• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

Even though I played quite a bit of DQ8, I have a hard time recommending it just because i feel like it aged worst than the other dq games.
Do some people here actually still like it and would play it? just wondering.
I do.
I played the PS2 version a lot when I was younger, and I am currently replaying it on my 3DS.

I really like this 3DS version.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
like i said, i don't think "deserving" or "not deserving" to be in smash is even a thing. it's just that in my opinion, DQ is a better fit for smash representation than KH if we were to look at smash as a celebration of gaming history. i don't think KH is irrelevant but DQ is just in a higher caliber.
I look at smash as a celebration of popular characters coming together to duke it out. If it was all about gaming history, newer characters like corrin and robin wouldn't be a consideration.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don't have a PS4. My bro's computer at home can run things like DOOM and whatnot, so I'm sure I can emulate the games even if they're not the final mixes.
Then things just got more complex.
Take in mind that “The Story So Far” wasn’t released in Europe.
The user could be european, so you should suggest more options.
I am not the most knowledgeable on this sort of thing.

hassoutobi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5344-2558-0842
Switch FC
SW 7858-1447-7386
I look at smash as a celebration of popular characters coming together to duke it out. If it was all about gaming history, newer characters like corrin and robin wouldn't be a consideration.
that's understandable. i just feel that picks like pac-man and megaman in 4 as well as simon and k rool in this game also show that a character/franchise's impact on gaming history is really relevant.

D

Deleted member

Play the final mixes or don't play them at all
Lol! I'll try. Vimm's Lair doesn't seem to have either final mix rom, though. Besides, if the series got popular because of the original games, I can probably stomach the originals. I'll just live without the bonus content.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
that's understandable. i just feel that picks like pac-man and megaman in 4 as well as simon and k rool in this game also show that a character/franchise's impact on gaming history is really relevant.
On the other hand, we got Bayo and Joker, not to mention Snake's inclusion had nothing to do with his gaming history. Even in the cases of Sonic and Cloud, Sakurai cited their popularity, not their age or impact.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Lol! I'll try. Vimm's Lair doesn't seem to have either final mix rom, though. Besides, if the series got popular because of the original games, I can probably stomach the originals. I'll just live without the bonus content.
Your way of thinking.

I like it a lot.

D

Deleted member

I feel like it's a combination of both.

The fact that we have both Mega Man and Corrin, or both PAC-MAN and Shulk, or both Simon and Bayonetta, shows that Sakurai probably takes both relevancy and impact on gaming history into account

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Splatoon was still pretty recent by the time they started smash 5. We also got isabelle, which only showed up in new leaf.
We might look at bayo too, which isn't quite that old either. In other words, it's all just cool characters, some classic, some not :)

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
https://twitter.com/tomotakino26/status/1093254293564547079
Do think think people should read this twitter thread, I am rather curious what people think and feel about this topic in general when it comes to Dragon Quest in smash.
It's not that Sugiyama doesn't want the rest of the world to hear his orchestral pices, he just doesn't want to give people a reason to not buy his ****. With the exception of DQ8, the JP and US music are the same. It's all MIDI.

D

Deleted member

Even though I played quite a bit of DQ8, I have a hard time recommending it just because i feel like it aged worst than the other dq games. (and doesn't feel like a 'classic' to me)
It's the one I grew up with and it even has a 3DS remake dedicated to it. It's considered one of the most well recognized Dragon Quest games in America. I think it'll be a good time.

D

Deleted member

It is definitely refreshing, shame that the final mix versions have important plot stuff hidden away in them.
I've already watched the plot summaries. I'm good.

And by good, I mean I do not care about the story much. Never fear.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
It's part of it, but it's not the whole equation. I feel like it's unfair to compare other popular picks to the likes of bubsy and gex just because one of them has more history than the other. (Incidentally, I'd support gex for smash in a heartbeat)

hassoutobi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5344-2558-0842
Switch FC
SW 7858-1447-7386
I feel like it's unfair to compare other popular picks to the likes of bubsy and gex just because one of them has more history than the other.
all i really meant is that in terms of JRPG representation as far as another Square Enix character, i would just prefer Dragon Quest. the Bubsy->Sonic comparison was just a hyperbole.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely this. I brought up Tetris to illustrate how silly the legacy argument was. Characters should be judged on their own merits and not "my industry peen is bigger than yours".

As a Puyo fan, I would be crushed if my girl Arle was passed over for a damn Tetromino. This is how some people feel about Erdrick.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Gonna have to disagree. Neither of those series deserve it over DQ imo.
Actually, they do. RE and Minecraft were also genre defining series when they first entered the gaming industry and are some of the most successful video game series to date.

And they’re also, y’know, popular worldwide.

It’s already a step above than being mostly popular in one part of the world. Yes, some DQ games reach the 1 mil mark here, but RE and Minecraft already past that by a lot. Not only that, but RE’s recent release, RE2R has been a big success, and DQ has a spin off BASED on Minecraft that already has a sequel.

Despite me not wanting Steve in Smash, I say they more than earn their place.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Absolutely this. I brought up Tetris to illustrate how silly the legacy argument was. Characters should be judged on their own merits and not "my industry peen is bigger than yours".

As a Puyo fan, I would be crushed if my girl Arle was passed over for a damn Tetromino. This is how some people feel about Erdrick.
But the thing is that it is possible to get a Puyo rep and a Tetris rep in Smash, even if it isn’t at the same time.

In my case, I don’t want my characters over others. That being said, it is important to remember that there isn’t a character in Smash who took the spot of another pick(and in case anyone brings up Decidueye, that was a case where Sakurai was given two options and he had to pick one, instead of Sakurai having a hate for Decidueye/strong bias for Incineroar).

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Actually, they do. RE and Minecraft were also genre defining series when they first entered the gaming industry and are some of the most successful video game series to date.

And they’re also, y’know, popular worldwide.

It’s already a step above than being mostly popular in one part of the world. Yes, some DQ games reach the 1 mil mark here, but RE and Minecraft already past that by a lot. Not only that, but RE’s recent release, RE2R has been a big success, and DQ has a spin off BASED on Minecraft that already has a sequel.

Despite me not wanting Steve in Smash, I say they more than earn their place.
Being more popular worldwide doesn't mean they're more deserving DQ for Smash though, and DQ games don't need other regions to crush RE in sales. Not to mention DQ has far more legacy with Nintendo than either of those series do. And if you wanna go with things based off other things then dam near every major RPG took influence from Dragon Quest. RE and Minecraft didn't define their genres to nearly the same extent that DQ did. Well maybe Minecraft but definitely not RE.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Being more popular worldwide doesn't mean they're more deserving DQ for Smash though, and DQ games don't need other regions to crush RE in sales. Not to mention DQ has far more legacy with Nintendo than either of those series do. And if you wanna go with things based off other things then dam near every major RPG took influence from Dragon Quest. RE and Minecraft didn't define their genres to nearly the same extent that DQ did.
Minecraft gave a lot of life to the sandbox genre, doh.
And many games in that genre after it are inspired by Minecraft (DQ Builders, LEGO Worlds, Disney Infinity, etc...).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
A lot of games can have something going and be considered for smash. History, popularity, sales, relevancy, fun, character and moveset potential, as well as sakurai or nintendo's ideologies.. +luck
All of that and more can be part of why a character can make it into smash :)

I was kind of hoping it wouldn't go towards these types of 'deserving' debates. ugh. well, hf if you can. i'll check back later.

Last edited:

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Minecraft gave a lot of the life to the sandbox genre, doh.
And many games in that genre after it are inspired by Minecraft (DQ Builders, LEGO Worlds, Disney Infinity, etc...).
And I still think the influence DQ had on the RPG genre was a bigger deal. The fact is is I don't like the legacy argument either but if someone is gonna say RE and Minecraft deserve it over DQ I'm gonna have to disagree.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
As I was thinking about the incorporation of mooks in Ultimate, I wonder how the Tonberry from Final Fantasy would fare? (Flashbacks of "Everyone's Grudge" intensify)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And I still think the influence DQ has on the RPG genre was a bigger deal. The fact is is I don't like the legacy argument either but if someone is gonna say RE and Minecraft deserve it over DQ I'm gonna have to disagree.
I kind of agree.
Mostly because there isn’t a rep who deserves a spot over any other.

