• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

MattNF

Smash Lord
The only people who would play Brawl at a party are 12 year olds with Down's Syndrome.

In other words, 80% of Brawl players.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Might want to rethink your logic there.
and how is this

add items to any smash game, get 4 people and play a FFA on some broken stage or why don't you change the handicap or damage ratio while your at it?

Is there an actual difference? or is it more that since one game is less noob friendly or less tech skilled, its less of a fighter/party game?

and what else is wrong with my logic
isn't brawl called, "The 3rd installment" in the smash series

D

Deleted member

Anyone got Super Smash Bros. on the Virtual Console? I do and it's every bit as good as it was when I had an Nintendo 64 with this game. Ahh good times.

DMoogle

A$
Looks like you're saying:
Brawl is a Smash game.
Brawl is also a party game.
Melee and Smash 64 are also Smash games.
Therefore, Melee and Smash 64 are also party games.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Looks like you're saying:
Brawl is a Smash game.
Brawl is also a party game.
Melee and Smash 64 are also Smash games.
Therefore, Melee and Smash 64 are also party games.
Look at my previous post, I am not being illogicial.

As I said

if you know the SRK community, the game will not be recognized

I personally think its a platformer/party game with fighting elements.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Smash 64 = The first installment, meant to be a fun game for both casuals and "competitive" people alike. You can tell Nintendo supported competitive play by hosting tournaments at malls and including "advanced" techniques on their website such as Z-cancelling. What this community did is take this casual/competitive game and made it into this highly competitive game complete with tier lists and data info. Nintendo originally had planned that on these mall tournaments you would have the "pro's" who would spam smash attacks but yet use the so-called "advanced" techniques like Z-cancelling and then your casual party gamer. Z-cancelling to us now is very, very basic.

Melee= The development team was well aware of the people that discovered techniques well beyond Z-cancelling in the N64. This game was still for casuals but had features in it that can further the gameplay. Melee was the first game in which they added a tournament feature meaning they did like the competitive aspects of Smash but weren't so serious about it as to make this game for competitive play only. Sakurai was also well aware of the exploit of Wavedashing and I think he liked it?

Brawl = originally supposed to be a competitive installment but ended up being a party game due to nerfing almost every competitive aspect Melee had. Sakurai and the team tried to even up gameplay to make it more competitive but in doing that so, removed almost every competitive aspect that Melee players found "competitive"

To a newcomer to the Smash series, Brawl would still feel competitive while the Melee community feels otherwise. Brawl does have competitive value but it's very different from Melee's competitive value.

So what you have is preference. If you feel Brawl is competitive, then so be it, if you don't, that's fine too.

Melee =/= Brawl

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I don't get why companies always feel the need to dumb down games to "appeal to casual gamers". It seems to me that games like melee or smash64 are very appealing to casual gamers anyway even though they can be played competitively. Every once in a while I guess these casual players will get owned by a good player but they can always choose to play only with other casual gamers.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I don't get why companies always feel the need to dumb down games to "appeal to casual gamers". It seems to me that games like melee or smash64 are very appealing to casual gamers anyway even though they can be played competitively. Every once in a while I guess these casual players will get owned by a good player but they can always choose to play only with other casual gamers.
I'd say melee is not as popular to casual gamers as SSB64

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
64 is friendlier to brawlers than melee. 64 is closer to brawl in terms of how you play the game than melee is, and the insane hitstun and rediculous combos makes the game look attractive as well. A brawler trying melee will get overrun by a good fox, probably not even getting a single hit, while in 64, he can move around better (though it may not last long depending on the opponent).

Several brawlers in my area play 64 as well (after I introduced it to them), while very few brawlers play melee (I'm the only one that plays brawl and melee competitively... heck I'm the only one that even plays all three games here). I asked them out of curiosity why they like 64 and not melee, and... well, what I said above was a general consensus of what they said.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Melee is to complex and too hard to play for a casual gamer, unlike 64.... Im not sure about brawl tho. In my zone no one (casuals and competitible players) likes it

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Unless you're ********, no.
no need for this form of trolling.

to this quote
Compare the difficulty of games in the SNES era to the games of today. The only difficult game i can think of at this time is Demon Souls. Its been like this foro way too long.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Trolling? No, honestly he's ********.
you dumbsh¡ts, not everybody is a fuking videogame nerd like you or me or most of people here. i said CASUAL gamer, as for people who dont even play videogames much and likes simple games just for casual fun

Thats what i've seen from my personal experience as I've seen many of those people who dont like videogames much... they all disliked melee and kept on playing ssb64. SSB64 is a waaay easier and friendlier stuff for those kind of casual players.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
impossible with more than 4 frames I bet
i did it with Isai online, I think it was 5 frames of p2p. I think, we got through 2 rotations, but we ran over the portion of the actual stage. So 1 normal one by the way they did it.

to Nixxon, if more people knew how complex smash 64 was, or if the game started off this competitive, then I believe the less competitive people would be playing brawl, not smash 64.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
New glitch with fox vs. fox?

I was blue fox, and the comp. was regular fox.

Just as he shot out of his UpB, I mean, immediately as he shot out of it, I hit him with an Usmash, and, for some reason, the attacks canceled and he double jumped normally over me.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but normally you shouldn't be able to jump after doing your UpB, even if it is canceled, right?

NixxxoN

Smash Master
to Nixxon, if more people knew how complex smash 64 was, or if the game started off this competitive, then I believe the less competitive people would be playing brawl, not smash 64.
Casual gamers also seek for quality. so doesnt matter if the game is more or less complex, it 1st place it has to be a good game lol.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Casual gamers also seek for quality. so doesnt matter if the game is more or less complex, it 1st place it has to be a good game lol.
So you say casual gamers seek for quality.
Then why do casual people play brawl more than melee

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Graphics and sounds quality. Basically, what jumps out immediately to the consumer.

Solid plot and solid gameplay are things that you can't communicate easily in advertising.
+

people usually think newest = better
"omg i play the newest one you play an old one im cool your not" and cr@p like this

DMoogle

A$
I'd rather buy a SNES than a PS3 or Xbox 360
I would too, but I don't know if that's really because new games suck or if it's because I already know what games I like on the SNES, and learning a new game is a pain. And it's almost impossible to find unbiased opinions.

Top Bottom