• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So that leak is hella fake. Heavy Weapons Guy would not make it into Smash, even if TF2 wasn’t as irrelevant as it is, due to his freaking heavy weapon.

Plus Persona 3 guy as an Echo of Joker is laughable. Apollo could work but it’d be weird, as I would expect Phoenix to use his Magatama.

Masked Man, 2B and PW I’d adore, but 2B seems unlikely and MM is just so random.

Well I'm guessing now it's just waiting for next week's direct and hope the SE dilemma gets resolved. Just curious, not a specific character, but if the next reveal wasn't an SE one, what developer do you think it could be? Namco? Capcom? Microsoft? etc. Usually we talk about characters we want, but I want to know which dev/company would be the next one in your mind if you don't think of a specific character in particular, just to have a different twist or perspective on predictions.

I can't remember right off my head if there are any special dates or events for either companies or franchises, that could fit well for a reveal of a character of theirs into Smash. In case anyone is more informed on that and can add it to their predictions.

Also… Am I truly the only one who thinks they won't be limiting the newcomers to one per company/developer? I truly believe the chances of two SE, two capcom, namco, or two whoever's reps is a thing that could happen if the characters are both big enough.
I always bet on Capcom. Those mofos are prolific and they’re pulling the biggest comeback in gaming right now, so they’re gonna want a bigger piece of the Smash pie.
What are y'all gonna do if the direct on the 13th happens and we don't get any smash news?
Depends on what news we do get. If it’s nothing but release dates for already announced games, or obvious game announcements (as in Metroid Prime Trilogy, Wii U ports, Mario Golf or Star Fox Racing), I’m gonna be pissed.
If Nintendo manages to surprise me, it’s usually very good.
I just had a thought, if Sora got in, what would he think of the Phantom Thieves and their heart thievery?
I smell a storymode!

Jk fanfic will have to do.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Masked Man, 2B and PW I’d adore, but 2B seems unlikely and MM is just so random.
I maintain that 2B's inclusion would produce the largest internet fireworks show that a Japanese third-party character reveal can create.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
So that leak is hella fake. Heavy Weapons Guy would not make it into Smash, even if TF2 wasn’t as irrelevant as it is, due to his freaking heavy weapon.

Plus Persona 3 guy as an Echo of Joker is laughable. Apollo could work but it’d be weird, as I would expect Phoenix to use his Magatama.

I always bet on Capcom. Those mofos are prolific and they’re pulling the biggest comeback in gaming right now, so they’re gonna want a bigger piece of the Smash pie.

Depends on what news we do get. If it’s nothing but release dates for already announced games, or obvious game announcements (as in Metroid Prime Trilogy, Wii U ports, Mario Golf or Star Fox Racing), I’m gonna be pissed.
If Nintendo manages to surprise me, it’s usually very good.

I smell a storymode!

Jk fanfic will have to do.
Bonus if ya do the research persona 3 protagonist can't use knife's that's all Joker uses there is a character in persona 5 I think could work but idk

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
A mixed bag for me.
There were some emotional moments, the writing was a bit better from previous installments, the characters are nice, but there are still some flaws that I can`t really ignore. I`m expecting KHIV to be better. Hopefully.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Bonus if ya do the research persona 3 protagonist can't use knife's that's all Joker uses there is a character in persona 5 I think could work but idk
Well, Joker also uses guns, so theoretically we could have a Joker that just uses guns with P3 guy as an Echo. But then we get down to Personae and I doubt Joker doesn’t have Arsene with him.

Plus, either P3 guy doesn’t do his signature move or the game’s rating goes up a notch because dude’s shooting himself in the head.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Well, Joker also uses guns, so theoretically we could have a Joker that just uses guns with P3 guy as an Echo. But then we get down to Personae and I doubt Joker doesn’t have Arsene with him.

Plus, either P3 guy doesn’t do his signature move or the game’s rating goes up a notch because dude’s shooting himself in the head.
yeah that's a lot of work that's not worth the trouble

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Joker and P3's Protagonist are opposites of each other.

Joker has a Fire Persona, uses only knives and guns, is know for being agile and athletic with a lot of stylish moves.
P3's Protagonist has a Dark Persona, can use any weapon except knives and guns, which are Joker's main weapons, and he's not very athletic, being more reserved.

Not to mention that they used the wrong name to refer to P3's protagonist in the leak. His canon name in the games is Makoto Yuki, he's only called Minato Arisato in the manga.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Joker and P3's Protagonist are opposites of each other.

Joker has a Fire Persona, uses only knifes and guns, is know for being agile and athletic with a lot of stylish moves.
P3's Protagonist has a Dark Persona, can use any weapon except knives and guns, which are Joker's main weapons, as is not very athletic, being more reserved.

Not to mention that they used the wrong name to refer to P3's protagonist in the leak. His canon name in the games is Makoto Yuki, he's only called Minato Arisato in the manga.
I know I'm nitpicking but: Arsene uses Curse spells, and Orpheus uses Fire; not vice versa. Aside from that, you're completely correct.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
2B and Phoenix are my most-wanted now Joker is in so I'd die if it was true but also it literally makes zero sense. Also, not canon name for P3 Protag. And why him? Yu Narukami from P4 is still a little more popular I'd argue and as mentioned he doesn't fight the same at all. And if Apollo was in the game I'd rather see him as part of Phoenix's moveset with Athena because Perceive and Mood Matrix would be great additions to flesh him out.

Absolutely silly. Fun tho, I missed fake leaks.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
You guys are gonna be so tilted when you find out that the Square rep was a literal shape the whole time.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I've been saying since day one the Square rep is a literal Square rep and that's why Minecraft Steve is coming BABY

Lundcraft

Smash Apprentice
I know a few people that would be upset over Erdrick over Sora and such, but It would be crazy big if we get Dragon Quest in smash, just because its such a big series and so old. Whoever we get, I welcome with open arms and hope will be a joy to play!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know a few people that would be upset over Erdrick over Sora and such, but It would be crazy big if we get Dragon Quest in smash, just becasue its such a big series and so old. Whoever we get, I welcome with open arms and hope will be a joy to play!
Same.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
The only series that deserves a spot more than Dragon Quest are Resident Evil and Minecraft

Teeb147

Smash Legend
vice versa for me. i hate all this "____ deserves to be in smash" talk but kingdom hearts really hasn't earned its spot in gaming history the way DQ has. getting Sora or Geno over a DQ rep would be like getting Bubsy or Gex over Sonic imo.
Oof, try not to stir the pot too much, There's lots of sora fans around too. KH is a pretty big deal, and I could easily see sora in smash, if nintendo really wanted to (and disney, etc). i dont like the 'deserving a spot' talks either, so maybe we dont have to go there. :O

D

Deleted member

The only series that deserves a spot more than Dragon Quest are Resident Evil and Minecraft
Maybe Crash Bandicoot and Halo too, but it is true that RE, Minecraft and DQ are really needed.

Oof, try not to stir the pot too much, There's lots of sora fans around too. KH is a pretty big deal, and I could easily see sora in smash, if nintendo really wanted to (and disney, etc). i dont like the 'deserving a spot' talks either, so maybe we dont have to go there. :O
I think the same.
Every character has the same rights to get in Smash without any kind of preference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
vice versa for me. i hate all this "____ deserves to be in smash" talk but kingdom hearts really hasn't earned its spot in gaming history the way DQ has. getting Sora or Geno over a DQ rep would be like getting Bubsy or Gex over Sonic imo.
If a highly anticipated series with 7+ games under it's belt doesn't deserve a spot in smash, (and is worthy of comparison to gex, apparently) what does?
I don't even support sora for smash, but this is just a wrong statement.

D

Deleted member

https://twitter.com/tomotakino26/status/1093254293564547079
Do think think people should read this twitter thread, I am rather curious what people think and feel about this topic in general when it comes to Dragon Quest in smash.
I really don't think the rights are that much of an issue. Nintendo has been closely involved with the franchise since its inception, even publishing every game that releases on their platforms outside of Japan. Plus, there's also the Fortune Street games on Wii and DS which are crossovers between Mario and DQ.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
If we really wanna go down the legacy route

Step aside tots, biggest video game in history coming through.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Last edited:

hassoutobi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5344-2558-0842
Switch FC
SW 7858-1447-7386
If a highly anticipated series with 7+ games under it's belt doesn't deserve a spot in smash, (and is worthy of comparison to gex, apparently) what does?
I don't even support sora for smash, but this is just a wrong statement.
like i said, i don't think "deserving" or "not deserving" to be in smash is even a thing. it's just that in my opinion, DQ is a better fit for smash representation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

On the topic of weird leaks, I remember seeing a 4chan post after the datamines that the next characters would be in no particular order Erdrick, Banjo, “the chosen one”, and Goku, with a minecraft stage builder in an update. I’m guessing the chosen one is supposed to be referring to the Dragonborn or the Chosen Undead, but imagine if we got Goku on top of Erdrick.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
like i said, i don't think "deserving" or "not deserving" to be in smash is even a thing. it's just that in my opinion, DQ is a better fit for smash representation than KH if we were to look at smash as a celebration of gaming history. i don't think KH is irrelevant but DQ is just in a higher caliber.
As one DQ fan to another, let's not.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
i'm making it kinda clear all of this is just my opinion.
like i said, i don't think "deserving" or "not deserving" to be in smash is even a thing. it's just that in my opinion, DQ is a better fit for smash representation than KH if we were to look at smash as a celebration of gaming history. i don't think KH is irrelevant but DQ is just in a higher caliber.
You say there isn't a thing about deserving a spot, but then your opinion is about deserving a spot. :/
Smash isn't 'supposed' to be a celebration of gaming history, it just has a good amount of those types of characters. Then there's the whole arguments about the west, when it comes to DQ.

Like really, it's not worth it. When you have other dq fans arguing against you, you know there's something off.
I love your avatar tho :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Damn. This thread gave me a list of games to play
  • Dragon Quest 8 & 5
  • Final Fantasy 7
  • Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2

D

Deleted member

One of the reasons I would love to get Eight over Erdrick is this tiny and charming partner called Munchie:

View attachment 191374

This little pal can be controlled in specific places to access small or tiny places, and after a certain point in the game he can be used in some battles where he can attack with elemental moves or abilities after eating their respective cheese.

He also has another hidden twist regarding the plot, but I really want to let anyone find it out by playing the game or looking it through other options, since it is a good surprise.
Needless to say, he could be applied to Eight’s moveset in a neat and attractive way.

I am still hyped about the idea of getting Erdrick in Smash, but Eight also catches my attention too.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
  • Dragon Quest 8 & 5
  • Final Fantasy 7
  • Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2
If you are going to get into KH, buy the collections on PS4 if you can and follow a recommended play order. Trust me on this.

D

Deleted member

I don't have a PS4. My bro's computer at home can run things like DOOM and whatnot, so I'm sure I can emulate the games even if they're not the final mixes.

D

Deleted member

If you are going to get into KH, buy the collections on PS4 if you can and follow a recommended play order. Trust me on this.
Take in mind that “The Story So Far” wasn’t released in Europe.
The user could be european, so you should suggest more options.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
  • Dragon Quest 8 & 5
  • Final Fantasy 7
  • Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2
One of the reasons I would love to get Eight over Erdrick is this tiny and charming partner called Munchie:

View attachment 191374

This little pal can be controlled in specific places to access small or tiny places, and after a certain point in the game he can be used in some battles where he can attack with elemental moves or abilities after eating their respective cheese.

He also has another hidden twist regarding the plot, but I really want to let anyone find it out by playing the game or looking it through other options, since it is a good surprise.
Needless to say, he could be applied to Eight’s moveset in a neat and attractive way.

I am still hyped about the idea of getting Erdrick in Smash, but Eight also catches my attention too.
Even though I played quite a bit of DQ8, I have a hard time recommending it just because i feel like it aged worst than the other dq games. (and doesn't feel like a 'classic' to me)
Do some people here actually still like it and would play it? just wondering.

Last edited:
Top Bottom