• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Remember the whole box theory and grinch leak thingy? And more specifically it's aftermath?

Let's not do that again
yeah but that whole fight was just another repeat of the ESRB leak

mods were clowns that whole period

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I echo the sentiment that we are not likely to get another pass, we lack a lot of knowledge about things going behind the scenes and frankly all this **** of the pass is selling really well or not is pretty much an hypothesis given that we don't have numbers or comments yet from Nintendo.

If the pass is costing more than expected and their profits are just as proyected without the augmented costs, then the pass is simply not as profitable as they thought.

Last thing, I know its popular to compare to other fighting games models. But one of the key differences is that the fighting games in question are developed around the idea of having years and years of DLC, while the project plan for Ultimate was pretty much base game plus fighter pass so no more content should be expected.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sounds like fun; relaxing that is. How good is Stranger Things?

And I've just been tracking major tournament results for Ultimate. I created my own system to track and see which characters are doing best in the current patch and meta. It's been pretty interesting.
IMO a really good show. I found myself hooked onto it upon watching it. Of course everyone can be different so you might have an different opinion just putting that out there right now because you might not feel the same about it as I do and everyone else that's hooked to it.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Here's an unpopular opinion; of we get Undertale, it should be the Child / Frisk, not Sans.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
It'd be cool to see Frisk calling in other characters for specials, though.

But at the same time, I feel like Sans has more potential design space as a fighter. Frisk's entire concept is that they either talk things out or just stab.

I echo the sentiment that we are not likely to get another pass, we lack a lot of knowledge about things going behind the scenes and frankly all this **** of the pass is selling really well or not is pretty much an hypothesis given that we don't have numbers or comments yet from Nintendo.

If the pass is costing more than expected and their profits are just as proyected without the augmented costs, then the pass is simply not as profitable as they thought.

Last thing, I know its popular to compare to other fighting games models. But one of the key differences is that the fighting games in question are developed around the idea of having years and years of DLC, while the project plan for Ultimate was pretty much base game plus fighter pass so no more content should be expected.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop the pass model entirely and just do single character DLCs instead, if they do any more.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sans is a boss though. Frisk is the protagonist. Smash goes for those or the icons/symbols/faces (Scorpion and Heihachi for example) when it comes to new franchise being added to Smash.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I don't expect another pass after this one but I can still hope. Anything to get Rex & Pyra in Smash.

Like, Ultimate was a huge success for Nintendo and I don't see a new entry releasing any time soon, so why not continue to add to it for a little while longer?

although MK8D was a huge success too and it didn't receive any additional content...

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm not a big fan of Undertale in general to be honest. I feel it's wildly overrated and gets most of its great ideas from other games BUT I can't deny that the music is stellar and if we got a character I feel it would have to be Sans. Frisk is just kind of there, not really the highlight of the game.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I'm indifferent to Undertale but Sans is only a boss that you HAVE to go out of your way to get to.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Sans is a boss though. Frisk is the protagonist. Smash goes for those or the icons/symbols/faces (Scorpion and Heihachi for example) when it comes to new franchise being added to Smash.
Sans is a character that repeatedly shows up after the first area, usually playing a decently large role every time he appears. You also only fight him as a boss if you do a very specific thing that takes a lot of effort to reach. Between that and his popularity, he's the "face" of the game at this point.

I do see your argument here, but I just feel that Frisk would be much more difficult to give an interesting moveset.

I'm not a big fan of Undertale in general to be honest. I feel it's wildly overrated and gets most of its great ideas from other games BUT I can't deny that the music is stellar and if we got a character I feel it would have to be Sans. Frisk is just kind of there, not really the highlight of the game.
Eh the fanbase does overrate it a bit, but I'm not sure what you mean by great ideas from other games. It's very much an earthbound style game, but that's mostly it.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
If I were to pick a UT character, it would be Sans. No, it's not because he's my favorite. It's because he's the most well-known character from the game due to his design within game, personality, and how the character has become a bit of a pop culture icon. And, since his boss fight is one of the most well-known boss fights in gaming, it makes sense as to why he would be picked if anyone is chosen from UT.

Frisk and the other main characters (Toriel, Undyne, Asriel, etc.) would function best as spirits.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I'm not really on board with Undertale in smash, but if we were to get Undertale anything other than Sans would be a disappointment to me. Frisk is the main character, sure, but Sans can better represent the humor and combat that Undertale is known for.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Again, my opinion. I really, at this point, don't care about Undertale and I think that it's too out there to be in this game, but, eh, whatever.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Again, my opinion. I really, at this point, don't care about Undertale and I think that it's too out there to be in this game, but, eh, whatever.
I think the push from it is a mix of popularity and how "nintendo" the game feels, since it was so clearly inspired by Earthbound. The switch version also became hella popular.

Personally I'm not expecting it to be part of the smash dlc, but I just wanted to say why I thought Frisk was less likely to be the chosen representative.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I kinda want to play Undertale just to see what all the fuss is about. Hopefully it isn't too similar to Earthbound beyond a couple of nods here and there.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I'm going to be the weird one here and say I prefer Papyrus or even Undyne over Sans.

I know Sans deserve the place more than them due to being more iconic, but to me, he sound better for a AT than a fully fledge fighter, since he isn't the fighting type, unless he litteraly has no other choice, that and he is pretty lazy in general.

Meanwhile, Papyrus as a personality that fit more for a game like Smash Bros and he can do some stuff that Sans can do, and Undyne is just a favourite of mine, tho she could have pretty cool moveset with her spears.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
I just hope one of the last two is Edelgard.

And if Sakurai really likes me specifically, that the last two are Edelgard and Crash.
I'm all for those picks myself, as Three Houses is shaping up to be a breakout hit title in what's already a breakout hit series, and having another one of gaming's most iconic platforming mascots wouldn't hurt either.

Not to mention, it would be kinda funny to see these two revealed alongside each other if possible, considering how Crash and Edelgard are absolute opposites of each other in almost every way, the more I think about it.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I kinda want to play Undertale just to see what all the fuss is about. Hopefully it isn't too similar to Earthbound beyond a couple of nods here and there.
It's a fun rpg with an interesting story, distinct characters, great music, and cool gameplay mechanics for battles. It also has an extreme variance in endings/paths, where you can go through the entire game without killing a single person. Or you can systematically wipe out every single living thing.

Light spoilers ahoy, but there are three main endings: the pacifist one, the neutral one (mix of kills and no-kills, with some small ending variations), and a genocide one. If you try the game but go for pacifist first, be warned that the game forces a neutral ending your first time through. However, you can reload your save immediately after that ending, go back, and do an extra area that unlocked after that first ending.

Overall it's a good time, and it mostly just has aesthetic and gameplay-style nods to earthbound.

I'm going to be the weird one here and say I prefer Papyrus or even Undyne over Sans.

I know Sans deserve the place more than them due to being more iconic, but to me, he sound better for a AT than a fully fledge fighter, since he isn't the fighting type, unless he litteraly has no other choice, that and he is pretty lazy in general.

Meanwhile, Papyrus as a personality that fit more for a game like Smash Bros and he can do some stuff that Sans can do, and Undyne is just a favourite of mine, tho she could have pretty cool moveset with her spears.
Papyrus and Undyne are treasures, and I enjoy their characters a ton. Sans just has an explosive amount of popularity for some reason, even if he isn't my favorite.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It's not OVERTLY similar but it is SUPER inspired by it. Like, replace all of Earthbound's wacky characters and enemies with anthropomorphic animals, skeletons, robots, etc. And you kinda have Undertale. Kind of. That's not to say that Undertale isn't it's own thing and is, indeed, a well above average RPG but not as good as I think people make it out to be.
Eh the fanbase does overrate it a bit, but I'm not sure what you mean by great ideas from other games. It's very much an earthbound style game, but that's mostly it.
It's almost impossible for me to explain but I felt like while I was playing Undertale I always had these moments of "Oh this is like [Insert Game]". It's not a bad game at all, but with the overdose of hype people were putting on it I knew it wasn't going to be as good as I had heard, I wish I was wrong but I just wasn't all that impressed with it. Sans and Papyrus were basically all I cared about that whole game, and they lived up to the hype, everything else I was just kind of indifferent or unimpressed with regarding the hype that was fed to me.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
It's a fun rpg with an interesting story, distinct characters, great music, and cool gameplay mechanics for battles. It also has an extreme variance in endings/paths, where you can go through the entire game without killing a single person. Or you can systematically wipe out every single living thing.

Light spoilers ahoy, but there are three main endings: the pacifist one, the neutral one (mix of kills and no-kills, with some small ending variations), and a genocide one. If you try the game but go for pacifist first, be warned that the game forces a neutral ending your first time through. However, you can reload your save immediately after that ending, go back, and do an extra area that unlocked after that first ending.

