• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Solar Powered: Ivysaur Q&A/General Discussion Thread

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
Utilt platform pokes directly above him. Something that none of his other moves can do unless you jump lol.

It also shifts his hurtbox waaay up, so you can do some really jank dodges with it. It also has more vertical range, less start up and cooldown, and combos.

It's a good move lool.
This. I mainly use it for poking when they're above me on a platform.

As for neutral A on the ground, I only found it useful for getting opponents off me by using both hits. Also, the range of it only covers feet level and nothing above which makes it less useful. I think it'd be a better move if it were a lunching bite instead with knock back similar to Ganondorf's.

Sudai

Stuff here
I've found at really low percents you can UAir > UTilt > UAir where as if you did UAir > UAir they'd be too far for another UAir and UAir > USmash would be too slow. It also connects rather nicely out of NAir if you move through the opponent and make sure not to hit with the last hit or the grounded hit.

It definitely has its uses.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, anybody have any success linking jab to anything?
I've had good results with ftilt, DD grab, nair, instant uair, and nair (dash attack too but YMMV on this one).

Also, jab->seed bomb forces a retreat if there's not a platform above you and you've conditioned them a certain way.

I really like that uair->utilt instead of double uair, Sudai. I'll definitely be working that in where I can.

D

Deleted member

I actually find U-tilt to be a really useful move.

Jab on the other hand....Its horizontal range is pretty disappointing, it has no vertical reach, and the first hit doesn't seem to reliably link into much. I honestly think it's one of the worst jabs in the game, and definitely Ivy's least useful move overall. When is it ever that much better to use jab over D-tilt or F-tilt?

ss118

Smash Master
I think the speed of it is better than down tilt and the knockback on it is easier to follow up on than f-tilt.

It's not the most useful move, but i think it has its uses. I'm finding it harder to use his down b myself; I know I can just throw it around and it can cover options when they recover, but honestly not the most useful tool.

Btw his fair is stupidly ********. If it was faster I would spam it all day, but even then the absurd hitboxes on it sometimes leave me wondering...

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Other than jab resets I honestly hardly use the move.

If it had dtilt's (or even ftilt's) range it would be godlike, though.

I will say that jab->DD grab is super free a lot of the time.

Sudai

Stuff here
ss, try juggling with seed bomb. It's all about enemies that are up in the air but to far to quickly get to with a UAir.

As for jab, the only time I use it is a reactionary "get the **** off me" move but I'm trying to break that habit with Ivy since FTilt is better for that.

ss118

Smash Master
Oh ok I will try that.

Ivysaur is by far my favorite character in project m. It's always fun to check the end of the game and notice you healed by a certain percent. I four stocked one of my friends with 16% because I healed like 52% or something like that lol.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Actually, I'm very interested in gathering healing data. If you all would please keep track of the percents you're healing each (serious) match and keep me informed of this I'd appreciate it. A rough average would be sufficient but if any of you researcher types want to give me an exact match with standard deviations and sample size go for it.

:phone:

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
I like to use seed bomb not only for edgeguarding but when I get thrown or hit up above the stage. It makes people less likely to chase me into the air.

Sudai

Stuff here
I'll start checking and marking down heal %s for ya shell. Sadly I don't play a whole lot so you won't be able to get many data points from me but yeah.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Jab is good when people are too close for a move like dtilt. It also can knock people back into dtilt range, which can lead to some combo set-ups.

Sudai

Stuff here
Very seldomly will jab lead in to a DTilt, even when they're right on you. I'd rather get the extra dmg out of an FTilt since they're pretty close in speed. Can't wait to have frame data so I can say exactly how many frames we lose doing FTilt instead of Jab but it doesn't feel like much.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Hmm, anybody wanna help me compile a frame data thread for Ivy? We could probably find some stuff out.

T44

Smash Rookie
Jab is good when people are too close for a move like dtilt. It also can knock people back into dtilt range, which can lead to some combo set-ups.
This works ok but like what Sudai said ftilt seems like a better option.

And a frame data thread would be awesome

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
So Ivysaur's Razor Leaf is quite annoying. I find it odd shielding a move that hits multiple times against a shield (is there any other move like this outside of some drills.)

Fun character though (annoying though)

Palpi

Smash Hero
Razer leaf is okay. Against slower characters it is definitely more viable. I play against a diddy a lot and because of the slow attack (and startup animation) he rarely gets hit by it.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Looking at her frame data for the thread in progress, her smashes don't linger like at all lol.

However, fsmash is kinda stupid fast in that its active on frames 1-5

:phone:

roymaster803

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget to add the frames of her start up animations before the actual smash attacks. That's where you really see how fast the move is.

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
Some courious/usefull stuff about Ivy (maybe you know em all but w/e xd)

Side B can be smashed like Link's boomerang giving more range and speed, and i think it knockbacks further (since it pushes the enemy away)

Uair has a hitbox in the belly, not sure if it is a meteor or spike, but it does hit on the ground at least.

Dthrow -> UpB in 50% ftw

Don't Uair while recovering .....o.o

Dashattack is almost invisible, use it for making your enemy go nuts.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
I actually really like using uair as a falling speed mixup thing when getting back to the ledge from offstage. The hitbox on Ivy's belly is a meteor. Ivy's nair also has a landing hitbox, just so you know.

I haven't practiced it but it seems like the smash razor leaf is super strict on its timing.

DA is incredibly situational.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Actually got to work on the images, and already found out something cool:

Grounded Vine Whip

Is just flat out inferior to Aerial Vine Whip

More to come when I get everything finalized.. later this week due to school johns.

Gamester

Smash Rookie
I just wanna throw in my $0.02 on "camping" with Ivysaur. As far as Razor Leaf if the opponent is any closer than the max range of the move it's usually more beneficial to Seed Bomb, back up and then space fair or Razor Leaf. From what I've seen people are using it like Ryu's Hadoken when it's really more like Akuma's Red Fireball. In addition once you're behind a Seed Bomb in the air and you have a Razor Leaf out you can almost always safely net 1 tick towards solarbeam.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
i find seed bomb to be very useful for defesnive purposes and preventing careless approach. i usually wavebounce the seed bomb so i goet a quick boost of momentum backwards to sort of cover myself, and then throwout a razor leaf for added coverage and to create punishing oportunities.

Camisado

Smash Rookie
The awesome thing about aerial Vine Whip is the hit box directly above you. If you're Solarbeam is charged and they're using a hitbox and not moving horizontally in the air, SH Vine Whip can make for sick KO moves, plus you get the protection in case they do DI because you cover half of the air space.

The hitbox is about 2-2.5 Ivy lengths above for optimal knockback.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
It's a smash input, but the window that you have to input the smash and b button is small for some people it seems.

It doesnt bother me tho, cuz non-smash is far superior anyway.

Sudai

Stuff here
I don't quite have the timing down yet but I don't think it seems to bad either. Only time I'd want to do the smash is when they're off stage anyway.

Actually, I take that back. I've noticed some projectiles the smash-leaf beats that the normal leaf doesn't like Pika's thunder jolt.

Top Bottom