• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Unleashed

TrePVox

Smash Cadet
There is now a 75% chance that Unleashed will be rushed so that development of this game can begin. :urg:

and let's count the number of unreleased Sonic games that are now confirmed:

Unleashed
Chronicles
Black Knight

Seriously, Sonic is starting to be milked more than Mario.
Sonic and the Dark Chronicles is looking really good though and isn't being done with Sega so its not being rushed in any way so it should be good.

Lovely

Smash Lord
Hmmm, so far it looks like it's comming out on November 18 this year. I might have fun playing this game. Um.... should I get this game on the Wii or the PS3?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
There is now a 75% chance that Unleashed will be rushed so that development of this game can begin. :urg:

and let's count the number of unreleased Sonic games that are now confirmed:

Unleashed
Chronicles
Black Knight

Seriously, Sonic is starting to be milked more than Mario.
More milked than Mario?

...Normally that'd be blasphemy, but sadly it's totally true...

Hmmm, so far it looks like it's comming out on November 18 this year. I might have fun playing this game. Um.... should I get this game on the Wii or the PS3?
PS3. It has less of a chance of being stupid on that, i.e. screwed over to make the Wii version "exclusive", a.k.a. crappy.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Wii. It looks better and the exclusive stuff is worth it (as in worth buying it over the Ps3 version).

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Wii. It looks better and the exclusive stuff is worth it (as in worth buying it over the Ps3 version).
I don't remember hearing the Wii getting any good exclusive stuff besides control schemes and different levels.

I might end up getting the 360 or PS3 version.

binki4

Smash Apprentice
i like to have sonic unleashed on wii that will be good for me playing with gamecube controller so i could finished the game after i done my homework

VaneWalker

Smash Apprentice
WHOA WHERE THE **** DID THIS DARK KNIGHT COME FROM? I WAS IN THE PHILIPINES FOR TWO MONTHS AND WAS DEPRIVED OF THE INTERNET BUT I MEAN COME ON. God **** SEGA, how ******** can they get. What kinf of concept is this? this is the first time I've heard of this and I'm reasearching as I'm typing but Its such a F**ked up Idea

Minato

穏やかじゃない
So...did anyone get it? Good? Okay? Failure?
I've been hearing good things from the fans of the series.

Unfortunately there are some reviews that gave it a 7, but some people are saying that it's harsh.

I can't wait until the 360 version comes out so I can play it.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
A 7's not a bad score considering the hell-hole this frachise has been in for some time. Not awesome, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
So...did anyone get it? Good? Okay? Failure?
Somewhere in between good and okay. If the werehog never existed, I'd rate it a "****ing amazing" out of 10.

In short:

Pros:

Daytime levels are amazing
Great and fitting music
Always something to come back to

Cons:

Nighttime levels are bleh
Hub worlds are absolutely pointless as well as useless
30 frames per second. Said to dip lower at times, but I don't recall that happening, at least not too drastically.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Oops, I forgot the link to the review.
I know it's IGN, so you don't have to agree with what they say.

But here it is: http://wii.ign.com/articles/931/931596p1.html

The daytime stages are going to be so awesome to play, too bad the game's not full of them.
But I personally think the werehog parts look interesting, so I'm willing to give it a shot and not bash it.

I'm just hoping the Werehog stages aren't too bland and repetitive. I just need some good old platforming in it.

Kaabi

Smash Cadet
Nintendo Power said exactly the same as IGN, but awarded it an 8. Having seen videos of the daytime stages, I have to admit they look pretty good. Oh, and since it's IGN don't bother too much with the repetitiveness. They tend to overreact in this matter a little.
Has anyone found any videos from the Werehog stages?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
If the day stages are really supposed to be that good, I suppose it's worth a rent. If it's really good, I'll buy it...but I severely doubt it will be. I'll probably just rent it.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Someone posted on GameFAQs with a video on Spagonia for the 360.
http://files.filefront.com/SpagoniaDaymp4/;12425085;/fileinfo.html

It looks amazing (not the streamed version, but the downloaded version)

Looks like there aren't any frame rate issues for the day time levels on the 360 version.
I'll be picking this game up just before Thanksgiving.
Holy perfected gameplay, Batman! That looks incredible. Now if they could just give us a game that's just that, 20 times.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Holy perfected gameplay, Batman! That looks incredible. Now if they could just give us a game that's just that, 20 times.
I heard the 360 and PS3 version has more daytime stages than the Wii version.

I also think some said that there are 2-3 daytime acts for each area. That's not too bad.

marthmaster59

Smash Journeyman
i dislike people.as soon as theirs a commercial you notice it?S.U. was released way before the commercial and the media has the nuts to say it is brand new?

w/e, it is still a great game, probably the only 3d sonic game other than sonic heroes to be decent.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
i dislike people.as soon as theirs a commercial you notice it?S.U. was released way before the commercial and the media has the nuts to say it is brand new?
Was this directed at me or just people in general? Because I've been following this game since their first teaser trailer.
Edit: Never mind, I think you were talking about the media.

w/e, it is still a great game, probably the only 3d sonic game other than sonic heroes to be decent.
You didn't enjoy SA 1 or 2? Even if you didn't like it, they're still decent.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I heard the 360 and PS3 version has more daytime stages than the Wii version.
Really? Glad I'm going for the 360 version then. Originally I just wanted better graphics and fewer dropped frames. Just one more reason to avoid the Wii version.

I also think some said that there are 2-3 daytime acts for each area. That's not too bad.
That's good to hear. But I thought I had read that nighttime still dominates the game. Maybe not in number of acts, but in amount of time spent doing them. Which I can still deal with, just wish I didn't have to.

More than anything, I just think the werehog idea is absurd.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Okay, I found Sonic Heroes to be decent, but not moreso than Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic Adventure 2 (or their Gamecube remakes).
I also found Sonic '06 to be pretty good, but that's neither here nor there.

When I rent this, I'm DEFINITELY renting the 360 version. If there truly are more daytime stages, then that = EPIC WIN (in comparison, anyways). Even if there aren't, the only difference between the two would be graphics and some motion sensor in the Wii (there is some in the Wii version, correct?) Since I hate motion sensor gaming and there's no reason to settle for worse graphics, I think the 360 wins for me.
If I were buying it, it would be a different story, because the 360 version is probably $10 more. But I'm not buying it until I try it, and even then it'd have to be pretty good for me to buy it before it drops in price to at most $40.

Roymyboy284

Smash Journeyman
Alright, time to break into this! I've been waiting for a long time to play SU, and now I have, my words are ready to spill out! Just to warn you, I am a FANBOY, meaning I will point out that this game KICKS ***, but also point out the negative points of it. Here we go!

First of all, I freakin love it. Seriously, this is the BEST Sonic game I've played on my Wii(not including my Sonic VC games and GCN games played on the Wii, I assure you)! The graphics were actually not dumbed down too much for the Wii, the gameplay stunned me with how fun it was, and seeing as how they only have only two of the other original secondary characters, Tails and Amy, I was impressed with it. But, I have much to say on the negative things, so let's move on. I will comment on something bad, then something good, and repeat the process.

Oh boy, the Werehog levels. Now, I'm not saying they're bad, I'm just saying that they're kind of slow paced. I'm usually really exited when get a new tablet for a new stage, but when it says, "You got this continent's Moon Tablet!" I kind of sighed. BUT. After unlocking certain combos, the levels do get more fun, but just not as fun as the fast-paced day levels.

Now something good: the music. Oh. My. GOD! I love it! Spagonia in the day is awesome, Chun-Nan is awesome, and freakin ENDLESS POSSIBILITY IS AMAZING!!! Not to mention the orcastrated version while
fighting Dark Gaia. Yeah, I used spoiler tags for spoilers!
And that is all.

Now my last point. I know there is still a lot to touch on, but I don't feel like typing all that. Back to Unleashed. There comes a time in every developer's mind that says, "I'm gonna make a REALLY annoying character!" Navi did it to Zelda, and now Chip is doing it to Sonic. Chip is not a very quiet character. He's obnoxious, his constant food jokes annoy me, he stands out in Unleashed's darker storyline, and was just not a very good character to me.

Well, that's all the time I have for today. To any people who disagree, please do not flame. I might have more to say later, but until then, ta-ta!

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
Really? Glad I'm going for the 360 version then. Originally I just wanted better graphics and fewer dropped frames. Just one more reason to avoid the Wii version.

That's good to hear. But I thought I had read that nighttime still dominates the game. Maybe not in number of acts, but in amount of time spent doing them. Which I can still deal with, just wish I didn't have to.

More than anything, I just think the werehog idea is absurd.
I hate to say this, and I'm not saying this to be a smartass, but the reason the Werehog stages probably take longer is because, well... Sonic the Werehog is SLOW. XD He's gonna take his time instead of blazing a trail across the map. :p

I've got one more day to wait for this game... HELL YEAZ! :D

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
I'm kind of sad that there don't seem to be any bonus abilities for the regular Sonic like they have for the beast one.

K64

Smash Apprentice
*looks at some screens* hmmmm.... :) *Sonic turns 2 a werewolf* F***! *grabs Sonic Mega Collection* I luv u :)

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
If you are interested in this game at all, as in, even if you used to like Sonic games before the switch into the 3rd "D" making all of them horrible, then you owe it to yourself to watch The Night of the Werehog. Really, the animation is stunning. The story's kind of "meh," but it comes across well-enough, especially since there's no dialogue. But like I said, the animation is top-notch.

When I watched the "100 Mile Dash" scene from The Incredibles, all I could think was "Man, with the technology today, they could make an amazing Sonic the Hedgehog movie, if they could just keep Sega from getting involved."

You get no Sonic speed in Night of the Werehog, but it's still an amazing bit of animation.

The Werehog portions of the game remind me of Ristar (another 16-bit Sonic Team game), so I'm willing to give the game a try just for that, because Ristar was fantastic.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
If you are interested in this game at all, as in, even if you used to like Sonic games before the switch into the 3rd "D" making all of them horrible, then you owe it to yourself to watch The Night of the Werehog. Really, the animation is stunning.
Yeah, I've watched it. I actually enjoyed Night of the Werehog. Reminded me of those good old Disney or Loony Toons cartoons.

And yeah, Sega's quite talented in making CG cutscenes.

D

Deleted member

If you are interested in this game at all, as in, even if you used to like Sonic games before the switch into the 3rd "D" making all of them horrible, then you owe it to yourself to watch The Night of the Werehog. Really, the animation is stunning. The story's kind of "meh," but it comes across well-enough, especially since there's no dialogue. But like I said, the animation is top-notch.
I saw that a few days ago. Kinda cool, but at the same time kinda lame.

§leepy God

Smash Master
The day that a Sonic game will get it's pride back, this has to be the game for it. But I wonder what system is going to be the best for it... Wii or the 360?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I hate to say this, and I'm not saying this to be a smartass, but the reason the Werehog stages probably take longer is because, well... Sonic the Werehog is SLOW. XD He's gonna take his time instead of blazing a trail across the map. :p
Regardless, they STILL take longer. It doesn't matter what causes it if it means more time spent on something less enjoyable.
Even so, they could've taken that into account and shortened the Werehog levels.

Especially since they should've seen a dislike for those levels coming from a mile away.

*looks at some screens* hmmmm.... :) *Sonic turns 2 a werewolf* F***! *grabs Sonic Mega Collection* I luv u :)
*Grabs his Genesis Model 1* You're a god.

By the way, I'm getting the impression that the consensus would be that Sonic Unleashed is up to Sonic Adventure 1 + 2 standards if it weren't for Werehog. Am I correct?

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
No.

People will just purposely look for flaws just to give it a low score. :O
It's the sad truth that the world is simply out to get Sonic these days. You can't have something new or different anymore.

In truth, the fandom doesn't know what it wants anymore. And anyone who denies that is just, well, being stupid. XD If they made another 2D Sonic game in the classic style, critics would state that it gets repetitive and you're just constantly holding forward. Just like how some people would think that Unleashed was just constantly holding forward.

Uhm. Hi. I'm Sonic. Sonic the Hedgehog. And I like to CONSTANTLY MOVE FORWARD!!

I hate the Sonic Fandom and yet love the games and the characters. He'll never get a break. If anything, Sonic Unleashed might turn into Mega Man X8; it was a great game that got a bad name because reviewers decided to be jerks. It's as simple as that, people.

But let's hope that we get people to see how fun the new Sonic game is, and just ignore the reviews if you like it so much. They can go suck it for all I care. Lawl.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Based on what I've seen of the daytime levels, I'm actually expecting this to top the Adventure games. The werehog is a bit of a hiccup in what could probably be a much more solid game, but there were plenty of things about SA and SA2 that I disliked as well.

Even with the werehog being slow and lumbering, it can't be much less fun than the Tails/Eggman levels from SA2 (they were fine, but a bit boring) and certainly not any worse than the Big levels from SA. So I'm sure it's ultimately an upgrade.

K64

Smash Apprentice
By the way, I'm getting the impression that the consensus would be that Sonic Unleashed is up to Sonic Adventure 1 + 2 standards if it weren't for Werehog. Am I correct?
Don't forget the Tails segments! Anyway it'll be possible if they just took the mutation out.

Top Bottom