• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic DOES NOT suck!!!

StyleZ1

Smash Rookie
I regularly play with Sonic and I feel he's good if you sit back a lot getting hits here and there slowly building the opponents %.

But if a map like New Pork City comes up with no long flat surfaces your ****ed..

Tenki

Smash Hero
Then there's the vice versa: You end up kicking the living crap out of someone using Sonic then they rant, "BULL$%&#, SONIC IS TOO GOOD!" XD

Trying to explain what is wrong with him doesn't work, once they lock themselves into a though that Sonic is too good, they think he's god tier.

MINDGAMES PERHAPS!? o_O
I won't disclose the chat contents here, but I... think I just pulled that off on someone.

;___; I got a lucky game where he tried Snake and I 3stocked him, the last kill being a "textbook" B-air-until-he-recovers-near-the-stage-then-grab-the-cypher kill.

He was saying that Sonic was too cheap and is top tier, partly because I got a ton of BS kills that took away stocks in like 15-50 seconds and pulled comebacks whenever he had a move that gave him landing lag.

Your first mistake was playing on Hyrule Temple.
Your second mistake was playing Hyrule Temple on wifi.

R.O.B. has a similar effect on Sonic as Snake, except less horizontal knockback. His Gyro can shut off your ground game unless you grab it, and you'll probably run into R.O.B.'s dash attack or laser trying to do so. Also, his ****ing sidestep->dsmash is ********. That and his Nair makes it a pretty weird matchup.
iono, but I found that most good ROBs will throw a Gyro out as bait then do some crazy crap to punish your dash attack or whatever. Screw the gyro and go for ROB lol.

But if a map like New Pork City comes up with no long flat surfaces your ****ed..

No really, there's a video somewhere where someone was trying to fight Sonic in New Pork City, and at one point, the Sonic just kept running and spamming the taunt.

It lasted over 5 minutes, and eventually the other guy suicided all 3 stocks

Oh those silly trap cards.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
did u guys ever consider how good sonic is at baking cakes? not to mention fast. He can bake about 10 cakes for each opponent before they can take one step.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I have a problem:(
....I jus finished battling a R.O.B. online, and I thought it would be an easy match.But I was wrong, I got torn up...we were fighting on Hyrule Temple and there was nowhere to run around,not enough flat surfaces...its big but it not as easy to fight on with Sonic like FD or Smashville.
I always have trouble on stages that i cant run around easily...how do I deal with that?...and Is Sonic supposed to have trouble with R.O.B.? He seemed to counter everything.
Play on smaller stage.
ASC.
Abuse fair.
Lazor > appsoluterly everything.
Bait out slower aerials then punish

FrostByte

Smash Lord
I wonder if the shuffle crouch works against ROB. Too many mindgames.
I also wonder what's for dinner.

Spindash is Sonic's best approach on ROB IMO. For it's Shield cancel/spinshot mixups. I'm guessing frames won't go through Gyro and ROB's attack.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I wonder if the shuffle crouch works against ROB. Too many mindgames.
I also wonder what's for dinner.

Spindash is Sonic's best approach on ROB IMO. For it's Shield cancel/spinshot mixups. I'm guessing frames won't go through Gyro and ROB's attack.
It'd probably help a bit, but ROB's like to aim their lasers downwards and bounce them off the floor anyway so meh.
Laser also ruins all approaches, even spinshots can be shot down if ROB angles his laser upwards.
Other than ruining Sonic's approach game, the main thing is that ROB's got Sonic's biggest weakness covered. Sonic's range is poor while ROB's is really very good.
You can't approach ROB from the front in the air or from above either because his Uair comes out fast and Fair is spammable to hell for him.
Sonic can't kill. ROB kinda takes advantage of that by being heavy and being pretty stubborn about dying. You're gonna have to be waiting til like 150% til you can kill him by standard means. Fortunately, ROB's really slow moving in the air and while he's recovering you can just do what you can to keep him away, his big size kinda helps with this. Be careful Uairing off the stage though, ROB's got a powerful spike on him >.<
Basically this is the only thing keeping the match up from being totally one sided. It's not a nice match up.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
It'd probably help a bit, but ROB's like to aim their lasers downwards and bounce them off the floor anyway so meh.
Laser also ruins all approaches, even spinshots can be shot down if ROB angles his laser upwards.
Other than ruining Sonic's approach game, the main thing is that ROB's got Sonic's biggest weakness covered. Sonic's range is poor while ROB's is really very good.
You can't approach ROB from the front in the air or from above either because his Uair comes out fast and Fair is spammable to hell for him.
Sonic can't kill. ROB kinda takes advantage of that by being heavy and being pretty stubborn about dying. You're gonna have to be waiting til like 150% til you can kill him by standard means. Fortunately, ROB's really slow moving in the air and while he's recovering you can just do what you can to keep him away, his big size kinda helps with this. Be careful Uairing off the stage though, ROB's got a powerful spike on him >.<
Basically this is the only thing keeping the match up from being totally one sided. It's not a nice match up.
Most ROBs won't aim their Laser upwards when they see you charging a spindash. That's why I called it a mixup. The downward angling is annoying though.

Sonic can approach from underneath with hardly any risk though. Once you understand ROB's nair it's not much of a problem.

ROB is pretty big so Sonic doesn't have a hard time hitting once he's inside. IMO, ROB also has trouble KOing Sonic in the same sense as DDD. Aside from Nair (which is pretty easy to spot), he doesn't have many accessible kill moves and can't really fair gimp due to Sonic's recovery..

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I wouldn't feel that safe approaching ROB from underneath, his Dair is a horrible spike, and it's not that slow either. Go from underneath while above the stage, but I wouldn't really wanna risk doing it off stage.
That vid shows exactly how to fight ROB, just get him into the air ASAP then beat him around.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
memphis is the only good sonic
ROFL

dudes, we should totally make a sonic mainer tier list!

also, do you guys have any advice against marth?
i think theres going to be a really good one at my next biweekly, and right now i suck against him

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
heres my first attempt:

Top tier
Anthinus
Tenki

High Tier
Twinkle
K.I.D.
Orochi

Mid tier
Memphis
Umby
Shadow Link
Frost
Ice

Low tier
lil cj

Sux tier
Lucky
Izzy

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Sonic vs Marth is a crappy matchup.

You can DI into the downward dancing blade and spring him. Other variations will connect the majority of the time.

If you see Marth use a SH aerial, chase him down and Fair/Uair him from underneath or bair from behind if you can.

SDR (alone) is good in this matchup. Don't always JC and go for the combo because Marth can catch you if you mess up.

You ASC opportunities come after you shield an upward dancing blade, close Fsmash or after a SHfair (you will have to fulljump though). SHuairs out of shield should be able to punish some of his quicker attacks.

Edgeguard with fairs, bairs and Spring. If Marth tries to hit you after you Dthrow him near the edge, you can fulljump backwards and dair him.

In general, don't get too greedy. Trying to use follow up attacks without perfect spacing will mean you get swatted away the majority of the time.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Yes
and this ZSS also tried to grab alot too.
I kinda found a pattern, she kept using that down smash combo and i picked up on that as well.
Okay, don't base your knowledge of ZSS on someone that uses a lot of grabs and Fsmashes. Good ZSSes are wary of grabbing overmuch and they never Fsmash except charged ones after dsmashes next to the edge at over 120%. If you don't believe me, go to the subforum and look for the "treatise on why Fsmash sucks."

To tell you the truth, Tenki and the ZSS mains have already had it out over who has the advantage and that match-up, and the consensus was that the match-up is all about who can get under whom first. Neither character has a definitive advantage.

K.I.D.:
There were a bunch of Metroid 4-komas that were released, I believe in some gaming magazine at the same time that Fusion was released, I believe. My avatar is from the title page for them. All of those things are too cute for words.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Sonic tire list exits

Top tier
__X__
Anthinus

High Tier
TwinkleToes
da K.I.D.
SonicOrochi
KirbyandSonicRock14

Mid tier
Memphis
Umby
Shadowlink84
Frostbyte
IceDX
lil cj

Low tier
Tenki

Michelin tire
LuCky
InterimOfZeal
darkNES
Boxob

--------------------
fixed.

Tenki misses too much and is a wifi nawb. Low tier trash.

Tenshi-kun

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-5951-1874
ROB is indeed a hard matchup.

I find Marth simple, probably because every effing azn friend I have plays him. Jeebus dude. I pretty much know Marf up, down, diagonal, and pie.

Browny

Smash Hater
same, but that probably because every marth is play is such a nub lol. i just stant in front of them, outside fsmash range. sure enough they still think this is melee and just cstick fsmash. Grab + punish.

repeat until win

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
Top tier
__X__
Anthinus

High Tier
TwinkleToes
da K.I.D.
SonicOrochi
KirbyandSonicRock14
IceDX

Mid tier
Memphis
Umby
Shadowlink84
Frostbyte
lil cj

Low tier
Tenki

Michelin tire
LuCky
InterimOfZeal
darkNES
Boxob

--------------------
fixed.

there after i post my vids ull c y.... jej

lil cj

Smash Lord
Ive been having problems with Falco
When i spin dash/charge he uses his reflector/lazer and it stops me before I can hit him
As for Marth, his only move that gets to me is dancing blade other that, its about even.
I havnt really fought a good Marth yet idk...
Hey Sonic mains... anyone want to battle on wifi to train me and teach me more about Sonic:)
Or jus to have some fun.
Heres my brawl code: 0001-2981-8851

Mushroomring

Smash Lord
Top tier
__X__
Anthinus

High Tier
TwinkleToes
da K.I.D.
SonicOrochi
KirbyandSonicRock14

Mid tier
Memphis
Umby
Shadowlink84
Frostbyte
IceDX
lil cj

Low tier
Tenki

Michelin tire
LuCky
InterimOfZeal
darkNES
Boxob

--------------------
fixed.

Where's the bottom tier at? That's where Im supposed to be!

Tenshi-kun

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-5951-1874
Ive been having problems with Falco
When i spin dash/charge he uses his reflector/lazer and it stops me before I can hit him
As for Marth, his only move that gets to me is dancing blade other that, its about even.
I havnt really fought a good Marth yet idk...
Hey Sonic mains... anyone want to battle on wifi to train me and teach me more about Sonic:)
Or jus to have some fun.
Heres my brawl code: 0001-2981-8851
I'm down. I'm on right now playing with some friends. My friend code's 3866-8977-8703.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Tenki,

I am angry
although I have no substantial proof, I AM ONE OF THE BEST SONICS. lol
I guess.....

A kid at mass madness (a tournement) was like "omg, memphis?! the EC sonic?!"

i lolled

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
I thought Lucky and that other TX Sonic won tournaments? Why are they sux tier?

Never heard of any other Sonic winnin' tourneys before albeit never cared enough about Sonic to inquire either. @_@

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. i won a tourney with sonic 2 saturdays ago in Rochester New York

2. @ mushroomring, you cant be t worst at anything, you have the beyblade kid in your sig (im actually being serious, i loved that show)

3. Lucky, Box, and izzy, are in sux tier, cus they complain too much about brawl and they only play the game b/c sonic is in it, and because its just a running joke to say lucky and izzy suck.

4. you are right, we forgot to put mr. 3000 in our tier list

5. tenki stop hating on yourself, your at least in the saem tier with me proly not as high as me, lol, but in the same level.

6. Memphis, how can you be that good, losing 20$ money matches, and hating on sonic almost as much as Izzy does? and why the hell did this dude just randomly pop in for that lil quip?
lolweird

7. tenki, ive never seen him. Is KASR really that good?

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
1. i won a tourney with sonic 2 saturdays ago in Rochester New York

2. @ mushroomring, you cant be t worst at anything, you have the beyblade kid in your sig (im actually being serious, i loved that show)

3. Lucky, Box, and izzy, are in sux tier, cus they complain too much about brawl and they only play the game b/c sonic is in it, and because its just a running joke to say lucky and izzy suck.

4. you are right, we forgot to put mr. 3000 in our tier list

5. tenki stop hating on yourself, your at least in the saem tier with me proly not as high as me, lol, but in the same level.

6. Memphis, how can you be that good, losing 20$ money matches, and hating on sonic almost as much as Izzy does? and why the hell did this dude just randomly pop in for that lil quip?
lolweird

7. tenki, ive never seen him. Is KASR really that good?
Ah, well, my mistake.

Congrats to you then. ^_^

And yah, Mr.3000 was his name. Slipped my mind.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
And with that, i give you the most official sonic mainer tier list thus far

Top tier
Anthinus
__X__

High Tier
da K.I.D.
Ophelia
TwinkleToes
SonicOrochi
Tenki
KirbyandSonicRock14

Mid tier
Mr. 3000 (he would be high tier, but i heard he switched mains)
dj brownie
Memphis
Umby
Shadowlink84
Frostbyte
IceDX

Unknown but proly still not as good as K.I.D. tier:
mushroomring
tenshi-kun

Low tier
lil cj

Michelin tire
LuCky
InterimOfZeal
darkNES
Boxob

--------------------
fixed.

Izzy/lucky/boxob misses too much and is a wifi nawb. Low tier trash.
even moar fixed

Top Bottom