• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Marth controls the platforms, why do you think Battlefield is such a great stage for Marth? The edges can be troublesome, but not to the extent that you are exaggerating it to be.
I wasn't necessarily exagerating that point, but I do understand how problematic Marth can be at Battlefield, however the platforms are different and its a longer stage. I was just looking for some advantages Marth has is all. I find that the odd shape and the stage movement just gives Sonic a slight advantage because of the spindash boosts and the space.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Marth controls the platforms, why do you think Battlefield is such a great stage for Marth? The edges can be troublesome, but not to the extent that you are exaggerating it to be.
Out of the 5 neutral stages, Lylat seems to be the worst for him. Or FD. It's that third platform in the middle that makes it hard to get down. But that can also be a plus for Marth I guess (cause it's also harder for other characters to get down, and Marth is loving that idea).

I mean, if you had to ban something, what would you ban. Most people ban their least favorite neutral (so that you don't get counterpicked on the very first match), or a stage that's known to be really, really bad for their character. Since Marth doesn't really have the latter, I'd go with the former.

And I'd rather talk about Code Geass, but then there would be too many spoilers
last episode is Sunday

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I would be interested to know about the Marth's that Blue is destroying in tourney since we are both from NJ.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Hopefully soon.
Greenstreet hasn't got the proper format up for the Marth bit yet. And it's not like we can start discussion on the next character or it'd get really unorganised.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Hmmm... So kirby's next?

Hes the ultimate BUBBLE GUM!!!!

First we got dat original hubba bubba!(original kirby)
Then we got that mystery flava!!!(white one)
Then we got dat spearmint!(green one)
Then dat winterfresh!(blue one)
Then dat Juicyfriut!!(yellow one)
And last WE GOT DAT BA-BA-BA! BIGGG REDDD!!(>_> the red one...)

These are kirbys flavas... =D

Umby

Smash Master
The main issue with Kirby is that being a small character, he's a bit tough to hit with Sonic. From my perspective, force him into ground combat (He's no slouch on the ground, but you're still in better standings than if you took him on in the air) and restrict his movements with grabs and dthrows. Easier said than done when he's in the air. In the air, I view Kirby somewhat like a view Peach: at the beginning of their jump, knock them back down with a Fair or Nair. Like with D3, you should be able to counter Inhale with hyphen smash (I haven't tried it, but it would seem applicable here). In general DAC/Boost Smash should work well in nullifying aerial approaches from mid distance.

If you mix up your Spin Charges with Spin Dashes, I don't recommend using the latter that much for the most part. For some reason it seems to easily run into Kirby's Fsmash.

I personally say 60:40 Kirby.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Yea Umby basically smashed it. Lets get a kirby to erm help with there out look. Someone go scout!
I'll be glad to help you guys when u get to T.Link and Snake even tho its kinda far away.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Hmmm...nice well Terios they probally pick it to attack u from under the stage. Its kinda smart IDK if this is the reason though.
But stages like BF, FD, and SV seem good in this matchup to me.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Although I totally disagree strongly with the Marth percentage, Umby really gave a good description of the kirby Sonic match-up. I agree with 60-40.
Oh, you mean that 65-35? I would say 60-40 Marth myself, but on paper, it's 65-35. I second Marth, so I know the advantages and disadvantages of using Marth, as does nearly every other competent Sonic main, so it seems like the match is easier than it looks.

But on paper, it's 65:35.

As for Kirby, he has this nice little combo that can get you from 0-30 in a matter of moments... please, don't get grabbed by Kirby in your opening moments. His recovery is serious.
not to DJBrowny though, lol
Any tips on how to effectively take care of that?

One more thing, he's a real lightweight. In the event I lose and they didn't ban said stages, I like to take Kirbys to places with small ceilings, such as Green Greens and Melee Yoshi Island. Uairs, Uthrows, and Utilts are too dangerous.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Hmmm...his recovery?
Kirby having multiple jumps is certinly not easy to gimp.
Then on top of that Sonic < Kirby in the air so...I say just drop some springs if hes below or if hes high up HA him? Maybe...

Umby

Smash Master
Kirby off stage is weird. Get him low and you can probably bair/dair him, obviously, but chances are that won't happen. I haven't really done much to try and challenge Kirby off stage, but I suppose high up you can Side B way out then Spring -> aerial. Homing Attack most likely won't work.

Also, if you want to work in a Spring -> Uair kill above the stage, I suggest using VSJ first. It gives you that extra height you may need if he goes into the magnifying glass, not to mention Kirby will probably try and stone on sight. With VSJ you have some time to avoid that.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
kirby can get get any middle weight character or heavier from 0 to 40 damage faster than just about anyone in the game. and kirby is heavier than he looks because hammer kills all horizontal movement, making it way harder to kill him off the sides, its also possible to stone and prevent vert kills though it wont happen often. also if kirby trys to rock on you there is a moment of transformation time, so you can possibly predict it and hit with up air first

the kirby i play with always tries to camp the ledge for a kirbicide if he is a stock up. so avoid that, although if he misses, he is very easy back air stage spike bait.

down air also can set up for grabs and forward smash very easily. they will approach with back forward and down airs, none really have enough lag to punish effectively. they will also space and punish with forward smash because its fast and has way range for a character as small as kirby.

because of his overhead approaches, early up smashes can do really good damage.

that is all for now

Browny

Smash Hater
kirbys silly fthrow uair combo doesnt work vs the spring. also i suspect whenever he eats you, spring immediately out of it. for some free damage.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Terios, I recommend you look at Sonic's match-ups on other character threads.
Seriously, they're the most painfully funny thing on Smashboards.

My recommendations go to Fox and Pit, even though I'd stop bugging the Pit ones. I've had enough facts ignored already.

And leave the Fox one alone too, even though it's the funniest. Leave them living in ignorance.
Chis, don't you dare go there!

On topic, I agree with 40:60.
Upon further playing, I don't think DK's a disadvantage at all now, lol.

Top Bottom