• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Geno, Banjo, K. Rool, and Ridley have been the four big ones for as long as I’ve been in the fandom. Anyone else, while for sure are great additions, are not the big fandom wants despite what the Waluigi fan base wants you to think.

Seriously, that fan base just popped up overnight when the ultimate e3 presentation happened.
This is revisionist history at best.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Geno, Banjo, K. Rool, and Ridley have been the four big ones for as long as I’ve been in the fandom. Anyone else, while for sure are great additions, are not the big fandom wants despite what the Waluigi fan base wants you to think.

Seriously, that fan base just popped up overnight when the ultimate e3 presentation happened.
2E5A8289-C02D-4E59-8672-991698E9777B.png

View attachment 259915
I have no reason to post this other than that it exists and needs to be shared.
This is a blursed image

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
i love how we ignored the notion of the tweet telling us that all characters are equal, by promptly bringing up why a certain character "deserves" to be in more than another in response

never change, Smashboards, never change

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
This is revisionist history at best.
Revisionist? It’s what I remember. I watched PBG’s reaction to the stream and they talked about Waluigi, then I was texting a friend and he went on about Waluigi, and then all of a sudden he was friggin everywhere all over Twitter and getting articles written about him.

Shroob

Sup?
Revisionist? It’s what I remember. I watched PBG’s reaction to the stream and they talked about Waluigi, then I was texting a friend and he went on about Waluigi, and then all of a sudden he was friggin everywhere all over Twitter and getting articles written about him.
There is no "Big X"

We've been over this.

As much as people like to try to say that Ridley, K.Rool, Banjo and Geno are this holy quad

People always conveniently forget Isaac
Or how K.Rool wasn't nearly as popular during Brawl

Or how Geno fell out of favor during 4

Or...

Etc etc

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
There is no "Big X"

We've been over this.

As much as people like to try to say that Ridley, K.Rool, Banjo and Geno are this holy quad

People always conveniently forget Isaac
Or how K.Rool wasn't nearly as popular during Brawl

Or how Geno fell out of favor during 4

Or...

Etc etc
Geno did not fall out of favor. The **** are you talking about.

And I don’t forget about Isaac. He’s just already an assist trophy. If he wasn’t I’d be saying Big 5. I’m not just being a biased fan girl, I’ve thought about this.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Issac and Bandana Dee:Are we jokes to you?

Shroob

Sup?
Geno did not fall out of favor. The **** are you talking about.

And I don’t forget about Isaac. He’s just already an assist trophy. If he wasn’t I’d be saying Big 5. I’m not just being a biased fan girl, I’ve thought about this.
Yes, yes he did.

Geno's support during Smash 4 times was at an all time low.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Ah yes, I remember "The Great WAHtroversty of 2018" before I joined this site back in 2019. (Sakurai doesn't deserve those death threats for Waluigi being a trophy again and Fire Emblem having Byleth.)

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I don’t know where you were then. But I did NOT experience that. The magical land where Cloud and Bayonetta had more people angry then hyped I guess.
I've been speculating since Brawl.

Geno's hype was as follows:
High during Brawl
Meager during base game
HIGH during dlc
Low as hell after the costume

Geno's only recovered due to this dumbass belief of a "Big 4/5"

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I've been speculating since Brawl.

Geno's hype was as follows:
High during Brawl
Meager during base game
HIGH during dlc
Low as hell after the costume

Geno's only recovered due to this dumbass belief of a "Big 4/5"
Ok. I admit to not being around for Brawl, or base game speculation. I didn’t get into smash till right before Smash4 launched, but he was always there. Every YouTube video I saw, every tweet with multiple character requests, every fan-poll trying to recreate the smash ballot results early. Always there and always consistently high. And to me, that matters more then “speculation”. I don’t care what people thought was “likely”, I care about what a lot of people wanted. And I saw nothing but consistent Geno requests.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think people were angry at Bayonetta for winning the Ballot. But I'm wondering why they were angry at Cloud?
He's "not Nintendo enough", probably. (Snake was hit with that a lot, and Ryu had similar complaints, though they were less common) Don't get me wrong, Terra or Cecil would be neat, but when people think of RPGs, Cloud is probably going to be one of the first characters that comes to mind for most people.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Ok. I admit to not being around for Brawl, or base game speculation. I didn’t get into smash till right before Smash4 launched, but he was always there. Every YouTube video I saw, every tweet with multiple character requests, every fan-poll trying to recreate the smash ballot results early. Always there and always consistently high. And to me, that matters more then “speculation”. I don’t care what people thought was “likely”, I care about what a lot of people wanted. And I saw nothing but consistent Geno requests.
During the Smash 4 dlc polls, yes.

I covered that.

During the Dlc, Geno got a huge surge of popularity, but after Brawl, his hype died off, hard.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think people were angry at Bayonetta for winning the Ballot. But I'm wondering why they were angry at Cloud?
They weren’t, at least where I was. I saw nothing but hype for Cloud. He broke the internet. But then I come here and people are like “people hated Cloud” and I’m like what? I swear, Smashboards has its own unique speculation ecosystem that doesn’t care about what people are saying anywhere else.

Shroob

Sup?
They weren’t, at least where I was. I saw nothing but hype for Cloud. He broke the internet. But then I come here and people are like “people hated Cloud” and I’m like what? I swear, Smashboards has its own unique speculation ecosystem that doesn’t care about what people are saying anywhere else.
I don't think anyone was mad at Cloud besides die hard Nintendo fanboys.

Bayonetta was MUCH more controversial.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
The notion of these "big" characters has kinda made me realize that this is really just a way to act as if you were entitled to their inclusion when they don't show up in the game, by putting them on a pedestal held up by supposed fan demand. And I say that as someone who has used that term in the distant past. It's lame.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
During the Smash 4 dlc polls, yes.

I covered that.

During the Dlc, Geno got a huge surge of popularity, but after Brawl, his hype died off, hard.
I guess I can concede to that. I wasn’t there so I don’t know. Like, my first impression of Smash 4 was “this game has Wii Fit Trainer in it, cool, back to Mortal Kombat”.

But whatever. As someone who’s opinions if smash and who’s popular were molded by the Smash4 DLC era, I know I’lll he contemy with Geno.

Also, Peanut Butter Gamer started the Waluigi movement day of E3, I don’t care what anyone says.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
There is no "Big X"
C4B3EBCE-20B6-4213-A0FA-9072992D5203.png
I don’t know where you were then. But I did NOT experience that. The magical land where Cloud and Bayonetta had more people angry then hyped I guess.
nobody was mad at Bayonetta until they got to find out how busted she was in Smash 4

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The notion of these "big" characters has kinda made me realize that this is really just a way to act as if you were entitled to their inclusion when they don't show up in the game, by putting them on a pedestal held up by supposed fan demand. And I say that as someone who has used that term in the distant past. It's lame.
Ok. Acting like your entitled to anything is wrong. But you have to acknowledge when a character is really popular among the fan base. Especially now that that’s a confirmed guiding influence on who gets in thanks to the ballot.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I don't think anyone was mad at Cloud besides die hard Nintendo fanboys.

Bayonetta was MUCH more controversial.
I can imagine some people were mad at Cloud because he was third-party and some people are offended by third-parties, for some reason.

I don't recall any controversy over Bayonetta at the time of her announcement. Almost everyone I saw was excited. The controversy for her inclusion seemed to be anachronistic after she began to top the metagame and people who initially liked or were otherwise indifferent to her began to hate her because she was OP.

That was when people began to develop conspiracy theories about whether or not she really won the ballot and if Sakurai was lying or not. But people weren't doing that when she was announced/released, as far as I saw.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Bayo's controversy was being the ballot character. People were kicking and screaming over wanting the actual results.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Bayo's controversy was being the ballot character. People were kicking and screaming over wanting the actual results.
Wasn’t big enough to cause many to hate her before she released. There were also problems with her having to be censored for the kids

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
nobody was mad at Bayonetta until they got to find out how busted she was in Smash 4
I recall people being mad when she was announced, though that was mostly because they figured that there was no way that she made it in through the ballot, and that [insert person's favourite character here] was clearly the real winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom