• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Stop being spiteful, you haven't even played SMRPG, liquid just expressed a lot of kindness for our cause and we don't need you pretending he's a "fake" supporter. It's fine to be hype as hell AND feel bad for some fans, which is what he's doing.
The fact that he needs to clarify it all the time makes it feel a hell of a lot less genuine. If I had to clarify "I'm a Dragon Quest Fan" every time somthing negative happened on the DQ front; you'd begin to doubt my sincerity.

D

Deleted member

Just cause you repeat this ad nausiem; doesn't mean I buy it. You have a ****ing DQ icon man; don't pretend like you aren't hyped as hell. Just be honest
You know that being hyped for one thing doesn't mean that you don't care or hate another. Many of the Erdrick supporters here like a lot of the SE games including SMRPG and if we could we would have everyone on the list.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Okay can we stop saying that "Erdrick couldn't have these stats".
Erdrick has never been playable in an action game, he isn't playable in DQ Heroes. Any Smash interpretation of him would be a totally fresh take, there's nothing to go on how he "would" play.
That’s actually a really good point.

People are trying to make jumps in the stats when we don’t know how he’ll play in a Smash-like environment. Just comparing him to other swordfighters isn’t enough.

And that’s still assuming that Erdrick is “Brave”.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
The cold hard fact is that DQ is getting in ONLY because Geno isn't in. There would be no scenario when we would get both; so by wanting Erdrick, you acknowledge he'd have to get in at Geno's expense. That's just how it is.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The fact that he needs to clarify it all the time makes it feel a hell of a lot less genuine. If I had to clarify "I'm a Dragon Quest Fan" every time somthing negative happened on the DQ front; you'd begin to doubt my sincerity.
Well sorry that it feels oh so ingenuine to you but I know how liquid behaves and he's been incredibly respectful towards Geno fans and even has stated his love for SMRPG even after rude fans attack him and accuse him of being ingenuine.

He clarifies, I'm sure, because some people will assume he hates SMRPG otherwise.

The cold hard fact is that DQ is getting in ONLY because Geno isn't in. There would be no scenario when we would get both; so by wanting Erdrick, you acknowledge he'd have to get in at Geno's expense. That's just how it is.
LMK what the actual problem with this is when you can

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The cold hard fact here is that you are issuing nonsensical ramblings and trying to stir up conflict, no character was ever competing with one another. If we get Geno its because that's what Nintendo wanted, if we get Erdrick its cause Nintendo wanted, if we get both the same and so on. So please calm down, and just think before continuing with your childish behavior.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Sure it's an Either or situation but just cause he prefers one character or series over another doesn't mean he hates the latter. from My knowledge LiquidMetal has been nothing but Respectful towards Geno fans and SMRPG as a whole. Don't attack people just cause you don't get what you want it's immature and makes Geno fans look Immature and like a bunch of Man-Children.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Just cause you repeat this ad nausiem; doesn't mean I buy it. You have a ****ing DQ icon man; don't pretend like you aren't hyped as hell. Just be honest
OK slow down.

It’s fine if you don’t like DQ and prefer someone else to be the Square rep. I’m not super fond of DQ myself.

It’s NOT fine when you call out someone for liking something that you don’t like.

If Geno was as highly speculated as Erdrick, would you want someone bashing you for wanting him because he seems really likely?

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't exactly agree. The two aren't exactly in direct competition with each other unlike say, Cloud and Terra/Bartz or Joker and Yu Narukami.

While any character would decrease the chances of another character by virtue of it being a zero-sum game with a limited amount of DLC characters (5 in total), they're from separate franchises and if Nintendo wanted to go through the effort of putting Geno in and SE would agree to it, then they would.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Well sorry that it feels oh so ingenuine to you but I know how liquid behaves and he's been incredibly respectful towards Geno fans and even has stated his love for SMRPG even after rude fans attack him and accuse him of being ingenuine.

He clarifies, I'm sure, because some people will assume he hates SMRPG otherwise.

LMK what the actual problem with this is when you can
Because while Geno fans have been waiting over 10 years; people have just started hopping on Dragon Quests **** a few months ago. That's the goddamn problem. But just like Incineroar; people have been "wanting him all along!"

D

Deleted member

Kinda don't even know how to respond but anyways uuh how about those square enix characters huh?

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Geno really has nothing to do with any other Square Enix character, and the comparison isn't fair to either. The IP tangle SMRPG's in is a real shame, and I wish Nintendo could just work out a deal with Square to get their hands on the rights.

I like M&L and Paper Mario, or at least I used to, but SMRPG really is something special in itself, and I'd rather have that specific thing than a substitute. I wouldn't put it up with DQV, FFVI or Chrono Trigger, but I do genuinely like SMRPG better than Earthbound (!), FFIV or DQVI. I like SMRPG more as a game than I care about Geno specifically as a character (I just like Peach and Bowser too much to use the new guys very often), but I get why people like him.

Man, I fired up my Wii the other day so I could play Dragon Quest Swords finally (and probably Metroid Prime again...), and there was SMRPG on the dash, between Mega Man 9 and Rondo of Blood.

Okay can we stop saying that "Erdrick couldn't have these stats".
Erdrick has never been playable in an action game, he isn't playable in DQ Heroes. Any Smash interpretation of him would be a totally fresh take, there's nothing to go on how he "would" play.
The new hero characters from, uh, Heroes aren't a bad place to start for a rough idea. They do represent the same sort of archetype as Erdrick, though they're missing a bunch of spells. I wouldn't be surprised to see an attack or two from Heroes sneak into Smash.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Because while Geno fans have been waiting over 10 years; people have just started hopping on Dragon Quests **** a few months ago. That's the goddamn problem. But just like Incineroar; people have been "wanting him all along!"
Stay mad my dude lol you only started wanting him months ago so I could call you a bandwagoner just the same, I thought you were done with this "NO HE'S NOT A TRUE FAN" bull**** but you're just plain out letting me down.

Also screw off with the Incineroar quip. I wanted Incineroar pre-leak.

Kinda don't even know how to respond but anyways uuh how about those square enix characters huh?
I think girl Erdrick is real cool.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I wish I could live in the world where Erdrick and Geno aren't direct competitors, but that's sadly not reality. If you think "two track" Square Enix is willing to give us TWO DLC characters, then I just don't know what to tell you at this point.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I wish I could live in the world where Erdrick and Geno aren't direct competitors, but that's sadly not reality. If you think "two track" Square Enix is willing to give us TWO DLC characters, then I just don't know what to tell you at this point.
Dude Nintendo doesn't just get offered Geno and go "nahh we want ERDRICK"
It was never a competition because it's incredibly doubtful Geno and Erdrick were ever put against each other in the first place

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
This thread is turning back into a dumpster fire.

I am a pretty big Super Mario RPG fan (it was my first RPG ever, and one of my favorite games for the SNES), however, I personally think Dragon Quest does deserve a place in Smash Bros. I have not even ever played a Dragon Quest title.

My dream pick Square character would be Crono. I would be happy even if he was just a spirit (as well as the rest of his comrades).

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I’d personally like a Bravely Default rep.

It was an idea I supported in the general discussion thread far before the leaked 7 list came out.

The fact that it’s even remotely possible with the “Brave” stuff already makes me happy.

D

Deleted member

Yeah those Square enix characters sure are good picks no matter which one gets in huh? Geno, a character who people have been wanting for a decade and who could be completely unique to Smash.
Erdrick/Slime/Luminary, Characters that represent one of the biggest franchises still yet to be in smash,.
Septhiroth, a character who is Iconic to Square and who everybody knows.
Chrono, a character from what is considered to be one of the best RPG's in history.
and Sora, a character who is important to this day and age's gaming industry and who is Iconic. ALL good choices, Shame it can only be one of them though.

D

Deleted member

Yeah those Square enix characters sure are good picks no matter which one gets in huh? Geno, a character who people have been wanting for a decade and who could be completely unique to Smash.
Erdrick/Slime/Luminary, Characters that represent one of the biggest franchises still yet to be in smash,.
Septhiroth, a character who is Iconic to Square and who everybody knows.
Chrono, a character from what is considered to be one of the best RPG's in history.
and Sora, a character who is important to this day and age's gaming industry and who is Iconic. ALL good choices, Shame it can only be one of them though.
I do think at least Sora could get in with another, since he's a Disney character technically.
But yeah that's a common sentiment I've seen and I have to agree, SE has so many good characters they could choose from

D

Deleted member

People just drop it. I think we called out the negative dude a lot already so its pretty much pointless if he never changes his behavior.
I personally would like to see Lara Croft even if she isn't really an og SEcharacter, or Agnes from Bravely Default since I liked it. Both are pretty cool characters and could potentially have cool movesets.

Last edited by a moderator:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Dude Nintendo doesn't just get offered Geno and go "nahh we want ERDRICK"
It was never a competition because it's incredibly doubtful Geno and Erdrick were ever put against each other in the first place
Who said it would be Nintendo?
Nintendo: Hey can we have Geno this time? We've been really cooperative!
Square: Dragon Quest isn't selling too good in the west... time for a THIRD ad campaign!
Nitendo: But People really want Geno...
Square: Oh I'm sorry; do we have to pull Cloud out, Mr Sakurai?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Square: Dragon Quest isn't selling too good in the west... time for a THIRD ad campaign!
You act like Squenix are some ****in evil masterminds when this is most certainly not what happened lol, no "hostage situation" **** like this happens when it's literally just discussing DLC plans

They were never directly competing, STOP antagonizing people on this thread for doing what you've tried to get them to do constantly; supporting Geno.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
You act like Squenix are some ****in evil masterminds when this is most certainly not what happened lol, no "hostage situation" **** like this happens when it's literally just discussing DLC plans

They were never directly competing, STOP antagonizing people on this thread for doing what you've tried to get them to do constantly; supporting Geno.
Square is barely above EA and Activision. Its sad; but it's true.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Stop being spiteful, you haven't even played SMRPG, liquid just expressed a lot of kindness for our cause and we don't need you pretending he's a "fake" supporter. It's fine to be hype as hell AND feel bad for some fans, which is what he's doing.
Wow, he hasn’t even played Super Mario RPG but wants to argue with a person who at least played the games where the character hails from.

Actually, here’s a fun question, have we all played the game if where these characters come from? My most recent game from the Square list was DQXI and my goodness that game was gorgeous on the PS4. So, I’ve played all if not most of the games on here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wow, he hasn’t even played Super Mario RPG but wants to argue with a person who at least played the games where the character hails from.

Actually, here’s a fun question, have we all playedthe game if where these characters come from? My most recent game from the Square list was DQXI and my goodness that game was gorgeous on the PS4. So, I’ve played all if not m
I've covered all of them except KH, I've never really been a Disney fan so it was never of much interest to me but I get it's popular, I've seen what Sora can do too, I think he would be pretty cool in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Even then he's not really doing a good job with trying to make people support Geno if anything it's making the Geno fanbase look worse.

They may have Screwed up in the past but just cause they Want DQ in Smash does not put them anywhere near Money-grubbing Loot box loving EA and Activision. I may not like it, None of the Geno fanbase May like it but if DQ really is the Square rep it's probably cause SAKURAI is a fan of DQ and would love for Erdrick to be in Smash. Why would Square decline? they wouldn't Sakurai Likes DQ and Square wants to Push DQ in the West.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
And Nintendo holds even more power over them. Like god damn dude. THEY'RE NINTENDO. That should be enough to hush you up.
Also, stop acting like Squenix just despises Geno when they've given permission to have him represented in multiple forms in Smash.
Also, thanks for ignoring my whole point about ceasing your ignorant hatred of those who support Geno.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
Huh? You're outta pocket right now my friendo.

Ok look, I really would be much happier if DQ or anything Akira Toriyama never touched this game because his art style never clicked with me, but you have got to stop being so toxic that you are coming up with scenarios that never happened. Square would not threaten to take out Cloud to get Erdrick in this game especially as DLC that's just insane. Look, I understand you want Geno in this game, and complaining about people hopping on the bandwagon and saying they wanted someone they really didn't is stupid but that is not a fault of the character that is a fault of the community, and you are labelling that onto a character you simply do not like.

Look, I want Sora pretty badly, but being this toxic is ridiculous. Will I be disappointed? Yes, absolutely. The only thing that would've made me saltier was when Corrin got revealed lmao. But reacting like this? That's asinine my friend.

Also huh? What? Square's been trying to get their **** together the past few years aside from milking FFXV to no end.

D

Deleted member

Actually, here’s a fun question, have we all played the game if where these characters come from? My most recent game from the Square list was DQXI and my goodness that game was gorgeous on the PS4. So, I’ve played all if not m
I think I've played all the games on the list except DQIII, but have played other entries in the DQ series. Can say I enjoyed them all.

D

Deleted member

Actually, here’s a fun question, have we all played the game if where these characters come from? My most recent game from the Square list was DQXI and my goodness that game was gorgeous on the PS4. So, I’ve played all if not most of the games on here.
I've played Some DQ 3, Some FF7, and Most of SMRPG. I want to play KH but I don't have a PS, and Chrono trigger I've never gotten around to playing. that Recent DQ game the something S being ported over to Switch I might get depending on what else comes out that year.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Huh? You're outta pocket right now my friendo.

Ok look, I really would be much happier if DQ or anything Akira Toriyama never touched this game because his art style never clicked with me, but you have got to stop being so toxic that you are coming up with scenarios that never happened. Square would not threaten to take out Cloud to get Erdrick in this game especially as DLC that's just insane. Look, I understand you want Geno in this game, and complaining about people hopping on the bandwagon and saying they wanted someone they really didn't is stupid but that is not a fault of the character that is a fault of the community, and you are labelling that onto a character you simply do not like.

Look, I want Sora pretty badly, but being this toxic is ridiculous. Will I be disappointed? Yes, absolutely. The only thing that would've made me saltier was when Corrin got revealed lmao. But reacting like this? That's asinine my friend.

Also huh? What? Square's been trying to get their **** together the past few years aside from milking FFXV to no end.
They totally could have. It's not like all DLC happened AFTER Cloud was on the roster. DQ in DLC might have been in the negotiations when securing Cloud to base roster. "We'll let you have Cloud; but we want to choose the DLC character"

-Coco-

Smash Ace
I have a DQ icon too while also being a big contributor to Geno discussions on the Geno thread leading alll the way to release. You make the Geno fan community which I am a part of (have been for 10 years now) look bad when you act like this.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
They totally could have. It's not like all DLC happened AFTER Cloud was on the roster. DQ in DLC might have been in the negotiations when securing Cloud to base roster. "We'll let you have Cloud; but we want to choose the DLC character"
At this point you're just making a completely hypothetical and unrealistic situation to further bring down DQ in Smash

Top Bottom