• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
yeah i will say that death note's art style caught my eye and i decided to watch it because of that
Death Note's art style is rather good, I will say that. However, what makes the anime great is how unique its story is to me.
To write someone's name in a notebook, just so they can die in some way later on?
Whether the idea has been done for a story before or not, that's the first time I've ever heard of such a concept.

kys

Smash Ace
Journalism is a tough field, but it's what I like to do. It doesn't matter how much money I make; that's never been my concern. My concern has been waking up to a 9 to 5 job that I hate.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Death Note's art style is rather good, I will say that. However, what makes the anime great is how unique its story is to me.
To write someone's name in a notebook, just so they can die in some way later on?
Whether the idea has been done for a story before or not, that's the first time I've ever heard of such a concept.
oh definitely. i decided to give it a shot because of the art style catching my eye, but i continued watching it because i liked the premise, the plot, and the characters.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Journalism is a tough field, but it's what I like to do. It doesn't matter how much money I make; that's never been my concern. My concern has been waking up to a 9 to 5 job that I hate.
It is with this mindset, you'll come to live a regretless (I doubt that's a word) and happy life.

Peek~

Smash Lord
Characters are usually the biggest factor in watching/continuing an anime for me.

So often its that I hate the lead character but like the supporting.

TANK64

Smash Lord
DeathNote2good.

Also, Working! is funny lol. Thanks Ciaza xD. I'll probably finish it today.

Doesn't quite beat the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya for me, but that's difficult.
InB4IgetFlamedForLikingTMHSxD

Also, lol @ whoever compared Sailor Moon filler with DBZ. wtf lol. DBZ has waaaay more filler, plus Sailor Moon is episodic so there's always action/development. DBZ is ... not.

I love both btw, just sayin'.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
i find it hilarious that the reedited DBZ Kai is like 1/3 as long as the original DBZ. I mean seriously, 2/3 of the show was filler.

Typical DBZ scene:

Villain: I am the most powerful being in the universe!
Piccolo: HIS POWER LEVEL IS UNBELIEVABLE
Krillin: I hope Goku gets here soon.
Vegeta: I am KING OF SAIYANS!

Vegeta tries to fight the villain and gets stomped. Suddenly Goku gets there.

Goku: I can't wait to test my strength!
Kriliin: I'm so glad Goku is here!

Goku spends 10 minutes powering up and yelling aimlessly while the villain delivers a monologue about how Goku stands no chance against him, even at his full power. Finally Goku says he's ready to fight.

Goku does a Kamehameha at the villain which blows up like 10 mountains and sends rubble and dust flying everywhere. Cue reactions shots of Krilin, Vegeta and Piccolo making grunting noises.

Krilin: I'm so glad Goku is here!
Vegeta: HOW COULD KAKAROT BE SO POWERFUL?
Piccolo: HIS POWER LEVEL IS UNBELIEVABLE

Everyone thinks the villain is dead, but after 3 minutes of the dust billowing, it finally clears and the Villain is standing there completely unharmed. Cue more reaction shots of Krilin, Vegeta and Piccolo being surprised, even though this happens every single episode.

Goku is such a boring character

TANK64

Smash Lord
@Ballin,lol. Spot on.

@Peek, lol I thought it was xD. Also, I pretty much liked all the chars in that show- which I didn't think was possible (with the esper being slightly annoying). Nagato2good.

Also, lol @me owning DeathNote, DBZ, and every single Sailor Moon anything on DVD (yes), and I'm always popping in DBZ/SailorMoon. DeathNote- never since the first watch lol (even though I loved it). Replay value ftw.

malva00

Smash Master
I used to watch a lot of anime when I was younger, but I'm too lazy now.

I'm only watching the new Hunter x Hunter because I'm a big FAN.

What are the best anime from the last 2-3 years? Anything as good as Berserk or Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal?

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I used to watch a lot of anime when I was younger, but I'm too lazy now.

I'm only watching the new Hunter x Hunter because I'm a big FAN.

What are the best anime from the last 2-3 years? Anything as good as Berserk or Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal?
Well there's no saying due to the huge variety of genres, but most newer anime is heavily influenced by the anime culture and is therefore often filled with references, fan service, etc. which might be a turn of for those that aren't as dedicated to watching modern anime.

I'll just leave this link here. (Based on mean scores from the site)
http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
this was never not an anime thread since the time i joined this site

the new hunter x hunter is apparently terrible in contrast to the manga - according to aa

lol @ using mal for best anime

i doubt it would especially appeal to malva anyway, considering i recall him dropping stein's gate before he finished it

i reckon go with like, angel beats!

AMAZING characters (t.k, namely), great concept, and some good, heart-touching plot

or maybe i'm biased because i like yui

and i'm well aware aa and superboom are going to take the piss out of me for saying that

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I wasn't trying to use MAL to suggest shows, but to demonstrate my point of the huge diversity in genres of shows liked by people and for him to see what the kids are into these days. :p

Is there any good anime in English
Are there*

Subjectively, the answer is yes.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
inb4 people ***** about it not being true anime, but nickolodeon's avatar is a GREAT show

Also, can we stop talking about anime?

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
one does not simply stop talking about anime

I thought anime was singular like is there any good food. Or maybe that's wrong too idk. Ive only heard of dbz and baritone in English. Does anyone have a suggestion
fullmetal alchemist: brotherhood

kys

Smash Ace
Barry Bonds. No longer considered in the running for best baseball player ever because he took steroids. Discuss.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
looks like you're never getting picked up for games' night ever again, nor have permission to tend to our garden

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Barry Bonds. No longer considered in the running for best baseball player ever because he took steroids. Discuss.
Well, it depends on how long he's been juicing. I honestly dislike most steroid users due to how needlessly aggressive they become because of it. That said, if his greatness was achieved without the use of steroids, and his juicing was only fairly recent, then there's no reason to not consider him. Sure, they can try to make an example out of him, but it would seem messed up. Of course, if his entire career was built on his steroids, then yeah, I wouldn't blame them for not considering him. That's my viewpoint.
You hate anime because you haven't watched FLCL at least 3 times yet.
I've seen FLCL dozens of times, and I still don't understand it... and I love it because of that. Some might say it contradicts my previous statements of liking stories, where FLCL's story (if it even has a solid one) seems to be all over the place. However, it's extremely random and it knows what it is. It's not trying to be serious or engaging; it's just nonsense they threw into a blender and turned it into an anime, and it oddly works rather well. The fact that it's only 6 episodes mean that the insanity will not drag on and overstay its welcome either, so it has a pretty great balance in what it wants to do.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
new hxh is terrible, manga or nothing

fate/zero is tops, respect++ to jaimehr, it's the show that's really, really good (but nobody talks about it because they all accept it's good)

i claim full credit for anyone being introduced to working! (and baka test) through ciaza

**** the anime haters, haruhi wasn't nearly as funny as working, FLCL is amazing, yui is mid-tier and only high-tier if you have a cat fetish, and dean is a ****ing ponce

clannad still the best, nothing touches it

Channighan

Smash Ace
I thought anime was singular like is there any good food. Or maybe that's wrong too idk. Ive only heard of dbz and naruto in English. Does anyone have a suggestion
Anime and Manga are singular and plural, just like Pokemon names :v

Watch Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood). Brotherhood follows the manga but Fullmetal Alchemist has it's own storyline, but has the same characters. They're both worth watching in English though.

:phone:

Top Bottom