• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LemurExpress

Smash Rookie
Erdrick is already expected, not only because this leak. About it I also find extremely rare that those post were dividided in 2, if that guy had all those information, it would've been better to add them two in the same post.
Although I'm on the SMRPG-is-now-Owned-by-Nintendo-Theory so even if Erdrick is revealed I'll keep chering on my magical puppet til' the end. :3
I actually haven't heard of this SMRPG-owned-by-Nintendo theory. What is it about?

D

Deleted member

I actually haven't heard of this SMRPG-owned-by-Nintendo theory. What is it about?
To my knowledge it seems like wishful thinking at best, but it was discussed a bit in the Geno support thread. The details are there if you'd like to look, I don't know the exact page.

D

Deleted member

Kingdom Hearts is wild because you have **** like this and it isn't even the most nonsensical plot point
Mickey_Cloaked.png

when u the qt one and you let ur goth friend dress u up
Playing KH3D taught me three things tho:
-I understand less of this plot than Metal Gear lore and I have never played a Metal Gear game.
-This is just Final Fantasy on drugs
-Sora and Riku are a Naruto and Sasuke ripoff.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
b-but i thought
i thought you and nekoo said
said he was a squenix
i-i need a moment
Wait until you get to hear the real bombshell... that Geno was Pinocchio and this particular likeness of the character was owned by Disney all along!

(Pretend you're hearing horrible, evil thunder claps in the background like some edgy 90's cartoon.)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Wait until you get to hear the real bombshell... that Geno was Pinocchio and this particular likeness of the character was owned by Disney all along!

(Pretend you're hearing horrible, evil thunder claps in the background like some edgy 90's cartoon.)
Funnily enough, before SMRPG released and Square was describing some of the characters to Nintendo Power, they did actually refer to Geno as "Pinocchio."

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Kingdom Hearts is wild because you have **** like this and it isn't even the most nonsensical plot point

-I understand less of this plot than Metal Gear lore and I have never played a Metal Gear game.
that's why i love kingdom hearts

****s wild

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace

You say Final Fantasy on drugs, yet Kindom Hearts III seems to have forgotten that Final Fantasy even exists!

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

I mean...you're not wrong.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Oh hey @liquidmetalslime great avatar. If Erdrick wasn't the most sensible choice for a DQ character in Smash besides Slime and Luminary, I'd rally behind the DQ5 protagonist instead as I love that design and their inherent monster-recruiting ability.

D

Deleted member

Oh hey @liquidmetalslime great avatar. If Erdrick wasn't the most sensible choice for a DQ character in Smash besides Slime and Luminary, I'd rally behind the DQ5 protagonist instead as I love that design and their inherent monster-recruiting ability.
Eyy same lol. Monster summoning for every attack would be a hella cool moveset.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
w

what

i

i've been living my life a lie

w
why did y'all
why did y'all tell me he was a squenix

oh god
now i look like a clown

Starblax Starblax sorry mayne...
Lmao, I don't care man. I'm glad that at least more people know how his rights work now so people don't completely write his chances off. Not a big deal, it's something I see around a lot, you're fine.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Lmao, I don't care man. I'm glad that at least more people know how his rights work now so people don't completely write his chances off. Not a big deal, it's something I see around a lot, you're fine.
Not gonna lie, I think Disney's a pretty big reason to write-off his chances.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Can I get some reshpeckt for Eight please

The only DQ protag I've ever loved
I really hope that the VIII hero gets represented somehow in Erdricks alt. costumes in his colors. It would be so weird to see that being skipped over when it’s one of the more popular DQ titles, even over here in the West.

It would be weird to not see VII or VIII not being represented at all within Smash somehow.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I really hope that the VIII hero gets represented somehow in Erdricks alt. costumes in his colors. It would be so weird to see that being skipped over when it’s one of the more popular DQ titles, even over here in the West.

It would be weird to not see VII or VIII not being represented at all within Smash somehow.
Never been a fan of the "what if Erdrick had the other heroes as alts" thing. Makes me feel like it's emphasizing each hero as being non-unique, whether that's true or not.

...now colors are a different story lol

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
Not gonna lie, I think Disney's a pretty big write-off.
I see that a lot and I really don't think so, but I also don't think it's impossible.

Nintendo and Disney have gotten along fine in the past. Epic Mickey, Disney Art Academy, the Afternoon Collection, and I'm pretty sure there was a GBA game about Mickey or something. Well there definitely was, but y'know whatever. They also partnered earlier this year for a competition to win a Switch or something like that? I'll post the article if anyone wants to see it.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I see that a lot and I really don't think so, but I also don't think it's impossible.

Nintendo and Disney have gotten along fine in the past. Epic Mickey, Disney Art Academy, the Afternoon Collection, and I'm pretty sure there was a GBA game about Mickey or something. Well there definitely was, but y'know whatever. They also partnered earlier this year for a competition to win a Switch or something like that? I'll post the article if anyone wants to see it.
There was a Mickey Mouse game on N64
I have been trying to find this ****ing game for ages
It exists
I know

You play as a train or some **** there's like a train and like a living room

Help

D

Deleted member

Never been a fan of the "what if Erdrick had the other heroes as alts" thing. Makes me feel like it's emphasizing each hero as being non-unique, whether that's true or not.

...now colors are a different story lol
I mean, no one is really gonna argue that they each individually are lol
Hero is actually usually considered a class in the same sense as mage, thief, etc so it makes sense they would all be similar moveset-wise.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
That's why I'm not 100% sure on the Erdrick/Smash part of the leak. Though, it'd make sense considering they typed in the exact same format and when the thread was incredibly sparse and nobody was paying them attention. Seemed the same but there's always that tiny chance they weren't.
Eh, same thing happened with the Dante rumor wherein the Smash bits turned out to be false. Could go either way from here.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
Can I get some reshpeckt for Eight please

The only DQ protag I've ever loved
Ok, I really don't care for any DQ character's design, EXCEPT Luminary and especially Eight. I really hope that Eight gets a costume for Erdrick if he gets in, or maybe even just a color.

There was a Mickey Mouse game on N64
I have been trying to find this ****ing game for ages
It exists
I know

You play as a train or some **** there's like a train and like a living room

Help
Yeah I wasn't around for the N64 days so I have no idea sorry man.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Getting along is all well and good, but that doesn't really change the way business is actually done. A hypothetical Sora inclusion means Nintendo wants something from Disney and that's not a position to take lightly. It's one thing if Disney wants something from you and you can snag out a deal on that end (Like what I'm sure happened between Sega and Disney for Sonic Racing Transformed and the Wreck it Ralph movie). The issue, for me, has always been "What will Disney want as compensation for their IP". Disney's a Mega Corporation and we're already seeing what a company like that can do outside of the game to affect the game as a whole (Toei and Dragon Ball Fighterz).

The world of business is complicated as all hell and nothing is as simple as "We allow you to use X IP in your product" unless you're an indie company. We are not privy to the details behind those types of negotiations and they will always be an unknown. However, I have family that works at Disney, I know how hardball they can get.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
Getting along is all well and good, but that doesn't really change the way business is actually done. A hypothetical Sora inclusion means Nintendo wants something from Disney and that's not a position to take lightly. It's one thing if Disney wants something from you and you can snag out a deal on that end (Like what I'm sure happened between Sega and Disney for Sonic Racing Transformed and the Wreck it Ralph movie). The issue, for me, has always been "What will Disney want as compensation for their IP". Disney's a Mega Corporation and we're already seeing what a company like that can do outside of the game to affect the game as a whole (Toei and Dragon Ball Fighterz).

The world of business is complicated as all hell and nothing is as simple as "We allow you to use X IP in your product" unless you're an indie company. We are not privy to the details behind those types of negotiations and they will always be an unknown. However, I have family that works at Disney, I know how hardball they can get.
That's a good point to consider, actually.

That's interesting that you have family that works at Disney! That's pretty cool actually.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
A not so serious Theory indeed
I may be the only one who also expects this just because I don't know how intellectual property works, but there are my points just because

- No credits for SE despite using Geno (And Mallow) on the 22yo anniversary tweet and the HQ question during TGA (I guess nor in the game either?)
- No new SE content on Smash except for Geno and Mallow, it could be the only "new" content, or it could be because they're now Nintendo Property
- All the "Geno talks" from insiders may be not related to smash, but for a HD Remake or something.

I love to imagine a world where SE finally said "Okay, I won't use this stuff, wanna buy it?" But again, this is just selfmade by my innocent-hopeful mind, Oh and again, I don't know patents or intellectual property works at all.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I may be the only one who also expects this just because I don't know how intellectual property works, but there are my points just because

- No credits for SE despite using Geno (And Mallow) on the 22yo anniversary tweet and the HQ question during TGA (I guess nor in the game either?)
- No new SE content on Smash except for Geno and Mallow, it could be the only "new" content, or it could be because they're now Nintendo Property
- All the "Geno talks" from insiders may be not related to smash, but for a HD Remake or something.

I love to imagine a world where SE finally said "Okay, I won't use this stuff, wanna buy it?" But again, this is just selfmade by my innocent-hopeful mind, Oh and again, I don't know patents or intellectual property works at all.
One thing to note is that Nintendo outright owns SMRPG. The only thing they don't own from it are the original characters and some of the music. I doubt they actually need to credit SE for a tweet and SE is already in the credits of Ultimate anyway, so there's no need to specifically credit them when the game already says that characters from SE are in the game.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

This. We have people here who've worked with Disney or know people who have such as PlayerOneTyler PlayerOneTyler and NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy who can vouch for how difficult Disney can be. That being said, there's still a chance given that Disney and Nintendo seem to have good relations, and it's Nintendo approaching Disney and not some smaller studio. I think if anybody has a chance, it's Nintendo.

Sora is a 50/50 coinflip in terms of speculation. It relies on Disney playing nice, and no one knows if they will or not.

That's not how it works in the slightest.
  • Nintendo doesn't necessarily need to credit Square Enix every single time they mention Super Mario RPG. And even then, instead of crediting, it could simply be a check with the higher ups. As someone who's run a relatively large social media account in the past, I'm willing to bet money that Nintendo's social media posts are prepped weeks, if not months in advance. That gives plenty of time to check to see what's okay and what's not. Even then, if Square Enix can sell Kingdom Hearts merchandise for profit even though it's owned by Disney, Nintendo can similarly mention Super Mario RPG even though it's owned by Square Enix.
  • This has already been mentioned, but Square Enix is credited anyways because of Cloud. Why would they credit Square Enix twice for three characters? Because they're from different series?
  • This is an interesting point given that it's happened in the past with insiders such as Liam Robertson and Hitagi, but @PolarPanda's NoA source stated that he heard Geno would be the DLC character as office water cooler talk, so if insider talk about Geno is in relation to another project, it's not consistent, and therefore not likely.
Most importantly, what reason does Nintendo have to buy the rights to Super Mario RPG? They'd be buying the rights to a couple of original characters, some songs, and other miscellaneous assets for way more than they're worth since Square Enix, like any other business, would want to get the most money out of this transaction. Sure, buying the rights would give Nintendo all profits from future sales, but they'd have to sell a lot more units to make up for the cost of the rights. People aren't going to buy Super Mario RPG, a 20+ year old game that you can download off of the internet and play for free with emulation, in enough volume to accomplish that. It's simply not going to happen. Why do that when they can keep rereleasing the game and give a smaller cut of the sales to Square Enix (Sales through the Wii Shop Channel, eShop, and those of the SNES Classic are very likely not cut 50/50)? It makes sense from a business standpoint because they make more money, and the bottom line is what's most important.

I hate to be the dream killer here, but people should be realistic. I understand that people like to have hope, but there's no hope to be had in fantasy.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I mean, no one is really gonna argue that they each individually are lol
Hero is actually usually considered a class in the same sense as mage, thief, etc so it makes sense they would all be similar moveset-wise.
From what I remember sadly the hero from five couldn't be an alt because he doesn't have the hero class if I'm correct and technically hes not the hero hero of the story with out spoiling stuff plus he isn't depicted using a sword so I sadly doubt they'd use him as an alt I think they may use everyone of the heros a color alts sadly

Calane

Smash Ace
From what I remember sadly the hero from five couldn't be an alt because he doesn't have the hero class if I'm correct and technically hes not the hero hero of the story with out spoiling stuff plus he isn't depicted using a sword so I sadly doubt they'd use him as an alt I think they may use everyone of the heros a color alts sadly
Half of them wouldn't work without breaking canon and forcing it, honestly.

- DQ1's Hero (Alef?) doesn't have the iconic Zap spells.
- DQ2's Hero (Allen?) can't use magic at all.
- You already stated why DQ5's hero wouldn't work.
- Arus/Auster (DQ7's Hero) is too small to work as an alt.
- Nine (DQ9's Hero) is also pretty small, so he probably wouldn't work either.

The only ones who could work as alts for Erdrick (while sticking to canon) would be Solo (DQ4's Hero), Rek (DQ6's Hero), Eight, and Luminary. And even then, making them all alts would take away any chance for them to reference things from their specific games in their various animations and whatnot.

For example, I'd love to see Eight have a taunt involving Munchie, or see Solo come down on a hot-air balloon for his stage intro. Making them all act and pose like Erdrick just wouldn't feel right, and it would bother me to no end.

That's just me, though. The idea of all the heroes being alts sort of drives me up the wall, lol.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Half of them wouldn't work without breaking canon and forcing it, honestly.

- DQ1's Hero (Alef?) doesn't have the iconic Zap spells.
- DQ2's Hero (Allen?) can't use magic at all.
- You already stated why DQ5's hero wouldn't work.
- Arus/Auster (DQ7's Hero) is too small to work as an alt.
- Nine (DQ9's Hero) is also pretty small, so he probably wouldn't work either.

The only ones who could work as alts for Erdrick (while sticking to canon) would be Solo (DQ4's Hero), Rek (DQ6's Hero), Eight, and Luminary. And even then, making them all alts would take away any chance for them to reference things from their specific games in their various animations and whatnot.

For example, I'd love to see Eight have a taunt involving Munchie, or see Solo come down on a hot-air balloon for his stage intro. Making them all act and pose like Erdrick just wouldn't feel right, and it would bother me to no end.

That's just me, though. The idea of all the heroes being alts sort of drives me up the wall, lol.
I think solo would be pretty cool because he's the equivalent to erdrick for 5,6 so I think it could work but I'm not sure how the luminary would work he looks pretty tall and Eights tall too if Eight were the SQ rep I don't think we'd have that many problems honestly

Calane

Smash Ace
I think solo would be pretty cool because he's the equivalent to erdrick for 5,6 so I think it could work but I'm not sure how the luminary would work he looks pretty tall and Eights tall too if Eight were the SQ rep I don't think we'd have that many problems honestly
Looking at their action figures together, I think Erdrick and Luminary are around a similar enough height to work.

Thing 2.JPG
I tried matching it up, but It's probably a little bit off.

It could work, but I would just hope that they'd give them both their own victory animations and such.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Looking at their action figures together, I think Erdrick and Luminary are around a similar enough height to work.

View attachment 184406 I tried matching it up, but It's probably a little bit off.

It could work, but I would just hope that they'd give them both their own victory animations and such.
Honestly since I've never played the OG trilogy or 11 what's the connection to the 11th hero and Erdrick are those games connected?

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster

View attachment 184406 I tried matching it up, but It's probably a little bit off.

Man that figure makes Erdrick look so badass. Honestly I think probably only Luminary might be his skin besides the female Erdrick. Not only because of the connection between the games, but advertising the latest hero for the Switch game makes sense too.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
I didn't think about it initially, but are these DLC characters being chosen in order to promote their releases onto the Switch? For example, we know P5R is coming soon and is likely on the Switch, and the same can be said for Dragon Quest XI. If Nintendo were the ones making the decision then they would choose characters that would promote the sales of their new games. Is this all promotional? I can't say this with confidence, but it's a possibility.

Top Bottom