Overall it's a good time, and it mostly just has aesthetic and gameplay-style nods to earthbound.

Papyrus and Undyne are treasures, and I enjoy their characters a ton. Sans just has an explosive amount of popularity for some reason, even if he isn't my favorite.
I think alot of Sans popularity can be traced back to the Genocide Route, notably the boss fight with him, which spawned ton of content related to this single battle alone.

That, and Sans is a pretty entertaining character by himself, even if the overexposure of him kinda ruined some of his better moment.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
It's not OVERTLY similar but it is SUPER inspired by it. Like, replace all of Earthbound's wacky characters and enemies with anthropomorphic animals, skeletons, robots, etc. And you kinda have Undertale. Kind of. That's not to say that Undertale isn't it's own thing and is, indeed, a well above average RPG but not as good as I think people make it out to be.

It's almost impossible for me to explain but I felt like while I was playing Undertale I always had these moments of "Oh this is like [Insert Game]". It's not a bad game at all, but with the overdose of hype people were putting on it I knew it wasn't going to be as good as I had heard, I wish I was wrong but I just wasn't all that impressed with it. Sans and Papyrus were basically all I cared about that whole game, and they lived up to the hype, everything else I was just kind of indifferent or unimpressed with regarding the hype that was fed to me.
Eh, if you think so. I didn't get the same feeling of similarity, but I will agree that the hype for the game is insane. It's a very high quality game (and likely in my top 10), but people oversold it.

I think alot of Sans popularity can be traced back to the Genocide Route, notably the boss fight with him, which spawned ton of content related to this single battle alone.

That, and Sans is a pretty entertaining character by himself, even if the overexposure of him kinda ruined some of his better moment.
I loved how
the game calls you out if you viewed the genocide stuff on youtube instead of playing it. It made the Sans fight video popularity super ironic to me.

To be fair though I didn't do the genocide route because I'm a softy, but I definitely watched it. Being called out was a cool moment.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even though Undertale is probably one of the most deserving indies to get in Smash, I'm not sure if I'd want to see it repped in Smash to the extent of having a character on the roster. Maybe some music and some Spirits, but I'm not entirely sold on a character.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I just hope one of the last two is Edelgard.

And if Sakurai really likes me specifically, that the last two are Edelgard and Crash.
I feel everyone in this pass will be 3rd party tbh not trying damper Hope's but that's just my feeling given so far but still won't doubt the possibility of still happening.

That said though if any 1st parties do get in Byleth/Edelgard are probably the most likely though do you think they might given the Corrin conservatory back in Sm4sh.

Yes there was Chrom but he was Base.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Eh, if you think so. I didn't get the same feeling of similarity, but I will agree that the hype for the game is insane. It's a very high quality game (and likely in my top 10), but people oversold it.
I think it's a very good RPG but then again battles in RPG's are like my least favorite part and while I did enjoy that Undertale tried to make them more interesting for me they didn't hook me. I've been burnt out on RPG's for a while now and like, I'm playing through Persona 5 now but battles are still my least favorite part despite how stylish P5 makes them. I suppose that's the biggest problem I have with the game and chalk that up to the fact that I'm burnt out on them. So, my problem with Undertale? It's not you, Undertale, it's me.

Persona 5's school life thing has hooked me though, that and it's just so damn stylish, and I've played through Golden Sun, Earthbound, Xenoblade, and FFVII quite a few times but Undertale was a 1 (well I guess technically 3) and done sort of thing for me. Like most RPG's for me.

Noipoi

Howdy!
with Undertale your supposed to play the game with little to no prior knowledge of it and come to your own conclusions.

With fanbase culture, especially with a fanbase that massively overhypes the game, that’s almost impossible.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I feel everyone in this pass will be 3rd party tbh not trying damper Hope's but that's just my feeling given so far but still won't doubt the possibility of still happening.

That said though if any 1st parties do get in Byleth/Edelgard are probably the most likely though do you think they might given the Corrin conservatory back in Sm4sh.

Yes there was Chrom but he was Base.
To this thread's dismay, I don't think a Three Houses character is a good idea. Aside from many fans actively rejecting the idea of more FE, it comes across as an uncreative pick. You've got an endless supply of video game characters to choose from, but the best you could do is add the avatar/one of the three hairs from the latest FE game just because they're incredibly easy to picture in Smash?

I'll even admit that Pokemon suffers from this too, though maybe not to the same extent, as the sheer number of options in each Gen makes it a little more unpredictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom