• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
That’s actually a really good point.

People are trying to make jumps in the stats when we don’t know how he’ll play in a Smash-like environment. Just comparing him to other swordfighters isn’t enough.

And that’s still assuming that Erdrick is “Brave”.
Would someone here with actual Dragon Quest knowledge care to explain Erdrick's playstyle in his own games?
Like, as an RPG party member, what does he do, and how does he play?

Because if you are going to make the claim that "We can't say Erdrick wouldn't match these stats" as if he doesn't have his own stats in his games that would be used as a basis.

D

Deleted member

I actually didn’t expect an actual Square character there.

I honestly thought you were going to say something along the lines of “Mother 3 localization”.
I honestly thought I would too

Gex does have 3 letters in his name :p

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
How is this unrealistic? Sounds like a regular business negotiation to me
"Hey so even though you asked for one character we're gonna force two on to you even though we are a smaller company in all aspects and you actually hold the power here"

Yes very realistic

You're also drifting off from your earlier hypothesis that DQ was basically holding Geno hostage. So which is it?

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
They totally could have. It's not like all DLC happened AFTER Cloud was on the roster. DQ in DLC might have been in the negotiations when securing Cloud to base roster. "We'll let you have Cloud; but we want to choose the DLC character"
Ok first off no that's not how that works. And if it did work like that, then yeah, and who's saying that they picked the DLC character and it absolutely was Erdrick?

We know now it's not Geno because he's a spirit, but who knows? Maybe they picked Sora, or Neku, or 2B, or god damn Gex for all we know. Just because everyone's SAYING something is happening doesn't mean it is until we know for a fact it is. Text leaks hold about as much weight as a paper airplane, even if they are coming from a place that seems credible. Even though they aren't final, looking at the stats in the game and people who've tested them have said it doesn't seem quite fit for Erdrick.

Is Erdrick out? No, not at all. Is he in? We don't know.

Quit whining about a character who's not even in the game yet for christ's sake.

D

Deleted member

Would someone here with actual Dragon Quest knowledge care to explain Erdrick's playstyle in his own games?
Like, as an RPG party member, what does he do, and how does he play?

Because if you are going to make the claim that "We can't say Erdrick wouldn't match these stats" as if he doesn't have his own stats in his games that would be used as a basis.
The point though is that he's never been playable in an action game; only in a turn based game that you hardly seem him moving in anyways. Making that transition from turn-based game to action game would be largely to interpretation.
His stats are mostly well rounded, being moderately good in every department and is able to equip and use many different types of weapons and cast various types of spells.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
"Hey so even though you asked for one character we're gonna force two on to you even though we are a smaller company in all aspects and you actually hold the power here"

Yes very realistic

You're also drifting off from your earlier hypothesis that DQ was basically holding Geno hostage. So which is it?
I never said they were holding GENO hostage. They would be holding CLOUD hostage.

We know now it's not Geno because he's a spirit, but who knows?
Oh you actually believe that? Well I kind of wish I didn't try to convince you to my side of the argument then. People who believe spirits deconfirm are completely stuck within their line of thinking.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I never said they were holding GENO hostage. They would be holding CLOUD hostage.
Okay, well, thanks for the correction, even with that my point still stands. Good god.

People who believe spirits deconfirm are completely stuck within their line of thinking.
Yes, OptimisticStriker
Tell us more about people completely stuck within their line of thinking

tenor (4).gif

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Wow, he hasn’t even played Super Mario RPG but wants to argue with a person who at least played the games where the character hails from.

Actually, here’s a fun question, have we all played the game if where these characters come from? My most recent game from the Square list was DQXI and my goodness that game was gorgeous on the PS4. So, I’ve played all if not most of the games on here.
I really have to play XI...

Anyway:

Sephiroth: Of course! At least 4 times!

Crono: Can't Even count how many times, but approximately 23 due to the many endings.

Geno: Yes, I did beat SMRPG. It was a Unique experience, I wish I had given it a chance the very first time I played it. And I very much wish Geno and Mallow starred in a new M&L game!

Slime: 9 out of 11 Main games. And 3 spinoffs.

Erdrick: Yes. DQ3 is tied as my fave DQ with DQ8. Played it 4 times, 3 versions.

Luminary: Desperately want to. Waiting for Switch version.

Sora: KH1, CoM, KH2.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice

Oh you actually believe that? Well I kind of wish I didn't try to convince you to my side of the argument then. People who believe spirits deconfirm are completely stuck within their line of thinking.
they wouldn't hold a character hostage that's stupid lol

also I don't need to be on your side because first of all why on god's green earth would I want to do that. Secondly, yes they really do, and if they don't, then it's not helping their chances. Sakurai mentioned all BUT the fighters get spirits. Joker does not have a spirit despite TMS characters in the game, and Piranha Plant does not have a spirit despite almost every other main Mario enemy also in. They also take like a fair bit of dev time.

Spirits definitely deconfirm. If they don't, then none of them will be fighters anyway and I'm very much of that opinion and you can try holding it to me.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
They totally could have. It's not like all DLC happened AFTER Cloud was on the roster. DQ in DLC might have been in the negotiations when securing Cloud to base roster. "We'll let you have Cloud; but we want to choose the DLC character"
I think you’re missing one itty bitty thing during your whole rant...

Erdrick IS NOT CONFIRMED TO BE DLC.

You’re ranting over a character that isn’t even in the game yet.

And thanks to this attitude, you’ve made me want Geno even LESS than I already do, even less than any DQ Rep.

So if you were trying to convince me to like Geno more, you’ve done the exact opposite.

I’m sorry Geno supporters. I really do wish you all the best in getting Geno in.

But it only takes one person for me to completely change my want for a character.

It happened with Waluigi, and now it’s happening with Geno.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
Hey; I'm just waiting for arguments that make sense. "But stats could change" just doesn't cut it in my book, chief.
but they can

and from the people I've talked to, including some leakers who had access to the ingame files, they have before.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
they wouldn't hold a character hostage that's stupid lol

also I don't need to be on your side because first of all why on god's green earth would I want to do that. Secondly, yes they really do, and if they don't, then it's not helping their chances. Sakurai mentioned all BUT the fighters get spirits. Joker does not have a spirit despite TMS characters in the game, and Piranha Plant does not have a spirit despite almost every other main Mario enemy also in. They also take like a fair bit of dev time.

Spirits definitely deconfirm. If they don't, then none of them will be fighters anyway and I'm very much of that opinion and you can try holding it to me.
Aye nope nope nope we ain't doing the Spirits argument in my sweet baby Squenix thread
(also the Piranha Plant example is selective bias, Monty Mole's also do not have Spirits, there are multiple Mario goons who do not have Spirits; and I'm pretty sure you and I both know the Joker example is bull****)
(but please)
(not in this poor baby squenix thread)

Hey; I'm just waiting for arguments that make sense. "But stats could change" just doesn't cut it in my book, chief.
And hey, I'm just waiting for you to stop antagonizing Erdrick fans for no reason, acting like they're "fake fans", going against your own mission of trying to recruit Geno fans, creating nonsensical and hypothetical bull**** DLC situations, and to maybe get it past your skull that yes, "stats could change" is a valid argument, and if that isn't enough for you, Brave = Yuusha should be enough, thanks.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Nice, another "Gezora corners discussion with his tentacle jump because he doesn't like Dragon Quest" chapter.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If a persons opinion on a character changes because of one solitary person; they didn't really support the character anyways.
but they can

and from the people I've talked to, including some leakers who had access to the ingame files, they have before.
I agree with you actually. But couldn't we say that the stats could also change to be even less in Erdricks favor? All I'm saying is; if the main argument is "well it COULD happen rather than "this is how it could work with the information we have so far" then I don't find it very valid. I don't want to deal in hypothetical, I want to deal with the evidence on the table.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
If a persons opinion on a character changes because of one solitary person; they didn't really support the character anyways.

I agree with you actually. But couldn't we say that the stats could also change to be even less in Erdricks favor? All I'm saying is; if the main argument is "well it COULD happen rather than "this is how it could work with the information we have so far" then I don't find it very valid. I don't want to deal in hypothetical, I want to deal with the evidence on the table.
I cannot tell you how ****ing tired I am of that braindead "WELL THEY DIDN'T REALLY SUPPORT THE CHARACTER IN THE FIRST PLACE" excuse you bring up every god damn time to excuse not showing basic decency like a child

D

Deleted member

And hey we're just waiting for you to be Rational and not antagonize every single DQ fan out there just cause they aren't Geno fans. You're making us look bad and you've already turned one person off from Geno if you continue the way you're going you're gonna Drag the entire Geno fanbase down with you and make everyone Mock and hate the fanbase. It happened with Waluigi and Ashley, it can happen with Geno. Quit being a **** and grow up.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Nice, another "Gezora corners discussion with his tentacle jump because he doesn't like Dragon Quest" chapter.
....is calling me some kind of giant kaiju supposed to be an insult, lol? I'm genuinely confused. That's bad ass

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't want us all to get riled up.

Let's take a break and play one of our favorite games

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Saying I "don't like Dragon Quest" is a bit of an over simplification, but you guy's don't like me bringing up you know who, so I'll just keep clammed shut and simply say it's not that black and white.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
-takes off Miss Congeniality crown-

Some of ya'll don't even deserve your character with your attitudes and I'll just leave that at that.

-puts on Miss Congeniality crown again-

Anyways.....

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
-takes off Miss Congeniality crown-

Some of ya'll don't even deserve your character with your attitudes and I'll just leave that at at that.

-puts on Miss Congeniality crown again-

Anyways.....
I'll admit; maybe I don't deserve Geno. But thousand's of other people do. And I'm okay looking like an ass if that means getting them their character.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Saying I "don't like Dragon Quest" is a bit of an over simplification, but you guy's don't like me bringing up you know who, so I'll just keep clammed shut and simply say it's not that black and white.
No
At this point it is that black and white
You just degrade DQ literally every chance you get and act like Erdrick is the scum of the earth for somehow attacking Geno
You show absolutely no courtesy and instead just insult people when they state they enjoy and support Geno and SMRPG
You're gonna respond to this with "i'm just waiting for legit arguments" and/or "actually the hypotheticals make sense tho" and/or "no actually they never supported Geno in the first place"
I am, beyond tired, of this **** every single day, and even though I've had a strict no-muting clause since I started posting on Smashboards again, I am really considering muting you because you REFUSE to learn, you just REFUSE, and every time I think you're getting better, you're not, you're just being a selfish prick, and you're not.

So just STOP.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

And it’s a shame that I don’t want Geno at all now because of this.

But I’m DONE dealing with this logically.
For once, I’m speaking with my emotions, not my mind.

And if you’re gonna reference me in a quote, actually quote my message.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'll admit; maybe I don't deserve Geno. But thousand's of other people do. And I'm okay looking like an *** if that means getting them their character.
Oh, that wasn't just to you, boo. It goes to A LOT of people in this thread and the forum as a whole.

But seriously, you're going about arguing your case in a very immature sort of way. All the passion makes you toss your thought and logic out the window, and that's never a good look.

And I know you have both thought and logic because EVERYONE does.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll admit; maybe I don't deserve Geno. But thousand's of other people do. And I'm okay looking like an *** if that means getting them their character.
Except the rest of us Geno supporters are not okay with you looking like an ass. You're not doing anything to help on our behalf.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
No
At this point it is that black and white
You just degrade DQ literally every chance you get and act like Erdrick is the scum of the earth for somehow attacking Geno
You show absolutely no courtesy and instead just insult people when they state they enjoy and support Geno and SMRPG
You're gonna respond to this with "i'm just waiting for legit arguments" and/or "actually the hypotheticals make sense tho" and/or "no actually they never supported Geno in the first place"
I am, beyond tired, of this **** every single day, and even though I've had a strict no-muting clause since I started posting on Smashboards again, I am really considering muting you because you REFUSE to learn, you just REFUSE, and every time I think you're getting better, you're not, you're just being a selfish prick, and you're not.

So just STOP.
I mean due to ties; Dragon Quest in smash feels like a literally attack at me as a person, and that **** goes far beyond Geno. So no; it isn't the black and white. I know I refuse to change, and I'm sorry. You already go through enough turmoil. If you did mute me; I would understand.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's fine to debate, or talk things through, but I hope some people can see when a talk becomes argument that has little value.
Ok first off no that's not how that works. And if it did work like that, then yeah, and who's saying that they picked the DLC character and it absolutely was Erdrick?

We know now it's not Geno because he's a spirit, but who knows? Maybe they picked Sora, or Neku, or 2B, or god damn Gex for all we know. Just because everyone's SAYING something is happening doesn't mean it is until we know for a fact it is. Text leaks hold about as much weight as a paper airplane, even if they are coming from a place that seems credible. Even though they aren't final, looking at the stats in the game and people who've tested them have said it doesn't seem quite fit for Erdrick.

Is Erdrick out? No, not at all. Is he in? We don't know.

Quit whining about a character who's not even in the game yet for christ's sake.
Why do you think spirits deconfirm characters to be fighters? There really isn't much to assume that. I'm asking to know your take, not to argue, btw ;)

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I mean due to ties; Dragon Quest in smash feels like a literally attack at me as a person, and that **** goes far beyond Geno. So no; it isn't the black and white. I know I refuse to change, and I'm sorry. You already go through enough turmoil. If you did mute me; I would understand.
You act like you're not talking to someone who isn't equally attacked, if not moreso, by the views of Dragon Quest's composers
And yeah, you know what, I do go through enough turmoil, and I want you to consider that you have done nothing but make that worse lately as harsh as that sounded.
I do not accept your apology until you change how you act in this thread every day.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I felt like the most vocal ''Bayonetta is totally likely" person during Smash 4. I didn't even frequent her small support thread frequently because while I thought it was logical, people treated me like utter crap all the way up to her reveal.

I never once resorted to an attitude. You just pick up your head and you go about your business in a dignified manner and keep your ''I told ya'll *******." to yourself when it eventually happens.

Doing it publicly isn't a cute look.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Real talk, I really badly want Geno but Mr. "DQ is the devil and everyone who supports it is going to hell" is making me SO embarrassed to support Geno and it's actually sad. I've always liked Geno even before I started supporting him for smash. It hurts my heart to see one single person turning others off just cause of his bad attitude.

D

Deleted member

You're acting like an *** even before anything is confirmed, I can guarantee that by the end of the DLC if there is no DQ content then you're just going to shove it to everyone. That's the only thing you do, shove it when you think you're winning and acting like a victim when you think you're losing. And I think at this point the composer sounds more like an excuse for your immature behavior rather than something you really believe.

Can you please stay out of the thread until you decide to act like a normal and rational person like everyone here thinks you're?

Last edited by a moderator:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Who said it would be Nintendo?
Nintendo: Hey can we have Geno this time? We've been really cooperative!
Square: Dragon Quest isn't selling too good in the west... time for a THIRD ad campaign!
Nitendo: But People really want Geno...
Square: Oh I'm sorry; do we have to pull Cloud out, Mr Sakurai?
I mean, you do realize both SE and and Nintendo have a vested interest in the success of DQ in the west right? Nintendo outright publishes the NIntendo titles in the west, so DQ makes more financial sense than Geno ever will.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
You act like you're not talking to someone who isn't equally attacked, if not moreso, by the views of Dragon Quest's composers
And yeah, you know what, I do go through enough turmoil, and I want you to consider that you have done nothing but make that worse lately as harsh as that sounded.
I do not accept your apology until you change how you act in this thread every day.
I just get frustrated. I keep coming back to this thread thinking it will change and it just doesn't. I don't know why I come back here, but I guess it partially has to do with the Geno threads deadness. We shouldn't be fighting. We should be supporting eachother in the wake of what may be coming to smash. But I can't get my head out of the negativity.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
It's starting to go beyond just your hate for the franchise. You are literally attacking people who like Dragon Quest now even if they're Geno fans. Get off your soap box and grow up.

We should be supporting eachother in the wake of what may be coming to smash.
You literally attacked someone for doing exactly this.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I just get frustrated. I keep coming back to this thread thinking it will change and it just doesn't. I don't know why I come back here, but I guess it partially has to do with the Geno threads deadness. We shouldn't be fighting. We should be supporting eachother in the wake of what may be coming to smash. But I can't get my head out of the negativity.
Well, get your head out of the negative, every time I try to help you you just forget about it and go back to insulting people who want Erdrick like a child. You need to install a website blocker and block this thread, perhaps even all of the Boards for a week minimum, do some exercise, drink some water, reflect on the criticisms we've given you, and try to improve yourself.

Top Bottom