• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Solo DThrow Chaingrab -- I really need to massively revise this

meepxzero

Smash Master
lol i finally got how to do this effectively... I dont think decaying the grab matters. Its all a matter how you buffer ur dthrow cg. The only bad thing about this is people have the ability to wiggle out because of the careful timing of the inputs to do it properly.

the nice thing about buffering the cg is metaknight cant footstool ur dthrow cg if they know how to do it.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
decaying it only affects the walking CG from my experience, unless thats what you're talking about

decaying it just makes you able to do it a bit longer i think but you dont need it to be stale at all in order to do a few.. i think

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
No, decaying is necessary. If you try Dthrowing a snake at 50% for example with a fresh dthrow you are not going to be anywhere close to grabbing him again. Starting from 0% you can go all the way past 80% though. This is because of decay.

A few characters you will actually miss if you buffer the CG because you will grab before they get in range. You just have to know which characters not to buffer against and at what %'s from experience.

Personally, I can tell you against MK you can walk from 0% till at least 40% and then dash till 65% into a smash. Many characters with fast fall speeds you can do a walking CG on, like the spacies for example. Some characters can break out like ZSS with her down b though.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
you always buffer the dash though
Correct, though you don't have to on some characters. It's the grab that might miss if it's buffered on some characters. Most you can just buffer everything and be fine though.

meepxzero

Smash Master
i dont think the decay is necessary. I can catch snake and other heavy weights if i buffer correctly as long as they are under 60% and they usually cant jump out. Its not really necessary unless nana is trying to catch up to popo again to cg tho, but it helps.

if you buffer correct they shouldnt ever footstool you.

some chars can jump out at 0% regardless because they have a different pummel animation so its impossible to rely on decaying cuz you cant ever land the first dthrow regrab. I know snake has a different one at 0% and it changes at 10% (after the pummel animation changes you can do the buffer regrabs)

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
i dont think the decay is necessary. I can catch snake and other heavy weights if i buffer correctly as long as they are under 60% and they usually cant jump out. Its not really necessary unless nana is trying to catch up to popo again to cg tho, but it helps.

if you buffer correct they shouldnt ever footstool you.

some chars can jump out at 0% regardless because they have a different pummel animation so its impossible to rely on decaying cuz you cant ever land the first dthrow regrab. I know snake has a different one at 0% and it changes at 10% (after the pummel animation changes you can do the buffer regrabs)
Ok well..I tested it and you are wrong. Decay is certainly necessary. Anything else is just you messing up.

Why would you be waiting for Nana if it's the SoPo dthrow CG? o.o
Huh? Who said anything about nana?

Prawn

Smash Master
@ NaCL cuz shes on the other side of the stage and you wanna continue a reg chaingrab.

btw meep i noticed that too, you can only CG snake after he has like 10 percent on him lol

but ive gotten the snakes in my area from 10-ish to 60-ish with just sopo's cg and they were trying to jump and di out. they can drop nades sometimes but you go too fast for them to matter

also at the end you cant fsmash IIRC so i just nair and can semi spike them into a bad position to recover

i almost beat "the most dangerous snake" yesterday in game one and i havent played this game in sooo long outside of a few friendlies and sets at tournaments lol. mehbeh i play moar nao?

Sieguest

Smash Master
.Huh? Who said anything about nana?

Red part

Prawn said:
@ NaCL cuz shes on the other side of the stage and you wanna continue a reg chaingrab.
Oh. I misunderstood what he said then. My bad. x.x

meepxzero

Smash Master
lol hylian i must be doing something different. It works just like the dash grab cg on metaknight. You just gotta make sure you time the inputs perfectly and do it SLOW. The only drawback to it is people can mash out of it because its a slower cg (meaning you can only do the regrab again after u finish ur sliding animation). I know e_alert put a lot of time in what percents it works and stuff, but isnt it kinda void if MOST chars have a different pummel animation at 0% that allows them to jump out every time?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Why does the pummel animation matter when the throwing animation is the same?

If anything it's just because the throw isn't stale yet.

Edit: And when did we start talking about 0%? And what makes you think because you can't regrab at 0% that decay doesn't matter when that only logically further proves the point? You can't start at 50% and go till 80 something you have to start low so the grab is decayed.

meepxzero

Smash Master
nevermind >_> i was under the assumption you cant do the cg unless if they were at 0% which is defenitely not the case. Either im breaking the physics of the game or ur wrong. Decaying plays very little and to be honest it doesnt take long to stale the dthrow. Maybe 3 throws already fully decays it? Obviously if you wanna cg some chars to 80% they have to be low percents.

The initial idea was that they HAD to be at 0% to cg to the percentages that were stated, which is not the case. You can do it beginning at 10% and sometimes even 20%.

I just think most ic players dont know how to buffer the dthrow. The timing is very strict and instead of blaming the percentages being the fault its moreso the execution.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
whatisthisidonteven...

quick points because I cbf formulating a well-written post, but:

- Meep, yes, decay is necessary to get the full range of chaingrab. Also it's not all buffering.
- lolwut it takes 9 reps to fully decay any (non-aerial?) move, including throws.
- Decaying plays a huge part in getting higher percents, especially against characters who cap out ~60 or lower. Good luck chaingrabbing ROB from like even 20% fresh, or half the cast for that matter.
- No, you do not have to start it at 0% (unless they're Jiggs or ZZS or something I think).
- Yes, you CAN regrab ANY character from a 0% dthrow if you want to/are good enough (and the hardest one isn't who you might think, read back through this thread I made a list for Lain at some point on the exact issue).
- Pummeling, wut, who said anything about pummeling? wtfwtf
- And why do you have to wait for the grabslide to end before throwing again? wut
- Little correction to Hylian (although you're mostly right), at any time you must delay the grab, you do not need to buffer the dash (its easier if you do though of course).

Now both of you, stop *****ing, get back in the kitchen and make me a god**** sammich!~
(<3 skypeguys)

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
OMG thank you e_alert lol you just summarized everything I've been saying. I agree about the buffered dash as well, it was toobusytocare who said that, I just agreed with him because it makes sense to buffer it and it also works, though not necessary.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
could some one post a video example of how this works cause my friend was trying to tell me about it and i dnt get how it works

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
When you grab them, you tap down, then you tap forward, then you press grab, and repeat.
grab > down > forward > grab > etc.

It's all about the t-i-m-i-n-g.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
When you grab them, you tap down, then you tap forward, then you press grab, and repeat.
grab > down > forward > grab > etc.

It's all about the t-i-m-i-n-g.
o yea i get that but i mean it says wario can get chained to 97% i beleieve hows that done i thought it stopped around 20-30s

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
That is the maximum number that is possible with perfect timing. Im not looking at the page so Im guessing staling starting at 0% is being factored in.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
A vid wont really help illustrate the timings, they are extremely subtle (it's very common to not buffer and instead wait like 2 frames after IASA to manually dashgrab, you won't even be able to tell any frames were lost if you didn't already know about it).

Percentages are theoretic maximums, don't stress over them too much. As long as you understand that staling the dthrow and consciously NOT buffering dashgrabs play a huge part in it, you'll get the fundamentals just fine.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
A vid wont really help illustrate the timings, they are extremely subtle (it's very common to not buffer and instead wait like 2 frames after IASA to manually dashgrab, you won't even be able to tell any frames were lost if you didn't already know about it).

Percentages are theoretic maximums, don't stress over them too much. As long as you understand that staling the dthrow and consciously NOT buffering dashgrabs play a huge part in it, you'll get the fundamentals just fine.
"Delayed Indefinitely" is weaksauce.

2-DJeff

Smash Master

the video will give me an idea on wat is exspected to happen

2-DJeff

Smash Master
If you can't imagine Dthrow -> Buffered dashgrab ->Repeat till X% by now, maybe you don't deserve to know.
like ppl can just jump out of it and stop being a ****... thats wat these boards r for thats why ic mains arnt as good as they could be cause we got aszholes like you

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
like ppl can just jump out of it and stop being a ****... thats wat these boards r for thats why ic mains arnt as good as they could be cause we got aszholes like you
Lol, umad? If you're tired of people being *****, you've come to the wrong boards. Since Frozen's not been posting as much, we've gotten too nice around here.

If they're jumping out of it, then you're not buffering the dash grab/standing grab right, or your down throw is too fresh/stale and they are able to get out.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Well I hate to break it to you, but he's right. It should look exactly like you think it should look like, minus the jumping-out-of-it shenanigans. Occasionally it might look like they're too far or something but for the most part it -looks- identical to your typical low% solo dthrow chain.

I hope I don't come off as an ***hole or anything like that (I don't want to drive off newbies), but that's how it is.

Maybe I'll make a video someday when I've finished all the other data I want to look into, but you really shouldn't need it to "see what it looks like."

2-DJeff

Smash Master
Well I hate to break it to you, but he's right. It should look exactly like you think it should look like, minus the jumping-out-of-it shenanigans. Occasionally it might look like they're too far or something but for the most part it -looks- identical to your typical low% solo dthrow chain.

I hope I don't come off as an ***hole or anything like that (I don't want to drive off newbies), but that's how it is.

Maybe I'll make a video someday when I've finished all the other data I want to look into, but you really shouldn't need it to "see what it looks like."
im a newbee to IC im a falco and g&w player i kno how to buffer dash in to grab i have to do it on marth i do well at tourneys.. i just didnt get how this works on wario maybe it was wen fresh/stale.. the reason y i picked up IC cause they are vuturally the best characters in the game just because the Grab

swordgard

Smash Hero
im a newbee to IC im a falco and g&w player i kno how to buffer dash in to grab i have to do it on marth i do well at tourneys.. i just didnt get how this works on wario maybe it was wen fresh/stale.. the reason y i picked up IC cause they are vuturally the best characters in the game just because the Grab
Metaknight says hi!

Metaknight is the best character in the game, not ics, and by far.

Top Bottom