• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I really want to get the new Sakura wars game but I don't know if I can get an Amazon gift card right now.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hey, all. What’s up?
I'm mostly working on a few games. I finished up Quest 64 Hard Mode Version 2.01 and playing through 2.02. For the most part, this is... easier? I dunno, it seems like the "harder enemies" in the end only gave me more Defense.

The government (in Québec, where i live):
"Some schools and other places will progressively reopen in the coming weeks because the COVID-19 epidemic is under control for the moment"

People right now:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Might as well post this again, see if more people have stuff to say about it.
The classic insectoid warriors from the Atari 2600 title Yars’ Revenge. Their visual design is based off of how they looked in the comic that came with the original title, as well as the 2011 remake Yars’ Revenge: First War. While wearing an armor piece that resembles the cover of the original game, with a gatling energy gun on the lower right arm. The Yar’s neutral combo has them strike with their multiple arms, and transitions into a rapid jab. The Tilt attacks are smaller rapid strikes with each normal arm in the corresponding direction. When they dash, the Yar will start running before beginning to float with their wings. This follows into their Dash Attack, where their armor heats as if re-entering the atmosphere and they slam into their foes. Their forward smash is a charged “Falcon Punch” esque strike with two arms. Their up smash is an uppercut with their gun arm which proceeds to fire a few quick blasts into the launching opponent. Their down smash is a headbutt with their armored headpiece. Their neutral air is a quick and weak spark like projectile from their mouth. Their forward and back airs are quick blasts from their gun arm. Their up and down aerials are kicks in the corresponding direction of the attack, which can be quickly combed together for a “cartwheel combo”. For the grab, they reach forward with all four arms and pummel by headbutting. Their forward throw has the Yar unloading a quick blast from their head, while the back throw is a kind of “half-Mario-throw”. The up throw has the Yar clap their wings into the oponant, launching them upward. The down throw is a short, one-inch dive stomp. Their floor attacks are quick leg spins. The Neutral Special is Pulse Laser. A quick ball of energy fired from Yar’s mouth. When holding an item of any kind, doing this button sequence will cause Yar to consume the item, allowing the next Pulse Laser shot to be supercharged. This same effect can also be achieved with enemy projectiles. As you can see in the animation, Yar extends their head before firing the Pulse Laser. If this hitbox before the blast makes contact with a projectile, it will be consumed. The side special is Gatling Blast. Yar will fire a series of short projectiles from their gatling gun. They can move while shooting, and these blasts can also be supercharged by eating an item or projectile. In fact, any attack where Yar fires a laser can be supercharged. For the up special, Yar propels themselves upwards with its wings. Yar’s Down Special is Neutral Zone. A cloud of yellow gas will envelop Yar for a second or two. While in the Neutral Zone, Yar is immune to damage, but can not attack back. Yar’s Final Smash is Zorlon Cannon. Yar will rocket forward, trapping his foes in a cutscene. The cannon is readied on the Yar home planet and fired, it then hits the trapped foes, launching them far. Yar’s taunts reference other classic Atari games. They will drink from the Golden Chalice found in Adventure, be temporarily encircled by the Centipede like a snake handler, and dodge an Asteroid which breaks into vector lines on the ground. The victory poses reference the cover of Yars’ Revenge, Yars’ Return, and the 2011 remake Yar’s Revenge.
The stage in this pack is meant to be a showcase of retro Atari games in all their 8-Bit/line vector graphic glory. You start on a layout reminiscent or Yars’ Revenge. You are on a platform and 8-bit Yars are in the background trying to destroy the Qotile. Eventually the platform will zoom off into space and the platform will be in black space surrounded by Asteroids. They will occasionally collide with the platform, and apon impact will fall over into vector lines which can also crush opponents. The platform will zoom off until it begins to orbit a planet from Gravitar. As you maneuver around the planet you are shot at by turrets before you land on the planet. The planet is covered in mushrooms and the platform becomes under attack from spiders and the titular centipede from the game Centipede. You can interact with turrets that appear at the sides of the platform to fend off the spiders and centipede. The platform will zoom backwards and then begin following the ship from Tempest down a long tunnel, dodging the enemies the ship’s fire misses. The platform will eventually leave the ship behind and begin horizontally moving across the screen back and forth. The camera zooms out to reveal a row of blocks from the game Breakout. The fighters can launch the ball to break the blocks. Once they are all broken, the platform is freed into the map from Combat. Tanks are firing across the screen and can damage opponents. Finally, you zoom out and the platform is hovering above the landscape from Missile Command. Missiles rain down from the top of the screen and can also damage fighters. If you are still somehow fighting by this point, the platform will rise into space back to the Yars’ Revenge screen and begin the loop all over again.
Yar (Fighter Spirit)
Yar (8-bit)
Qotile
Swirl
Asteroids, Ship, and Saucer (Asteroids)
The Claw (Tempest)
Centipede
Gravitar
Breakout
Tanks (Combat)
Missile Commander
Bently Bear (Crystal Castles)
Hero (Adventure)
Yorgle, Grundle, and Rhindle (Adventure)
Major Havoc
Tarra and Torr (Swordquest)
As old Atari games are not really known for their music, we took the list of Atari games we had been given the rights to and composed new music to fit both the original title and the atmosphere of battle in Smash.

D

Deleted member

THE SKY

But seriously, I'm good. Binge-watching tv shows because there's not much else to do right now. Also uploaded 2 more chapters of the story a friend and I are editing, as you already know. What's new with you?
Not a whole lot! Thinking about VO and hanging out.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I've been in a huge Danganronpa mood lately (with the 10th anniversary coming up and whatnot) so i wanted to do some crossover art while trying to emulate the art style, paticularely the "final muder comic thing".

I ended up with a really shady looking Roy...

Roy's our boy... Or is he ?...

Got lazy with the armor and i kinda messed up the lighting but i'd say it's a pretty good start, maybe i'll try to make my own smash murder case in the future : Waluigi was found dead and his enveloppe his missing, who could've possible done such an awful thing ?!
Or somehing like that.

Edit : Images are broken again, i'm keking into oblivion right now

Attachments

Last edited:

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
Just finished translating Sakurai’s Famitsu Column #603. His last line about being able to go outside and see the sun again hit me hard. Here’s the beginning of the thread on Twitter and the full translation as a spoiler.

Teleworking, in progress!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is a highly confidential project and should be well protected. However, while that doesn’t worry me, to prevent the spread of COVID-19, it is imperitive to encourage less contact between people. We absolutely should cooperate and survive together.

So far, our telework has been quite successful. There are many staff members who should be commended for their work. Of course, there is no time needed for commuting. Some people were commuting two hours one-way! Isn’t this more effective?

So, what are my first impressions of telework? First, the air is much cleaner! Busy offices usually have dirty air. The heater always made me sweat every day too. But, in your own room, you can be as comfortable as possible! You can control both the temperature and humidity.

Furthermore, there’s an advantage to seeing natural light. The office had many windows, but we had to close them for secrecy. Being able to see the morning and evening light from the sun is very pleasing.

The temptation to play or sleep is common. However, it’s not a big deal. When you have a job in front of you, your hands tend to continue working. It’s bad to keep people waiting, so it’s similar to quickly replying to email you receive, even if you’re commuting to work. I continue to reply to such correspondence and work, even until midnight. However, my break for eating a more consistent now, and I have any even better sense of time.

It’s been a process of trial and error to improve the current working environment. I oversee almost everything the team does, so the work they do is always pouring in. There are various things that need to be corrected, tools and other elements needed to support developers, however, right now, it’s just not possible to gather everybody together and explain like I could before.

Of course, the basic response is to simply respond via email. Inevitably, due to the complexity and importance of the information, the amount of words and responses grow and grow. That’s unavoidable, though, and if that’s all it takes, it’s really not an issue.

In some situations, it’s necessary to give live feedback. In a video conference, we can share our thoughts and opinions live. This feels outdated since we have to set aside a specific time to have such meetings. If you have a family with children, it becomes even more difficult.

I bought a microphone and a capture unit, and built a studio to play the game and assist in development live with the team. When I make a voice call, I show the video of the gameplay or PC I’m supervising, record it, upload to the server and have other team members download it. Although it’s a new system, it’s going over very well with the team, as it’s easier to see and hear what we’re working on, especially when compared to taking footage with a camera. We are continuing to research what works best and minimize file sizes to not waste bandwidth.

For the time being, we are proceeding without any problems, so far. However, we’re only developing DLC at the moment. For example, it would have been very difficult to develop Super Smash Bros. Ultimate early on if we were in this situation.

Beyond video games, many creators are facing difficulties. However, I continue to work hard, no only to increase the amount of free time to play at home, but also, of course, so when the threat of COVID-19 subsides, we can enjoy being outside in the sun once again.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Just finished translating Sakurai’s Famitsu Column #603. His last line about being able to go outside and see the sun again hit me hard. Here’s the beginning of the thread on Twitter and the full translation as a spoiler.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is a highly confidential project and should be well protected. However, while that doesn’t worry me, to prevent the spread of COVID-19, it is imperitive to encourage less contact between people. We absolutely should cooperate and survive together.

So far, our telework has been quite successful. There are many staff members who should be commended for their work. Of course, there is no time needed for commuting. Some people were commuting two hours one-way! Isn’t this more effective?

So, what are my first impressions of telework? First, the air is much cleaner! Busy offices usually have dirty air. The heater always made me sweat every day too. But, in your own room, you can be as comfortable as possible! You can control both the temperature and humidity.

Furthermore, there’s an advantage to seeing natural light. The office had many windows, but we had to close them for secrecy. Being able to see the morning and evening light from the sun is very pleasing.

The temptation to play or sleep is common. However, it’s not a big deal. When you have a job in front of you, your hands tend to continue working. It’s bad to keep people waiting, so it’s similar to quickly replying to email you receive, even if you’re commuting to work. I continue to reply to such correspondence and work, even until midnight. However, my break for eating a more consistent now, and I have any even better sense of time.

It’s been a process of trial and error to improve the current working environment. I oversee almost everything the team does, so the work they do is always pouring in. There are various things that need to be corrected, tools and other elements needed to support developers, however, right now, it’s just not possible to gather everybody together and explain like I could before.

Of course, the basic response is to simply respond via email. Inevitably, due to the complexity and importance of the information, the amount of words and responses grow and grow. That’s unavoidable, though, and if that’s all it takes, it’s really not an issue.

In some situations, it’s necessary to give live feedback. In a video conference, we can share our thoughts and opinions live. This feels outdated since we have to set aside a specific time to have such meetings. If you have a family with children, it becomes even more difficult.

I bought a microphone and a capture unit, and built a studio to play the game and assist in development live with the team. When I make a voice call, I show the video of the gameplay or PC I’m supervising, record it, upload to the server and have other team members download it. Although it’s a new system, it’s going over very well with the team, as it’s easier to see and hear what we’re working on, especially when compared to taking footage with a camera. We are continuing to research what works best and minimize file sizes to not waste bandwidth.

For the time being, we are proceeding without any problems, so far. However, we’re only developing DLC at the moment. For example, it would have been very difficult to develop Super Smash Bros. Ultimate early on if we were in this situation.

Beyond video games, many creators are facing difficulties. However, I continue to work hard, no only to increase the amount of free time to play at home, but also, of course, so when the threat of COVID-19 subsides, we can enjoy being outside in the sun once again.
oh Daddy SakuraI...like I was gonna enjoy the outside world in the first place

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Glad to know things are progressing smoothly and that they're nice and healthy. The work they're doing will allow us to not only survive, but thrive.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I see....

I'm just trying to come up with bosses for each series with a playable character in Smash, and Dragaux is really tempting to use for :ultwiifittrainer:.
I mean, sometimes you gotta just do what you gotta do. You could even do a Mii Fighter trio since Miis are the core playable characters in Wii Fit.

I don't know if Wii Fit and Ring Fit are... all that similar in gameplay, though? I mean, other than being kind of similar in genre. I.E. How Racing and Wrestling are a type of sport. But a bit closer.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, sometimes you gotta just do what you gotta do. You could even do a Mii Fighter trio since Miis are the core playable characters in Wii Fit.

I don't know if Wii Fit and Ring Fit are... all that similar in gameplay, though? I mean, other than being kind of similar in genre. I.E. How Racing and Wrestling are a type of sport. But a bit closer.
They both use motion controls so the game can register how you move while doing fitness routines. Wii Fit is like Shin Megami Tensei and Ring Fit is like Persona.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They both use motion controls so the game can register how you move while doing fitness routines. Wii Fit is like Shin Megami Tensei and Ring Fit is like Persona.
Ah. Yeah, either boss could work, imo.

Bosses can be a slight stretch. Roy literally fights Master Hand since they both debuted in Smash. It doesn't need to be too deep, heh.

osby

Smash Obsessed
...which are also two different series.

Still, Ring Fit Adventure is an outright RPG. I don't think it's really related to Wii Fit aside from being a spiritual successor.

Why don't you assign Galleom or Master Hand to fighters who don't have feasible boss candidates, like :ultgnw::ultduckhunt::ultrob:? It would make more sense than forcing a character from a different series.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Xenoblade DE comes out one month from today. I'm still not a fan of most redesigns because they end up looking weird, but Riki and Dunban ****ing prospered out of everyone who suffered. Reyn's eyes look weird, and Fiora's eyes are literally too far apart and/or too large. Sharla and Melia are fine, though.

D

Deleted member

Ah, a friend of taste.

Really was thinking of getting Sakura Wars, especially having wanted to play the series for seven years. Now I think I'll just wait for a price drop to £30 or so ($37).

Unfortunately my craving for food is back so my money is going to go down quick.
I've actually been meaning to get into the series for a while, even bought the first Saturn game a few months ago, though never got around actually playing it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
...which are also two different series.

Still, Ring Fit Adventure is an outright RPG. I don't think it's really related to Wii Fit aside from being a spiritual successor.

Why don't you assign Galleom or Master Hand to fighters who don't have feasible boss candidates, like :ultgnw::ultduckhunt::ultrob:? It would make more sense than forcing a character from a different series.
I suppose that's what I'd have to do, even if it feels a bit like admitting defeat.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm not going as far as to personalize it to the character, just the series. Otherwise there would be way too many. That's really my limit.
That's also why I suggested Mii Fighters. They're the closest thing. At best, just give 'em a good costume set. Could be one-off fun characters who aren't the protagonist(you never play as Wii Fit Trainer, but the Miis, but it's a stretch to call either ones antagonists or protagonists either). Like Sans for one. There's probably some others for Brawler and Swordfighter.

But yeah, I get what you mean. Series, not characters. Are you going to redo each Classic Mode's bosses, then?

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......

In a way reading this was insightful but also shows like how common in a sense some of this is and what it's like to work in these circumstances.
And being able to relate to someone whose work you admire in this shows how it all is and another perspective of what it's like to work at home

I may be a IT design student but the idea of working/school from home I just don't like. It's too relaxed and my family up at all hours is the main issue.

Also:

"Furthermore, there’s an advantage to seeing natural light. The office had many windows, but we had to close them for secrecy"

Honestly jump ramp the punishment for leaks instead. Health comes first.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That's also why I suggested Mii Fighters. They're the closest thing. At best, just give 'em a good costume set. Could be one-off fun characters who aren't the protagonist(you never play as Wii Fit Trainer, but the Miis, but it's a stretch to call either ones antagonists or protagonists either). Like Sans for one. There's probably some others for Brawler and Swordfighter.

But yeah, I get what you mean. Series, not characters. Are you going to redo each Classic Mode's bosses, then?
Not Ganon, Marx, or Dracula. But I definatley want a different one then Giga Bowser.

What if Rathalos was asigned to the "other" characters?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not Ganon, Marx, or Dracula. But I definatley want a different one then Giga Bowser.

What if Rathalos was asigned to the "other" characters?
That could work. Though I do agree using a few Smash OC's can also work.

Though only Roy(who debuted in Smash and had his own personality compared to his original game), R.O.B.(new Smash personality), and Mr. Game & Watch(technically a new character since there's multiple game & watches, but none called Mr. nor were they all able to do the same thing. Kind of a unique composite character) feel like they could work with the Smash OC's. The first one is still Fire Emblem, so that doesn't make a difference.

Also, I missaid that. I mean, are you going to re-setup who fights who in Classic entirely by series, or just some by series? See Roy above for someone who doesn't necessarily have to fight a FE boss.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I opened up Smash 3DS for the first time in a long while, just because someone asked me about the 3D port of the original Xenoblade.

Man, this ****'s a different ballpark from Ultimate. Some of the things I kinda miss, like Ike's Brawl voice that is superior in every way to whatever disgrace to my ears we have today, but damn it's cool seeing how things change. Everything's so slow man, it takes like 5 seconds for someone to die from a sky KO and then another five just for the Team Rocket animation to go on.

Hilarious to think about how 3DS really only had four legal stages.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Apparently the asteroid is set to fly by in two hours. Don't got a telescope though
god dam it, of all time for my telescope to not work
I've been in a huge Danganronpa mood lately (with the 10th anniversary coming up and whatnot) so i wanted to do some crossover art while trying to emulate the art style, paticularely the "final muder comic thing".

I ended up with a really shady looking Roy...

Roy's our boy... Or is he ?...

Got lazy with the armor and i kinda messed up the lighting but i'd say it's a pretty good start, maybe i'll try to make my own smash murder case in the future : Waluigi was found dead and his enveloppe his missing, who could've possible done such an awful thing ?!
Or somehing like that.

Edit : Images are broken again, i'm keking into oblivion right now
Sakurai: A body has been discovered

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That could work. Though I do agree using a few Smash OC's can also work.

Though only Roy(who debuted in Smash and had his own personality compared to his original game), R.O.B.(new Smash personality), and Mr. Game & Watch(technically a new character since there's multiple game & watches, but none called Mr. nor were they all able to do the same thing. Kind of a unique composite character) feel like they could work with the Smash OC's. The first one is still Fire Emblem, so that doesn't make a difference.

Also, I missaid that. I mean, are you going to re-setup who fights who in Classic entirely by series, or just some by series? See Roy above for someone who doesn't necessarily have to fight a FE boss.
Kind of both. The Zelda, Kirby, and Castlrvania series already have perfect bosses, so all Zelda characters fight Gannon, all Kirby characters fight Marx, Simon and Richter against Dracula. But the other characters from the other series each get a new boss that's actually from the same game as them.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo So, this is another odd request, but Bob is asking for more items I am having trouble with. Do you have any cardboard boxes? I need two, but none of my villagers moved in or left recently.

SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 saw you were thinking of giving each series a boss, I’m willing to help out, what have you gotten so far?
I'm also interested in helping with this.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 saw you were thinking of giving each series a boss, I’m willing to help out, what have you gotten so far?
Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo So, this is another odd request, but Bob is asking for more items I am having trouble with. Do you have any cardboard boxes? I need two, but none of my villagers moved in or left recently.

I'm also interested in helping with this.
Absolutley yes. I have a few ideas so far, Metal Gear Rex (piloted by Liquid) for Snake, Death Egg Robot for Sonic, M. Bison for Ryu and Ken (replaced by Akuma on higher intensities, just like Street Fighter), Sephiroth for Cloud, Dragonlord for Hero, and Gruntilda for Banjo. But I'm not set in stone on any other series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom