• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Some of you guys never had to wait 7 years for your favorite series to get a new mainline entry and it shows.
I did. Twice. Metroid and Mega Man. You guys will be fine.

From the Shantae thread.

FP5 might be a tag-team character Any ideas?
Kratos & Atreus.

Calling it now. Watch it be them. Sakurai the madman does it again!
I absolutely and truly doubt Sony's gonna play ball with having their characters on another system. At least Microsoft's been playing nice before. And the fact you didn't say Ratchet and Clank is more disappointing than anything else.

Although clearly this means Mega Man X and Zero will have MMX8 inspired movesets. Yep.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I feel like I need to premise this with the fact that I am NOT angry. Just a little frustrated. I am not yelling at anyone. I’m just trying to debate.
Tales is way more likely than Digimon.

I'm not even gonna touch Kratos lol.
I still don’t buy Tales. It might just be for personal bias. But Tales just isn’t likely imo.

Also, you guys are way too dismissive of Digimon. It’s basically just me and Graizen Graizen who treat the idea with anything other than “lol no”.

Also.... please don’t include lol when talking about potential Smash characters. It’s rude. I know my reasoning is circumstantial and probably insignificant. But you don’t need to laugh at me for it
SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 Say, what if Chell could make portals on the surface of the bodies of other opponents? Not saying she could, but it would allow for some fun surprise attacks, in my opinion.
I don’t necessarily know how that would work. In Portal it’s pretty clear that they can only attack to flat surfaces. So attaching it to other fighters probably wouldn’t work.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I got KoF 98. It's pretty cool, but the CPU is out for blood. Definitely something I'd play locally though. Terry and Heavy D! are the characters I like the most so far, but I already played Terry the most as is in the few SNK and CvS games I already played. Mai and Iori aren't too bad. I think Mai's easier to get an handle on. I need to get the timing on Iori's Rekka down, cause his other moves I kind of get already. Either way, I need more practice.
Huge King fan here. Try out King.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
From the top of my head...

Rex and Pyra
Chorus Kids
And...

...No, that's actually all I can think of. Any third-parties who would likely work as a duo character?
Plusle and Minum, maybe? I have no idea whey they would add them, but they would most certainly be a tag team fighter.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don’t necessarily know how that would work. In Portal it’s pretty clear that they can only attack to flat surfaces. So attaching it to other fighters probably wouldn’t work.
So sue me. It was just a thought.

By the way, I liked your little ide in response to what I said on the last page.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The character's main gimmick would be completely useless in a competitive environment, though, seeing as how stages featuring walls are typically frowned upon.
I’m sorry but **** that noise. I don’t know why people insist on taking out all the fun of Smash for competitive matches. It’s why we pick stages first now. So you can pick a character suited to whatever stage you get.

In my opinion. Final Destination/Battlefield matches with no items are really really boring.

D

Deleted member

Also, you guys are way too dismissive of Digimon. It’s basically just me and Graizen Graizen who treat the idea with anything other than “lol no”.
COUGH COUGH ME COUGH COUGH

In all seriousness, I think the reason why so many people are dimmivie of Digimon is because it could technically be considered an anime first, Video game franchise second.
you could make the same argument for pokemon as well, but considering we already have a ton of pokemon reps, not really the same thing.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Also friendly reminder that before terry the voice files had three spots left. Each hero alt took up a slot and that left 3, one of which is filled with terry.

if we assume that these slots correlate to the pass and not post dlc given their timing of being added;

Then fighter five has at least one alt and there’s a bonus non pass character or fighter five has 3 alts with different voices.
Just food for thought. He 3rd slot could be for an additional dlc character but it’s been there for awhile so I would bet that post dlc is u likely unless it’s a bonus rep not dealing with the additional dlc or it’s fighter five

Shroob

Sup?
If it is gonna be revealed at TGAs next month, I just have to wonder what kind of character would make sense for an event like that.

Like, Joker made a lot of sense. His game was vomited with awards, but at the same time, I couldn't see someone more obscure being revealed at a place like that.

You'd imagine someone like Doom Slayer(rip), Chosen Undead/Solaire, Steve, or Jill Valentine, imo at least.

D

Deleted member

In my opinion. Final Destination/Battlefield matches with no items are really really boring.
Alright, THIS I disagree with.
The way I see it, I hate the randomness of having items on at all, and I turn everything to Omega, with random pick, because that's fun.
getting the win because you happened to luck out on broken items(or a FS) is super boring, IMO.

StormC

Smash Hero
I still don’t buy Tales. It might just be for personal bias. But Tales just isn’t likely imo.

Also.... please don’t include lol when talking about potential Smash characters. It’s rude. I know my reasoning is circumstantial and probably insignificant. But you don’t need to laugh at me for it
I'm not laughing at you for it. "lol" is a modifier used on the internet to express a lighthearted sentiment behind the text. I can't even entertain the possibility of a Sony character in Smash, let alone Kratos.

As for Tales, it's already been represented with a Mii Costume in Smash 4, with Sakurai saying Lloyd would be the obvious choice for a Tales character. It's a series with decades of history and is one of Namco's flagship franchises. It's as much on the table as any of them.

I'm a huge Digimon fan but the games have never been anything special and in a crossover celebrating gaming, doesn't make a ton of sense to put in when globally it's most famous and renowned for its anime series.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I’m sorry but **** that noise. I don’t know why people insist on taking out all the fun of Smash for competitive matches. It’s why we pick stages first now. So you can pick a character suited to whatever stage you get.

I'm not saying that characters should be exclusively built around a competitive mindset, but it's preferable for Smash to continue catering to both the casual and hardcore crowd when designing one.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Alright, now that I don't have to go to work for a few days, I'm gonna give Dark Souls a go. Gonna try to use the Bandit class and see how it goes.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Hey, can any of you tell me why you dislike SSB4?
I don't. If it wasn't for Ultimate upstaging it in terms of mechanics and roster, it'd still be my favorite. It gave me my main with Mega Man, and honestly, I had A LOT of fun playing matches online. Best time of the game for me was when Ryu dropped. I kept body-bagging people with him and Mega Man. Best part was playing 2v2 matches with another Mega Man player while I was Ryu. Pretty much won all our matches too.

:4megaman::4ryu:WE WERE THE CAPCOM BOYZ! HANDING OUT FREE BODY BAGS! :4ryu::4megaman:

I want to play more matches like that now that we have characters like Ridley and Terry. But I'm also a cheap ass who doesn't want to pay for Nintendo's subpar online just yet.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
The character's main gimmick would be completely useless in a competitive environment, though, seeing as how stages featuring walls are typically frowned upon.
Aside from the existence of stages like Kalos League that have walls on the sides (IDK how the portal would look attached to the side of it since it’s curved, but it’s functionally still a wall,) they could also be placed on the top or the underside of soft platforms, allowing you to travel from the floor of the stage to the uppermost platform in an instant (or knock an opponent in to them to kill them off the top way earlier.)

...I do think it might be a bit too gimmicky to be super practical, but it’s still fun to think about it.

StormC

Smash Hero
Hey, can any of you tell me why you dislike SSB4?
I didn't dislike it, I put 200 hours into it between 3DS and Wii U, but I was disappointed with the choices behind the roster (not just the characters chosen, but the movesets were too unwieldy for me for newcomers - I couldn't settle on a main until Cloud came out) and how the content was spread out across two versions, along with the lack of meaningful single player content.

Also meta was way too shield-heavy and defensive. Shields for days.

It was a very necessary building block to Ultimate, but just in terms of "why play this over any other Smash game," I think it ranks the lowest.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm just glad that, while we may know who it isnt

We still don't know who it is.

We're still able to have conversations like this without pretty much unanimously agreeing it's one specific character for over a month.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ

We're still able to have conversations like this without pretty much unanimously agreeing it's one specific character for over a month.
At the same time, knowing who it ISN'T, is pretty disappointing.

Doomguy would of been amazing, but hopefully the next pass gives him a chance.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'm not laughing at you for it. "lol" is a modifier used on the internet to express a lighthearted sentiment behind the text. I can't even entertain the possibility of a Sony character in Smash, let alone Kratos.

As for Tales, it's already been represented with a Mii Costume in Smash 4, with Sakurai saying Lloyd would be the obvious choice for a Tales character. It's a series with decades of history and is one of Namco's flagship franchises. It's as much on the table as any of them.

I'm a huge Digimon fan but the games have never been anything special and in a crossover celebrating gaming, doesn't make a ton of sense to put in when globally it's most famous and renowned for its anime series.
I had never even heard of Tales before I got into Smash. I had heard of Tekken. I had heard of Dark Souls. I had heard of Digimon. I don’t think it’s as big as you’re making it out to be.

Also, by that logic, characters like Geralt or Turok should be eligible because they’re more known for their games then anything else. Pokémon and Digimon are historic rivals, it started as a gaming franchise so it’s eligible, and it’s Namco’s 2nd most popular franchise (please back me up Graizen Graizen ). It makes a lot of sense, to me at least.

I'm not saying that characters should be exclusively built around a competitive mindset, but it's preferable for Smash to continue catering to both the casual and hardcore crowd when designing one.
Chell would be fun. The gimmick of movement combos would be fun to use and play as. And keep in mind, plenty of characters on the roster never show up in tournament settings.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If it is gonna be revealed at TGAs next month, I just have to wonder what kind of character would make sense for an event like that.

Like, Joker made a lot of sense. His game was vomited with awards, but at the same time, I couldn't see someone more obscure being revealed at a place like that.

You'd imagine someone like Doom Slayer(rip), Chosen Undead/Solaire, Steve, or Jill Valentine, imo at least.
We had this discussion earlier, but the list I compiled was this:

Leon Kennedy
Ezio Auditore
Heihachi
Lloyd
Phoenix Wright
Dante
2B
Dark Souls

It's a pretty interesting discussion to be had. I think the bigger pop-offs at TGA would belong to Leon, Dante, Ezio or 2B, but I think Dark Souls is a sleeper pick. Ezio and 2B are sleeper picks too, but I don't think we'd get two Square Enix picks in the same pass, so I guess I'd rule 2B out.

Not like Lloyd or Heihachi wouldn't get a reaction, but I don't think it'd be as big. Same as Phoenix Wright. To be honest though, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those picks.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
All my money on Namco to be blunt.

We may just have some mii costumes gone forever like Megamax EXE or Monster Hunter, but no one can tell me it's not bizarre that we've still yet to get any of the previous Namco costumes

Especially when we got a bundle of ones that appeared in Fighting Games last set yet Heihachi was missing but we got Akira, who has nothing to do with SNK.
I'd honestly be very surprised if we didn't get MegaMan EXE or Monster Hunter back. Mega Man EXE from what I understand has been a pretty popular interpretation of the character and Monster Hunter is a series that has grown larger since the Smash 4 days and there are many who loved the costumes and want to seem the return. Plus both franchises are on board already with Mega Man already in the game and MH having a small presence with Rathalos, so them being absent would be pretty strange since all the ingredients for their return should be there.

Then again, I think any of the costumes aside from maybe the SE ones (due to potential intercompany politics) being MIA would be rather strange. So no matter what there's going to be an oddity with them.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

I’m pretty tired of it tbh. It’s not fun anymore. It’s pretty telling that at this point, most fighting games reveal all or most of their characters up front. And Nintendo is the only one that has us go into a pass completely blind. And then they drag out the reveals over long periods of time with no trades, no hints, no nothing. Just radio silence. It’s frustrating.

Next pass, just reveal all 5 up front they way NRS does or how Capcom handled SFVS3. In a cinematic.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I feel like I need to premise this with the fact that I am NOT angry. Just a little frustrated. I am not yelling at anyone. I’m just trying to debate.

Hey, I have Agumon in my top 5 every time it comes up.

StormC

Smash Hero
I had never even heard of Tales before I got into Smash. I had heard of Tekken. I had heard of Dark Souls. I had heard of Digimon. I don’t think it’s as big as you’re making it out to be.
Tales is popular mostly in Japan (Symphonia was the series' breakout hit in the west), but the series has 20 million units sold, which as much as Castlevania and more than Persona, so if you hadn't heard of it, that's probably on you. They even debuted a new Tales game at E3 this year. It's definitely not some obscure little JRPG series. We're not talking about Ys here.

Also, by that logic, characters like Geralt or Turok should be eligible because they’re more known for their games then anything else. Pokémon and Digimon are historic rivals, it started as a gaming franchise so it’s eligible, and it’s Namco’s 2nd most popular franchise (please back me up Graizen Graizen ). It makes a lot of sense, to me at least.
I'm not saying Digimon wouldn't be eligible. I'm saying Sakurai probably wouldn't pick it because the popularity of the IP and what it's renowned for is not tied to its video games, which is what Sakurai wants to celebrate in Smash.

Also, the Pokemon/Digimon rivalry was only really a thing in America, and short lived for a couple of years. Again, I am a massive Digimon fan. I'm staring at my MegaloGrowmon figure on my shelf as I type this. But I really don't think a series most people know as an anime is going to be in Smash when the games have failed to make any significant cultural impact (Pokemon's games and anime have been equally impactful).

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Also friendly reminder that before terry the voice files had three spots left. Each hero alt took up a slot and that left 3, one of which is filled with terry.

if we assume that these slots correlate to the pass and not post dlc given their timing of being added;

Then fighter five has at least one alt and there’s a bonus non pass character or fighter five has 3 alts with different voices.
Just food for thought. He 3rd slot could be for an additional dlc character but it’s been there for awhile so I would bet that post dlc is u likely unless it’s a bonus rep not dealing with the additional dlc or it’s fighter five
So it's Jill with Leon as an alt? Aight bet. I guess Monster Hunter could also be it if they split the character between Male and Female versions. Or something like Gray/Ashe from MMZX. There aren't a ton of characters off the top of my head other than splitting the Sexes that would require two voices. And if Banjo and Kazooie share the same voice files, it's probably isn't a duo character like them right?

That does kind of rock doesn't it? I do kind of wish that Nintendo didn't show the SNK trademark early though. Cause Terry's reveal would have been even better.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

Alright, THIS I disagree with.
The way I see it, I hate the randomness of having items on at all, and I turn everything to Omega, with random pick, because that's fun.
getting the win because you happened to luck out on broken items(or a FS) is super boring, IMO.
I like both.

On the one hand, playing on Battlefield/Omega forms with no items is fun when you want to have a match intently focused on you and the other players with nothing else getting in the way. Some of my most fun matches have been between my brothers and I playing with no items or stage hazards, just duking it out.

On the other hand, doing that and only that all the time is boring to me. I grew up playing Smash with items enabled on whatever stages I happened to like, competitive or not. Seeing nothing but the same format with nothing else going on gets boring after a while, especially when the game is capable of so much more.

A lot of my time with Smash in the latter half of this year has just been playing against random Level 9 CPU's on random stages with items and hazards on just for fun. Hell, I just remembered I put together a modest video montage of some fun moments I had while doing so. Just goofy or cool moments, like when I sniped a Smash Ball from across the stage and then grabbed the enemy so a Bewear could uppercut them, or when Shovel Knight and Richter's whip hit Snake at the same time and just delete him. I find all that to be just as much fun as with no items.

Variety is the spice of life, so they say.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
One thing I will say about Smash 4 is that in my opinion, it had the most hype release cycle.
No way, it's gotta be Brawl.

All three of you that can remember this know the DOJO will always be the goat.

Characters nearly every week, baby.

Of course you have to look past that year that nothing happened.

Shroob

Sup?
We had this discussion earlier, but the list I compiled was this:

Leon Kennedy
Ezio Auditore
Heihachi
Lloyd
Phoenix Wright
Dante
2B
Dark Souls

It's a pretty interesting discussion to be had. I think the bigger pop-offs at TGA would belong to Leon, Dante, Ezio or 2B, but I think Dark Souls is a sleeper pick. Ezio and 2B are sleeper picks too, but I don't think we'd get two Square Enix picks in the same pass, so I guess I'd rule 2B out.

Not like Lloyd or Heihachi wouldn't get a reaction, but I don't think it'd be as big. Same as Phoenix Wright. To be honest though, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those picks.
2B would be very cool, but I'm very nervous because

>Square

I'm also a bit cautious since apparently CERO has a fit about upskirts.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Tales is popular mostly in Japan (Symphonia was the series' breakout hit in the west), but the series has 20 million units sold, which as much as Castlevania and more than Persona, so if you hadn't heard of it, that's probably on you. They even debuted a new Tales game at E3 this year. It's definitely not some obscure little JRPG series. We're not talking about Ys here.

I'm not saying Digimon wouldn't be eligible. I'm saying Sakurai probably wouldn't pick it because the popularity of the IP and what it's renowned for is not tied to its video games, which is what Sakurai wants to celebrate in Smash.

Also, the Pokemon/Digimon rivalry was only really a thing in America, and short lived for a couple of years. Again, I am a massive Digimon fan. I'm staring at my MegaloGrowmon figure on my shelf as I type this. But I really don't think a series most people know as an anime is going to be in Smash when the games have failed to make any significant cultural impact (Pokemon's games and anime have been equally impactful).
I’m sorry but that just doesn’t make sense. You say they’re not ineligible but then your reasoning explains why Sakurai wouldn’t consider them eligible. And again. If that’s how it works for Digimon, then Geralt and Turok are real possible candidates. Because people think of them more for their games, which is what Sakurai wants to celebrate. It’s one or the other. It can’t be both. Either Digimon is eligible or those two are.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero

Brawl Dojo hype was the best, not just because of the site itself, but because speculation was truly the wild west, it felt like anything could happen, and we were young and innocent, not old and jaded. The tension of a Dojo update regarding whether or not we would get a character was amazing.

Brawl might have been a mixed bag, but the hype cycle was 10/10 amazing.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master

I miss the days where I would get up in the morning, check the Dojo, call my friend to see if he saw it yet, then go to school and talk about it all day.

Lead ups on games these days aren't as much fun.

StormC

Smash Hero
I’m sorry but that just doesn’t make sense. You say they’re not ineligible but then your reasoning explains why Sakurai wouldn’t consider them eligible. And again. If that’s how it works for Digimon, then Geralt and Turok are real possible candidates. Because people think of them more for their games, which is what Sakurai wants to celebrate. It’s one or the other. It can’t be both. Either Digimon is eligible or those two are.
Eligible =/= likely

I'm not disagreeing that Digimon would count as a video game series under Sakurai's rules. I'm saying I don't think the legacy of the games is enough to warrant consideration, especially when other Namco video game series are more storied and have a bigger legacy within the game industry itself.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So it's Jill with Leon as an alt? Aight bet. I guess Monster Hunter could also be it if they split the character between Male and Female versions. Or something like Gray/Ashe from MMZX. There aren't a ton of characters off the top of my head other than splitting the Sexes that would require two voices. And if Banjo and Kazooie share the same voice files, it's probably isn't a duo character like them right?

That does kind of rock doesn't it? I do kind of wish that Nintendo didn't show the SNK trademark early though. Cause Terry's reveal would have been even better.
i do think Jill and Leon make sense.

Phoenix and Apollo or Edgeworth would work and be pretty cool.

Kazooie doesn’t have separate voice files correct. So it’s gotta be a character with two alts like robin to ha e two separate voices. Otherwise fighter five could have one character and voice and we get a separate fighter to fill the 3rd slot.

I’m leaning more towards fighter five have two different characters and voices to the slot

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Brawl Dojo hype was the best, not just because of the site itself, but because speculation was truly the wild west, it felt like anything could happen, and we were young and innocent, not old and jaded. The tension of a Dojo update regarding whether or not we would get a character was amazing.

Brawl might have been a mixed bag, but the hype cycle was 10/10 amazing.
Wish there was a way to do that here. But there aren’t enough characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom