• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Something tells me that we're getting a 3rd DLC pack in 2021.
Depends.

Certain 'Mons like Unown functionally can't.

There's also the fact that the Crown Tundra's map more or less finishes up the unused space in Galar's map file, so unless it's another Island like Isle of Armor, it kinda seems sus atm.

D

Deleted member

Pokémon DLC3: Sinnoh ported into SwSh as if It was Kanto.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
That seems to be the general consensus.

Granted, personally.... I really don't like the follow system in this game.

It feels like it was slapped in last minute with little care.
I'm 99% sure they just took the walk/run animationels from pokemon camp and just programmed them to follow you without changing their speed to match. I'd understand if they couldn't keep up with your bike, but some of them struggle to keep up with a run. There's also zero interaction with them.

As opposed to Let's Go, which made all 151 pokemon fast enough to keep up with you.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm 99% sure they just took the walk/run animationels from pokemon camp and just programmed them to follow you without changing their speed to match. I'd understand if they couldn't keep up with your bike, but some of them struggle to keep up with a run. There's also zero interaction with them.

As opposed to Let's Go, which made all 151 pokemon fast enough to keep up with you.
Don't even get me started.

In literally every game with the follow function, there's a cute little animation where they get recalled in the Pokeball if they need to disappear for a little bit.

Here? Nope, just vanish and then re-appear right next to you.

Oh, and let's not forget you can just kinda... awkwardly push them around and watch them glide across the ground.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
**** it, the nuzlocke isn't a nuzloke anymore. Two Pokemon would've died right before Kyurem, and I don't feel like grinding them for 25 levels. Plus, I really like the current team.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Seriously. Why couldn’t they have put routes in the dlc? Why did they have to just abandon a portion of players who like linearity? It’s just like how they ditched the “masculine, feminine, cool” tropes for the starters.

Shroob

Sup?
Seriously. Why couldn’t they have put routes in the dlc? Why did they have to just abandon a portion of players who like linearity? It’s just like how they ditched the “masculine, feminine, cool” tropes for the starters.
Aside from Gen 6 and 7, those barely had any precedent in the series. Unless you count Meganium as feminine, and that's a bit close minded to do so.

Gen 1: Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise

Gen 2: Meganium, Typhlosion, Feraligator

Gen 3: Sceptile, Blaziken, Swampert

Gen 4: Torterra, Infernape, Empoleon

Gen 5: Serperior, Emboar, Samurott

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
To answer the first part, it's because they promised us it would be an open area to explore, and also because the Wild Area is what a lot of the fans wanted, (or, rather, the concept).

To answer the 2nd part, they starters are still themed. The gen 8 starters for example are based on British Pop Culture: Cinderace is the Futbol player, Rillaboom is the Drummer (British rock bands), and Inteleon is the Spy (Like James Bond because he's British)

D

Deleted member

20200621_203130.jpg

20200621_202933.jpg

20200621_202622.jpg

20200621_201922.jpg

20200621_202351.jpg

20200621_202009.jpg

20200621_202015.jpg

20200621_195711.jpg

Took all of these in my phone some days ago.

Shroob

Sup?
To answer the first part, it's because they promised us it would be an open area to explore, and also because the Wild Area is what a lot of the fans wanted, (or, rather, the concept).

To answer the 2nd part, they starters are still themed. The gen 8 starters for example are based on British Pop Culture: Cinderace is the Futbol player, Rillaboom is the Drummer (British rock bands), and Inteleon is the Spy (Like James Bond because he's British)
That too. The starters of Gen 8 are all themed around very "BRITISH" things, and tbh, they hit the nail on the head if I can say one nice thing about Gen 8.

Rillaboom wouldn't look out of place in an 80's PUNK band.

Cinderace absolutely would kick a GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL for jolly 'ol England.

Inteleon is gonna ask Moneypenny about his tail that is secretly a knife.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

But they couldn’t have tried to make stuff for everyone in their audience instead of just the vocal part that wanted more wild area? I can’t be the only one who didn’t like the Wild Area at all and would have liked more routes. And it couldn’t have been that hard to just add in a toggle that throws up some walls and trainer battles and take away the dens. They’re the biggest media franchise in the world, and they choose to focus on only a part of their fan base instead of trying to give something to everyone like they did base game. They had the wild area, but if you didn’t like it you could ignore it and just go on a linear journey along the routes.

And all I hear is praise of it. Not a single person who’s disappointed. Not once have I posted these frustrations and someone said “yeah, I agree”. In fact, quite often on other platforms I get laughing emojis like it’s funny to want linear routes and like I’m a clown for not loving open worlds. And that is even more upsetting because it goes from me just not liking a game to me being alone. Which is 10 times worse.

And yeah. The starters are themed. But there are still two masculine ones and one cool one with no feminine one. So you’re out of luck if you prefer a feminine design for your starter. Your constant companion who is supposed to grow with you on your journey.

Shroob

Sup?
But they couldn’t have tried to make stuff for everyone in their audience instead of just the vocal part that wanted more wild area? I can’t be the only one who didn’t like the Wild Area at all and would have liked more routes. And it couldn’t have been that hard to just add in a toggle that throws up some walls and trainer battles and take away the dens. They’re the biggest media franchise in the world, and they choose to focus on only a part of their fan base instead of trying to give something to everyone like they did base game. They had the wild area, but if you didn’t like it you could ignore it and just go on a linear journey along the routes.

And all I hear is praise of it. Not a single person who’s disappointed. Not once have I posted these frustrations and someone said “yeah, I agree”. In fact, quite often on other platforms I get laughing emojis like it’s funny to want linear routes and like I’m a clown for not loving open worlds. And that is even more upsetting because it goes from me just not liking a game to me being alone. Which is 10 times worse.

And yeah. The starters are themed. But there are still two masculine ones and one cool one with no feminine one. So you’re out of luck if you prefer a feminine design for your starter. Your constant companion who is supposed to grow with you on your journey.
For your second part, I'm sorry but tough ****. I'm not trying to be mean, but that's just how it is. Besides, more people than not consider Cinderace the "Feminine" of the bunch, it's just your own personal hangup you've expressed in the past about sports. You 'have' a feminine choice in Cinderace, you're just choosing to turn a blind eye because "Sport guys"

And for the first part.... I mean, yeah. Like, I get where you're coming from, but routes are old, outdated game design leftover from old hardware. The world of Pokemon is just that, a world. It doesn't make any logical sense why soo much of it is forced into small hallways despite clearly more to explore in these areas.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
For your second part, I'm sorry but tough ****. I'm not trying to be mean, but that's just how it is. Besides, more people than not consider Cinderace the "Feminine" of the bunch, it's just your own personal hangup you've expressed in the past about sports. You 'have' a feminine choice in Cinderace, you're just choosing to turn a blind eye because "Sport guys"

And for the first part.... I mean, yeah. Like, I get where you're coming from, but routes are old, outdated game design leftover from old hardware. The world of Pokemon is just that, a world. It doesn't make any logical sense why soo much of it is forced into small hallways despite clearly more to explore in these areas.
I ended up going with Cinderace when I played it. Do I love Lola? Absolutely. But I still would have preferred something a little less butch. I mean, just look at the rest of my team (Hatterene, Gossifleur, Sylveon, Strawberry Alcremue, and Boltund) and you’ll see a pattern.

And I guess it doesn’t matter if people like something and find it fun even if it’s “outdated”? If every other game is doing something then your game should too, fans who don’t like it be damned?

Shroob

Sup?
I ended up going with Cinderace when I played it. Do I love Lola? Absolutely. But I still would have preferred something a little less butch. I mean, just look at the rest of my team (Hatterene, Gossifleur, Sylveon, Strawberry Alcremue, and Boltund) and you’ll see a pattern.

And I guess it doesn’t matter if people like something and find it fun even if it’s “outdated”? If every other game is doing something then your game should too, fans who don’t like it be damned?
Truth be told, I've rarely ever met anyone who didn't want a more open world experience in Pokemon before Sword and Shield, most people I know found the fact that the games were just A to B hallways to be boring and dull.

Even though the Wild Area failed in its first execution, in theory, the idea is what long time fans have wanted, an open world that feels like an actual world.

I'm gonna be straight with ya. In the strive for progress, those who refuse to change get left behind. I'd argue that more people have wanted an open world experience for Pokemon than not, and financially speaking, it makes more logical sense to cater to the masses than the small handful who like the old stuff, it's just smart business, especially since, people seem generally positive on the 'idea' of the Wild Area.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

With your second point, routes aren't outdated persay. However, the whole open ended Pokemon world is something that the fans have been hoping for since SwSh's initial announcement, and unlike the Nat Dex, this isn't a vocal minority saying this. Pokemon fans like exploration, and the next logical step is to open up the world, especially since this one is on a much more larger and powerful console.

There's a reason why they emphasized exploration for the DLC: it's what Pokemon does best (and because base SwSh was lacking within that department).

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Truth be told, I've rarely ever met anyone who didn't want a more open world experience in Pokemon before Sword and Shield, most people I know found the fact that the games were just A to B hallways to be boring and dull.

Even though the Wild Area failed in its first execution, in theory, the idea is what long time fans have wanted, an open world that feels like an actual world.

I'm gonna be straight with ya. In the strive for progress, those who refuse to change get left behind. I'd argue that more people have wanted an open world experience for Pokemon than not, and financially speaking, it makes more logical sense to cater to the masses than the small handful who like the old stuff, it's just smart business, especially since, people seem generally positive on the 'idea' of the Wild Area.
I wish I had never tried to get into Pokémon. I wish I had just ignored it. I patched into it because I thought I was gonna be able to go on an adventure making friends and growing with those friends. My campus didn’t allow pets, but maybe I would feel less alone if I came home and played with my Pokémon. Not to mention I was tired of feeling alone on here while everyone was gushing about fire emblem or Xenoblade and thought “hey, this looks cool, maybe I can actually contribute to these conversations instead of just doing little dances to get the attention on me for a while”, But then they cheat me out of an appealing starter and change the game so that I can’t enjoy it or the rest of the series going forward. I made it the bright light at the end of my dark tunnel, only for it to go out right as I reached it. If I had just not done that. If I had just ignored it. Then this wouldn’t be happening. I’d still be alone.... but I wouldn’t have put all the energy into Pokémon and I could have spent that time looking for something else... that I wouldn’t find because all the stuff that has big communities all do things that make me unable to get invested in them and I’d still be all alone.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Finally found the girl that trades A-Marowak for K-Marowak. Got meself an Adamant A-Marowak. Trained it up, threw an ability capsule at it and whatnot.

Friggin' stomping Zeraora now. It's kind of too late but it's still gonna be around for a bit.

Shroob

Sup?
I wish I had never tried to get into Pokémon. I wish I had just ignored it. I patched into it because I thought I was gonna be able to go on an adventure making friends and growing with those friends. My campus didn’t allow pets, but maybe I would feel less alone if I came home and played with my Pokémon. Not to mention I was tired of feeling alone on here while everyone was gushing about fire emblem or Xenoblade and thought “hey, this looks cool, maybe I can actually contribute to these conversations instead of just doing little dances to get the attention on me for a while”, But then they cheat me out of an appealing starter and change the game so that I can’t enjoy it or the rest of the series going forward. I made it the bright light at the end of my dark tunnel, only for it to go out right as I reached it. If I had just not done that. If I had just ignored it. Then this wouldn’t be happening. I’d still be alone.... but I wouldn’t have put all the energy into Pokémon and I could have spent that time looking for something else... that I wouldn’t find because all the stuff that has big communities all do things that make me unable to get invested in them and I’d still be all alone.
I think you need to do some soul searching as to why you have such strong hatred towards the concept of open world games tbh.

Because from where I'm sitting, this is far from a healthy outlook to have, and something tells me that open world games are the least of your problems, no offense.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
If open world isn't really your thing, check out the Pokemon spinoffs. Pokemon has some of the most high quality spinoff games out there, so there's something for everyone.

But if you want a more traditional adventure, try out the older Pokemon games. Those are far more linear, but they're a blast to play.

D

Deleted member

Another night without sleep.

Just gonna wait until anxiety kicks back in and I feel lonely so I fall asleep again due to a lack of interaction with anyone.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think you need to do some soul searching as to why you have such strong hatred towards the concept of open world games tbh.

Because from where I'm sitting, this is far from a healthy outlook to have, and something tells me that open world games are the least of your problems, no offense.
I want it to just be that I don’t think they’re fun and leave it at that. I want that to be where it ends and I just go on enjoying my linear games. But linear games don’t get made any more and the open worlds end up in games where they don’t belong. And because “everyone” likes them they end up everywhere. The fact that Crash 4 is linear is a ducking miracle. I mean, just look at all the games announced during the Series X and PS5 events. It can’t just be “I don’t like thing” because I’m the only one and everyone else gets to go on loving it and I get left behind and alone with no future and no friends. No one will like what I want to make so my entertainment career will be a flop. And I’ll never be able to meet anyone because there won’t be any common interests, so say goodbye to that family I’ve always known I wanted to have.

Thank goodness I’m talking to my psychiatrist tomorrow, I need to alter my medications again.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I want it to just be that I don’t think they’re fun and leave it at that. I want that to be where it ends and I just go on enjoying my linear games. But linear games don’t get made any more and the open worlds end up in games where they don’t belong. And because “everyone” likes them they end up everywhere. The fact that Crash 4 is linear is a ducking miracle. I mean, just look at all the games announced during the Series X and PS5 events. It can’t just be “I don’t like thing” because I’m the only one and everyone else gets to go on loving it and I get left behind and alone with no future and no friends. No one will like what I want to make so my entertainment career will be a flop. And I’ll never be able to meet anyone because there won’t be any common interests, so say goodbye to that family I’ve always known I wanted to have.

Thank goodness I’m talking to my psychiatrist tomorrow, I need to alter my medications again.
Have you ever tried playing Persona? Those games are as linear as you can get.

With Persona 4's pc port it's a good time to get into.

Although the worst part of the pc version is that someone ****ed up the anime scenes because they lag way too much.

Shroob

Sup?

I feel like there's a difference here.

In a game like Crash, there's no real reason for it to be open world, it's a linear platform game. You run from point a to point b.

In Pokemon, well, it's a world, where you're meant to explore. Have you ever gone to the beach? Now imagine if you weren't allowed to go to the water and were forced to stay on a path, where you couldn't even stick your feet in the sand... is that fun? If I go outside... I want to 'go outside' and not be limited to a little area. If I go in the woods to explore, then, I want to 'explore'. Forcing you on a path kills the illusion of 'exploration'. Pokemon has always been an adventure in the wild, you're trucking through the wilderness from town to town on a goal.

And honestly, that's the thing. Pokemon is, even with the wild area, still linear as ****. You have one goal that you can't stray from. Even if the Wild Area exists, you cannot fight the gyms out of order, and you MUST do the story.

Like, I'd get your argument about Pokemon, if it made sense, but outside of the map being 'big', Pokemon is still, and has always been, a linear as hell game.

D

Deleted member

Crap, there's no ham left for the sandwhich.

Gonna need to improvise the ingredients.

Edit: nevermind, there IS ham. My parents just put It in a place we haven't used for It literally anytime in our lifes without even telling me out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom