• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I dunno. Why is Dark Samus is an echo of Samus, or Daisy an echo of Peach when canonically, they're all quite different from each other in moveset?

I mean, in a potential game where even lawyers can join the fight, I don they're willing to make a few stretches. Especially considering the Bowser Jr. Alts.
Yeah but in those cases they sorta make sense in ways persona one does not that's a giant leap

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I dunno. Why is Dark Samus is an echo of Samus, or Daisy an echo of Peach when canonically, they're all quite different from each other in moveset?

I mean, in a potential game where even lawyers can join the fight, I don they're willing to make a few stretches. Especially considering the Bowser Jr. Alts.
Besides summoning Personas, Makoto and Joker have absolutely nothing in common. It's not a Dark Samus/Daisy scenario where it could work. It's like making Erdrick an Echo of Link.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Bet that leak was made by LaxChris it's just silly enough to make sense only two of the characters made sense while the rest were ????

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC

As others have already said, the Persona protagonists are so fundamentally different in the weapons they use, their animations, and their methods of summoning Personas that implementing Minato as a clone of Joker would be an absolute disservice to Persona 3 fans, something I don't think Sakurai would do.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
First, it's Jedah, and second, there's one way that leak can go down and it's by simply announcing a date different from next Thursday, and that's what makes me hesitate it, there's more than enough days for the Direct to happen. But, I can't recall the last time a Direct happened just a day later after being announced, so maybe I might be missing something.
Remember Demitri? Or is it Dimitri? Or Dimetri?

D

Deleted member

Given how Joker's reveal trailer says Smash is crossing over with Persona 5 specifically, I'm not imagining any content from previous entries from his series. It's kind of Final Fantasy 7 where we don't see any other Final Fantasy game being represented.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Given how Joker's reveal trailer says Smash is crossing over with Persona 5 specifically, I'm not imagining any content from previous entries from his series. It's kind of Final Fantasy 7 where we don't see any other Final Fantasy game being represented.
The Bayonetta reveal just said "Smash x Bayonetta 2" yet had Bayonetta 1 tracks. We should at least expect a track or two from previous games.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's Demitri.
https://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters/demitri.html
Some Darkstalkers characters had errors in their localized names (think of an "Anguirus or Angilas" situation), hence why they're sometimes addressed with typos and such.
Nah, my point was that the dub was inconsistent. People get names wrong a lot. Though it was more a joke of things happening. Darkstalkers has it pretty good, as at least that name all derives from just alternate spellings with no tangible differences otherwise.

I didn't convey the joke well, so my bad.

D

Deleted member

In regards to modern Square-Enix stuff, I like the latest Dragon Quest games, Octopath Traveller and Kingdom Hearts.
I also heard that Nier and Bravely Default are sweet too, but I haven’t played those yet.

In general: Square does greedy stuff from time to time... but at the same time they have proved to the players that they are still able to bring quality titles to the market.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
The 4Channel post is as what is expected from most anonymous posts. On another note, I am of the mind that the inclusion of 2B is the perfect concoction for the biggest internet fireworks show that a Japanese third-party newcomer can create.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Nah, my point was that the dub was inconsistent. People get names wrong a lot. Though it was more a joke of things happening. Darkstalkers has it pretty good, as at least that name all derives from just alternate spellings with no tangible differences otherwise.

I didn't convey the joke well, so my bad.
Oh, my bad then.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh, my bad then.
It's alright. It does help that some of these names sound the same, so the spelling is less important overall. Jeddah and Jedah are the same name, just spelled differently, for instance. I don't think they ever used his name wrong, though.

Anyway, dubs get pretty bad that way sometimes. Darkstalkers just has one infamous example of it. Might've been more.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
No way are they adding Heavy of all characters. Maybe I'd have believed it when team fortress 2 was alive, but this is just silly. They won't add Nintendo characters from dead series like custom robo and golden sun, so why would they add a third party from a deaf series?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
No way are they adding Heavy of all characters. Maybe I'd have believed it when team fortress 2 was alive, but this is just silly. They won't add Nintendo characters from dead series like custom robo and golden sun, so why would they add a third party from a deaf series?
When did TF2 die? From the looks of it, while it is not the big thing it use to be, it's still around.

D

Deleted member

When did TF2 die? From the looks of it, while it is not the big thing it use to be, it's still around.
Its definetely not dead, with a still semi-active playerbase but not really much happens with it. I still play it sometimes and can find populated matches pretty often but it's not really changed much at all in a while.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
TF2 isn't dead. Last Christmas it matched its all-time concurrent player count and has been one of the most-played games on Steam for a decade... although it thrives in spite of Valve, not because of them.

Also no, as much as I would actually want a TF2 character, there's no way that's happening. There's really no reason to entertain it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just can't say a game is "dead" when there is still tens of thousands of people playing it at any given time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

RandomAce

Smash Champion
It would be funny if the direct was on Valentine’s Day.

As if I didn’t already have a life.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
While TF2 is around, the Valve rep I think would make most sense would definitely have to be Gordon Freeman (or Handsome freeman… whichever version you prefer -wink-).

… jk of course, lol

D

Deleted member

Hopefully they've realized how stupid an episodic release schedule would be.
I'mma chime in on this considering how excited I am about the VII Remake and the fact it's my most anticipated game of all time. Even more than Smash.

I'm all for the remake being released in parts/installments. Granted, they did announce that it would be episodic but pretty much retracted that statement by saying that each "episode" will be a full length game. When most people think episodic, they assume something along the lines like a telltale series or Life is Strange. Their motive for the remake isn't going by the common definition of an episodic game that we are all accustomed to. That probably won't stop them from calling it 'FFVII Remake Episode 1' or '... Episode 2' etc.. however their motive is retelling the whole story. What people need to realize (not saying that you don't necessarily) is that this isn't one game being released in multiple installments; instead it is one story being told in multiple installments and I firmly believe that it's the proper approach to take when telling the story of FFVII.

A lot of people can bring up the rebuttal about the size and storage of one PS4 disc and frankly, I think even one Blu-Ray would still be just a bit short on includng everything that the original game had to offer and then some. They want to give every bit of detail that the original had and considering how much compilations VII had with spin-offs and a movie I'm confident they would want to expand on certain things like the backstory of Zack for example. It would be very disappointing to fans of that character if he only got about 5-10 minutes of game time like he did in the original. If they were to put it all on one game, unfortunately that would most likely be Zack's fate for the remake. This is just one example though.

Now, I'm not an expert or a developer and I may not know these as facts but if you think about it and keep in mind everything that happens and that is in the original game, a seperate installment schedule is really the only way they can properly get the story across without making major changes to the plot or condensing character development and f***ing it up. They want to retell and expand. They want to stay faithful but do more. Die hard fans will flock to buy them all regardless and they know that. They're a company trying to make money and I can't fault them for that.

Sorry if I am coming off a bit hostile here and sorry for getting off topic. I just wanted to make it clear that there are fans of the original hyped for this remake that do not think it's a stupid idea at all and I wanted to present some reasons potentially why they took this approach. Personally, it just means more FFVII at the end of the day for me and it's my favourite game of all time. I consider it a blessing. Cheers!

Untouch

Smash Master
TF2 is NOT coming to Switch.
Valve is not reworking Source to make it work on Switch, especially with how Source 2 is coming.

And NO, they aren't porting it to Source 2 either, they've already said they aren't.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'mma chime in on this considering how excited I am about the VII Remake and the fact it's my most anticipated game of all time. Even more than Smash.

I'm all for the remake being released in parts/installments. Granted, they did announce that it would be episodic but pretty much retracted that statement by saying that each "episode" will be a full length game. When most people think episodic, they assume something along the lines like a telltale series or Life is Strange. Their motive for the remake isn't going by the common definition of an episodic game that we are all accustomed to. That probably won't stop them from calling it 'FFVII Remake Episode 1' or '... Episode 2' etc.. however their motive is retelling the whole story. What people need to realize (not saying that you don't necessarily) is that this isn't one game being released in multiple installments; instead it is one story being told in multiple installments and I firmly believe that it's the proper approach to take when telling the story of FFVII.

A lot of people can bring up the rebuttal about the size and storage of one PS4 disc and frankly, I think even one Blu-Ray would still be just a bit short on includng everything that the original game had to offer and then some. They want to give every bit of detail that the original had and considering how much compilations VII had with spin-offs and a movie I'm confident they would want to expand on certain things like the backstory of Zack for example. It would be very disappointing to fans of that character if he only got about 5-10 minutes of game time like he did in the original. If they were to put it all on one game, unfortunately that would most likely be Zack's fate for the remake. This is just one example though.

Now, I'm not an expert or a developer and I may not know these as facts but if you think about it and keep in mind everything that happens and that is in the original game, a seperate installment schedule is really the only way they can properly get the story across without making major changes to the plot or condensing character development and f***ing it up. They want to retell and expand. They want to stay faithful but do more. Die hard fans will flock to buy them all regardless and they know that. They're a company trying to make money and I can't fault them for that.

Sorry if I am coming off a bit hostile here and sorry for getting off topic. I just wanted to make it clear that there are fans of the original hyped for this remake that do not think it's a stupid idea at all and I wanted to present some reasons potentially why they took this approach. Personally, it just means more FFVII at the end of the day for me and it's my favourite game of all time. I consider it a blessing. Cheers!
I can't wait for the news this year, I'm super excited as well! It's finally our time now that KH3 is out at last.

D

Deleted member

I can't wait for the news this year, I'm super excited as well! It's finally our time now that KH3 is out at last.
Indeed! I've literally been saying the same thing since KH3 released haha!

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
So I want to ask theres alot of kingdom Hearts fans in here how do you guys feel about 3 are you satisfied or dissatisfied

Top Bottom