• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic DOES NOT suck!!!

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Lol, really? I would have thought that thread would be two sentences:
1) drop it on their noggin when they're recovering
2) drop it on their noggin when they're chasing you from below

:D

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Yeah i know what u mean about being the only Sonic at tourneys, it just feels great when the guy ur playing agaist is like: Sonic?? and then some guy near there says : that Sonic Is Good
best feeling in the world right there

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
@

for all intents and purposes, "forward" would be the direction you're facing, and "back/backward" refers to the direction you're coming from.

At the correct % (this is for you to experiment with and learn placements for):
- You jump, use spring, placing it to land on your opponent's back (the side facing where you're starting). Then you use an auto-cancel D-air.
- The spring hits them and knocks them down. At the same time, you're aiming the D-air to land riiight behind their landing spot.
- If they don't tech the fall, begin jab lock.

On a similar note, you can pull off a jab lock setup with D-tilt.

...have fun with that.

Thanks Tenki ill try it out ...... i already knew about the down tilt jab lock by the way

R4ZE

Smash Ace
sonic has pretty obvious flaws, so u have to play around them and avoid them... for example. lack of reach, and power.. but he also has rediculous speed... so u just have to avoid delay, and meeting attacks head on.... its not that ahrd people... god.... i am just repeating myself... no1 gets it. w/e

*last post that sonic is good, just needs to be played properly*

**** u all im out . =)

Smash-Master9009

Smash Journeyman
no sonic is at the bottom of the orgy he is everyones *****, he is the worst character in the game and i'd like to see anyone on these boards beat me with sonic. its just ridiculous....he blows.

PhoenixoKaZe

Smash Ace
NNID
Toffykun
no sonic is at the bottom of the orgy he is everyones *****, he is the worst character in the game and i'd like to see anyone on these boards beat me with sonic. its just ridiculous....he blows.

Wanna go?? ^^ lol j/k he`s not the worst nor the best. It`s how u use him ^^

Borda

Smash Rookie
He is easily one of the weakest in the game, his speed is awsome though. He isnt one of the worst character in brawl like some people are trying to say. His speed is awesome and if sonic is used right he can be one of the best.
Those who think sonic is one of the worst i bet havent even taken the time to try get good with him.
Thats all I have to say.

Browny

Smash Hater
Sonic still has 4 tourney wins,

which is equal to
Olimar,

and more wins than
Peach, Ike, Zelda, ZSS, Lucas, Ness, Mario, Luigi, Shiek, Kirby, Bowser, CF, Diddy, Ganon, PT, Samus, Link, Pikachu, Toon Link, Jigglypuff, Ice Climbers and Yoshi

sure he may suck, when compared to MK and Snake, but lots of other characters get ***** all the same. Sonic is obviously doing something right

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
thank god, someone knows what they are talking about.

and it WOULD take a lucario player to come in here and straighten things out.

he is not a horrible character. IMHO hes better than peach, ike, zelda, mario, shiek, bowser, CF, ganon, Samus, Link, JP and yoshi, that alone soundly take him out of bottom tier, but keep thinking he suks if you want, ill just keep winning.

btw, @ memphis and umby go by the jiggly boards sometime...
dont turn into bowyer

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
You realise everyone says that Sonic's the worst in the game just for hate of the character/having not played one that's at least competant.
I don't see why Sonic's so bad anymore, there are a lot of characters with a lot less going for them.
Sure he IS bad, but he's got some things going for him at least, decent recovery, good pressuring game etc.

4U2NV

Smash Rookie
Sonic definitely doesn’t suck. I fought a guy using sonic a couple of days ago I was also using sonic but the guy was so in my face, fast and accurate he totally schooled me by the end of the match I was just like “wtf just happened!?”

I’m not pro or anything but I’m average at least and he pretty much spanked my sonic hard. Was fun though ;-)

p.s dark illusion hokage.. dude your sig is AWESOME

Tenshi-kun

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-5951-1874
*yawn* Okay. Every character sucks, every character rocks. They all have their flaws, they all have their advantages. Maybe Sonic has more than others, so what? Everyone looked at Jigg as a bad character and then bam! Wall of Pain and Rest and other things that just blew peoples mind and made a very good friend of mine a dedicated Jigg, even to Brawl.

I've been searching for that fun to play style. Fox was great for me, but it was eh. You have to just pretty much repeat the same tactics over and over again. Pokemon Trainer was fun as you got to use Pokemon, but the fatigue and switching kinda got to me. (yes its a major advantage, great thing, whatever, but just not what I was looking for. Pretty close though.) Then along came Sonic. When I figured out how to play him CORRECTLY, holy hell he was FUN! Now I enjoy playing him so much. He has really become my main. Plus, as a kid, I loved Sonic. Favorite childhood character ever. From any show, any cartoon. Whatever. Sonic is my favorite character of all time. And to see him own and win and then watch his little victory thing with the end of level theme is just heartwarming and nostalgic. I love Sonic. Anyone can be great with him if you really want to. He does NOT suck, and is incredibly fun. If you're saying Sonic sucks, then you must have problems with him you can't get over.

kthxbai :]

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Sonic isn't great in theory and data, wich makes him hard to play, wich makes him not one of the best ones. Everyone knows this, and no one can deny this. ain't saying he's bottom tier, but he isn't all that high on the id tier.

Tenshi-kun

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-5951-1874
Lawl. Tiers are just. Eh. Its all opinionated. Its all preference. Maybe the flaws that Sonic has are just what a person needs to play Brawl. Who knows? He works for me.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
What makes Sonic a not so good character is his priority issues. He has by far, one of the worst priorities for attacks in the game. Something simple as a jab can cancel out Sonic's best attack >_>

Although...I have beaten a Game and Watch with Sonic by NOT using his speed. More like "sit back and just tilt him to death" XD

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i was thinking about getting into that style a little bit more
it definitely throws ppl off, especilally since its sonic

and as for him as a character, there no reason why he cant beat any other char., except maybe wario, cause bite is just too good. but the majority of this game is based on 1 on 1 matches. and in a 1v1 situation, sonic can hold his own against any character.

the tier list are basically a list of who has the most favorable matches, combined with tourney results.

sonic for the most part is doing well in tourneys, considering the stageringly small number of ppl that play him, and he has his share of good matches, especially against some good characters D3, DK, IMO even against falco.

But he also has his share of bad matchups, and disadvantages

all in all i would put him right in the middle of the pack because on paper he is pretty bad, but with all the new techs and mindgames that we (mostly tenki) have come up with, its enough to put him above a lot of characters. so i would put him in middle of middle tier. his characteristics as a character are low tier and his mindgames and ATs are high tier. so that works out just fine for me

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yes
and this ZSS also tried to grab alot too.
I kinda found a pattern, she kept using that down smash combo and i picked up on that as well.
yeah that's kinda pathetic of the ZSS player.

ph00t mains ZSS, so I think I can understand where he's coming from lol.

It's like if I were to say "lol Sonic is so weak to Ganondorf. all u have to do is sh D-air and jab and u stop all his approaches"

when... "all his approaches" only takes into account spindashes and running...lol

reply to next:
no i'm not.

I just 'discovered'/published alot of information on how the moves work.

I'm far too inaccurate/predictable and lack too much matchup knowledge and player-reading ability to be up there

lil cj

Smash Lord
yeah that's kinda pathetic of the ZSS player.

ph00t mains ZSS, so I think I can understand where he's coming from lol.

It's like if I were to say "lol Sonic is so weak to Ganondorf. all u have to do is sh D-air and jab and u stop all his approaches"

when... "all his approaches" only takes into account spindashes and running...lol

That is so true...lol
Hey Tenki, I heard u were one of the best Sonic players:)
Its an honor.
As u can see Im a Sonic noob and need all the help I can get...lol
and when i saw that everyone says sonic sucks, I just had to know how and why
But we will get to the bottom of this eventually...lol

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
Sonic doesn't suck...

I used to think the same thing before this guy with a beard showed up and ***** my face off with an U-tilt that ate through my fair.

Tenshi-kun

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-5951-1874
What makes Sonic a not so good character is his priority issues. He has by far, one of the worst priorities for attacks in the game. Something simple as a jab can cancel out Sonic's best attack >_>

Although...I have beaten a Game and Watch with Sonic by NOT using his speed. More like "sit back and just tilt him to death" XD
Haha. Yeah, thats how I play my friend's Jigg. He likes to camp the edge and wait for me. I'm all like "I can wait all day." We had a 12 minute match the other day. It was epic. xD

Luxferre

Smash Apprentice
Ive noticed that everyone is saying that Sonic sucks.
That is completely false

Ive just started using him, and really enjoy his play style, he is very fun to play
In most of the battles Ive played online with friends, I win mostly all of them mostly hitting and running.My opponents underestimate Sonic for some reason.

I beat someone who used an Ike(easy match up, he is way too slow to fight Sonic) and I even beat someone's Zero Suit Samus(that one was easy too, if her attacks miss she can be easily punished).

So just b/c he has no good KO moves(neither does Sheik and shes deadly) doesnt mean he is low tier or that he sucks.

U just got to play him differently than you would some other character.
one word...SPEED is all you need(no rhyme intended)

These r words of a Sonic noob...lol

Any other Sonic mains/pros feel this way too
Can we discuss this:)
Just because people say he's low tier, it doesn't mean he sucks.
I play Samus and most call her "bottom tier" and I don't care.
I rather play a character thats called bottom tier that I like a playing as playing a top tier character just because people say the characters "top".
To be honest, I only play her because of the ultra smash, because I want ZSS.
And because Samus is better in SD´s and in making damage by air combos.
But I still like her and can kick some as with her.
But if I play against someone here thats my smash level, I play with no Item and with ZSS from the start, because with samus I mostly lose(like against cba^'s zelda) but with ZSS I can deal with his zelda.
My point is that you shouldn't care about the stuff people say always.
If you like Sonic, stick with him.
And if someone says again that he sucks, ask for a match and how him what sonic's got in him. ;)

lil cj

Smash Lord
Just because people say he's low tier, it doesn't mean he sucks.
I play Samus and most call her "bottom tier" and I don't care.
I rather play a character thats called bottom tier that I like a playing as playing a top tier character just because people say the characters "top".
To be honest, I only play her because of the ultra smash, because I want ZSS.
And because Samus is better in SD´s and in making damage by air combos.
But I still like her and can kick some as with her.
But if I play against someone here thats my smash level, I play with no Item and with ZSS from the start, because with samus I mostly lose(like against cba^'s zelda) but with ZSS I can deal with his zelda.
My point is that you shouldn't care about the stuff people say always.
If you like Sonic, stick with him.
And if someone says again that he sucks, ask for a match and how him what sonic's got in him. ;)
Your right

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Then there's the vice versa: You end up kicking the living crap out of someone using Sonic then they rant, "BULL$%&#, SONIC IS TOO GOOD!" XD

Trying to explain what is wrong with him doesn't work, once they lock themselves into a though that Sonic is too good, they think he's god tier.

MINDGAMES PERHAPS!? o_O

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Then there's the vice versa: You end up kicking the living crap out of someone using Sonic then they rant, "BULL$%&#, SONIC IS TOO GOOD!" XD

Trying to explain what is wrong with him doesn't work, once they lock themselves into a though that Sonic is too good, they think he's god tier.

MINDGAMES PERHAPS!? o_O
Here's the thing:
what Sonic is good at, he's REALLY good at.
what Sonic is bad at, he's REALLY bad at.
At the surface, Sonic seems like crap. But Sonic's a beast. A tier list can't tell me otherwise.

A key way to play with Sonic is to fight without using any smash attacks (expect the very useful hyphen smash) until your opponent's damage gets to about 150%. Then suddenly whiff out a fsmash or a dsmash and watch your opponent die. If Sonic has no kill moves, then fight like he has no kill moves. Just keep on racking damage, cause eventually, one of them aerials are GONNA KO. That's when you can say, "YOU'RE TOO SLOW!"

I know that was corny, but who cares....

lil cj

Smash Lord
I have a problem:(
....I jus finished battling a R.O.B. online, and I thought it would be an easy match.But I was wrong, I got torn up...we were fighting on Hyrule Temple and there was nowhere to run around,not enough flat surfaces...its big but it not as easy to fight on with Sonic like FD or Smashville.
I always have trouble on stages that i cant run around easily...how do I deal with that?...and Is Sonic supposed to have trouble with R.O.B.? He seemed to counter everything.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Here's the thing:
what Sonic is good at, he's REALLY good at.
what Sonic is bad at, he's REALLY bad at.
At the surface, Sonic seems like crap. But Sonic's a beast. A tier list can't tell me otherwise.

A key way to play with Sonic is to fight without using any smash attacks (expect the very useful hyphen smash) until your opponent's damage gets to about 150%. Then suddenly whiff out a fsmash or a dsmash and watch your opponent die. If Sonic has no kill moves, then fight like he has no kill moves. Just keep on racking damage, cause eventually, one of them aerials are GONNA KO. That's when you can say, "YOU'RE TOO SLOW!"

I know that was corny, but who cares....
Good analysis:)
Nice Sonic card

Umby

Smash Master
I have a problem:(
....I jus finished battling a R.O.B. online, and I thought it would be an easy match.But I was wrong, I got torn up...we were fighting on Hyrule Temple and there was nowhere to run around,not enough flat surfaces...its big but it not as easy to fight on with Sonic like FD or Smashville.
I always have trouble on stages that i cant run around easily...how do I deal with that?...and Is Sonic supposed to have trouble with R.O.B.? He seemed to counter everything.
Your first mistake was playing on Hyrule Temple.
Your second mistake was playing Hyrule Temple on wifi.

R.O.B. has a similar effect on Sonic as Snake, except less horizontal knockback. His Gyro can shut off your ground game unless you grab it, and you'll probably run into R.O.B.'s dash attack or laser trying to do so. Also, his ****ing sidestep->dsmash is ********. That and his Nair makes it a pretty weird matchup.

Top Bottom