• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Soooooo no character discussion for almost a week.

Request to go over Marth next? Some of the Sonics are saying it's an even MU, and I'm curious why, because that would make Sonic one of the four MUs Marth has with characters below him on the current tier list that's considered even.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Sonic kinda molests Marth offstage, which at the same time avoiding getting the same treatment in return.

rising fair on shield is easily punishable, with a number of options.

sonic is very good at baiting things, and baiting marth successfully means a whiffed dolphin slash, which is amazing.

sonic also destroys spacing for most characters, so unless dude is super lucky or you are being unsafe, you arent going to randomly die at 70 to a tipper f smash.

side b does eat us up tho. and marth is just as good at juggling as us. if not better. he can **** airdodges, can hit thru spring and is fast enough to catch us even if we spring dair away from him.

also, marth CAN NOT ledge stall against us for anything. all that ledgedrop fair thru the stage bs that he likes to do gets CRUSHED by us. sonic is so fast he can steal the ledge in an instant.

EVERYONE

ALERT

IF YOU GRAB THE LEDGE BEFORE MARTH, STAY THERE. DO NOT LEAVE THE LEDGE, HIS SIDE B WILL NOT STALL OUT YOUR INVINCIBILITY. AND DONT GET OFF THE LEDGE UNTIL YOU ARE 100% SURE THAT HES DEAD.

seriously, ive seen FAR too many people have a guaranteed ledgehog death on marth but then they get off the ledge even tho marths up b lets him float in the same place for like half a second so he can grab the ledge. and if the up b hits you off the ledge, just spring.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Funnerfact: You can fast fall fair on marth's shield and not get grabbed cuz sonic goes super thin like a fish during his landing lag. He will have time to grab at you a 2nd time and succeed though.

Tesh

Smash Hero
lol^

fish dodge bait.

AT get.
Actually in theory that might be able to work on ZSS and Samus. They have stupidly designed grabboxes and enough lag that Sonic would recover before they do lol.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yea thats exactly what happens to me when i do that to a marth. They just get me the 2nd time. Tbh it probably goes under alot of grabs, he falls pretty flat for a couple of frames there.

Basically for a few frames during fair's landing lag, Sonic looks like this:

He is vertically about as small as kirby crouching and alot of grabs and attacks will go right over him.

As Tenki said, we are gonna call it the "fast fall fish bait" or FFFB or Fx3B AT from now on?

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I have a replay of me vs BengalsRZ online. The connection a pretty damn good. I'm so happy that my new apartment's wifi isn't made of failure.

It's an entire set and Bengals is a pretty good Marth. Granted, who would want to watch my bumass Sonic fight Marth, when you can look at Espy vs Nike?

NH Cody

Smash Champion
because we could make fun of you and your mistakes forever

kidding :laugh:

because you will probably have some mixups that we've never seen before.

and personally, I use marth as a backup so watching BRZ would be fun for me.

Tesh

Smash Hero
This is not the correct thread to post that. It belongs in PMs, the video thread or the social. I'm reporting you the Chis.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Topic is fast fall fish bait and its applications in the marth matchup.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
fk tesh. what a flaming douchebag, I hope he gets hit by a truck.

Please people dont quote him when you talk to him. It just makes it so that I have to read his *********** anyway when I really dont want to.

cant he just main some other character or something, just so tired of him being here, not contributing anything.

Trillion

Smash Ace
I seriously LOL'd when I read the Fast Fall Fish Bait thing. That sounds so incredibly ********. I honestly have never heard of a more ridiculous sounding plan.

Tesh

Smash Hero
fk tesh. what a flaming douchebag, I hope he gets hit by a truck.

Please people dont quote him when you talk to him. It just makes it so that I have to read his *********** anyway when I really dont want to.

cant he just main some other character or something, just so tired of him being here, not contributing anything.
Lol, man I got this matchup like 70:30 guys. Tesh hard counters K.I.D. I'm not even trying and I still make him mad.

Little does K.I.D. know, this was my plan the entire time. I have crucial information that will turn any Sonic into a top level player capable of defeating Ally, M2K and all of Japan for THOUSANDS of dollars weekly. And without reading my posts, he will never learn the dark side of the steak. I must ask that none of you quote my posts in front of K.I.D., as he may learn the ancient arts of my people.

On topic though, what matchups should we be discussing next? I know Marth is on the table, but perhaps Mario or some other easy matchup could go up alongside it?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Donkey Bong please. It'll be one I actually want to participate in and would be willing to argue.

:093:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Marth, Diddy Kong, Olimar, Pikachu, Toon Link, Sheik, and Pit are probably the ones I'm most interested in MU synopsis.

Among those, Toon Link is at the top. I've steadily grown to fear the boomerang and Zair, but I dunno if I should.

I do fear that Nair and Bair though.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
So are we going to discuss marf or not? Id love to go over more solid approaches for gimping the guy like ledgedrop invincible fair/nair.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
How do you pressure a small little guy who has amazing arial mobility, has 3 projectiles plus Zair and (probably?) kills easier than we do.

I'm curious.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Toon Link does not kill easier than Sonic. Not in this matchup anyway. His best bet is upsmash, everything else won't kill Sonic til like 160 and he is light enough to die from upthrow, nair, uptilt, uair, bair, dair etc. by that time anyway.

Tesh

Smash Hero
If you are having trouble landing any hits at all, then I don't think killing is your biggest issue. Just pointing out that we kill him at like 150+ with our easier to land moves that can punish his air game.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
How do you pressure a small little guy who has amazing arial mobility, has 3 projectiles plus Zair and (probably?) kills easier than we do.

I'm curious.
Okay

this is what you do:

1. run up to him really fast since you're the fastest hedgehog in the world!
2. attack
3. profit

;D

no seriously. Just run up, avoiding the projectiles and attack loll is it really that hard?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Except in the grand scheme of things he's right.

The issue is how you approach.

If you charge in with a headfirst assault you'll only get chipped.

You have to slow down so you can see the first wall and react accordingly. If that means stop and go with a shield, so be it. If the approach was via spinshot, you should go over most everything that is not a boomerang angled to meet you airborne. Even still, I've had weird cases of clashing with the boomerang so if you got balls of steel and feel like attacking through the Boomerang and possibly go through to T.Link go for it, otherwise AD through the boomerang and make sure you don't get hit on the way in, or get hit from behind from the boomerang that will inevitably come back (Unless in this case the Boomerang gets a mind of its own and decides to go to Australia but that's just me being silly).

The second wall being one of T.Link's Melee attacks to push you out to get you back on the first wall.

Once you've gotten past that, it should be easier.

Sometimes yeah it might be better to get in quickly to keep the opponent guessing but more often than not that's only when the opponent is already conditioned.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
It's just that it stopped working once they know I'm gonna either spinshot or SDJ over them to try get past their wall of annoyance and I end up eating a Nair. Dude's like a fly. Walking/Running > shielding against his stuff seems to only work so far for me.

But I'm just a wifi Sonic though.
Anyway, back to lurking...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Well then if it works why do other things? :laugh:

But obviously that isn't the end-all be-all answer, as things that work will get predictable and may as well have the same effect as the gimmicks; whether or not they actually land.

Seriously, I'm at a loss of what else to say. Perhaps just a passive-aggressive style is best for that kind of thing. You cannot go for either extreme as both are bad (should be obvious why), so you find a medium where you're at the advantage.

Mix-ups are so important. Both players/characters need to find what works and not commit to a pattern. Both have the same margin of error and both moreorless have the same risk. Vs. rewards. Just another one of those "I need experience to have an idea of what to do" MUs I guess.

Hope that helped a bit. I know it's easy to say all this on paper but much harder to do in practice. I promise you though that adaptability helps so much! :)

Tenki

Smash Hero
It's just that it stopped working once they know I'm gonna either spinshot or SDJ over them to try get past their wall of annoyance and I end up eating a Nair. Dude's like a fly. Walking/Running > shielding against his stuff seems to only work so far for me.

But I'm just a wifi Sonic though.
Anyway, back to lurking...
Shield and timing doesn't work on wifi. That may or may not contribute.

Top Bottom