• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I stay with my boy Dimitri up until the bitter end, but I sadly expect Edel to be the one to make it (if there is a FE character added in DLC that is), that, or Byleth, if Sakurai really want to troll us.
Knowing the plot of FE3H, Edelgard getting in would kind of suck for me. And it would feel a bit unfair to neglect the other two equally-not-so-equally important main lords.

Just give me Byleth, man. I'm saving my axe users for Hector gang.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
And I’m in the corner, wanting every character in the fighters pass to be from a new series. Just cuz I think it’d be cool :nifty:

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Let me put it like this
Gwen doesn't think we're getting more DLC. Her friend Newg however, is outright expecting more DLC.
Scenario A, no DLC:
Gwen doesn't care about any potential Smash news and isn't disappointed. Newg however, is thinking "come on, any day now..." for weeks, months, potentially years even, waiting for Smash news that will never happen.

Scenario B, more DLC:
Gwen is surprised, she's excited and is now invested in Smash news again. Newg is merely excited as she figured it was happening

Gwen is cool, be like Gwen
I understand where your coming from. But it still feels wrong to tell people “don’t ask for something you want because there’s a chance it might not happen”. Banjo is a clear case of blind hope winning out in the end.

I think it’s fine as long as you preface the discussion with, “if”. Not “when”. Every time I talk about a potential season two, I cover myself with things like “I know it might not happen, but if it does this is what I want” and yet I still get people telling me not to expect it an all the reasons it’s impossible. Which is like, the opposite reason as to why I bring it up at all.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
If that's what you took from my post, then you didn't understand what I was getting at in the slightest.

The three most popular Pokemon from Gen VII expected to get in Smash were Decidueyex Mimikyu, and Lycanroc, none of which got in. Even if you know a Pokemon character is getting in, you still have no idea who it could be. FE isn't the same. With each Smash game, everyone predicts a character from the latest FE game, and everyone predicts it will be either the main protagonist(s) or the avatar, which is usually just two characters.

My complaint goes beyond "Hur, too much FE and swords! FE bad!"
So you're saying it's boring for speculation? What does that have to do with the actual game? Just because Incineroar was "unexpected" doesn't mean he's anymore creative than a character that everyone was predicting. I feel like you've switched topics here.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I understand where your coming from. But it still feels wrong to tell people “don’t ask for something you want because there’s a chance it might not happen”. Banjo is a clear case of blind hope winning out in the end.

I think it’s fine as long as you preface the discussion with, “if”. Not “when”. Every time I talk about a potential season two, I cover myself with things like “I know it might not happen, but if it does this is what I want” and yet I still get people telling me not to expect it an all the reasons it’s impossible. Which is like, the opposite reason as to why I bring it up at all.
Girl I'm saying "don't expect it" not "do not ever consider that idea desirable"

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
RE: On the topic of Doom/FE in Smash

Having fighters from as many different franchises as possible is beneficial as it enables more aesthetic diversity on the roster. While 'anime' or whatever, Joker brings an entirely new style to the game, as his stage, final smash and results screen are particularly good at showing. And Doomguy would likely do the same: of course we wouldn't be getting the series' characteristic ultraviolence, but the aesthetic and tone isn't like anything else in Smash, making it a nice contrast with Joker/Hero ('anime' looking w/e) and Banjo (western cartoony looking).

Bringing a new series to smash brings much more than a character a music and a stage to the scene; it brings a whole new world that's crossing over. This is good even from a fan perspective, as it brings in loads of fun opportunities for fanart of the various characters interacting. I'm sure a new Pokemon or a new Fire Emblem character would have plenty of fans, but they just wouldn't feel as impactful an inclusion, at least to me (though Pokemon does have the advantage of each character looking and functioning differently apart from the electric rodents- but that's kind of unfair on FE, as that's Pokemon's USP and a reflection of the attention it gets in Smash)

I'm far from being against first party additions to Smash, as there's still several I want, but I'm generally hoping for ones that stand out more visually from the rest of the characters in their series (like a Zelda rep that's not a blonde haired pointy eared person - for the love of god, can we have someone from the series' other races pls)

Though on the topic of Doom, I fully agree that discussing it in Smash has become kind of tiresome, and I welcome this temporary 'what if OverWatch' break, even if I think Doom would ultimately be a good inclusion for Ultimate

Anyways ramble over

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
everyone arguing over 3rd parties while porky gang rises from the shadows

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
If we're looking at moveset, Edelgard wouldn't be too interesting IMO. She'd be the first to use an axe (for more than one move), but an axe isn't that different from a sword.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So you're saying it's boring for speculation? What does that have to do with the actual game? Just because Incineroar was "unexpected" doesn't mean he's anymore creative than a character that everyone was predicting. I feel like you've switched topics here.
It's all going back to what I said in my first post. Personally, I don't feel like new FE characters are creative additions. Sakurai's current process for deciding FE newcomers is essentially, "new game=main lord or avatar". Before the character is even announced, you already have a vivid idea of who you'll get, and it comes across as us getting a new FE character just because they're incredibly easy to add. Yes, I know you can give any FE character a unique moveset, but that's something you could say for any character. I'd rather see Sakurai try something different like adding a side character instead of just giving us the protagonist of every FE game.

That's just how I see things though. I know this thread gets hyperprotective of FE whenever something negative gets said, but that's fine. I know that there's dozens of people out there just like me who agree. And on that note, I'm dropping this topic.

Last edited:

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
So is Porky's name Porky or Pokey? Cause his name was Porky in Earthbound and was localized to Pokey but Smash still calls him Porky

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Considering the heavy pig theming, I think it’s Porky.
if you only know the localization name and look onward, its funny to thing that he basically calls himself "king fatty" in mother 3

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Meanwhile I'm still in the "Three Houses came too late" boat.

As much as I'd love to see the Upside Down Man or Gender Bend Arvis get into Smash, I just don't see it happening. The fact that Sakurai has noted on the number of FE characters in the past doesn't really help either.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Meanwhile I'm still in the "Three Houses came too late" boat.

As much as I'd love to see the Upside Down Man or Gender Bend Arvis get into Smash, I just don't see it happening. The fact that Sakurai has noted on the number of FE characters in the past doesn't really help either.
Pffft, who cares what Sakurai thinks? What has that man ever done for the Smash series?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If we're looking at moveset, Edelgard wouldn't be too interesting IMO. She'd be the first to use an axe (for more than one move), but an axe isn't that different from a sword.
Even putting aside the fact that her axe animations are incredibly different from sword animations, Edelgard's demeanor and skillset puts a heavy emphasis on hindering enemy movement, between her Battalions and her special combat arts. That's generally not something we have much of yet. In theory she'd be a character who isn't the fastest, but she's able to lock the opponent in place to allow for a stronger follow-up, giving her a strong bait and punish playstyle that's very different from any sword wielder on the roster.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Pffft, who cares what Sakurai thinks? What has that man ever done for the Smash series?
I've heard a close relative of his works at Nintendo, so he gets to play the DLC characters before they're officially out.

Don't tell anyone I said this but he personally told me that the 5th fighter pass character is actually Bubsy the Bobcat.

StormC

Smash Hero
Who says there couldn't be anime music in the game if Agumon got in?
Smash has essentially no content from non-video game media, and there's a good reason for that: licensing is a nightmare. Nothing from the Pokemon anime, the Kirby anime, etc. If for some reason Agumon got in, all the Digimon content would be strictly from the games.

The closest we got was the Misty trophy in Melee uses the design from the anime.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Smash has essentially no content from non-video game media, and there's a good reason for that: licensing is a nightmare. Nothing from the Pokemon anime, the Kirby anime, etc. If for some reason Agumon got in, all the Digimon content would be strictly from the games.

The closest we got was the Misty trophy in Melee uses the design from the anime.
When you have so little content that people forget your AC alt :ultcloud:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm talking about original characters, music, etc. Not alternate versions of characters already fully registered under Nintendo/Pokemon Company.
i see

remember when animal crossing had an anime?

1567101800615.png

that was wild

not even the games have introduced fingers on the humans and look at them go crazy back in 2006

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom