• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
New gens have a fair few games that are amazing, Fallout 3 is one of the best games I've ever played, +ffxii is out tomorrow (even though reviews says it's pretty meh gameplay wise). Killzone 2, LBP, Cod4, operation flash point: dragon rising, are pretty cool games too

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
only rpg i've ever really liked, at all.

fuuck final fantasy, turn based rpg=fail
Everything from final fantasy X-2 onwards has been a hybrid of real-time and turn based, XIII is one of them. Kinda hard to explain, but the combat is a lot more inolving and there are no more scene changes from battle to explore mode, while you are exploring you can see enemies roaming around and attack them right away, so it's not bad.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Final Fantasy X was good...a little time consuming, but good...

Most of the new gen adventure sequels (Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank) are downright awful compared to the originals.

earthadept

Smash Lord
Haha, I'm the complete opposite. Anytime I play a game like Fallout 3 or Oblivion, I get bored out of my mind in an hour or two. Give me a classic turn-based Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy game any day. (SNES/PSX was the pinnacle of RPG gaming imo)

Also, the current gen of games really has some amazing games. I think people tend to overrate a lot of old games. Yes, there were a ton of godly games for NES and SNES and old systems like that, but think of the vast number of utterly horrible games. Stuff that wouldn't even be released today. I think the average quality of a game nowadays is higher, if not only because the production values are higher (there are several gems from the older gens that are ridiculously incredible... but imo the huge majority of games suck. did you know there were at least 700 NES games? how many of them were actually worth playing/buying for $50-$60?)

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Same goes with the Wii console today, I remember reading on IGN that the Wii has the widest library of new gen games but they averaged a score of 4 or less :S (iirc)

earthadept

Smash Lord
Same goes with the Wii console today, I remember reading on IGN that the Wii has the widest library of new gen games but they averaged a score of 4 or less :S (iirc)
Oh yeah, I wasn't talking about the wii. It's a complete piece of ****. Worst console I own, by far. I use it solely for emulation, Muramasa, and the occasional game of "Brawl".

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
i decided to repaint one of my controllers today. hopefully it turns out well. I'll post pictures when it's done.

edit:

ok here is my first attempt at painting a controller...

I used krylon fusion spray paint for plastic

the controller is done in a black glossy color with a textured finish to give it a sort of grippy feel (sweaty hands ><)
the buttons are just all bright yellow.

there are a few small smudges on the controller part but the texture hides it. I also smudged the R button a little and the c buttons are a bit off color but oh well, it was fun and didn't take too long. I'll do another one this weekend.

double edit: check out Michael Jackson grillin' you in the background....

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
^ it's pretty straight forward once you get the hang of it. disassembling the controller is pretty easy actually. there are a bunch of tutorials online

rpotts

Smash Lord
dumbest rule ever. There should be no restrictions on character choice and no restrictions on stage choice if both (all) players agree.

Mizar

Smash Ace
Since I didn't want to make a new thread about my ****, I'll just post it here.

I play melee for some time now, but since I somewhat lack players in my area, I'd like to pick up SSB to play online. I'm just wondering if its too late to start now to pick it up, since its been out for so long and the boards/community seem to be dying (correct me if I'm wrong).

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668

I play melee for some time now, but since I somewhat lack players in my area, I'd like to pick up SSB to play online. I'm just wondering if its too late to start now to pick it up, since its been out for so long and the boards/community seem to be dying (correct me if I'm wrong).
the board is not dying and you can find a lot of people online. Its easy to pick up...its just that there is a large gap between the really good people and the good people

NixxxoN

Smash Master

Since you're dutch, you are welcome to join our european ssb64 online community by adding this contact to your msn, group74422@groupsim.com (answer to the question = kirby (no caps))

The Star King

Smash Hero
there is a large gap between the really good people and the good people
Wtf are you talking about? My definition of good is probably different from yours, but still, the only large gap I can think of is Everyone -> Superboom -> Isai (and those aren't THAT large)

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
To shootingstar, this is what I mean

A.There are level 9's
B.There are the amateurs who can 4/5 stock level 9's by cpu strategies.
C.there are people who can 4/5 stock these people
D.there are people who can 4/5 stock the people who can 5 stock those people
E.There are people who can 4/5 stock really good people who can 5 stock those people.
F.There is Boomfan above that who can 4 stock those people
I(sai).There is Isai above that.

Think about the difference how about compared to melee. In melee, a level C person actually has a chance vs a level D. They won't; lose quickly. This is all going by mains and not sandbagging.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Actually, on the same topic, I've noticed that the player who can 4/5-stock someone with their main goes generally even with that same person when they use their worst character. Maybe not for all levels, but for the most part, this seems to be the case :p

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
That's pretty true Blue Yoshi. At least I've noticed that also; if I 4/5 stock a player on kaillera, I'll try using falcon or samus, who I literally never use, and then the game becomes close, but still with a slight edge for me. It all comes down to the basics like cancelling, prediction, accuracy, etc. If the player is that much below your level, chances are you can kill them with any character. Like Koro said, the skill gaps are huge in ssb 64. That's why this game rox all your pairs of sox.

Btw, what does the term "sandbagging" mean? Seen it used a million times on here and have just ignored it. Thanks.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Oh well that's just bad logic imo. Playing against sandbaggers takes the fun out of it. I could care less how bad I get my *** kicked. Playing a person at their fullest is what makes me better. That's just my personal opinion though.

DMoogle

A$
Playing against someone who sandbags being more or less fun is a matter of opinion. I'd rather play against someone who likes to try new things and dazzle me with a move or combo that is tough to pull off than play vs. someone who isn't really trying new things, and is mostly just exploiting me the same way.

And I meant it's the sandbagger who benefits from getting better, not the person playing vs. the sandbagger. Although the weaker player should be getting better either way, as long as the stronger player isn't sandbagging so much he's literally *letting* the weaker player win.

Where's the faulty logic?

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
The last time I had this discussion it never endedhyperbole. It's all a matter of perspective I suppose. That actually is a pretty good way to put it. That way of sandbagging heard I not.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Whenever I play against people (especially new people), they prefer playing me when I sandbag. Not alot of people here play 64, and if I were to jv 6-stock everyone, no one would play. So, I sandbag, even in tourneys, just so that people feel good about playing smash 64, and continue to play it.

If I went all out every game, I would be the only person playing it.

Top Bottom