• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spider-Manfia: (Game Over! Roles Posted)

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Alright Eor, fair enough.

However, before I unvote, I'd like to see you contribute to the discussion. What reads do you have on people? I'd also like to know your stance on my fake daykill.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I think your fake votekill was clever enough, but that you could of done something better to garner discussion.

Personally, I'm for Handorin, for the reasons people have already said, along with his general helpfulness. However, I don't want to vote for him yet, as I'm not so sure of it

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
It was a joke more than anything. But if you think I am, you better convince the rest of the town. They seem to think otherwise.
I thought "it was a joke" was a terrible answer at first, but then remembered it was a joke I've seen before, I just didn't recognize and thought you were continuing to play dumb.

Maybe from now on we should all stop joking, or at least say we're joking within our posts instead of wasting discussion and building suspicion on people due to misunderstandings. Of course, a lot of the time saying you're joking ruins the joke, especially if you use image macros which ruin every joke, so...

That being said I'm still suspicious of Handorin for the way he's been acting. I haven't played many games with him, so I guess I should ask anyone who has: did Handorin have a distinctive play style that would justify changing it dramatically for the sake of being harder to read? And Handorin, who in particular is in this game that you think it's beneficial to play so differently, enough to justify all the suspicion you're getting? I can see why you might to want to answer this question so you don't have to, but I'd like to know.

kiki i had iggy kevin and medi in mind because they've all commented on me coasting/being inactive. i didn't think it was too suspicious but i'm kind of astounded that someone whose posts have all been dedicated to talking about a role probably not even in the game and attacking someone who was already getting a lot of scrutiny is getting away with coasting while people complain about me doing it. we have almost nothing to work with when it comes to tmw
I wasn't just attacking Hando, I was also defending something he saidl that he was being attacked for, which you read earlier ("like some people said taking one for the team can be a good thing") but you decided it wasn't worth considering here where you say you say what "all my posts have been dedicated to". Of course, attacking someone for one thing while defending them for another can just seem like you're just attacking them, but I don't want everyone jumping on Hando for everything he says just because he's playing like the only drunk person at a dinner party.

Also, as for so many people asking questions and others and themselves getting bent out of shape when they're not answered to the format the person who asked the question asked for the answer to be given in, it seems weird to me. I think Rockin and others answering questions not addressed to them is fine most of the time, and has been fine so far in this case, as was Medi's full answer to Kiki's yes-or-no question. I don't see how it's an issue yet, but things can certainly get to that point later once some role actions have been performed, and a player's answer to a question can matter a lot and it's important not to give scum any outs.

I'd also like to see Iggy post again though. Do you still thinking lynching Nick would have been a good idea had his daykill been real and KevinM flipped town? Anything else?

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Well... the deadline is coming up fast, and I think that Handorin is our best option for lynch. Its true that he's been ringing independent bells as much as scum bells, but I really don't think we have a stronger option. (I checked, and Eor's last post in any topic before today was on the 14th. He's just been inactive. Given that the Freudian slip thing could be a misunderstanding, that doesn't really give us much to go on.) So...

Unvote

Vote Handorin

Does anyone think there's a better option?

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
A derailment doesn't have to be from an already going discussion. I found the discussion to be useless. It might, say, make someone intelligent become suspicious of someone, but unless that person slips up elsewhere, which would also make the person suspicious, there's no way we could use your discussion to lynch someone, which is the main purpose of the day.
You need to look up "derailment" in the dictionary then. The definition is not "discussion Eor personally finds to be useless":
  1. To run or cause to run off the rails.
  2. To come or bring to a sudden halt: a campaign derailed by lack of funds; a policy that derailed under the new administration.
As I pointed out before nothing, I posted prevented any other discussion from taking place, so your claim that I was derailing anything was either an intentional distortion or an inadvertent misrepresentation. Are you implying that "someone intelligent becoming suspicious" of someone else isn't useful? Even if we had to rely on people also screwing up some other way (which may just happen later in the game) I don't see how additional cause for suspicion is anything other than helpful.

What do you think of Iggy and Handorin's responses to my questioning?

Unvote vote: Iggy

MexicanBJ

Smash Journeyman
i didn't find eor suspicious before his latest posts and i still dont

since the deadline is coming up and since nobody seems to be suspicious of rockin, like i am, if someone's gonna get lynched, i'd like for it be handorin, rather than say, eor

so

unvote
Vote: Handorin

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I've mentioned my reasons for voting Handorin before. It's not any different.

Handorin

Smash Hero
And Handorin, who in particular is in this game that you think it's beneficial to play so differently, enough to justify all the suspicion you're getting? I can see why you might to want to answer this question so you don't have to, but I'd like to know.
I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if there is someone in the game that made me want to change my style so drastically and also if I deserve all this suspicion?

Well... the deadline is coming up fast, and I think that Handorin is our best option for lynch. Its true that he's been ringing independent bells as much as scum bells, but I really don't think we have a stronger option. (I checked, and Eor's last post in any topic before today was on the 14th. He's just been inactive. Given that the Freudian slip thing could be a misunderstanding, that doesn't really give us much to go on.) So...
Unvote
Vote Handorin
Does anyone think there's a better option?
So why did you get all wound up over my joke, but not on Eors? Why am I a better candidate to lynch after answering all the questions and being one of the most active people in the game over Eor who has done quite the opposite.

since the deadline is coming up and since nobody seems to be suspicious of rockin, like i am, if someone's gonna get lynched, i'd like for it be handorin, rather than say, eor

so

unvote
Why of all people did you name Eor as the other person?

P.S. I just noticed jungle posted.
@ Jungle- Remind me of those reasons you stated before. I can't seem to find them.

P.P.S. I hope you spidey lovers give me ample time for some last words. :chuckle:

MexicanBJ

Smash Journeyman
@hando: because he seems to be the only other one who people seem inclined to lynch right now....

and actually, my honest opinion is that neither of you are mafia

i just think you might be indy

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Can we please hold the bandwagon here. holy cow.

That's three votes with little to no discussion about it in a pretty fast amount of time.

I normally don't see strings of votes like that without solid evidence.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I agree with KevinM. FOS the last two votes

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if there is someone in the game that made me want to change my style so drastically

Yeah

and also if I deserve all this suspicion?
I meant, is it worth the suspicion to change your playstyle to what it is now to conceal whatever your role is? I know I don't know your play style well enough to guess your role from whatever your personal tells would be

And yeah guys pump the brakes. I don't think you should be voting now unless you won't be able to post again before the deadline.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
So why did you get all wound up over my joke, but not on Eors? Why am I a better candidate to lynch after answering all the questions and being one of the most active people in the game over Eor who has done quite the opposite.
I had voiced my suspicions on all of them at one point or another... but if you need the recap, then...

Handorin:
He was being quite confusing and jokey on everything and calling that "his playstyle", advocating that it made him hard to read for both town and mafia. I wasn't the only one who called him on it. Suspected Mafia/independent. He'd be my first choice.
Also, at one point you said you had no intention of doing what was best for town. Your playstyle has been all Pro-handorin, not pro-town. Admittedly, this is more of an independent marker than that of scum, but still, you're a better target than anyone else we have. If you can prove we have a better target, then do so, but you'd better do it fast.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Also, at one point you said you had no intention of doing what was best for town. Your playstyle has been all Pro-handorin, not pro-town. Admittedly, this is more of an independent marker than that of scum, but still, you're a better target than anyone else we have. If you can prove we have a better target, then do so, but you'd better do it fast.
I never said I had no intention of doing what is best for town. That's what people keep thinking I say because I'm so obviously scum from one joke I needed to say all this other junk. I stressed more on self preservation in a general sense, and I explained why that was important. And since you have spent most of the day wasting your time scrutinizing and twisting my every word, we don't have a more likely candidate. If you go back and look, 95% of the other discussion was either on another players joke someone got hurt by, whining that someone was inactive and tried to get them to do stuff, or repeating something other and over. In other words, I don't think we have garnered enough fruit from today to make a solid lynch candidate, but it will be good for later in the game.

Handorin

Smash Hero
I meant, is it worth the suspicion to change your playstyle to what it is now to conceal whatever your role is? I know I don't know your play style well enough to guess your role from whatever your personal tells would be

And yeah guys pump the brakes. I don't think you should be voting now unless you won't be able to post again before the deadline.
Oops, forgot to answer this last post.

I went into this game deciding to play different. So I threw in some jokes. This shouldn't attract a whole lot more suspicion that normal (or at least this much). I didn't foresee so much attention on one simple joke. Maybe a few posts, but not 13 pages worth.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
I'm not the only one who called you on that. Stop acting like I have a vendetta against you. Several other people stated that you'd be the fallback lynch. And, since we don't have a better candidate, that leaves one course of action.

Handorin

Smash Hero
I'm not the only one who called you on that. Stop acting like I have a vendetta against you. Several other people stated that you'd be the fallback lynch. And, since we don't have a better candidate, that leaves one course of action.
Buuuuuuuuuuut mooooommmmm he started itttttt.

Other people called it on me after you made a big deal out of it. If me being jokey is your only argument, you must be desperate.

And, imo, there is no good candidate for a lynch.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I agree with hando to an extent. I think there isn't really a great candidate for a lynch today. Have we had good discussion? Yes we definitely have. But good discussion doesn't mean we have a great candidate to lynch today.

However, I still don't like the way Hando is playing/handling the questions that are being asked of him. I've had independent bells ringing off the hook ever since he stated he purposely is playing differently than he has before.

Handorin

Smash Hero
I agree with hando to an extent. I think there isn't really a great candidate for a lynch today. Have we had good discussion? Yes we definitely have. But good discussion doesn't mean we have a great candidate to lynch today.

However, I still don't like the way Hando is playing/handling the questions that are being asked of him. I've had independent bells ringing off the hook ever since he stated he purposely is playing differently than he has before.
This isnt a new trend.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Handorin, it's more than being jokey and you know it. You were purposefully confusing at the beginning of the Day (read: not hard to read; confusing). You've posted a lot, but hardly any of it is substance. You defend yourself when accused but have done almost no scumhunting. I realize you were put on the defensive early on, but you still could have been pointing out people who stuck out to you as scummy.

After nearly 500 posts of discussion, you can't tell me no one has caught your attention. Though I wouldn't peg Eor as scum, the case Tom made against him has legs. Iggy made a statement that to some people has looked pretty anti-town. TMW and Sharpevil have been pretty quiet (TMW began speaking up recently). None of this is doing anything for you? We still have a few days before the deadline. Anyone you want to try and get more information out of?

Tom, are you still suspicious of Eor? If Handorin starts to look like our main lynch candidate closer to the deadline, would you support his lynch?

Handorin

Smash Hero
The guy on the chopping block has no right to question others. I have done my share of reading, but as soon as I ask some questions, I will get blasted on who I asked questions, the content of the question,about players in the question, etc. (as it happened before).

I will keep my thoughts to myself until later in the game (if I even live, which I can (later in the game could be tomorrow)), right before this/my lynch.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
I will keep my thoughts to myself until later in the game (if I even live, which I can (later in the game could be tomorrow)), right before this/my lynch.
In other words, "I'm only going to share my thoughts if I know I'm going to die, in which case I can safely point fingers at whomever I please without endangering them, since I'll flip scum/independent anyway and no one will take my parting thoughts seriously. But otherwise they might, so I'm not saying anything now."

This is really getting ridiculous. You keep insisting that everyone is reacting to "a joke" of yours badly. But it's really been a pattern of unhelpfulness, evasiveness, and an inability? refusal? to get serious and be productive that's been bothering me (and, I suspect, others as well).

I disagree with those who say that there aren't any other worthy lynch targets. To add to what Circus said, Eor's resistance to my "useless" (yet, in my opinion, productive) line of questioning struck me as disingenuous and poorly justified. And speaking of that questioning, Iggy gave a ridiculous answer that suggested he'd have supported a townie's lynch because he couldn't trust a townie to act in the interests of the town. I still think that's ludicrous. Plus he promised a post for "early AM"--have you guys seen it?

But then we have Handorin, who's refused to be productive lest it appear too suspicious--never mind the fact that he already appears suspicious for not being productive. I'm not pleased with the bandwagon that formed on him so quickly--I can excuse the one that followed Eor because I think a pressure bandwagon near deadline is useful. But this is a "lynch" bandwagon that, among other things, gives Iggy no incentive at all to follow through with his post because all the momentum is going toward Handorin.

I don't put much stock in a jester being in this game (and even if there were one, I wouldn't really do anything differently). But if Handorin is a jester he's done an excellent job at distracting a number of you from end of the Day discussion, and if he's town then I wouldn't be surprised if some of the bandwagoners are scum trying to do the exact same thing.

For now: I want Iggy to make the post he promised. I want Handorin to stop withholding his thoughts because he feels like it. And I want people to stop and think about what they're doing before they vote, because even the preliminary "deadline" I suggested isn't until later tonight. I think we're capable enough to organize a majority within 24-36 hours.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
With the deadline closing up, I feel no problem vote: Handorin

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
against a no lynch right now.
First off I'd like to say that I agree with this sentiment, but it looks like town isn't going that way at the moment.

Ignatius:
I'm waiting for him to answer my question at the moment. My primary problem with him is that in response to Kirby king's question (the one about would you vote for me if I had done a real daykill), is that he said he'd lynch me, not so much because he thought I'd be mafia, but because I'd be a danger to town, and because I'm incompetent. Even after Kirby king pointed out the flaws in this plan, he stuck to his answer. I'm still waiting for a response from him on WHY he thinks I'm incompetent.
OMGUS? Would someone explain it to me please?
I voted Handorin, because Medi made some points about his line of reasoning, which still doesn't make sense to me. I had thought that we were getting serious at the time, and so assumed that Medi's vote was serious, as was the post that Handorin made. (Don't mafia members try to raise confusion?) However, it seems that I was premature in assuming that the joke phase was over. Well....

Unvote
Here you follow a joke vote because you're genuinely concerned with what was said, but then just drop it all together.

Ahhh... I'd misread the first post as well. However, my point still (sort of ) holds. The mafia are helping spiderman (after all, the trapster was caught in a giant web), so they are (at least temporarily) spidey's allies. Also, perhaps some of the mafia are really superheroes impersonating villans. Or, perhaps they're just traitors. Still, you raise a good point, one I hadn't considered.
However, I'm torn at this point between voting for KevinM, and Handorin. Both have seemed suspicious. KevinM put a vote on MexicanBJ for no reason (besides an unsupported "I think your scum") and expected a meaningful response, while Handorin has been unhelpful... Well,

Vote Handorin
While you do say you have close to even suspicion between the two, you still end up voting Handorin; which in my book, means you either thought he was a better target, or would respond better to a pressure vote.

But the biggest, and final nail in the coffin for me as to why I'd vote for you, is the daykill on someone, that to me, looks like is who you find the second most suspicous at the time; combined with the fact that he's flipped town(Which was the hypothetical we were dealing with).

Now, as for my personal vote at the moment however, I think Hando's last post really bothers me enough to Vote: Handorin.

I still don't really have a good reason on eor's playstyle, so I'm not confident enough to place a vote on him. He did have some weird happenings earlier in the day.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
No, it has looked like, reading through again to emphasize where I thought he wasn't that great of a player, that he genuinely has wanted to generate discussion in the day but wasn't quite sure how to do it, and wasn't sure how to follow up on it.

But, I should note that he did research into an old topic; find a way to generate discussion, and went through with it(what actually happened with his daykill). However, were it a real daykill that was being made on the person that was second most scummy to him, that is something that bothers me.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
With the deadline closing up, I feel no problem vote: Handorin
Now, as for my personal vote at the moment however, I think Hando's last post really bothers me enough to Vote: Handorin.
Do you guys disagree with what I said about not piling on Handorin right now, or did you just not read it?

I'd like to vote for both of you, but since Eor posted right after me just to vote Handorin, apparently oblivious to the fact that he was doing the opposite of what I just said people should do, unvote vote: Eor.

I don't care if you don't agree with me, but that's entirely different from posting as if I hadn't just expressed concern over the very thing you were doing. You didn't even acknowledge it.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
First off I'd like to say that I agree with this sentiment, but it looks like town isn't going that way at the moment.

Here you follow a joke vote because you're genuinely concerned with what was said, but then just drop it all together.

While you do say you have close to even suspicion between the two, you still end up voting Handorin; which in my book, means you either thought he was a better target, or would respond better to a pressure vote.

But the biggest, and final nail in the coffin for me as to why I'd vote for you, is the daykill on someone, that to me, looks like is who you find the second most suspicous at the time; combined with the fact that he's flipped town(Which was the hypothetical we were dealing with).

I still don't really have a good reason on eor's playstyle, so I'm not confident enough to place a vote on him. He did have some weird happenings earlier in the day.
In the first bit, Handorin was being confusing on purpose, and later said that he was joking. I had voted him because he had been using a faulty line of reasoning to end with a vote. However, being that he had been joking (I thought otherwise, since everyone else was getting serious), I dropped my vote. (However, his maneuver did give me some suspicions.)

With regards to the vote on Handorin when my suspicion was divided between him and KevinM, I decided that Handorin was the better target, although not by much.

As for the hypothetical of the daykill being real... well, in that hypothetical, it admittedly would have been a bad idea on my part. However, not being that great of a player is no reason to lynch someone.

@Kirby King
Well, there are other targets. However, in my opinion, Handorin is the most likely candidate.

Sharpevil

Smash Rookie
Sorry, guys. I'd gotten out of the habit of checking the thread. I'd like to suggest everyone wait until the end of the game to rent prototype, though. That's been the biggest timesuck on me recently. Fun game.

I'm not seeing a whole lot that I can bring up at this point in time. Handorin still looks like the best target to me, for reasons already mentioned. He's been confusing and unhelpful in general.

I would like to mention, however, that a tiny flag went off in my head when Eor posted to do nothing but vote for handorin. This bothered me mainly because he'd been mentioned as possible scum a few times on this very page. It makes me suspicious that perhaps he's trying to deflect any attention away from himself.

That's all I have to bring to the table at the moment.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer

so

unvote
I've mentioned my reasons for voting Handorin before. It's not any different.

Can we please hold the bandwagon here. holy cow.

That's three votes with little to no discussion about it in a pretty fast amount of time.

I normally don't see strings of votes like that without solid evidence.
I agree with KevinM. FOS the last two votes
Nobody else thought this was really funny? As the deadline nears, two players put their votes on the person they find most suspicious and vouch for his lynch. He is not about to be offed. Then three different players, all one after the other, accuse them of bandwagoning. You can bandwagon ideas and statements too, not just votes, but I normally don't see people bandwagon-accuse others of bandwagoning.

Tom, are you still suspicious of Eor? If Handorin starts to look like our main lynch candidate closer to the deadline, would you support his lynch?
Who does "his" refer to? I think Handorin has rubbed people the wrong way, but I do not think that this or the things he has said make him independent or mafia. I will most likely not vote for him, and if he is lynched and flips town, I won't be astonished. I've commented earlier that I don't think we will learn anything from a Handorin lynch. I still think that this is true. Handorin has attracted attention to himself - the arguments against him accuse him of being awkward or self-aligned - if we lynch him, the information that we gain will most likely be information about Handorin, as this is what the lynch is about. No real connections to anyone else.

I have not yet shaken my suspicion of Eor. I also think that if Eor flipped scum, I would be able to clear Mediocre in my mind. But the debate against him has not developed nearly as much as I had hoped, mainly because Eor is brief and borderline-lurky. And at the same time, as more happens, the 'Freudian slip' situation becomes less and less important.

But right now something else has come to my attention, as one of the latest Kirby King posts gave me REALLY bad vibes.

In other words, "I'm only going to share my thoughts if I know I'm going to die, in which case I can safely point fingers at whomever I please without endangering them, since I'll flip scum/independent anyway and no one will take my parting thoughts seriously. But otherwise they might, so I'm not saying anything now."

This is really getting ridiculous. You keep insisting that everyone is reacting to "a joke" of yours badly. But it's really been a pattern of unhelpfulness, evasiveness, and an inability? refusal? to get serious and be productive that's been bothering me (and, I suspect, others as well).
What? No. Your summary of what Handorin said was the first thing to ring suspicious. Handorin stated a very true and valid point: when someone is on the chopping block, they rarely get away with pointing fingers at anyone else. Doing so, even though it might end up being the right thing to do, is easily punishable and easy to call pseudo-scummy, because people can accuse them of dodging questions or focusing attention away from themselves for self-preservation. Handorin does not want to give everyone more rope - this is not scummy. Everyone should argue for their defense and fight for their life, because doing so helps your alignment whatever it is - town indy or scum. I expected Kirby King to understand this, but Kiki used what Handorin said and spun it in an extremely negative light in which Handorin is already going to "flip scum/independent anyway."

It is true that Handorin attracted attention to himself with the villain/hero x town/scum confusion, and it is also true that he has been "unhelpful." But has he truly been evasive? Has he avoided answering any questions? He has gripped onto his desire to play this game with a semi-serious persona. Don't you expect that when **** gets serious, he will have to get serious as well?

Don't you recognize that someone who is trying to take the game from a semi-serious paradigm, when thrust into the center of attention, is an EASY lynch for mafia to back. Handorin rubs someone the wrong way and they vote for him, not because he seems like he is mafia, but because he seems unhelpful. Has Handorin been more unhelpful than Eor? Than tmw_redcell? Than SharpEvil? No, he hasn't. He has just been in the center of attention and easy to manipulate, and what I see from Kirby King is someone who could easily recognize that Handorin is a great lynch target for mafia to get their game rolling - we learn next to nothing when we lynch him, the general consensus is that he is self-serving and he painted a target on himself by refusing to drop the "y so srs" attitude even though it is about to get him killed - and at this point in time, as long as they try to look like they're not "bandwagoning" on the lynch, they can get away with offing a non-scum. Hell, if they pushed a lynch on an independent, then they would look even better!

I disagree with those who say that there aren't any other worthy lynch targets. To add to what Circus said, Eor's resistance to my "useless" (yet, in my opinion, productive) line of questioning struck me as disingenuous and poorly justified. And speaking of that questioning, Iggy gave a ridiculous answer that suggested he'd have supported a townie's lynch because he couldn't trust a townie to act in the interests of the town. I still think that's ludicrous. Plus he promised a post for "early AM"--have you guys seen it?

But then we have Handorin, who's refused to be productive lest it appear too suspicious--never mind the fact that he already appears suspicious for not being productive. I'm not pleased with the bandwagon that formed on him so quickly--I can excuse the one that followed Eor because I think a pressure bandwagon near deadline is useful. But this is a "lynch" bandwagon that, among other things, gives Iggy no incentive at all to follow through with his post because all the momentum is going toward Handorin.
It is not a "good" thing to claim that there is more than one worthy lynch target. Town want to lynch more than one person, Mafia want to lynch more than one person... it is nice for town to remember, but its an easy stance for anyone to take.

Kiki, don't you understand why Eor said your line of questioning was useless? When you ask players a mass of generally simple questions with an obvious answer, its not really helpful. If you get an answer that seems dangerous or a terrible opinion to make a terrible decision, that doesn't make anyone seem scummy. Especially with new players, if you ask 4 or 5 players 4 or 5 questions, you are casting a net and are sure to get some fishy answers. Now you have dirt on someone - x player responded that we should knee-jerk lynch y if y killed z! That's not what we should do, so he is suspicious! No, he's not. As scum, he would try to outwardly seem town, and he would take care to answer your question "correctly," and he would even have scum mates who can tell him how to answer the question. As town, if he answers the question right, there is no harm; if he answers it wrong, you have some dirt to bring up on him later to try to justify his lynch, to sow the seeds of his lynch early by responding in front of everyone saying "No, that's not right, THIS is right."

Those kinds of questions that you are asking work very well for the town when you are near Lylo, where opinions really matter, where you can hear someone put an opinion out and then immediately put them to the test by starting an important lynch.

Do you recognize these points as correct? Do you still think Eor is wrong by saying your line of questions are "worthless?"

More from me to come later. TLI Mafia is in a very important phase and it demands the majority of my thought.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
No Good Spidey-Lovers:

Handorin (5): Sharpevil, Nicholas1024, MexicanBJ, junglefever, Ignatius

Kirby King (1): Eor

tmw_redcell (1): Nothing Rhymes With Circus

Marshy (1): KevinM

Eor (3): Mediocre, Tom, Kirby King

With 17, it takes 9 to lynch!

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
What? No. Your summary of what Handorin said was the first thing to ring suspicious. Handorin stated a very true and valid point: when someone is on the chopping block, they rarely get away with pointing fingers at anyone else. Doing so, even though it might end up being the right thing to do, is easily punishable and easy to call pseudo-scummy, because people can accuse them of dodging questions or focusing attention away from themselves for self-preservation.
So then that behavior (calling Handorin pseudo-scummy for posting his suspects) is scummy, and we should be suspicious of people who do that. And if Handorin does in fact flip town this behavior will look all the more suspicious in retrospect. I do believe this is what Circus was getting at when he pointed out (rightly) that self-preservation is not a requisite for being pro-town; we would gain more from Handorin being a productive member of the town and learning who thought that was scummy than we would from Handorin being intentionally difficult to read.

Handorin does not want to give everyone more rope - this is not scummy. Everyone should argue for their defense and fight for their life, because doing so helps your alignment whatever it is - town indy or scum. I expected Kirby King to understand this, but Kiki used what Handorin said and spun it in an extremely negative light in which Handorin is already going to "flip scum/independent anyway."
Of course I understand that Handorin doesn't want to make himself look more scummy. My argument is that by withholding his suspicions he is looking more scummy. I assume you remember when Iggy was lynched in TMNT mafia? At first it didn't seem like he would be lynched that day, and he decided he was suspicious of A and B (IIRC a townie and the bulletproof Shredder, the latter being someone who killed anyone who tried to NK him... in other words, someone mafia actually wanted to be targeted at night). Then as the votes started to gather on him, he suddenly added Marc to his list of suspects. And then by the time he was the presumptive lynch Marc was among his top suspects. (For non-BRoomers, Marc and Iggy were both mafia.)

This was the concern I articulated (and while I said (sarcastically) "in other words," calling it a "summary" is a misnomer). If scum-Handorin doesn't post his thoughts now (where "now" = "then"), when it's not a given he's going to be lynched, he can point fingers at absolutely whomever he wants once deadline's an hour away and we have to lynch him (or no lynch); in contrast, he has to at least decide who he's going to say he suspects if he posts now, and he can't suddenly decide to "suspect" someone tomorrow without us noticing.

If Handorin is town then I don't see what he's risking by posting his suspect list now. It will give us an extra bit of discussion before deadline and--here's a shock--possibly help us come up with a lynch candidate other than Handorin! (Granted, less likely now since he's waited this long.) Moreover, I don't understand at all why a town-aligned Handorin wouldn't post his suspicions--it's not even a matter of "I don't have any suspicions," it's "I have suspicions ready and waiting but I'm going to wait to post them". I can't think of a legitimate reason a townie would plead the latter, and as I've already said I don't agree that "avoid giving town more rope to hang yourself with" is a valid excuse. When you're suspicious for not being helpful, the best defense is a good offense.

What's frustrating me is that people are trying to lynch Handorin in lieu of discussing anything these last few days, and they (plus Handorin, it seems) are treating it as if it's a foregone conclusion--which it is, as long as no one is interested in looking into anyone else. Hence my suspicions of those who have already bandwagoned Handorin, especially Eor.

Last, to the extent that I suggested he would "flip scum/independent anyway," that's simply because I was expressing a concern that applied if he was scum. Again, it wasn't a literal summary of what he said (which I kind of assumed went without saying), and if he's town I don't think there's a good reason for him to not post his suspicions. If it sounds inflammatory it's because I want him to post his suspicions.

It is true that Handorin attracted attention to himself with the villain/hero x town/scum confusion, and it is also true that he has been "unhelpful." But has he truly been evasive? Has he avoided answering any questions? He has gripped onto his desire to play this game with a semi-serious persona. Don't you expect that when **** gets serious, he will have to get serious as well?

Don't you recognize that someone who is trying to take the game from a semi-serious paradigm, when thrust into the center of attention, is an EASY lynch for mafia to back. Handorin rubs someone the wrong way and they vote for him, not because he seems like he is mafia, but because he seems unhelpful. Has Handorin been more unhelpful than Eor? Than tmw_redcell? Than SharpEvil? No, he hasn't. He has just been in the center of attention and easy to manipulate, and what I see from Kirby King is someone who could easily recognize that Handorin is a great lynch target for mafia to get their game rolling - we learn next to nothing when we lynch him, the general consensus is that he is self-serving and he painted a target on himself by refusing to drop the "y so srs" attitude even though it is about to get him killed - and at this point in time, as long as they try to look like they're not "bandwagoning" on the lynch, they can get away with offing a non-scum. Hell, if they pushed a lynch on an independent, then they would look even better!
That last point is fallacious and I'm pretty sure you know that. TMNT's mafia triator aside I'm not familiar with any setup where anyone but an independent knows they're independent (and since it's D1 there's no cult to worry about), and I'd never give someone town credit for lynching an independent. I assume most people wouldn't.

In terms of your questions about Handorin: yes, he has been evasive, even in answering some of your questions. This was one of the reasons I took notice of him in the first place. And I'm still waiting for him to get serious, but his refusal to post his suspicions just says to me he's literally waiting until the last minute to do so.

To the rest of your post: again, yes, I see how Handorin is an attractive target for mafia. I'm also going to reiterate an important point that I thought I had made pretty clear, but nonetheless one that I think you missed: I don't think Handorin is an ideal lynch. I think lynching him would be better than no lynching, but I'm annoyed that the consensus is shifting to "let's just lynch Handorin now". My post that seemed to offend you so much was an indictment of Handorin's unwillingness to actually save his own skin and of certain people for jumping on him prematurely. I acknowledge that Handorin has been acting suspiciously because he has been, but I do so in service of my point that town is being far too willing to ignore everyone else just because he's doing a few funny things.

I honestly don't think you got that point, because much of your argument doesn't apply to what I said. I'm not voting for Handorin and I already voted for one of the people you happened to name as being of comparable uselessness. You seem to think I don't recognize how Handorin is an easy lynch for mafia when I'm advocating that people stop voting for him.

It is not a "good" thing to claim that there is more than one worthy lynch target. Town want to lynch more than one person, Mafia want to lynch more than one person... it is nice for town to remember, but its an easy stance for anyone to take.
I'm honestly just not following you here. Are you accusing me of... a null tell? I'm disagreeing with those who are prematurely throwing their hands up into the air and saying "oh well, tomorrow's another Day, let's just lynch Handorin now". I didn't say it was "good" so I don't even know what you're suggesting. Regardless, this was part of my point: despite what others have claimed, Handorin is not the only possible lynch for D1, and he's certainly not the only person we can talk about. This seems in agreeance with your belief that Handorin is an easy target for mafia, and as I said, it wouldn't surprise me if there's scum in the Handorin bandwagon. That's why my vote's on Eor right now.

Kiki, don't you understand why Eor said your line of questioning was useless? When you ask players a mass of generally simple questions with an obvious answer, its not really helpful. If you get an answer that seems dangerous or a terrible opinion to make a terrible decision, that doesn't make anyone seem scummy. Especially with new players, if you ask 4 or 5 players 4 or 5 questions, you are casting a net and are sure to get some fishy answers. Now you have dirt on someone - x player responded that we should knee-jerk lynch y if y killed z! That's not what we should do, so he is suspicious! No, he's not. As scum, he would try to outwardly seem town, and he would take care to answer your question "correctly," and he would even have scum mates who can tell him how to answer the question. As town, if he answers the question right, there is no harm; if he answers it wrong, you have some dirt to bring up on him later to try to justify his lynch, to sow the seeds of his lynch early by responding in front of everyone saying "No, that's not right, THIS is right."

Those kinds of questions that you are asking work very well for the town when you are near Lylo, where opinions really matter, where you can hear someone put an opinion out and then immediately put them to the test by starting an important lynch.

Do you recognize these points as correct? Do you still think Eor is wrong by saying your line of questions are "worthless?"
Getting false positives on new players is not a concern in this case--it could have been, and had I gotten a hit on a new player I would have taken it into account, but I didn't. I got a hit on Handorin (who is not a new player) and a hit on Iggy (who is also not a new player). I find it particularly bizarre that you of all people are objecting to this, since I've seen you in game after game ask people what they thought vigilantes should do, or what they thought about random lynching (on D1 and D2). Hell, Ricky gave off a scumtell in SLJ by being for a random lynch--what mafia teammate told him that was a good idea?

So yes, I do still think Eor is wrong, because I do think the ensuing discussion has been (thus far) enlightening. I take it you don't find Iggy scummy?

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I find Handorin's behavior suspicious, yes, but I would have expected him to back down if he were mafia or independent. His stubbornness on defending himself seems to me like the stubbornness of someone who is absolutely sure he is right.

I don't believe he's scum or indie, and I don't believe we'll learn almost anything by lynching him.

Eor, on the other hand, has been at turns inactive, inattentive or at least appearing so, and avoidant. I find him more suspicious than Handorin because of these tactics.

Also, I haven't seen Eor really give his all to a mafia game in a very long time. I know he can play mafia very well, and contribute lots of valuable discussion to the town, but he hasn't shown himself to be interested in doing so for a good while now.

My vote stays.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
The guy on the chopping block has no right to question others.
Wrong. If you were to just start wildly pointing fingers at people who are voting for you (or at the next person closest to lynch), then that would look scummy and might be glossed over. But if there are players who you legitimately suspect, call them out and explain why you're suspicious. In fact, you don't even have to point at people you find suspicious. Giving your thoughts on anyone in any way would be beneficial, even if it's "gosh, so-and-so seems really pro-town." If you were to be lynched and you were to flip town, then we would at least have that to work with. As it stands, you're just letting us fry.

I have done my share of reading, but as soon as I ask some questions, I will get blasted on who I asked questions, the content of the question,about players in the question, etc. (as it happened before).
If you're referring to what I think you're referring to, I merely asked a simple question ("Why did you only point out me and Kiki?"). And the only reason I even asked it is because your actions were hinting at self-preservation again. Lots of people had yet to have the spotlight shown on them, but you pointed out Kiki and I specifically. Of all the players who had been staying out of the spotlight, we were the only ones who had expressed suspicion of you. It looked like a sort of indirect OMGUS.

Handorin stated a very true and valid point: when someone is on the chopping block, they rarely get away with pointing fingers at anyone else. Doing so, even though it might end up being the right thing to do, is easily punishable and easy to call pseudo-scummy, because people can accuse them of dodging questions or focusing attention away from themselves for self-preservation. Handorin does not want to give everyone more rope - this is not scummy.
Handorin can only give us one thing—his thoughts. Those thoughts can only become rope if other players make it so (which, in itself, would give us information). I realize Hando (probably) doesn't want to die, but I don't see why that should stop him from expressing his opinions. The best thing townie Hando can do is try and steer the town in the direction he thinks we need to go. Obviously that would mean not letting himself get lynched, but it would also mean directing the town toward scummier prey. By not doing so, I can only infer that Hando refuses to defend himself and wants to be lynched or he cannot defend himself and is hoping the Day will end with too few votes to result in a lynch at all.

Has **** not gotten serious yet?

It is easy for mafia to back a lynch like this because Handorin has made it easy. Handorin knew what he was doing when he started playing this way. He wanted to be hard to read and now he is, so the town can't trust him and the mafia is free to pounce. That's if he's town (which I clearly find less likely than you do). If Handorin is town and he's playing to win then he really should have started acting like it by now, regardless of whatever strategy he had going into this game.

The rest of your post has been pretty sufficiently covered by Kiki. I was actually going to just let you guys hash this out a bit since I didn't feel like I had much to add, but I figure I might as well make it known that I, too, disagree with some of your stances.

Summing things up, Tom, I find it strange that you are defending Handorin to this degree, even if you do think Eor is a better lynch candidate and that we have more discussing to do. Hando isn't our only option but I still think he's a valid one. I will admit that there's certainly a fair chance that Hando will flip town if we lynch him (not hitting scum on D1? Shocker!), but I think a case for at least an indie Hando has been made pretty well. I'm not suggesting that we just lynch him now and call it a Day, but you are defending Handorin harder than he is and I think that's odd. If Hando is town and he wants his side to win, he should be able to express that himself.

@Eor, MexicanBJ, Nicholas: If your vote was not on Handorin, who would it be on? You can say No Lynch. Please explain.

[Eor, yours doesn't actually seem to be on Handorin. Is this an EE goof or did you forget to unvote?]

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Well, if my vote wasn't on Handorin, then I'd probably vote for Ignatius. My suspicions on him were already explained not so long ago.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
@Tom

Very well then, if you don't think a Handorin lynch would do us any good...

1) Who do you find suspicious? State your reasons please.
2) Do you believe that Kirby King's hypothetical questions produced any scum-tells at all? If so, on who?
3) Do you think Rockin's vote on me for my fake daykill was suspicious at all?
4) Do you think KevinM's vote on me for my fake daykill was suspicious at all?
5) Who do you think is the best candidate for a lynch today?

Top Bottom