• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some rules I followed to get better, by LunInSpectra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sora Keyblade Master

Smash Journeyman
Beating him once will mean absolutely nothing. You have to win the entire set to gain respect.

Taking 1 or 2 stocks of him in games means nothing. You have to win the set, plain and simple.

Nobody expects you to get 4 stocked like you keep talking about. Everyone expects you to lose the set. I think it's important to keep this into perspective.

And alright $70 it is your rules.

Is it ok that we come tomorrow or what? We'd preferably like an answer sometime today; I could not tell from your post if tomorrow was a good day.

Frankly speaking, we don't really care if your team partner is present or not. The main stage match involves only you.

Anyways reply back if tomorrow is an acceptable day for us to drive up to Waco to your place.
No i ment like one of the 5 rounds we played, but if that was you mean by set. yea thats what i was talking about.

So first set determines wager, right ? or is it the winner of the 3 of 5 rounds that determines it ?

kay, And Lets do next week. Aweek from now, that should give you all time for the cam, and i should have all i need too

dcx1287

Smash Lord
No i ment like one of the 5 rounds we played, but if that was you mean by set. yea thats what i was talking about.

So first set determines wager, right ? or is it the winner of the 3 of 5 rounds that determines it ?

kay, And Lets do next week. Aweek from now, that should give you all time for the cam, and i should have all i need too
I'm not certain if we're on the same page here; I'll give you some quick definitions.

A single game is defined as one 4 stock match.

A set is defined as a best of 5 game series. In a "best 3 of 5 set", a maximum of 5 games may be played. The first person to reach 3 game wins wins the set and the money.

Let's say you win a single game but you still lose the set 1-3 (i.e. you win only one game and lose 3 games, hence you lose the set).

That single "1" game win means nothing and is not something that one would brag about. The only thing that matters is set outcomes.

It's a bit flexible - if you were to win 2 games and all of the matches were very close (1 stock), but you still lose the set, you would undoubtedly get some credit, even though you would lose the money match and the overall wager.

I'm going to assume that your definition of "round" equals my definition of "game." If this is the case, then only the winner of the 3 of 5 rounds wins the wager. The first to win 3 rounds, or "games," wins the cash.

EDIT:

Next week really is not going to work; I believe many of us have midterm exams to worry about.

We don't need time for the camera, we already have access to one. The question is, are you available to play smash in the afternoon around 2 PM tomorrow?

Because we are the ones driving, I feel our schedule takes priority over whether your friend can make it or not. My friends have no interest in playing your friend; the wager is with you.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
A good fighter knows his strengths and his weaknesses, but a great fighter will find away around them. So if theres only one thing that im really pushing for, its this. I wish to inculde all levels playable with your choice of 1 ban.
Is this how your local tournaments work? Because I mean, if you really wanna open up all the stages to a Fox player, I guess that's cool, but it's really just nails in the coffin and it may lead to a victory that has nothing to do with skill at all.

As for as stage selection goes: we set it to turns. that would make this more fair in arrangement.
Tell that to Luigi on Flatzone. Or Nana on Poké Floats.

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
omg I'm peeing in my pants I can' wait to see the results (as if I don't know what they are gonna be), but yah the vids. Make sure to get sora on camera crying for his mom =D.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
Sora is going to flake out last minute and cause FLT a **** load of trouble finding him.

Then sora will come on apoligizing over how it wasn't his fault and if they can try a different day.

That's my guess at least. It's the way things go in the circle of noobs.

dcx1287

Smash Lord
I had missed this part:

And as of now i dont have the munny yet. So i really cant do it tomorrow.
If that is the case then I suppose a later day is the only viable choice. I will talk it over with the others to figure if next saturday or the following saturday works best, though today would've been the perfect time to come down.

There is still time; waco is not too far away. If you can manage to get the money and host us today that would be great. Reply back if this works.

ashestoashes500

Smash Cadet
All in good fun. Everything is mental. you can either go over and over so everything is practiced. Or...... you can wing it & just embrace what comes at you. Anyone going october 13-15 to the mlgpro.com tourny =P. i be there awaiting you.

Aiser

Smash Lord
He said he needed longer to get the money, who has 70 dollars laying around? lol

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Hugo, did you know that our area codes (817 & 818) are only one digit apart? I think it's a sign.

Oh, and professional gaming habits. Yeah.

Brookman

Smash Hero
-.- man, i was just gone over the weekend. I do have a life y'know.

NO JOHNS. lol, everyone has a life outside of this game, with the exception of m2k probably, but we all just love him that much more because he's amazing for that.

Sora Keyblade Master

Smash Journeyman
Sorry these are back to back, nothing to do at work :p.

Sora, be ready for my two cents, for those epic little pennies are wavedashing to a forum near you!

D00d, I just really don't know what to say. I... applaud your confidence, and abrasive arrogance, but it just seems silly to post a lot of what you have. In the end this whole debate flamed from the fact that you consider yourself to be great, which is fine, a person who only meets dumb blondes will be under the impression that all blondes are dumb. All that aside, I don't really care about that, no matter what is said on either side nothing will make any differance until a match is fought. I'm obsessed with quoting Bruce Lee, so here comes another: "Never predict or assume the outcome of a fight, because it has not been fought". Simple. Direct. To the point. It remains true in Smash. Again, don't care, I just found it amusing how much arguing has ocurred based on things neither side can know, though I'm fairly sure these lads here ARE as good as purported and that the likely outcome is their victory, but it hasn't occurred yet so I reserve official judgment.

Dreadnaught out.
Dood, This is my favorite two cents. I like what you said.

Is this how your local tournaments work? Because I mean, if you really wanna open up all the stages to a Fox player, I guess that's cool, but it's really just nails in the coffin and it may lead to a victory that has nothing to do with skill at all.

Tell that to Luigi on Flatzone. Or Nana on Poké Floats.
True.... but those levels he listed specificly are even better for a fox player. things suchs as useing what you all call the "shine move" to knock your opponet away while there recovering. Are more effective on stages like those, Dreamland,Final destination,fountain of dreams, ect. Than they would be on pokefloats,terimina bay,ect. And thats something I picked up from a local tourny. If i didnt know any better i would say your trying to shake my decesion so that i would agree to his level of choices. I apperchiate your advice, but save it for someone who needs it.

Sora is going to flake out last minute and cause FLT a **** load of trouble finding him.

Then sora will come on apoligizing over how it wasn't his fault and if they can try a different day.

That's my guess at least. It's the way things go in the circle of noobs.
What the hell are you talking about ? I clearly said i didnt have the money. Man i swear, dont act as if you know me, and dont assume **** unless you know it. Die-hard fans think they know everything. why would i back down, when i already gave him the adress ? Not to mention i said next saturday.

I had missed this part:

If that is the case then I suppose a later day is the only viable choice. I will talk it over with the others to figure if next saturday or the following saturday works best, though today would've been the perfect time to come down.

There is still time; waco is not too far away. If you can manage to get the money and host us today that would be great. Reply back if this works.
Sorry man, I wanted to play you guys just as much as you all wanted to play me. Im looking forward to it. If you guys cant do it next saturday the 30th ( we were going to "toysrus" that saturday anyway to pick up mew ) then the first saturday of october would be perfect for us.

Also if theres anyone else who wants to get in on it, Feel free to. The more the better. Also the fest is going to be held at a bigger and more smoother location. I dont have the adress now but ill post it tomorrow. or Rymone can do it once he comes online. Also if anyone else does want to come if you can. bring a teamate. Teams battles are the best.

he *****-ed out...

lets take bets on it?
Dude, Whatever -.-

All in good fun. Everything is mental. you can either go over and over so everything is practiced. Or...... you can wing it & just embrace what comes at you. Anyone going october 13-15 to the mlgpro.com tourny =P. i be there awaiting you.
Where is that located is it anywhere in texas ?

dcx1287

Smash Lord
Sora Keyblade Master you don't have to use exactly the rules stated by fastliketree; however, you must use the rules that comply with MLG standards as indicated on www.mlgpro.com

These are the official rules used for tournaments that give away thousands of dollars in prize money.

MLG Rules are standard, and are described as follows:

Advanced Slob Picks: After the first match, the loser says the stage out loud, the winner then picks their character, and the loser picks his/her character after that.

Banned Stages: It doesn’t matter what tournaments you’re at, Hyrule Temple and Yoshi 64 should always be BANNED. Aside from that, here is a list (MLG) of banned stages.

•Fourside
•Yoshi 64
•Brinstar Depths
•Termina Bay
•Hyrule Temple
•Flat Zone
•Icicle Mountain
•Big Blue
•Mushroom: Kingdom I
•Venom
•Yoshi's Island

Stages - Random Select: These stages are used at the start of certain matches when a stage cannot be agreed upon by the participants and advanced slob picks are not yet applicable.

•Final Destination
•Battlefield
•Yoshi's Story
•Fountain of Dreams
•Dream Land
•Pokémon Stadium

Stages - Counterpicking: These stages are ones not included in the random select, but may still be chosen for counterpicking purposes. Random select stages are also available for counterpicking.

True.... but those levels he listed specificly are even better for a fox player. things suchs as useing what you all call the "shine move" to knock your opponet away while there recovering. Are more effective on stages like those, Dreamland,Final destination,fountain of dreams, ect. Than they would be on pokefloats,terimina bay,ect. And thats something I picked up from a local tourny.
Termina Bay is a banned stage according to nationally renowned MLG rules, as indicated above.

Anyways, these are the rules that the wager will be played under. There is basically no arguing with it because these are the official rules recognized by Major League Gaming, the authority on SSBM tournaments in the U.S.

Sora Keyblade Master

Smash Journeyman
Sora Keyblade Master you don't have to use exactly the rules stated by fastliketree; however, you must use the rules that comply with MLG standards as indicated on www.mlgpro.com

These are the official rules used for tournaments that give away thousands of dollars in prize money.

MLG Rules are standard, and are described as follows:

Advanced Slob Picks: After the first match, the loser says the stage out loud, the winner then picks their character, and the loser picks his/her character after that.

Banned Stages: It doesn’t matter what tournaments you’re at, Hyrule Temple and Yoshi 64 should always be BANNED. Aside from that, here is a list (MLG) of banned stages.

•Fourside
•Yoshi 64
•Brinstar Depths
•Termina Bay
•Hyrule Temple
•Flat Zone
•Icicle Mountain
•Big Blue
•Mushroom: Kingdom I
•Venom
•Yoshi's Island

Stages - Random Select: These stages are used at the start of certain matches when a stage cannot be agreed upon by the participants and advanced slob picks are not yet applicable.

•Final Destination
•Battlefield
•Yoshi's Story
•Fountain of Dreams
•Dream Land
•Pokémon Stadium

Stages - Counterpicking: These stages are ones not included in the random select, but may still be chosen for counterpicking purposes. Random select stages are also available for counterpicking.

Termina Bay is a banned stage according to nationally renowned MLG rules, as indicated above.

Anyways, these are the rules that the wager will be played under. There is basically no arguing with it because these are the official rules recognized by Major League Gaming, the authority on SSBM tournaments in the U.S.
Dude, Whatever. Im happy you shot the official rules at me and stuff. and you gave a great number of reasons why we "should" do that.

But You seem to be forgetting something, Personally I thanks you. For when i play at the Major League Gaming ill remember those rules. But
1: this isnt a Major League Gaming match, and
2: this isnt a tournament.

So those rules will not apply to us. So theres no need for us to go by them. This is a simple one on one munny match. everything between me and tree have been agreed to already. Why do you all keep inputting on this. Are you like his manager are something ? If you guys need all this for a simple street battle. You must'nt be as great as you previously thought.

But if you all wanna do this, Then all levels are playable bottom line. And if you do wanna play. Then I urrgently suggest "You get your game on " Since you Obviously seem not confident in your abilitys as previously stated. You guys best start training on them ban stages.

dcx1287

Smash Lord
So those rules will not apply to us. So theres no need for us to go by them. This is a simple one on one munny match. everything between me and tree have been agreed to already. Why you do all keep inputting on this. Are you like his manager are something ? If you guys need all this for a simple street battle. You must'nt be as great as you previously thought.

But if you all wanna do this, Then all levels are playable bottom line. And if you do wanna play. Then I urrgently suggest "You get your game on " Since you Obviously seem not confident in your abilitys as previously stated. You guys best start training on them ban stages.
I think it's foolish that you simply assume that we need these "official" rules as a crutch of some sort, and that we're unable to play on other levels.

If you honestly think we're not as confident in our abilities as we initially were simply due to the fact that we are demanding official MLG rules, why not test this theory out by increasing the wager to $100?

My friend is "scared" to play on other stages; let's see if you're confident enough to support this assumption of yours by increasing the wager.

All stages is fine. Do you now want to wager $100 instead of $70? After all, my friend is "scared" to play on all stages. This should be an easy call for you.

FASTLIKETREE

Smash Apprentice
Sora if those levels I listed give an advantage to fox players how come fox players never win MLG tournaments? Rarely will a fox player even finish top 5. The reason those levels are played is because they have the fewest stage hazards not because fox's shine spike is more effective.

100 dollars plz =).

Sora Keyblade Master

Smash Journeyman
I think it's foolish that you simply assume that we need these "official" rules as a crutch of some sort, and that we're unable to play on other levels.

If you honestly think we're not as confident in our abilities as we initially were simply due to the fact that we are demanding official MLG rules, why not test this theory out by increasing the wager to $100?

My friend is "scared" to play on other stages; let's see if you're confident enough to support this assumption of yours by increasing the wager.

All stages is fine. Do you now want to wager $100 instead of $70? After all, my friend is "scared" to play on all stages. This should be an easy call for you.
No one said he needed the stages, Or that he was scared, I just think you should let him speak for himself. they way you act and respond as if your team is included. If want to makes this a two on two then im down for that. You and Tree, against Nova and I. trust me i wasnt assumeing anything. i just think if your as good as you have been proclaimed to be then you would be able to play on level. As in pokemon standards.. A "Anything Goes " kindaf match. And if you aware of it or not. you demanding those rules are a crutch, one thats agains us or me. Since i havent played by those rules. Those may infact be the rules and i dont doubt you. but useing them is a little unfair. since we havent played by them,Im good enough to play on any level. i had assumed that you were too.

And im not stupid save your mind games for when we play, what your doing seems like something straight out an tv show, an old fashion one at that. make it seem like you cant play on certain levels, then raise the stakes, and crush us ?

Samochan

Smash Master
Um, sure, tell that to Peach on the bottom half of Hyrule temple. Not only she doesn't die there, but she can also kill any character with ease with her attacks. :/ You just probably want an easy win on Termina Bay or something else as stupid. But you should note that these banned stages can be your misfortune as well when playing smash, like your opponent could just pick Pika and Flatzone on you. Those stages are banned for a reason and surely you would not want to lose 70-100$ just for something like that? But whatever, it's your money match, but if it doesn't work, don't come john here afterwards then.

Btw, you seem to have played too much Kingdom Hearts. It's money, not munny. >_>;

Sora Keyblade Master

Smash Journeyman
Sora if those levels I listed give an advantage to fox players how come fox players never win MLG tournaments? Rarely will a fox player even finish top 5. The reason those levels are played is because they have the fewest stage hazards not because fox's shine spike is more effective.

100 dollars plz =).
Dude, you cant not say that the shine move is not effective on stages like that. thats like saying falcos spike doesnt work well on those kind of levels. those levels would be allround good for Fox, his up+b has best recovery out of anyone in the game. thats another plus. anyway dude i use to be a fox player myself, i know.

Anyway hazards ? Name one hazard on terimina bay, yoshi story or hyrule temple ? why would they all be banned ? im not really asking for a explanation. hmm...... afther his post i gotta go,...... we can pick this back up tomorrow. :embarrass no 100$ Nova allready pitching for the 70$ and im asking my mom for the rest -.-

Samochan

Smash Master
Dude, you cant not say that the shine move is not effective on stages like that. thats like saying falcos spike doesnt work well on those kind of levels. those levels would be allround good for Fox, his up+b has best recovery out of anyone in the game. thats another plus. anyway dude i use to be a fox player myself, i know.

Anyway hazards ? Name one hazard on terimina bay, yoshi story or hyrule temple ? why would they all be banned ? im not really asking for a explanation. hmm...... afther his post i gotta go,...... we can pick this back up tomorrow. :embarrass no 100$ Nova allready pitching for the 70$ and im asking my mom for the rest -.-
Dude, that would be like saying Bowser has an advantage on every stage because he has a good edgeguard. >_> Shinespike is used on the edge and every stage has an edge. Duh! It's even more ineffective on big stages like Dreamland and Final Destination. And no, Fox doesn't have the best recovery in the game. Sure, firefox is long, but it's also easily edgeguarded. :/

And those stages are banned because Fox can camp, laser stuff and run away infinitely so that time runs out. Also on the lower parts of Termina bay, it doesn't take much to stagespike others with almost any attack for an easy KO. On Hyrule temple, characters just don't die, no matter how much damage they take. On Yoshi's Story 64, Fox can camp on the rightmost clouds and spam lasers, then make the cloud disappear when others try to get ot him and firefox to safety while his opponents fall to their doom with no means to recover.

Sora Keyblade Master

Smash Journeyman
Um, sure, tell that to Peach on the bottom half of Hyrule temple. Not only she doesn't die there, but she can also kill any character with ease with her attacks. :/ You just probably want an easy win on Termina Bay or something else as stupid. But you should note that these banned stages can be your misfortune as well when playing smash, like your opponent could just pick Pika and Flatzone on you. Those stages are banned for a reason and surely you would not want to lose 70-100$ just for something like that? But whatever, it's your money match, but if it doesn't work, don't come john here afterwards then.

Btw, you seem to have played too much Kingdom Hearts. It's money, not munny. >_>;
What are you talking about ? I ko peach all the time down there. ( infact i play there all the time, I have never been koed by a peach, that may be one of your perosnal problems with/against peach players, but openly admitting something like that is kinda embrassesing, I have never lost a peach player preiod in my life. but if think you can prove me wrong than by all means for for it )Any advance player can by pass any level trickery, and if you cant its your own personal fault, you shouldnt blame the level, every character have advantages and disadvantages on certains levels. Like i said a good player knows his strentghs and his weaknesses but a great will find away around them ( by around i mean the weaknesses ) You should remember that. But thanks for you input. if you would said something little more intelligent , you would have hit the two cent mark. ill put your penny in the bag for trying tho.

Ill dabate more with you tomrrow... Oh are you a girl or a boy ? im guessing a girl since you hav the samus pictures.

Brookman

Smash Hero
lol fox's recovery is so bad. sora, you should stop posting, cause everything just screams "I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY" your mom is gonna be upset when she finds out you just lost 70$ cause you were being silly lol

Sora Keyblade Master

Smash Journeyman
Dude, that would be like saying Bowser has an advantage on every stage because he has a good edgeguard. >_> Shinespike is used on the edge and every stage has an edge. Duh!
O_ o Did you just say everystage has an edge ? * shakes head some* So stages like the "Onett" you can edgegaurd on ? Hmm you know what.... Imma end it on that one.. imma need you to take sometime to go think about what you just said. Thats like saying all heartless are black. -_-

And brook i ment recovery wise, His up and you can gain the most distants with. And if you dont agree tothat then you dont know what your talking about it. i know what im talking about.... now stop harrasing me and find a life. and stop sending me pms too.. dang -.-

dcx1287

Smash Lord
And im not stupid save your mind games for when we play, what your doing seems like something straight out an tv show, an old fashion one at that. make it seem like you cant play on certain levels, then raise the stakes, and crush us ?
It's clear to me you don't understand what I'm asking.

I said it's ok to play on all levels. Then I said, since you're so certain that my friend is "scared" to play on non-MLG levels, are you confident enough to raise the stakes to $100 playing by your own rules, not by the rules that make it so you "can't play on ceratin levels."

We're not playing by MLG rules. I made that very clear. We're playing by your rules where all stages are allowed.

On a side note, do you want to play 4 stock with an 8 minute time limit? 4 stock with no time limit? 4 stock is very standard and the fact that it's "4" gives no advantage to either party.

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
stackoverflow.com/users/1459556/rey-gonzales
500th post

500th post, baby.

Due to it being #500, I would like to remove my humble attitude and be straight forward.

Sora:

I'm alright with people being confident in what they can do/who they are/what they believe in, and I don't mind if they believe what they know to be the best thing. If you believe red apples taste like pizza I won't stop you. But when you say, "Lunin dosen't eat apples because it tastes like pizza", it will piss.me.off.

Don't call Hugs a die-hard fan for what he says. He knows more about apples & pizza than you.

Honestly, by the way you talk, how you word your subjects, and by the way you bring up subjects, I can tell you haven't been to any competitive tournament. Sora, this is YOU:

Mike P. Talking Smack

And as EVERYBODY has been saying, you are displaying attributes of the typical noob. Don't feel left out, practically everybody was like you.

Sora Keyblade Master said:
Im thinking your style of gamplay is based on, or Includes Edgehoging, and spikeing.
That statement right there tells me you think about TECHNIQUES. You obviously don't have the 7 mental habits in your mind. You SHOULD be worried about what he likes to do most and how you would counter it (even though thinking about that isn't God-tier).

I don't want you to get hurt or anything, but you will lose to FLT. Beating FLT is like hoping for an apple to taste like a pizza. Everybody here wants to prove you wrong, to let you know where you actually do stand in the community. You're actually very lucky/very infortunate to have someone as good as FLT come to your house to play you.

That really is a lot of money man, you're basically playing FLT for $70. You may not believe me now and consider me a die-hard fan or what not, but trust me, I'm not a die-hard fan. I'd quit smash if any event calls for it. I'm ONLY POSTING THIS TO CUSHION YOUR FALL. I don't mind if you hate me or anything, just warning you while I can.

If you want to sustain a confident smashing experience, I say you back out while you can. But if you really can't grasp the concept that you are below average competition in ALL MLG tournies AND your parents are rich, maybe it'd be a good idea for you to play him.

No hard-feelings or anything, just posting what I believe.

-LunInSpectra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom