• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Our Aussie server has/d a veteran that does nothing but sandbag, simply because he lives in Western Australia where they give less than a **** about anything than East Siders. (About absolutely anything btw, not just SSB). On top of that he has 7 frames delay, so when we play him he never tries to combo at all, and rather plays defensively and focuses on spacing.

I found that really helped me get better by learning that play styles and defensive manuevres are jsut as important as flashy combos. Though I would like him to try at times I have a few others on the server who have a lot more experience.

Anyway just a quick cool story with somewhat relevance :).

rpotts

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRV3K6XJj3I

wasn't worth making a new thread for, but i regularly do searches for ssb64 sorted by most recent on youtube, and this is a new, decent combo video by Afro, who I hadn't heard of. It's got some good stuff, some basic some cool. *almost* everything is a legit combo too, training mode combos btw...

DMoogle

A$
Our Aussie server has/d a veteran that does nothing but sandbag, simply because he lives in Western Australia where they give less than a **** about anything than East Siders. (About absolutely anything btw, not just SSB). On top of that he has 7 frames delay, so when we play him he never tries to combo at all, and rather plays defensively and focuses on spacing.

I found that really helped me get better by learning that play styles and defensive manuevres are jsut as important as flashy combos. Though I would like him to try at times I have a few others on the server who have a lot more experience.

Anyway just a quick cool story with somewhat relevance :).
This sounds like the opposite of sandbagging. o.O

Skrlx

Smash Champion
some day I will visit Australia and play smash with asianaussie and the other d00dz

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
This sounds like the opposite of sandbagging. o.O
Well, I guess half and half really, he can combo even on that delay but he chooses not to, so you can't say he's trying to play his best, but then again he does try in other aspects of the game.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
counterpicking in friendlies is simply being gay
also people should forget about the "who does better vs who" attitude
player >>> character

Skrlx

Smash Champion
the characters matter a little but the player matters more.

Gav (pikachu/kirby/falcon) vs superboomfan (samus)

Who's gonna win? The character "advantages" he may have are so puny that they don't even seem to exist when you're playing a pro like boom

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
the characters matter a little but the player matters more.

Gav (pikachu/kirby/falcon) vs superboomfan (samus)

Who's gonna win? The character "advantages" he may have are so puny that they don't even seem to exist when you're playing a pro like boom
Certain matchups are that bad that it can effect how close a match is. If someone is good enough to at least know the matchup well, they can possibly win vs someone much better than them.

Ive won vs Kirby's before with Samus..there are worse matchups. Take a good Jigglypuff and face vs a Luigi who knows the matchup. The Jigglypuff will probably have problems.

dandan

Smash Lord
Samus's matchups are surprisingly alright if the player has a good grasp of techchasing, wall combos, spacing, etc.
samus is all about spacing. that is why i love playing her so much.
a good spacing samus can be dangerous, just watch jaime.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I hate any sort of projectile spam.

I also hate defensive play with good defensive characters like Kirby/Pika.

Basically, I suck at approach, it's my biggest weakness, and I don't know how to learn... it's infuriating *rages* *cries* */ wrists*

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
Yeah... kirby's nair and bair and pikachu's bair have insane priority and makes certain matchups really stupid. Even with pretty good djc with ness I have an almost impossible time defeating "good" (not even pro) level kirbys on dreamland. The matchup is just stupidly hard because if kirby gets a couple bair and nair attacks to knockme off the stage, then it's a sure death because kirby can either jump into the pk thunder and then use super recovery to get back onto the stage, or use dair. Same thing with good pikachus and bair spam.

DMoogle

A$
Ness vs. Kirby is consistently a very tough match-up.

By consistently, I mean that it's not all that high variance. Results generally aren't going to change all that much from style to style (assuming similar skill) and match to match.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah... I wish Ness had the Melee f-air, that would help with his approach problems so much.

Yay we moved up... no own section but I think this will help as well
MLG is just feeding crumbs to starving orphans to keep them quiet, my friend. Personally, I want the full course meal.

firo

Smash Ace
I think Kirby v Ness on dreamland is not nearly as bad as v Pikachu. Kirby just isn't as quick and doesn't have the throws or quick moves to get Ness off the stage and edge guard him with ease like Pikachu can. Not to say that the matchup is easy, but Kirby is at least a little lighter and has a bit more trouble recovering which can give Ness some openings.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I think Jiggs gets some of the worst matchups if you ask me. Fox is hell, Luigi is only slightly better, Kirby can utterly dominate and Pika has no trouble 0-deathing her.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
There are multiple moves that lead to a grab (or 0-death in general). The ones I use the most are down-air, fair, nair, uair (if I want to be fancy), utilt, sing (against someone who doesn't know how to get out of it faster)... but yeah, basically any aerial can combo into a grab (Dair and Nair are the best ones).

But yeah, Puff easily gets the worst matchups in the game.

Though I find it wierd... I like the Puff vs Fox matchup. It's one of my favourite puff matchups. It's still insane Fox advantage, but there's something about it that I like... oh well, I guess I'm just wierd :p

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Every character is different for puff. Pikachu, you either have to get a grab at low percent, or do a different combo. Falcon and Fox, anything works lol.

Although it is true that Grab doesn't combo into anything past 20% (**** tent excluded), that doesn't mean that Puff's grab isn't good (which it is insanely good).

But yeah... Puff doesn't need grab combos to do well (though they help a ton... depending on the character). I've combo'd characters to death without grabs... you just need to know what you're doing I guess lol :p

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
sandbagging - intentionally losing or giving up a set in order to win big money later

so, u lose to get into the loser's brackets where u know ull own them all so u got an easy road to the grand finals

DMoogle

A$
sandbagging - intentionally losing or giving up a set in order to win big money later

so, u lose to get into the loser's brackets where u know ull own them all so u got an easy road to the grand finals
Uhhhhhhh these must be some weird brackets, because that strategy doesn't make any sense at all with the brackets that I've seen everyone been using.

And losing intentionally in side games for low stakes to convince your opponent to up the stakes, then pulling out the "big guns" is straight up hustling, and totally unethical.

Top Bottom