• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I like Batman but I've got to admit Justice League Batman has some of the thickest plot armor of superheroes. That's his super power.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Since the topic came up, now that I’m transitioning out of my internship (for stupid reasons), I have more time to work on my Paper Mario game ideas and I’d like to brainstorm some more ideas if anyone is willing to discuss with me.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah. Probably would have been best to leave that part out. I still think it’s a danger of these kinds of films, and I’ve covered many other reasons I don’t like the idea of villain movies in the past, but it’s not my primary concern.

What my main problem is is all the Bat-Pandering. Batman is my least favorite part of the DCU. And I hate that him and his supporting cast (to the point where we’re DC is in the early phases of Nightwing, Batgirl, DCEU Joker, Harley Quinn, Harley Quinn & The Joker, and Gotham City Sirens movies on top of this whole “dark universe” idea) get so much spotlight when there are so many other more interesting corners of the DC universe to delve in to. Not to mention the fact that they can never seam to get these movies right anyway. That’s the part that really has me frustrated.
I mean, to be blunt it's because Batman is so damn iconic of a character.

Ask any rando person if they can name at least 5 Batman characters and they'll be able to no problem. Everyone knows Batman and his rogues gallery.

Now do the same for Wonder Woman.

Or Aqua Man.

Or hell, Superman.

****, I thought that Solomon Grundy was a Superman villain until a few years ago.

DC puts its eggs into the bat basket because 'everyone' knows Batman and the characters around him.

I know Marvel took smaller franchises and took a huge risk but... if DC can't handle its own damn series, I don't have any faith in them with the smaller ones, and this is coming from someone who liked the Wonder Woman and Aquaman films a lot.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Batman is DC's most profitable franchise. By this logic, you should be mad that Nintendo makes so many Mario games and that Marvel makes so much Spider-Man content.

You can not like it, but literally every multimedia company does this.
..... I don’t get the point if this comparison. Marvel and Nintendo still devote a sizable amount of resources to other franchises and projects. Almost half of DC’s upcoming and in development movies are Batman related. There is very clearly a difference.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
..... I don’t get the point if this comparison. Marvel and Nintendo still devote a sizable amount of resources to other franchises and projects. Almost half of DC’s upcoming and in development movies are Batman related. There is very clearly a difference.
Alright then, what about GameFreak? They have other franchises. Drill Dozer, Little Town Hero, Pulseman to name a few. But almost everything they do is Pokemon related.

Shroob

Sup?
Man of Steel was bad, real bad.

Green Lantern was bad, real bad.

Wonder Woman I liked and am glad its getting a sequel, but I have no idea how well Aquaman did at the box office, and the less that's said about Justice League, the better.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Green Lantern was bad, real bad.

Wonder Woman I liked and am glad its getting a sequel, but I have no idea how well Aquaman did at the box office, and the less that's said about Justice League, the better.
Lol Aquaman is the highest grossing DCEU movie right now :yoshi:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Man of Steel?

More like Man of Murder.

2:34

It's at that moment when Godzilla in Legendary's MonsterVerse has more regard and respect for basic human life.

Also tfw Superman got more people killed in his film then Godzilla did.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Also that moment when you realize Superman (Man of Steel) got more people killed then Brandon Breyer did.

Whose the actual evil Superman now?

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870

What do you all think of this? For the record, it's not like Nintendo hasn't shown any support competitve-wise. They have Nintendo Versus, sponsered a couple of Smash tournaments like with Genesis 7 & Kongo Saga, and also made their own invitational tourneys with Smash as well as Splatoon 2 & ARMS.​
I love how Hbox spoke up about it, but nothing will happen because nintendo's too stubborn and uninterested when it comes to competitive smash, balance patches aside.
Cute pupper <3

Shroob

Sup?
I think the biggest thing about Marvel vs DC is... I just can't relate to most of the DC cast.

How do you expect me to relate with Superman, basically a god among men who has jesus symbolism thrown in his face every 10 seconds?

This is why I like Marvel better, 'most' of the Heroes are just.... humans. They're humans with powers sure like Bruce Banner or Peter Parker, but they're still just human. I can sympathize or relate with them, which probably has a lot to do with why Batman is so beloved by a lot. In a world with Superman, he's just a dude. A rich dude with gadgets sure, but.... a dude. Anyone can 'be' Batman, no one can be Superman.

GhostM

Phantom

What do you all think of this? For the record, it's not like Nintendo hasn't shown any support competitve-wise. They have Nintendo Versus, sponsered a couple of Smash tournaments like with Genesis 7 & Kongo Saga, and also made their own invitational tourneys with Smash as well as Splatoon 2 & ARMS.​
I agree with what hungrybox said. It feels like the competitive scene is missing the massive support from the developers, in this case, Nintendo. Every other fighting game competitive wise feels amazing to win a tournament, since the end results from winning the tournament with your skill pays off with the prize money you get. Don’t get me wrong, Nintendo has supported the competitive scene because most people don’t know that they support the behind the scenes portion of the scene. (Equipment for streaming, etc.) They don’t have to throw out massive amounts of money like a $3M prize pool money like what Fortnite did, but an increase in the prize pool money for some of the bigger tournaments would be a good start to begin with.

It would be cool for them to support the competitive scene, although from the current looks of it, they aren’t going to support the scene anytime soon. From a Nintendo perspective, they believe that people should enjoy the game rather than focusing on just the prize pool money. I don’t think that they would’ve ever thought that Smash Bros would ever have any sort of big tournaments.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
so our first ama for the upcoming batch will be:

and our second
Lighteni Lighteni (aka onereasonanddone)!

expect their ama's to drop next Thursday and Friday respectively

also, assuming the other peeps on the list have been dormant as of late, if you sign up now, you pretty much have dibs for the following week. That is unless too many people end up taking this offer lol

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I agree with what hungrybox said. It feels like the competitive scene is missing the massive support from the developers, in this case, Nintendo. Every other fighting game competitive wise feels amazing to win a tournament, since the end results from winning the tournament with your skill pays off with the prize money you get. Don’t get me wrong, Nintendo has supported the competitive scene because most people don’t know that they support the behind the scenes portion of the scene. (Equipment for streaming, etc.) They don’t have to throw out massive amounts of money like a $3M prize pool money like what Fortnite did, but an increase in the prize pool money for some of the bigger tournaments would be a good start to begin with.

It would be cool for them to support the competitive scene, although from the current looks of it, they aren’t going to support the scene anytime soon. From a Nintendo perspective, they believe that people should enjoy the game rather than focusing on just the prize pool money. I don’t think that they would’ve ever thought that Smash Bros would ever have any sort of big tournaments.
Probably doesn't help that Nintendo probably sees zero reason to support Melee when Ultimate is the product they want to sell still.

It's a cold business practice, but it's not without sound logic.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I like Batman but I've got to admit Justice League Batman has some of the thickest plot armor of superheroes. That's his super power.
The Batman from the Animated series has the thickest plot armor, he somehow lives to be 90 despite all the stuff he went through in life, even at 80 years old he was still a badass.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think the biggest thing about Marvel vs DC is... I just can't relate to most of the DC cast.

How do you expect me to relate with Superman, basically a god among men who has jesus symbolism thrown in his face every 10 seconds?

This is why I like Marvel better, 'most' of the Heroes are just.... humans. They're humans with powers sure like Bruce Banner or Peter Parker, but they're still just human. I can sympathize or relate with them, which probably has a lot to do with why Batman is so beloved by a lot. In a world with Superman, he's just a dude. A rich dude with gadgets sure, but.... a dude. Anyone can 'be' Batman, no one can be Superman.
The story isn’t about how strong they are. It’s about if he’s doing the right thing. The reason you have trouble relating to him is because most filmmakers don’t understand this and never depict the character correctly. The Jesus symbolism you complain about is actually really ****ing annoying to me as a fan of the character because it’s such a bad direction to go with him

I will also use a comparison I gave one of my professors. Superman isn’t the character, Clark Kent is. The stories are about retaining humanity and fighting for what’s right regardless of circumstance or what’s easier. Those are interesting concepts to tackle cinematically, heck most of the cartoons and animated movies seem to understand this and do it well.

Superman isn’t about “bad guy doing bad things, I don’t know if I’m strong enough to beat him”. It’s about an immigrant coming to terms with his heritage and using it to positively effect the people around him in his new home. Wonder Woman is about traveling to a new and unfamiliar place and trying to find your role in it. Flash is about an ordinary guy gifted with extraordinary powers who’s trying his best to maintain a normal life. Aquaman is about the burden of being a good king despite literally being an outsider to your people (like if Killmonger and Black Panther’s morality was inverted). Shazam is about the importance of found family and how that relationship is more important than blood ties. Martian Manhunter is a god damn refugee! Doesn’t all that sound interesting? Don’t those all sound like very human and relatable characteristics? Wouldn’t you like to see them explored on the big screen?

Shroob

Sup?
The story isn’t about how strong they are. It’s about if he’s doing the right thing. The reason you have trouble relating to him is because most filmmakers don’t understand this and never depict the character correctly. The Jesus symbolism you complain about is actually really ****ing annoying to me as a fan of the character because it’s such a bad direction to go with him

I will also use a comparison I gave one of my professors. Superman isn’t the character, Clark Kent is. The stories are about retaining humanity and fighting for what’s right regardless of circumstance or what’s easier. Those are interesting concepts to tackle cinematically, heck most of the cartoons and animated movies seem to understand this and do it well.

Superman isn’t about “bad guy doing bad things, I don’t know if I’m strong enough to beat him”. It’s about an immigrant coming to terms with his heritage and using it to positively effect the people around him in his new home. Wonder Woman is about traveling to a new and unfamiliar place and trying to find your role in it. Flash is about an ordinary guy gifted with extraordinary powers who’s trying his best to maintain a normal life. Aquaman is about the burden of being a good king despite literally being an outsider to your people (like if Killmonger and Black Panther’s morality was inverted). Shazam is about the importance of found family and how that relationship is more important than blood ties. Martian Manhunter is a god damn refugee! Doesn’t all that sound interesting? Don’t those all sound like very human and relatable characteristics? Wouldn’t you like to see them explored on the big screen?
I mean, that's my issue.

I've 'never' liked Superman because of the general image he gives off. He's 'too' perfect.

I don't want a perfect hero. I want a hero with flaws. I want characters like Peter Parker who can't just snap their fingers and instantly solve the issue.

And then DC has another issue is that a lot of people still think a majority of their heroes are still stuck in the Silver Age.

Before the Aquaman movie, anyone who wasn't a DC nut would tell you "Oh, the blonde guy who talks to fish?"

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
so our first ama for the upcoming batch will be:

and our second
Lighteni Lighteni (aka onereasonanddone)!

expect their ama's to drop next Thursday and Friday respectively

also, assuming the other peeps on the list have been dormant as of late, if you sign up now, you pretty much have dibs for the following week. That is unless too many people end up taking this offer lol
I wonder if it would be possible to do redux ama’s once everyone who wants one has done one. It will have been several years by then, I’m sure lots of people would have new things to say.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I know this is a jab at the MoS version of the character, but honestly I see Superman as a figure for what we as humanity should aspire to be. I feel like people have trouble looking beyond the powers and see that there’s his values, moral fiber and more that makes Superman what he is. There are stories like All-Star Superman and Superman for all Seasons that show his potential as a character and symbol.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Why are Yoshi games the only ones that dampen hype for people? That's so unfair :yoshi:
The Yoshi games might not be personally my thing, but I have to admit that the friendly atmosphere I have seen in them so far, plus the various fitting art styles are very nice. Maybe in the future I might give them a chance, who knows. Right now I am into titles that feel familiar to me, so, trying something like Yoshi might feel alien to me for a while until the day I get used to it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
And then DC has another issue is that a lot of people still think a majority of their heroes are still stuck in the Silver Age.

Before the Aquaman movie, anyone who wasn't a DC nut would tell you "Oh, the blonde guy who talks to fish?"
Yeah. That’s a little annoying.
I mean, that's my issue.

I've 'never' liked Superman because of the general image he gives off. He's 'too' perfect.

I don't want a perfect hero. I want a hero with flaws. I want characters like Peter Parker who can't just snap their fingers and instantly solve the issue.
He can’t do that though. This isn’t Pre-crisis. He’s not Alien X. The story isn’t about a literally perfect man, the story is about a man who’s cultivated that image to inspire people and trying to maintain it. Sometimes he fails. Because despite his immense power he’s still “human”. He’s not like Deadpool where his invincibility has made him disassociate from reality. He has wants and needs like any other person. Read some of the comics. Watch some of the shows. See the character at his best. Because your current opinion of him seams to be based entirely off of him at his worst. Like if I tried to judge the entirety of Star Wars based off just the prequels.

And if the premise i briefly outlined isn’t interesting to you because the character has nice hair and a clean costume, then the problem, frankly is with you.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I wonder if it would be possible to do redux ama’s once everyone who wants one has done one. It will have been several years by then, I’m sure lots of people would have new things to say.
maybe... idk. I'd say that's up to the staff

Like I'd say at that point, you might as well just reopen the original ama threads instead of starting a new one, but idk. They locked em for a reason.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah. That’s a little annoying.

He can’t do that though. This isn’t Pre-crisis. He’s not Alien X. The story isn’t about a literally perfect man, the story is about a man who’s cultivated that image to inspire people and trying to maintain it. Sometimes he fails. Because despite his immense power he’s still “human”. He’s not like Deadpool where his invincibility has made him disassociate from reality. He has wants and needs like any other person. Read some of the comics. Watch some of the shows. See the character at his best. Because your current opinion of him seams to be based entirely off of him at his worst. Like if I tried to judge the entirety of Star Wars based off just the prequels.

And if the premise i briefly outlined isn’t interesting to you because the character has nice hair and a clean costume, then the problem, frankly is with you.
^See, this is the issue, one even I fall trap to.

DC has done a terrible job spreading that image to the public's conscious. Everyone outside of the know still thinks of Superman like he's the 1980's movie version, aka "Boyscout".

Noipoi

Howdy!
Alright I did it. Took me hours, but I made a moveset for Dragapult.

091AF46D-547C-4FBB-A7F5-DF72020BC6C4.png

Here we go

Who is Dragapult? Well it’s a Pokémon from the Galar region. A Dragon/Ghost type creature who once roamed the sea in prehistoric times, but went extinct and was reborn as a spirit. It’s pastimes include shooting it’s babies out of it’s head.

It’s high speed and powerful physical offense make it one of the strongest Pokémon in Galar’s competitive, and a personal favorite of mine. Not much is known about its personality at the moment, so I had to improvise. This particular Dragapult is very haughty, looking down on others as if it views them as pitiful at the absolute best. Chuckling to itself with the wisdom of something that’s been around a couple thousand years and has seen a few things in that time. It’s got it all figured out, and it figures you’re a loser. The Dreepy in it’s horns however, are more childlike and filled with a boundless curiosity despite their weak forms. Even though their personalities contrast, they work in perfect sync with each other.

For it’s neutral attack, Dragapult will swipe the end of it’s ghostly tail left to right. This transitions to a rapid jab, where it whips the end of its tail back and forth.

It’s side A has it sweep it’s whole tail in front of it, letting the momentum of it’s previous run carry it a bit.

It’s down A has it lift it’s tail and quickly slam it back down.

It’s up A is a quick headbutt upwards. Those horns aren’t just for shooting.

It’s aerials are all maneuvers involving it’s tail, be it swinging downwards, upwards, forwards or backwards.
Dragapult grabs with it’s long tail, wrapping it around it’s opponent. The pummel has it squeeze it’s foe like a boa constrictor, over and over.

The forward throw has it spin around and toss it’s foe.

The up throw has it turn upside down, throwing it’s foe upwards on the way.

The back throw has it spin counter clock wise and toss the foe.

The down throw has it slam the foe downwards, pin them under it’s tail, and fire a dragon pulse right at them.
(Sorry for the crap doodles)

CADB1FC4-986A-48A1-B171-BA45BB7AD12E.png

Neutral Special-Dragon Darts

It’s signature move. When the button is pressed once, Dragapult will launch a single Dreepy. When pressed twice, it’ll launch both Dreepy forwards, one after the other. When the button is held down and the move is allowed to charge, Dragapult will launch both Dreepy simultaneously to both sides of it. Hitting enemies to the left and right.

BFBB49FE-3912-4351-AD06-F3EA3519ED9E.png

Side Special-Phantom Force

Engulfed in ghostly energy, Dragapult will rocket forwards across the stage. If it hits someone, Dragapult will disappear...and reappear facing the opposite direction! This could be used to damage and disorient enemies, dropping them in a completely different location while they’re still pressing buttons. It can be aimed as well. This move can only teleport one character at a time.

F4298B3D-6DF3-4DE7-8F3A-DF2881524159.png

Up Special-U-Turn

Dragapult will shoot upwards and quickly land back down a little to the right, resembling an upside down “U” shape. Anyone under Dragapult when it touches down will be pretty badly hurt.

433290C1-DC81-446B-B53C-D9FAD7653713.png

Down Special-Will o Wisp/Hex

This move is a two parter. At first, Dragapult will use will o wisp. Summoning a ghostly flame and shooting it forwards. If it hits someone, they’ll be afflicted with a burn. It’s basically the same as spicy curry. But here comes the next part, once someone on the stage is burned, will o wisp becomes Hex.

Dragapult will shoot some small spirit energy. If it hits someone who isn’t burned it does nothing, but if it hits someone with a burn...
C12A8E52-4B1A-4A48-833F-66AF5A7671DC.png

KABOOM! Massive damage! And they’ll be knocked out for a little while. It’s kinda like a more situational rest. The Hex moves slowly, so it’ll be tricky to hit the burn victim while they’re running around before the burn wears off. But it’s oh-so worth it.

701998D8-D804-4270-ADE7-6E832F0E38A4.png
Final Smash-Max Wyrmwind

Dragapult will Dynamax, and teleport to the background of the stage. It’ll use Max Wyrmwind, summoning a massive tornado of draconian energy across the stage. Sucking up fighters and doing big damage.
1AD137A0-5D46-4E2C-B577-E736AB76692C.png

In Dragapult’s up taunt, the Dreepy will whisper to it, and they’ll all chuckle to themselves. They’re probably laughing at you...

87A2525C-5BE3-485C-B2F1-B108EBE7545E.png

In the side taunt, the Dreepy will happily fly around Dragapult as it watches, content that the kids are happy.

1E43794A-49B0-45DF-BDAC-51D0FD2CFD89.png

in the down taunt, Dragapult briefly turns invisible before reappearing.
72155422-3B82-4F9B-B901-C984B552EAFD.png

Pikachu is minding his business while an invisibile Dragapult stalks him. Dragapult will jump scare Pikachu, scaring the crap out of him.

89F7813E-30DA-4C00-A666-9C53AADCD31A.png

Dragapult and the Dreepy will dance with eachother. Twirling around in the air and singing a little tune.

803B6410-2791-4EC1-851C-A22EF19FFDF5.png

Dragapult is having some trouble firing form it’s horns. The camera pans out just as it finally shoots and...Pichu was in there???

It’s victory theme would be a snippet of the Sw/Sh main theme. Which is the main Pokémon theme with the Hall of Fame theme mixed in.
Dragapult’s Alts are based on other pseudo legendary Pokémon. (I didn’t draw them sorryyy)

An orange alt with green horns and a tan tail, based on Dragonite.

A green alt with purple horns and a black tail, based on Tyranitar.

A light blue alt with red horns and a white tail, based on Salamance.

A dark blue alt with yellow horns and a red tail, based on Garchomp.

A Cobalt alt with magenta horns and a black tail, based on Hydreigon.

A light purple alt with green horns and a dark purple tail, based on Goodra.

And finally a grey alt with red horns and a yellow tail, based on Kommo-o.

Sorry Metagross :/

The Dreepy will also take the form of the Pokémon’s pre evolutions.
Dragapult would be a fast and strong fighter, with powerful yet kinda tricky attacks. It can be used by a new player just fine, but in the hands of a player who knows what they’re doing? It’s a force to be reckoned with. It doesn’t have that many jumps though, and it’s recovery can send it straight down off the stage if aimed incorrectly (like Incineroar).

Now, I think Dragapult has a real shot at Smash?

...pffft NO! It’s gonna be Urshifu or something, definitely not this ghost salamander with a big ass tail and stubby little arms. I did this for fun, and it’s that odd body shape that made making this so fun.

So yeah, there it is. Thanks for reading!
Wademan94 Wademan94 Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah! @Taylor F AndreaAC AndreaAC @JDCabrera MooMew64 MooMew64 PeridotGX PeridotGX ZephyrZ ZephyrZ ????????????? ?????????????

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
The Batman from the Animated series has the thickest plot armor, he somehow lives to be 90 despite all the stuff he went through in life, even at 80 years old he was still a badass.
Have you seen the Justice League cartoon? Batman should have died in the first 3 episodes because he gets left in an evil alien base or some comic book BS but he survives in completely unexplained ways.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
^See, this is the issue, one even I fall trap to.

DC has done a terrible job spreading that image to the public's conscious. Everyone outside of the know still thinks of Superman like he's the 1980's movie version, aka "Boyscout".
Dc does a terrible job at spreading that image because superman doesn’t make enough money. Superman doesn’t make enough money because dc hasn’t spread that image. It’s a comic ouroboros. And something needs to fall out of the model. Our only hope is if someone who actually likes and understands him can get their hands on the film franchise and for the movie they make to relate with people and spread into the public unconscious.

D

Deleted member

The story isn’t about how strong they are. It’s about if he’s doing the right thing. The reason you have trouble relating to him is because most filmmakers don’t understand this and never depict the character correctly.
Gatekeeping much?
or am I thinking of wrongthink idk

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
:ultfox:: “Falco, is it me or does Corneria look a bit different?”
:ultfalco:: “Don’t know Fox, but I see a Star Wolf ship inbound! Taking them down!”
(Proceeds to shoot down Yveltal)
:ultfalco:: “...I don’t think that was Star Wolf.”
:ultfox:: “Hey Falco, for some reason I don’t feel so good...”

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Supes is actually a pretty cool dude.

But I like Hal and Barry more.

If you don't know who they are by their actual names then you don't deserve the time of day.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Flash is great.

Never got into Green Lantern.
Green Lantern at its best is basically Cops in Space. It has all the trappings of law enforcement drama, just with weird alien rings instead of guns and batons. All the stuff about the emotional spectrum is interesting, but has mire to do with the philosophy behind the universe then day by day stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom