• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
One of Yoshi's UpB customs allows him to warp to a very high point above the level. You can stall with it. :applejack:
I'm curious now. Do you have sauce?

There will definitely be custom moves that get banned because some are truly just absurd, but perhaps they'll allow some to be illegal in moderation... But then I'm sure that will cause a whole different debate.

But it's easier just to ban them altogether.

:093:
While I agree with you on the all or nothing notion for the sake of simplicity, I'm holding off on the nothing judgment until I see the ridiculousness for myself... if it's even there.

And a more buff character with the superior variations going against others that lack them, will get outclassed. Sounds like variations may get a Customs Tier List or something.
That's just an unfortunate result of imbalance in the game; which, in a cast of 48(49 if you count Mii fighters) is bound to happen. Unless that variation or option becomes the standard and not so much a crunch for specific matchups, I don't see why it should be banned.

... I mean, let's ignore the fact that Meta Knight in Brawl wasn't banned uniformly for a minute. I'd like to call that a misjudgment on the community's part.

I think what people aren't realizing is that the majority of the custom moves were just to make them different for the sake of being different and to add more content... I don't think it's going to add this "depth", "variety", or "balance" that would be granted in a magical world of wonder.

I don't know how we can sit here looking at custom moves that have either fire or ice effects and think "this is what the metagame needs".

I'm just saying, there isn't anything wrong with a game having more ways to be played. It's only a problem when one option becomes so obviously clear-cut better than the other things that are available that a check should be put in.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
i don't think there will be an issue regarding players having to have ALL custom moves unlocked as only you are going to use that system in most cases so any custom moves you have are probably the ones your gonna use vs your opponent. The only times i could see people needing to have all custom moves are if they are playing on capture card systems. Those systems will need to have all custom moves. As far as Wii U goes for custom moves we can transfer custom characters WITH their custom moves intact essentially unlocking those pieces. If anything i feel the Wii U version might have all custom moves unlocked from the start because of this.

Also that yoshi thing i believe was a glitch involving him using down B first and then getting this major boost, and i'm guessing this alongside the D3 butt gordo glitch and the wario momentum glitch getting patched. I mean nintendo still has to fix For Glory mode so it will stop banning peach players for using turnips :/ .

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I've heard one of game and watch's hammer variations is he either takes damage or gets a 9. Moves being banned isn't really the issue though. It's the extra time that tournaments will take to complete because of all of the character changing.

Unless you can choose them like how MvC does it right on the selection screen, switching through menus and making multiple move changes will eat up serious time throughout the entirety of a tournament.

I don't have an issue with the idea of custom moves. I just believe they'll be gone sooner rather than later.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
yea you can choose custom moves right from the selection screen. each character has 10 slots with the first one being their default moveset. switching custom moves takes about as much time as changing controls if not less time.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
That's not so bad then. I was under the impression it was in an entirely different menu. I still don't think they'll last, but again, I don't really mind either way.

Some characters are going to clearly benefit more than others though. Sonic's at first glance seem pretty pointless. At most, just offering a move that's just good in a different way, than being flat out better.

I'm sure that's not the case for some characters.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I'm pretty sure sonic's side-B with the tall hop allows for some pretty hilarious shenannigans

Especially given our two-l'il'springs up-B. I'm plotting some seriously crazy stuff with this.

It may yet be tough to face a Lil Mac / Yoshi that actually have recoveries though. we shall see...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I just woke up from a dream, where I was playing as Sonic on the Wii U version, in Boss Mode.
It was a challenge where I had to beat Eggman, and several badniks he threw your way.

I think that I charged one of the custom Side+B's all the way, and once I did, Sonic became charged with lightspeed power (like in the Adventure games), resulting in one super powerful homing attack when I released.

Just to be safe... I think someone should test this. :D Imagine if one of those customs is more than meets the eye.

Man, what an awesome dream.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Regarding Custom Movesets in tournies. Why can't there be two separate types of Smash 4 tournies that co-exist? Clearly there is enough interest even here for people to want to test out Custom Tournies. One that is based 100% on the default movesets like normal. And the other for those who want to see Custom Movesets work out one way or another. Everybody's happy that way :p

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
"Co-exist" is not a term in the Smash dictionary.

#oneunit

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Custom moves will be legal until they are proven to me to be bad for tournaments play/logistics. Because im a to so I get to make decisions like that

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
That Yoshi stall requires the Yoshi to Ground Pound first, and then UpB during the ending lag. It's a technical glitch.

Balance may not have been the first thing on the developers' minds when they made the custom moves, but they're not going to outright halt the fight with any of the moves intentionally.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
oh my lord I had to google to make sure it was real

That's so funny. And terrifying.

I tried getting into Monster Hunter but just couldn't… If I ever tried it again, I would use only that forever.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Hello to all Sonic mains. Been a long time since I been here but now I'm back for Smash 4. And now I want to play Monster Hunter after looking at that poster lol.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Regarding Custom Movesets in tournies. Why can't there be two separate types of Smash 4 tournies that co-exist? Clearly there is enough interest even here for people to want to test out Custom Tournies. One that is based 100% on the default movesets like normal. And the other for those who want to see Custom Movesets work out one way or another. Everybody's happy that way :p
"Co-exist" is not a term in the Smash dictionary.

#oneunit

He's right, actually.

The reason custom moveset tourneys won't co-exist with the default; should it even be considered, is because it takes resources to host events.

You would only understand if you've hosted or co-hosted a tournament yourself; but, it takes time to manage this sort of thing. Time is not something TOs want to take lightly.