I may think that the influence of Minecraft is also worth to talk about (as someone who loves DQ too), but it is true that nobody deserves a spot over the other characters.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Resident Evil basically created survival horror. Minecraft has so many games trying to be like it. Hell, even the Battle Royale genre can be traced back to Minecraft Hunger Games servers

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I just don’t like it when someone says “X series deserves it over X series” or “X series doesn’t deserve to get in over X series”.

There are several big series that have their own merits for inclusion, and to be fair, if they didn’t get in after we got Bayonetta and Persona in Smash, which I would definitely say aren’t as big as some the other series previously mentioned, then it just becomes null.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
But the thing is that it is possible to get a Puyo rep and a Tetris rep in Smash, even if it isn’t at the same time.

In my case, I don’t want my characters over others. That being said, it is important to remember that there isn’t a character in Smash who took the spot of another pick(and in case anyone brings up Decidueye, that was a case where Sakurai was given two options and he had to pick one, instead of Sakurai having a hate for Decidueye/strong bias for Incineroar).
I really hope to not come across as dumping on other characters when I say these things (aside from the idea of a playable Tetromino because fdyigajsjf WHAT), but more to explain some frustrations that people have. I'm aware of the slot argument, but the snub is still felt.

In any case, I wish I cared for DQ more as it's actually in a similar spot stateside as Puyo is. I sympathize with your plights and I wish SE and Sega were more competent in handling both of these franchises in their localization efforts.

D

Deleted member

I really hope to not come across as dumping on other characters when I say these things (aside from the idea of a playable Tetromino because fdyigajsjf WHAT), but more to explain some frustrations that people have. I'm aware of the slot argument, but the snub is still felt.

In any case, I wish I cared for DQ more as it's actually in a similar spot stateside as Puyo is. I sympathize with your plights and I wish SE and Sega were more competent in handling both of these franchises in their localization efforts.
I appreciate your support a lot.

And in regards to Tetris I would be fine just with a stage. I wouldn’t mind the idea of getting an echo of a possible Puyo rep based on a character from Puyo Puyo Tetris.

That being said, Tetromino would feel strange for me too.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
I just don’t like it when someone says “X series deserves it over X series” or “X series doesn’t deserve to get in over X series”.

There are several big series that have their own merits for inclusion, and to be fair, if they didn’t get in after we got Bayonetta and Persona in Smash, which I would definitely say aren’t as big as some the other series previously mentioned, then it just becomes null.
So why are you doing the same thing in reply to me simply defending DQ? To be clear I actually agree with you. I only said something because the people were doing the same thing against DQ. We're long past the "Who deserves it" point.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
If it wasn't for Square Enix, Dragon Quest would already be in Smash.
That's how important it is to Nintendo.
Denying this is fruitless and silly. You're simply wrong if you think otherwise.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Even though I played quite a bit of DQ8, I have a hard time recommending it just because i feel like it aged worst than the other dq games. (and doesn't feel like a 'classic' to me)
Seriously?
I find it to be amazing!

I mean, ok, TBH, I didn't get that into it the first time I played it. But when I replayed it as a new fan of the series, I find it to be the best one.
My only complaint was the lack of more party members, and the wagon system from 4~6.

I loved how they handled the monster summoning even it lacked the variety of DQV.

And the characters are really memorable. I could go on. My personal least favorite is 9, but others consider it their favorite, do it depends on the person.

D

Deleted member

Hey Square guys and gals. I did some drawings of some of the people I think are most likely to be chosen for the SE rep for hype.

First is the most expected and my second most wanted out of the candidates. Here's Erdrick:

Next is Geno, my most wanted SE candidate. This drawing's months old and I probably already posted it, but it's nice to compile him with the other people. The star road will answer our prayers one day, fellas.

Next is Sora, who is someone I started growing more attached to the more I grew interested in Kingdom Hearts. If he gets in, it'll be even more reason to try the series out. As a fighter, I completely love his abilities. His story is a head-scratcher, but the games are popular for a reason. Soundtracks are also beautiful and the Disney stuff is epic.

Last but not least is the possible Piranha Plant scenario where we get Slime, who's actually my brother's most wanted character. Not mine, though.
:urg:

Top Bottom