• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Solar Powered: Ivysaur Q&A/General Discussion Thread

roymaster803

Smash Apprentice
From what I've played Ivy is good at a set distance but when someone is up in her face she can have a hard time. If you can beat out Razor leaf and force her to approach then she can have some problems as well. That's just what I've found out with personal experience. We'll see how she does in the future though.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
How sure are you that d-air gets 5 ticks? Solarbeam stuff was the first thing I tested and d-air was the first move I tested and I'm pretty sure I got Solarbeam in 3 d-airs.
I just did my own testing and can confirm that everything Sunny posted is accurate.

EDIT: I just made a social thread for us to talk about social stuff in, so let's make sure discussion in this thread stays related to Ivysaur and Project M :D

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
Ivysaur's down smash is one of his best edge guard moves if the opponent is recovering from below. It has more range than forward smash past the ledge, is quicker to start and recovery, and doesn't extend Ivysaur's hitbox.

As for MUs, my initial impressions so far is that quick and fast characters that can get in give Ivysaur the hardest time, especially if they aren't fastfallers. Ivysaur can do surprisingly well against fastfalling characters due to up throw => Uair. Characters like Diddy really wreck Ivy when he gets in. Although, at this point I hear Diddy is already very powerful in his own right.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Snap. I totally skipped over it. Lemme go read and reply.

Focusing purely on healing and Solarbeam setups probably would do great at low or mid levels, but i you want to become really good at the game you'll most likely need to develop your spacing and juggling game to the point where your opponents have great difficulty getting in unless they have great mobility (i.e. Falcon, Sonic etc) and if you get an opponent above you they will take a ton of damage or maybe even lose their stock before they get back to the ground.
Don't you think being grab and pummel happy will help a style like this go further?

Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
The thing about Ivy's grab is that it isn't very good lol. If you can make it work that's great, but your best tools for keeping them out will be razor leaf and fair, grabs will come at some point, and it isn't a bad idea to pummel but you have to remember not to pummel too much and let them mash out of the grab. The best option, for most MUs at most percents, is Uthrow imo because it sets them into a juggling position, which as I mentioned earlier seems like Ivy's best situation to be in.

If you think grab happy will work for you go for it, but make sure you don't miss grabs or else you'll get punished hard.

Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
All power to you man. Good luck.

What's your youtube channel so I can see the vids when they get uploaded and maybe put them in the video thread?

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
I think you'll be limiting yourself in terms of Ivysaur's overall potential by only focusing on healing and solarbeam =/. He's not like Jigglypuff where you can Bair all day. The rest of Ivysaur's move set is so crucial to his success, like how most characters should be played, and I think you'll eventually come to a halt in terms of development. Unless I'm misinterpreting the your meaning of ONLY heal moves + solarbeam, I can't imagine playing competitively with those limitations.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
I think you'll be limiting yourself in terms of Ivysaur's overall potential by only focusing on healing and solarbeam =/. He's not like Jigglypuff where you can Bair all day. The rest of Ivysaur's move set is so crucial to his success, like how most characters should be played, and I think you'll eventually come to a halt in terms of development. Unless I'm misinterpreting the your meaning of ONLY heal moves + solarbeam, I can't imagine playing competitively with those limitations.
Agreed in so many ways.

Sudai

Stuff here
I think the heal game won't be too much of a focus for Ivy. Synthesis is kind of unsafe and her grab is extremely slow. If you do want to focus on a heal game, I think it'll come down to being able to land as many bulb attacks as possible so you can heal more safely and also heal even when your solar beam is charged.

Shield grabbing with Ivy is pretty useless. That makes me sad. :[

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko

I'm not talking about ONLY heal moves + solarbeam, but rather a focus/priority on using moves that heal and then using the whole moveset to set up solarbeam.

It's not a matter of being defensive or aggressive either, but picking scenarios/making choices that are most beneficial to getting and keeping Ivy's percentage down, allowing it to self tank.

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
Ah I see. Okay, my bad! lol I love that solarbeam so can't wait to check out your video matches with that playstyle.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Well up until now, it's been more general, though healing still had a lot of priority.

I think my goal right now is to heal over 100% on average per match haha.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
It's not like it's hard. I can usually get around 80-90% a match. You just need to recognize opportunities to heal, which is something that isnt normal for Smash period. It's not essentially running away to heal since that really bodies your momentum, but just knowing how to balance healing and actually playing, outside of bulb attacks.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Speaking of healing - if you're going to die because you were knocked too far from the stage, you might as well charge Solarbeam instead of falling to your death as quickly as possible. You can also charge Solarbeam on the way back to the edge if you were hit very high up and want to recover low.

Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Speaking of healing - if you're going to die because you were knocked too far from the stage, you might as well charge Solarbeam instead of falling to your death as quickly as possible. You can also charge Solarbeam on the way back to the edge if you were hit very high up and want to recover low.
Yeah, when I was looking through your videos to find stuff to add to the video thread I noticed you doing that a lot.

Another thing I noticed was that you SD'd a lot lmao.

Zalde

Smash Rookie
I love this new Ivysaur. I was so excited when Ivysaur was announced for Brawl, but I ended up liking how she handled. These tweaks make Ivysaur play much more like how I was hoping. The sweetspot on Vine Whip is a nice fun touch too!

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
Hey, my name is Timmy. I mainly use Ness, though I also use Ivysaur a lot. I love Ivy's ability to heal and his Solarbeam. I whiffed a Solarbeam a few times though, need to work on my accuracy. XD
I guess they should call it Casey's Beam :awesome:

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
^Earthbound reference to how inaccurate the Casey Bat is with Ness? :p

Anyways, question. Can Solarbeam be reflected? And can it be absorbed by Ness/Lucas/Mr. G&W?

Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I've got seven vids that I'm working on uploading soon. 5 vs Captain Falcon, 2 vs Mario.

Also 1 of my Ganon but who cares about that these are the Ivysaur boards ;)

There was a bit of lag causing missed inputs, most of which ended up making me do the wrong move or or SDing, sometimes SDing because I did the wrong move lmao.

But overall I think they're good vids.

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
i play ivysaur Long range by spaming razor leaf the quickly following it up a good combo (nair, dair, upsmash ect.). I also find that her downB i very useful for setting up traps and walls.

My style is a result of Toon Link being my Main in Brawl, and I use Ivysaur in a very similar fashion.

I know 2.5 was just released but for the next update why not allow her Seed bomb's angle to be adjusted slightly? and maybe have two different heights based on weather you tap B or press B.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I think it'd be cool if Ivy sent one downwards at an angle while in the air as a sort of gimp, and also as a potential combo breaker. He gets ***** when a character gets under him.

Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I think it'd be cool if Ivy sent one downwards at an angle while in the air as a sort of gimp, and also as a potential combo breaker. He gets ***** when a character gets under him.
His Dair and Uair both have meteor hitboxes (Dair right on the bulb, Uair on Ivy's body as he he moves downward). The Dair one might be an actual spike, I'm not sure.

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
I can only see this if you've lost your jump in the first place. If you still have your jump, you can pretty much recover from anywhere with Dairs.

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I do see that now. But I'd say the decrease isn't all that significant, and the Dairs are more suited to help her horizontal recovery anyway. I am new to this, though. Can you explain a situation where you'd benefit more from just charging? I can't imagine you'd get more than 2 clicks.

Top Bottom