For example: if a TO had to make a choice between this and doubles as a 2nd event to hold at his tournament, he'd likely go with the one that has more variety, would have more entrants, and would; thus, be more worth the effort invested.

It really is a matter of what happens from here. If custom movesets turn out to be broken to a point that the game is DRASTICALLY altered in the way it's played, it'll be a thing of the past soon after that realization. If it, however, ends up being the ideal scenario where it adds that extra spice of variety into the game without changing anything major, I'd hope it'd be here to stay.

Custom moves will be legal until they are proven to me to be bad for tournaments play/logistics. Because im a to so I get to make decisions like that
Keep doing what you're doing, Goggles. You're doing the community a favor by not having a closed mind.

Hello to all Sonic mains. Been a long time since I been here but now I'm back for Smash 4. And now I want to play Monster Hunter after looking at that poster lol.
Welcome back! Doesn't feel good to return to the hype train?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
He's right, actually.
Oh shucks. Please don't inflate my ego.

But in all seriousness, the Smash community is very strange about rulesets since that's the nature of the game itself... There's really no given "standard" but for the sake of uniformity and ease of running events of "equal" merit across the world, we try to quickly jump to a set of rules to get things moving, even if they're not the best or even ideal.

Thus, we end up with bland settings and a community that is unwilling to change. For example, MK was a whole fiasco for Brawl because we didn't want to ban him since we've never banned a character in any Smash game before, and then when we finally banned him the community backlashed because "it's too late now" and we ended up with people not agreeing on a new "law", so to speak.

I personally have no interest in custom moves so I'm biased, but I'm not opposed to experimentation. I just think they're uninteresting and will cause headaches. I never liked the idea of it since day 1.
Keep doing what you're doing, Goggles. You're doing the community a favor by not having a closed mind.
^ And there will always be this, at least for now... Until the community ends up deciding one way or another and riots against any TO who tries to run a different "standard" that's different from what they know or prefer. But this early on, we should really allow the game to grow on its own instead of having 2-stock or 3-stock debate when ALMOST NO ONE HAS PLAYED THE GAME LET ALONE COMPETED IN AN ACTUAL TOURNAMENT ENVIRONMENT DEAR GOD PEOPLE
@ BlueTerrorist BlueTerrorist Are you in NYC? @ Camalange Camalange and I are smashfesting it up for the smash4 demo tomorrow night. Maybe @Trent too. All Sonics are welcome. You in? :)
Welcome back, and welcome tomorrow? Maybe? Didn't realize how many NY Sonics there were but **** it's like we all congregated.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
There was only really 3 Texas Sonics at most throughout Brawl's history. I think.
Might be missing 2 or so, but they weren't very active. :applejack:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Espy
Tesh (yes, he counts)
Mr 3000 (yeaaaaa remember THAT guy?)
There was at least2 others

Speaking of old sonics, I hope malcolm comes back

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Dude, I was just talking about Mr. 3000 the other day hahaha he randomly popped back in my head. He was super relevant for like a month and then just disappeared without ever showing his face. Does anyone actually know who that guy was?

I really hope Malcolm makes a return. I miss that goofy man.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Malcolm is still playing Wario. I remember when him and Shadofiend stayed over my place for Genesis 2. He played Sonic then suddenly switched to the fat man.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah, even in the peak of Brawl he mostly used Wario.

He's still a Sonic main at heart though.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I don't know 100% if I'll be using Sonic as I used to in Brawl. The 3DS control scheme is gonna be hard to get used to, and I can use this time to learn other characters where my elements such as spin shots and whatnot aren't thrown outta whack with the c-stick gone. Gonna focus on Lucina, Charizard and Bowser otherwise.

But...come the Wii U version...

:4sonic:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
But...come the Wii U version...

:4sonic:
Yeah, I actually have a feeling I'm not gonna be thrilled with controlling Sonic on the 3DS, so I'm using it as more of a way to just familiarize myself and experiment with the game and characters. But we'll see. Maybe the 3DS will surprise me. I've gotten use to the demo controls but that's using not as tech heavy characters like Link and Mario though.

I can't even begin to imagine spinshot.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Mr. 3000 probably wasn't known out of state for a long time, but from 08-09-ish he was definitively the only Sonic here. :applejack:

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I think what people aren't realizing is that the majority of the custom moves were just to make them different for the sake of being different and to add more content... I don't think it's going to add this "depth", "variety", or "balance" that would be granted in a magical world of wonder.

I don't know how we can sit here looking at custom moves that have either fire or ice effects and think "this is what the metagame needs".

That is like saying MK X's custom movesets aren't adding depth to the game, of course its adding depth to the game.
You have several different options now available for your character.
Each variation of Sonic's moves provide different options.
No doubt the tournaments will allow them as well, and it doesn't take long to swap custom moves at all, Less time than swapping your controls even.

Every Wii U should have everything unlocked, it is a necessity really.

Given the fact that there is actual hit stun in the game, its faster paced, it would be safe to say the game will be much shorter than Brawl's.

Fact of the matter is that it should be embraced, not avoided.

Last edited:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
So, I love the feel of this game already. The control scheme is a bit awkward at first. New 3ds would go a long way to fixing this issue. Megaman is awkward as all **** and I already know I never want to play as him again lol. This demo is the perfect thing to do when sitting on load screens on destiny. Now to leave my 3ds on until full release.

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
Definitely still getting used to these controls.

That's my johns for why @ Camalange Camalange kicked my pikabutt.

But then we played Bawrl, and I got wrecked by cammy and dark.pch

so don't worry, I'm still bad at that too! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom