• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Now wait, if the voice thing does matter in the end, maybe Layton is playable and his daughter is an alt costume. Or Phoenix Wright and his alt is Apollo Justice. I think it's an interesting thing to think about if this voice files situation is like Z25 Z25 mentioned and the last character requires 2. There's also KOS-MOS and Tel-Os, who kind of have a Mega Man and Bass dynamic. It probably isn't a big deal, but it's something to think about.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I can't believe this Dunkey video is actually a serious summary of the Metal Gear Solid series.

And he didn't even mention the craziness of Metal Gear Rising!

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
No way, it's gotta be Brawl.

All three of you that can remember this know the DOJO will always be the goat.

Characters nearly every week, baby.

Of course you have to look past that year that nothing happened.
I still remember waking up and seeing sonic and Pokémon trainer. Those inclusions were so hype for me

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Wish there was a way to do that here. But there aren’t enough characters.
They could’ve done that if they didn’t spoil Everyone is Here all at once. Imagine if we had to piece it together ourselves that literally everyone returned over the course of months...

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Brawl was such a roller coaster in retrospect. First we got the E3 trailer which revealed five new characters plus the four mainstays, then nothing aside from Fox for an entire year. Then they started the Dojo up and it was back to back characters for a good few months concluding with Sonic of all reveals, then the delay happened and it tanked with more forgettable updates until we got about less then a month from the Japanese release.

With that said, I still have a lot of fun memories of that period. There were a lot of dead moments where news was sparse, but the times where news was constant were some of the best times to be a speculator since it was very exciting to wake up and see what new detail came out.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Verg says it's not Doomslayer, Geno, Hyabusa or Scorpion.

We're back to square 1.
Ah. Well if he's crushing hopes and dreams someone ask him if Phoenix, Lloyd, 2B, Sora, Dante, RE rep, or Heihachi are in. Surely THAT will bring us down even more so.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Digimon has had a impact on gaming, no question there, but I feel like we'd be adding a rep just for the sake of acknowledging that its rivalry with Pokemon is similar to what Mario and Sonic had. In other words, it was massively popular until Pokemon became the clear winner and people gradually shifted from Digimon to the latter.

If we're gonna add a third-party just for the sake of their importance in gaming culture. I'd rather add something that's either stayed a massive success for several years (Minecraft) or is a bit new but still wildly popular today (Fortnite). Regardless of whether or not you like these two series, you can't deny that they both have a huge influence in the world of gaming.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Eligible =/= likely

I'm not disagreeing that Digimon would count as a video game series under Sakurai's rules. I'm saying I don't think the legacy of the games is enough to warrant consideration, especially when other Namco video game series are more storied and have a bigger legacy within the game industry itself.
If I may...
Masahiro Sakurai said:
Whether or not the character is fun to play as is more important than whether the character is new or old. Or whether the character is recognizable to everyone.
That’s how I see it. Augumon is a gaming character who is very popular and would be fun to play. Arguing legacy and relevance is pointless.

I know that doesn’t Square with what I said earlier about Tales. I don’t know what it is. I just... don’t see it. But I acknowledge they’re likely at least. I suppose.
i do think Jill and Leon make sense.

Phoenix and Apollo or Edgeworth would work and be pretty cool.

Kazooie doesn’t have separate voice files correct. So it’s gotta be a character with two alts like robin to ha e two separate voices. Otherwise fighter five could have one character and voice and we get a separate fighter to fill the 3rd slot.

I’m leaning more towards fighter five have two different characters and voices to the slot
Or it could be a fighter with an echo fighter. Or more likely all the slots don’t need to get filled up because it’s literally just spaces of the menue which they are not obliged to fill up, just look at the post pass CSS.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Verg says it's not Doomslayer, Geno, Hyabusa or Scorpion.

We're back to square 1.
He never said it wasn't Sub-Zero.

Trailer, Terry and Ryu are fighting. Suddenly, in the distance......~Whoooooooooooooaaaa! Chinese Ninja Warrior! With your heart soooo coooold! Sub-Zeeeeerroooooooo! Whoooooooooaaaa! Your life is a mystery! WARRIOR WITH A MASK! SUB-ZEEEEEROOOOOOO!~

Sub-Zero Puts the Competition on Ice!

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
They could’ve done that if they didn’t spoil Everyone is Here all at once. Imagine if we had to piece it together ourselves that literally everyone returned over the course of months...
Oh god no. That would be even worse! I want the characters revealed more quickly. I’m not in it for mystery or surprise.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I’d say those fit better as a :ultwiifittrainer::ultwiifittrainerm: or :ultolimar::ultalph: scenario.

And they’d probably work better as one being an echo of the other.
Chris & Jill have wayyyyyy too much different build to ever work as echo for the other, even if their moveset aren't that physical, they still need to match the same hurtbox.

StormC

Smash Hero
If I may...

That’s how I see it. Augumon is a gaming character who is very popular and would be fun to play. Arguing legacy and relevance is pointless.
That quote has been constantly misrepresented. The whole quote is...

Not just means it is not MORE important that a character has a big legacy than being fun. It doesn't mean having a legacy ISN'T important.

Not every character that can be fun to play as is going to get in. Choices have to be made and characters are prioritized. Agumon is facing incredibly tough competition from other Namco characters. Agumon is popular because of a spin-off media that's a glorified commercial, not because of the video games that Sakurai wants to celebrate in Smash.

Could Agumon get in? Anything is possible. Would he be prioritized over Dark Souls, Tales, or Tekken? I personally very much doubt it. Tales and Tekken have already been represented through Mii Costumes in Smash before.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
If I may...

I know that doesn’t Square with what I said earlier about Tales. I don’t know what it is. I just... don’t see it. But I acknowledge they’re likely at least. I suppose.

Or it could be a fighter with an echo fighter. Or more likely all the slots don’t need to get filled up because it’s literally just spaces of the menue which they are not obliged to fill up, just look at the post pass CSS.
Except this isn’t the css screen. This is the actual voice files and these slots were added with the fighter pass slots filling it out. Every slot but two are filled currently. There’s no more slots left. All of these will be filled.

fighter five is filling one of the two spots left if not both because these slots actually matter and are used unlike the css

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
But if I had to place a bet on any character, I'd say RE simply because two alts (potentially echos) with different voices fits Leon/Jill or Leon/Claireperfectly and other popular picks don't really have a need for an alt with a different voice, but then again Sakurai is the type to add in a separate voice for an alt if it's a well-known version of the character maybe aged up or speaking a different language.

Then again, this ultimately leads to nowhere since you can think up an alt with a different voice for almost every speculated character atm aside from maybe 2B or KOS-MOS? I dunno.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If you really wanted to, you could make almost any request into a duo character.

• Phoenix and Maya
  • Steve and Alex
  • Geno and Mallow
  • Chris and Jill
  • Maxwell and Lilly
Right. But characters who are duos (as in both actively participate in the fight at one time) seem to share the same voice files. Whereas having 2 voice files left after Terry may imply whoever's next has multiple versions of themselves who have separate voice files. Like Hero, Robin, Corrin and so on. So Pheonix having Maya in his moveset would probably just have her in his voice files.

Though it could mean nothing and one's merely a holdover for extra space. Or there's only 1 extra DLC character, but from the sounds of it, we're at LEAST getting 2 or 3.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Just seeing that banner again made me all excited lol. My screen was so small back then that when I opened the site I only saw the banner and nothing beneath it, so I'd close my eyes, say a prayer for Ridley and Dedede, scroll down, and then open my eyes again, just to have a bit of a surprise moment. That day when it was Dedede was glorious.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Dude I don't get this game. It has no clear linear path, enemies jump in difficulty per room, and you don't even know it until you fight it, and the game doesn't explain what does what.

This isn't difficulty. This is just blind.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It'd be slightly less hype of the RE characters ended up being Chris and Claire. They're still cool, but Jill and Leon are cooler.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Oh and I highly doubt we get DLC echo fighters. I could be wrong but for the first pass no way were there echos planned. Maybe post pass but definitely not on the pass

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Brawl Dojo hype was the best, not just because of the site itself, but because speculation was truly the wild west, it felt like anything could happen, and we were young and innocent, not old and jaded. The tension of a Dojo update regarding whether or not we would get a character was amazing.

Brawl might have been a mixed bag, but the hype cycle was 10/10 amazing.
It's sort of like that now regarding third-parties. The thing is, when it comes to many of the third-parties, expectation preceded popularity, and that's how they get drawn into the conversation. The demand is shaped by expectation. Back then, popularity preceded expectation and it was largely the characters that naturally found themselves in the zeitgeist that got in.

Plus to date Brawl still boasts the two biggest megatons, being a third-party in Smash, and Sonic. It's possible those two never get dethroned.

Wish there was a way to do that here. But there aren’t enough characters.
I mean if Ultimate had done that between E3 and release, there would've been multiple characters a week, it would've been crazier than Brawl. Just pretend those reposted character videos on the blog were actual reveals.

The thing is DOJO's strategy perpetuated hype by keeping a steady stream of reveals, but targeted a smaller crowd. They've switched to the method of lengthier reveals but at much more irregular intervals, for higher visibility. Their current method is more conducive to virality. So I get why the DOJO is a thing of the past.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Dude I don't get this game. It has no clear linear path, enemies jump in difficulty per room, and you don't even know it until you fight it, and the game doesn't explain what does what.

Welcome to dark souls

Enjoy your death.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Welcome to Dark Souls.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
The State of our Education System (Presented by Spongebob)
Has anyone here ever had some bad school experience? Mine has been sort of half & half, like I've remember elementary being decently enjoyable from what I can remember, but my life during Middle School wasn't so in comparison especially in the later grades.

(Yeah, yeah...I know. Forgot about that little warning about profanity on this site.)​

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’ve been working on this for a few days now. Pretty happy with it so far.
A1C265A1-6452-4142-9A65-94D4AD96EE20.png

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That quote has been constantly misrepresented. The whole quote is...

Not just means it is not MORE important that a character has a big legacy than being fun. It doesn't mean having a legacy ISN'T important.

Not every character that can be fun to play as is going to get in. Choices have to be made and characters are prioritized. Agumon is facing incredibly tough competition from other Namco characters. Agumon is popular because of a spin-off media that's a glorified commercial, not because of the video games that Sakurai wants to celebrate in Smash.

Could Agumon get in? Anything is possible. Would he be prioritized over Dark Souls, Tales, or Tekken? I personally very much doubt it. Tales and Tekken have already been represented through Mii Costumes in Smash before.
Look. We don’t know how he prioritizes things. That quote is the only glimpse we have ever had into the selection process. So it’s the only thing we can go off besides rules that we made up. So anyone is likely as long as they would be fun to play as. We don’t know who he would prioritize. And frankly, I’m having trouble comprehending why your fighting me on this when you like the characters? Like, why would you argue against a character you like? That’s all we’re doing at the end of the day. Talking about the characters we like and why we think they’d be cool in Smash.
Except this isn’t the css screen. This is the actual voice files and these slots were added with the fighter pass slots filling it out. Every slot but two are filled currently. There’s no more slots left. All of these will be filled.

fighter five is filling one of the two spots left if not both because these slots actually matter and are used unlike the css
They still don’t have to fill all of them. And in fact, they’re gonna have to add more for the post-pass fighters.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Oh and I highly doubt we get DLC echo fighters. I could be wrong but for the first pass no way were there echos planned. Maybe post pass but definitely not on the pass
Well it was already stated that echo fighters wouldn't be in the Fighter's Pass. If there's post pass Echo Fighters, then maybe. But I still kind of doubt it. One of those I'll believe it when I see it things.

And Protoman would make for a great Echo Fighter. Or Rock Howard too, if Ken's quality is anything to go by.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Leon and Jill make so much sense though. Similar to same build, can easily have the same moves, are the two most recognizable faces of the franchise and come from some of their bigger games and most well received. With how much love mega man and even monster hunter and street fighter,

RE having two characters tied to the same slot would make a lot of sense

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If we’re still talking about that quote from the Shantae thread, that was confirmed to be about a mod a guy did. Nothing to do with actual files relating to DLC characters.

I don’t know if that’s actually what’s happening but I figured I would mention it.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Maybe Jill and Leon then?
Nah, don't think it's feasible either, Leon still got a different build than Jill due to being a man and all that.

If a RE character got in, it's either 1 or no one imo.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
-snip-
Has anyone here ever had some bad school experience? Mine has been sort of half & half, like I've remember elementary being decently enjoyable from what I can remember, but my life during Middle School wasn't so in comparison especially in the later grades.​
My early high school life was pretty rough and I got into a trouble with a few kids here and there. The rest was pretty okay.

Oh, and you might want to edit out a certain word out of that image.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Well it was already stated that echo fighters wouldn't be in the Fighter's Pass. If there's post pass Echo Fighters, then maybe. But I still kind of doubt it. One of those I'll believe it when I see it things.

And Protoman would make for a great Echo Fighter. Or Rock Howard too, if Ken's quality is anything to go by.
I took that as meaning none of the 5 main characters would be echoes of base game characters. I still think a new fighter can come with an echo of themselves.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I still remember waking up and seeing sonic and Pokémon trainer. Those inclusions were so hype for me
I literally got up and did a lap when I saw Sonic so as to make sure it was real and still there when I returned. xD

I wonder when they would've revealed him had he never necessitated a delay.

Brawl was such a roller coaster in retrospect. First we got the E3 trailer which revealed five new characters plus the four mainstays, then nothing aside from Fox for an entire year. Then they started the Dojo up and it was back to back characters for a good few months concluding with Sonic of all reveals, then the delay happened and it tanked with more forgettable updates until we got about less then a month from the Japanese release.

With that said, I still have a lot of fun memories of that period. There were a lot of dead moments where news was sparse, but the times where news was constant were some of the best times to be a speculator since it was very exciting to wake up and see what new detail came out.
I mean, Ultimate is the only one that didn't really have dead periods (at least pre-release). I guess you could consider the duration between reveal to E3 "dead", but it was nothing compared to some of the stretches for the previous two. That's what happens when you don't announce the project three years in advance, lol.

And even the Dedede to Olimar drought was still better than most weeks for PotD, let's be real haha.

Just seeing that banner again made me all excited lol. My screen was so small back then that when I opened the site I only saw the banner and nothing beneath it, so I'd close my eyes, say a prayer for Ridley and Dedede, scroll down, and then open my eyes again, just to have a bit of a surprise moment. That day when it was Dedede was glorious.
The fact that the banner obscured who the character was was the best part (usually). :laugh:

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Look. We don’t know how he prioritizes things. That quote is the only glimpse we have ever had into the selection process. So it’s the only thing we can go off besides rules that we made up. So anyone is likely as long as they would be fun to play as. We don’t know who he would prioritize. And frankly, I’m having trouble comprehending why your fighting me on this when you like the characters? Like, why would you argue against a character you like? That’s all we’re doing at the end of the day. Talking about the characters we like and why we think they’d be cool in Smash.
I'm having a discussion with you. I wouldn't argue something that I don't think is true because I like the character involved. I would love Gruntilda and Dr. Eggman to be playable in Smash but I know the chances of that are less than zero. Attempting objectivity when discussing Smash isn't a bad thing. People can disagree, and that's fine, but if you feel I've stepped out of line or insulted you, please let me know, because I haven't attempted anything but to have a discussion about Smash in a Smash discussion thread.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I know I freaked out about Resident Evil being in the "Top 10 japanese created series". Sales-wise, Assassin's Creed is currently at roughly $140 million, which makes it among the highest earning series in general.

Sales aren't everything, and I wouldn't argue they are. But influence? Recognition? It could definitely work. Just depends on if Western characters move on from being an exception (Banjo) and become more regular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom