• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polan

Smash Lord
Now, here's a legit question I have: Cloud, a character from SE's most popular franchise, only gets 2 songs, a battlefield clone with hazards, a moveset that doesn't really rep FF the best, and no spirits besides himself. Meanwhile, Hero over here, from a game that's not as popular worldwide, gets 4 alt costumes, all who are different characters, a seemingly unique stage, a moveset that does a great job representing DQ, and probably more than 2 songs.

So what changed?
nothing changed, its just that enix > square

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
absolutely no-one: the dragon quest 4 protag is my favorite
Seem like we got lots of Mista fan out here.

All that said tho, it's sleepy egg time for me, sooooo, have a good time here, folks!

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I just realized that Nessa's name is probably a reference to Loch Ness.

Loch Ness Monster pokemon when Gamefreak? I mean aside from Lapras.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Now, here's a legit question I have: Cloud, a character from SE's most popular franchise, only gets 2 songs, a battlefield clone with hazards, a moveset that doesn't really rep FF the best, and no spirits besides himself. Meanwhile, Hero over here, from a game that's not as popular worldwide, gets 4 alt costumes, all who are different characters, a seemingly unique stage, a moveset that does a great job representing DQ, and probably more than 2 songs.

So what changed?
DQ has more influence in the genre, so they had to treat it better I guess.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Ok. So. Now that we know about :ulthero: and :ultbanjo&kazooie: and their release windows, what does this mean for speculation?

I’m convinced that this means no characters from any first party game Nintendo is releasing till winter. Sword and Sheild MIGHT still be on the table depending on how late into fall Banjo releases. But Fire Emblem, Daemon X Machina, and Astral Chain are definitely off the table. I’m also thinking that this confirms the common belief in an all third-party/all new franchises DLC lineup. My faith is still in Crash and a Dark Souls Character, but Travis Touchdowm looks pretty possible too. Just saying. He’s been a consistent request since Brawl. He’s certainly nowhere near as highly requested as Banjo or Ridley, but is certainly possible.
Travis was disconfirmed by his creator on the stream last Jan/Feb.

Shroob

Sup?
Ok. So. Now that we know about :ulthero: and :ultbanjo&kazooie: and their release windows, what does this mean for speculation?

I’m convinced that this means no characters from any first party game Nintendo is releasing till winter. Sword and Sheild MIGHT still be on the table depending on how late into fall Banjo releases. But Fire Emblem, Daemon X Machina, and Astral Chain are definitely off the table. I’m also thinking that this confirms the common belief in an all third-party/all new franchises DLC lineup. My faith is still in Crash and a Dark Souls Character, but Travis Touchdowm looks pretty possible too. Just saying. He’s been a consistent request since Brawl. He’s certainly nowhere near as highly requested as Banjo or Ridley, but is certainly possible.
I'm on board with the all third party camp.

A 4th Capcom character is all but confirmed to me at this point, and that character is probably Resident Evil.

D

Deleted member

GUYS OH MY WORD WE DIDN’T EVEN THINK ABOUT THE KIRBY HATS.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Can't wait until we datamine the game once Banjo comes out and we find references to Stop-n-Swop.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion

A 4th Capcom character is all but confirmed to me at this point, and that character is probably Resident Evil.
I'm not saying Resident Evil isn't likely, but I don't think it's good to start thinking that's what it probably will be when there isn't really much evidence for it. We don't want to create some sort of RE echo chamber.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

While all 3rd party DLC is pretty much confirmed and Capcom is likely to get another rep (not guaranteed)...

Why is Resident Evil suddenly a likely choice now?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I have to say, I feel really bad for Bowser.
View attachment 227489
Poor guy, he looked quite upset when he realised he wasn't the right Bowser.
It must have been so embarrassing too, especially since it was at E3...
I really loved this. It was nice to see 2015 era skits again. This continues t prove bowser isn’t a good dad that just wants to be a good family provider. How dare they take that away from him

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
While all 3rd party DLC is pretty much confirmed and Capcom is likely to get another rep (not guaranteed)...

because the obvious choice is wright and so the people rejected jesus's message

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

I'm cool with Crash, but I'd be happier with Spyro. Both are still good choices for DLC, and my big brother would be over the moon with a Dark Souls rep. Pity that Suda said that Travis wouldn't be in, though, it must bite for those fans.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I've been thinking about this for the past few minutes.

Of course they share the same dash attack and shield. They were the same person from the start.

I really loved this. It was nice to see 2015 era skits again. This continues t prove bowser isn’t a good dad that just wants to be a good family provider. How dare they take that away from him
He'll come back in a few months.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
As a huge ace attorney fan, resident evil is a thousand times bigger, more know and beloved, brings a just as fun moveset and reps a genre not in smash(granted so could wright, but the horror genre is bigger)

With guns on the table there really isn’t anything stopping resident evil from winning the Capcom wars

Shroob

Sup?

I'm not gonna pull a Scoliosis, but things have been taking a huge turn for RE lately.

RE7 and RE2Remake were huge hits.

RE3Remake is rumored to be in development alongside RE8, with RE3R using the same engine as 2.

Nintendo dedicating a good chunk of this Direct to "Hey look, we have (almost)all the RE games now!"

It's not 100% confirmed in the Capcom camp, but I'd say RE has the strongest chances.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
As a huge ace attorney fan, resident evil is a thousand times bigger, more know and beloved, brings a just as fun moveset and reps a genre not in smash(granted so could wright, but the horror genre is bigger)

With guns on the table there really isn’t anything stopping resident evil from winning the Capcom wars
These are the same arguments that were used for Steve over Banjo though. I think Banjo proves that more obscure series can still get in if they had the ballot support.

D

Deleted member

Grant Kirkhope is just a composer though, it's like the people asking Hideki Naganuma for a new jet set radio game
Grant was working on music for the game the same time he was telling people to not get their hopes up over Banjo and that he wouldn't even know if it was happening. It's pretty obvious at this point that Nintendo is fine with people lying about potential character inclusions.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Travis was disconfirmed by his creator on the stream last Jan/Feb.
Rats. Oh well. Guess it would be hard to make him fit the game’s image.

You know I don’t think we’ll be seeing any more from Capcom. I just don’t think it’s likely.

In my mind. The selection went like this.

“Well, we have two characters from most of our third party companies except Square Enix and Bandai Namco.”

“Square is saying they want to push Dragon Quest overseas. That could be something to look in to”

“As for Namco... hmm there are many options to consider. Let’s put a pin in that one. Are there any characters you’re specifically thinking about Sakurai-San?”

“Well, my fans have been asking me to include Banjo and Kazooie for years”

“That Old Rare game? Aren’t they owned by Microsoft now?”

“Yes”

“Haha. That could be interesting. Might as well do Crash Bandicoot while we’re at it. We’ll see what we can do. Anyone else?”

“Joker from Persona 5. I love that game to pieces”.

“Aaaah. Now that will generate sales! I can just imagine the buzz that will generate! I wonder if there are any other characters that would cause that kind of buzz?”

“We still haven’t decided on a Namco Character. How about something from Dark Souls?”

“Yes! This will all work splendidly! We’ll put in the calls to the other companies tomorrow.”

Shroob

Sup?
These are the same arguments that were used for Steve over Banjo though. I think Banjo proves that more obscure series can still get in if they had the ballot support.
Sure, but at the same time, ballot isn't everything.

Joker most certainly had 0 ballot impact and I doubt that Hero did either, imo of course.

If we go by Mii Theory, which, frankly is looking REAL likely right now:

We need a Capcom and Namco rep.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'm cool with Crash, but I'd be happier with Spyro. Both are still good choices for DLC, and my big brother would be over the moon with a Dark Souls rep. Pity that Suda said that Travis wouldn't be in, though, it must bite for those fans.
I love Spyro too. But he’s apparently never been very popular in Japan, where as Crash shad surprisingly done very well.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Sure, but at the same time, ballot isn't everything.

Joker most certainly had 0 ballot impact and I doubt that Hero did either, imo of course.

If we go by Mii Theory, which, frankly is looking REAL likely right now:

We need a Capcom and Namco rep.
How? We got one character that has been leaked to hell and back and one character that the fans have been asking for for decades. How does this confirm Mii Costume Theory?

Heck. SEGA is still missing costumes.

Shroob

Sup?
Rats. Oh well. Guess it would be hard to make him fit the game’s image.

You know I don’t think we’ll be seeing any more from Capcom. I just don’t think it’s likely.

In my mind. The selection went like this.

“Well, we have two characters from most of our third party companies except Square Enix and Bandai Namco.”

“Square is saying they want to push Dragon Quest overseas. That could be something to look in to”

“As for Namco... hmm there are many options to consider. Let’s put a pin in that one. Are there any characters you’re specifically thinking about Sakurai-San?”

“Well, my fans have been asking me to include Banjo and Kazooie for years”

“That Old Rare game? Aren’t they owned by Microsoft now?”

“Yes”

“Haha. That could be interesting. Might as well do Crash Bandicoot while we’re at it. We’ll see what we can do. Anyone else?”

“Joker from Persona 5. I love that game to pieces”.

“Aaaah. Now that will generate sales! I can just imagine the buzz that will generate! I wonder if there are any other characters that would cause that kind of buzz?”

“We still haven’t decided on a Namco Character. How about something from Dark Souls?”

“Yes! This will all work splendidly! We’ll put in the calls to the other companies tomorrow.”
We're missing....ALL the Capcom Mii outfits.

If Hero comes out and he only brings SE ones, well...

That'll be 2/2 of "Character coming out only brings costumes from their respective company."

I 'seriously' doubt they're just going to scrap really popular Mii outfits like Protoman, and from what we know, we're only getting new content from X.0 patches, aka character releases.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Just like how the banjo reveal made a callback to the K. Tool reveal trailer, I hope if we get a RE character that Luigi gets terrorized by monsters again in the reveal trailer.
He turns into a zombie and gets his brain blown out by Leon. Sounds pretty good.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I'm not gonna pull a Scoliosis, but things have been taking a huge turn for RE lately.

RE7 and RE2Remake were huge hits.

RE3Remake is rumored to be in development alongside RE8, with RE3R using the same engine as 2.

Nintendo dedicating a good chunk of this Direct to "Hey look, we have (almost)all the RE games now!"

It's not 100% confirmed in the Capcom camp, but I'd say RE has the strongest chances.
True.

But more games/presence on Nintendo consoles does not necessarily equal more likely for Smash.

Joker and Cloud are prime examples of that.

Plus you also have to keep in mind that Capcom did get another rep in the base roster, even if it's just an echo.

But still yeah, Namco and Capcom have the best chances of getting a rep, mainly due to Mii costume theory.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Except not really. Steve wasn’t really an unreppedw genre, and his blocky animations were pretty decent reason to not include him. He has importance but honestly so did banjo to a lot of people.

Minecraft is obviously bigger but I bet it shot it’s self in the foot because Steve would be hard to transition to smash.

Why Phoenix likely did well in the ballot, I would bet money that resident evil had more support. It’s a very casual but big franchise like Bayo. It is a very solid candidate imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom