• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
I don't like anime cuz it's too big of a time siiiiiiiinkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
My interest in anime started fading when I saw there was so many anime out there. Like, there are tons and tons of anime, and a lot of them are clichés, especially the harem anime, which after watching Tenchi Muyo and Love Hina, the genre got really old really fast. Now, I'm really selective of the anime I watch today, although classics, like Dragonball/Z, Outlaw Star, Sailor Moon, Cowboy Bebop, Blue Submarine No. 6, etc., are anime I can watch any day.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
more like

bloody americans, ruining our anime thread with determinism and barry bonds and useless garbage
you bring up determinism 10x as much as anyone mayeng

Honestly, it's okay if someone isn't into anime. I can respect their decision. What does vex me are those who say they hate anime and give no reason. I like anime myself. I used to be an anime junkie in my youth, but now I only watch it sparingly.
it's probably the fanboys.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
My interest in anime started fading when I saw there was so many anime out there. Like, there are tons and tons of anime, and a lot of them are clichés, especially the harem anime, which after watching Tenchi Muyo and Love Hina, the genre got really old really fast. Now, I'm really selective of the anime I watch today, although classics, like Dragonball/Z, Outlaw Star, Sailor Moon, Cowboy Bebop, Blue Submarine No. 6, etc., are anime I can watch any day.
i would never be able to watch dbz/sailor moon etc again, see boom's post for more details (and also manga > anime, case in point is love hina, in which the manga is so much better it may as well be a different thing entirely)

you bring up determinism 10x as much as anyone mayeng
bring up to poke fun =/= sustain pointless pseudo-philosophical argument that neither party will ever yield

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
No, it's not the fanboys that derailed my interest. It's just the seeming lack of something fresh. Yeah, you'll get those fresh and original concepts, but for the most part, it's either harem, or slice-of-life. Also, with the exception of DBZ and a few others, I tend to be a little put off by anime that's longer than 26 episodes, as they seem to just drag on.

Inuyasha was the first I started losing interest in because I felt the story was getting too stale (admittedly, I did enjoy the "Band of Seven" arc). Ouran High School Host Club was an anime I had watched only recently, and I actually enjoyed it because it takes the idea of the harem anime and reverses it; instead of one guy surrounded by a bunch of girls, it's the other way around, except it's more dignified.

I tend to watch more serious anime that lasts no longer than 26 episodes. From Black Lagoon, to Serial Experiments Lain, to Rin, my taste seems to vary, and it's usually the type that few in the mainstream seem to know much about, though that's just what I think.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
That doesn't make any sense. It's like me saying "I hate football because of the crazy fans that start riots in the streets"
believe it or not some people hate soccer and cite the fans as a reason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahsAN9HB7ho

bring up to poke fun =/= sustain pointless pseudo-philosophical argument that neither party will ever yield
just saying you bring it up a lot. although i guess it's not really your fault since it's all determined anyway :troll:

No, it's not the fanboys that derailed my interest. It's just the seeming lack of something fresh. Yeah, you'll get those fresh and original concepts, but for the most part, it's either harem, or slice-of-life. Also, with the exception of DBZ and a few others, I tend to be a little put off by anime that's longer than 26 episodes, as they seem to just drag on.
lmao at complaining about anime dragging on yet looking positively on DBZ, the show with more filler than anything in the history of the universe

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
I admit I will watch DBZ just for the nostalgia factor alone 10 times over and if you don't like it you can kiss my ***

lalala OH nanana

The Star King

Smash Hero
i think its heresy to have watched bleach and not liked it

:aizen:
I got sick of it during the saving-Orihime part when there were 100 random fights with henchmen nobody cares about in a row (the manga)

I like the plot actually progressing

Also I don't hate anime as much as some people but ciaza and asianaussie made me hate its discussion. There was one period of time they would have like a 50 post chain about anime, destroying all previous conversations, every other night for like a month. And it was usually a 95% one-on-one conversation too, because apparently they don't know what IMing is. And now there are new people bringing it up, like Krynxe and Channighan... ugh

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
I love how this community can talk about Free Will vs. Determinism and then completely change the topic to Anime in a matter of seconds.

only on Smash 64 Boards.

We need a level ground here.

lalala OH nanana

SSBPete

Smash Lord
DBZ is the single greatest thing in human existence. Infact I rewatched the entire series last holidays, including GT.

But that's the extent of my anime knowledge.

:phone:

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^Holy Hell, you've got some brass balls there Pete.

DBZ/Sailor moon movies are still good if you're looking to get that fix. They actually develop fast, the fights are better, and people actually die. Unlike the show, where you have to watch 100 episodes to get the any progress any no one's actually going to die (and if they do they'll get wished back). Or select episodes, that you know are good, can work too.

Anime movies in general are 2good.

Pretty sure I've said this before...

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
lmao at complaining about anime dragging on yet looking positively on DBZ, the show with more filler than anything in the history of the universe
Looking back on it now, yes, you're right. I still look fondly on it for the nostalgia factor, but I don't really watch it anymore. It is for that reason I prefer DBZ Kai, since it leaves out all of the crappy filler, which is what makes me like it. My only complaint, though not too serious, is that they left out the Buu Saga. Again, not too serious, mostly because it is the weakest saga in the series, so I can live without it.

By the way, you forgot about Sailor Moon and its million episodes and fillers as well. :troll:

Channighan

Smash Ace
Probably because all I ever hear about is basketball/football and it gets extremely repetitive (sounds... familiar)

"YO son Lebron > Kobe"
"Nah bruh Kobe has riiinnngs which obv means he's better herpderp"

And what makes me more mad are the IDIOTS who only watch DBZ and call me obscure names just because I watch a wider variety of anime. Hell, they barely even know what anime is, and they probably think it started in America.

You can stop those convos by.. Idk POSTING while they're doing the anime conversations? It's a social thread lmao.

But on the other side GUYS LOOK A DISTRACTION!

:phone:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I got sick of it during the saving-Orihime part when there were 100 random fights with henchmen nobody cares about in a row (the manga)

I like the plot actually progressing

Also I don't hate anime as much as some people but ciaza and asianaussie made me hate its discussion. There was one period of time they would have like a 50 post chain about anime, destroying all previous conversations, every other night for like a month. And it was usually a 95% one-on-one conversation too, because apparently they don't know what IMing is. And now there are new people bringing it up, like Krynxe and Channighan... ugh
umad bro

also the bleach post was a joke, bleech is ****ing terrible these days rofl

i just bought madoka magica on blu-ray for $35
Bleh

i would have the BDs of clannad and hanasaku iroha if i could import freely, maybe bakemonogatari too

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
itt:

i would've bought a better anime in bd, however jb hifi didn't have one, except MAYBE k-on (but for only one season)

madoka has great art anyway so i don't feel bad

lol @ james' ban

kys

Smash Ace
My post was a joke. People can like whatever they want, fine by me. And the social thread would die without the Aussies. I cherish them.

But I do think it's funny that it spurred even more discussion about anime.

I've never seen the appeal personally; I think anime is popular because there are so many, and after awhile someone is bound to stumble upon something they can relate to. That's what makes TV/movies/books successful; the ability it has to be relatable to a person. I don't know if relatable is actually a word (don't think it is), but y'all get my drift.

I found another weird property about the rightmost platform in dreamland. Not only does it give Pika (and possibly other characters) invincibility frames at certain moments (see rat glitch thread), but more recently I've seen it act as a solid ledge in certain situations, where a character was actually knocked back after "hitting" it. Weird.

kys

Smash Ace
Definitely is^. What caused me pause is that it is an adjective, and I used it as predicate nominative. Getting a degree in journalism will make you a grammar nazi, and it is not a good thing. Overthinking johns.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i don't even know what a predicate nominative is, and i literally got the highest possible english essay mark in highschool

hell, i would just say 'relatable to a person' is the quote unquote adjective there

kys

Smash Ace
Wow. An adjective can be a predicate nominative. 6th grade English. What is wrong with me? (Don't answer)

aa, a predicate nominative is a direct object used with a verb "to be". "I am a person." Am is a form of "to be", so grammarians call it a predicate nominative instead of a direct object. Another way of thinking about it is putting an = sign in-between the subject and the pred. nom. I=person.

This is worse than an anime discussion.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Honestly, I liked anime for the art style initially. I mean, being a 9 year-old kid then, I didn't care much for stories yet. Seeing Sailor Moon for the first time, I thought it looked way different and unique from the average Saturday morning American cartoons, and it was that uniqueness that drew me in. Of course, now I appreciate stories more, and it's for that reason I don't watch many anime programs the way I used to, since ideas are starting to get stale (if they haven't already), and there isn't any art-style, no matter how great, that could save an anime for me if the story is completely forgettable.

@
kys: Look on the bright side: You may be a grammar "Nazi", but at least your degree in journalism can get you pretty far career-wise, no?

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Honestly, I liked anime for the art style initially. I mean, being a 9 year-old kid then, I didn't care much for stories yet. Seeing Sailor Moon for the first time, I thought it looked way different and unique from the average Saturday morning American cartoons, and it was that uniqueness that drew me in. Of course, now I appreciate stories more, and it's for that reason I don't watch many anime programs the way I used to, since ideas are starting to get stale (if they haven't already), and there isn't any art-style, no matter how great, that could save an anime for me if the story is completely forgettable.

@
yeah i will say that death note's art style caught my eye and i decided to watch it because of that

Top Bottom