• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To this thread's dismay, I don't think a Three Houses character is a good idea. Aside from many fans actively rejecting the idea of more FE, it comes across as an uncreative pick. You've got an endless supply of video game characters to choose from, but the best you could do is add the avatar/one of the three hairs from the latest FE game just because they're incredibly easy to picture in Smash?

I'll even admit that Pokemon suffers from this too, though maybe not to the same extent, as the sheer number of options in each Gen makes it a little more unpredictable.
I don't see how it's an "uncreative pick." I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean. What makes others inherently more "creative?" Like, everyone brings up Doom and Resident Evil but in all honesty those just seem even more boring.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I don't see how it's an "uncreative pick." I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean. What makes others inherently more "creative?" Like, everyone brings up Doom and Resident Evil but in all honesty those just seem even more boring.
We don’t have a character from either of those genres. But not only do we have many characters from the same genre as Fire Emblem, many of them are actually from Fire Emblem. The idea is stale.

No matter how unique the characters gameplay is, the base idea “a character from Fire Emblem” has been done to death and people want something different.

I think it’s wrong to extend this to all “anime swordsmen”. But Fire Emblem specifically. Nah. I’d prefer they tread some newer ground.

GhostM

Phantom
Haven’t been on here in a little while, so how’s everyone been so far? Any crazy discussion topics or anything that has stirred up lately?

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
First parties in the fighters pass
View attachment 236025

Seventh parties in the fighters pass
View attachment 236026
3rd parties: belong to other companies
"4th parties": originate from other types of media
5th parties: originate from the real world
6th parties: have yet to have been created/born
7th parties: haven't even been defined yet

what kinda chess games u playing

Noipoi

Howdy!
3rd parties: belong to other companies
"4th parties": originate from other types of media
5th parties: originate from the real world
6th parties: have yet to have been created/born
7th parties: haven't even been defined yet

what kinda chess games u playing
I just want the avatar of chaos, alvigenfudaksl@azkin, to be in Smash.

Izzat so wrong?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
We don’t have a character from either of those genres. But not only do we have many characters from the same genre as Fire Emblem, many of them are actually from Fire Emblem. The idea is stale.

No matter how unique the characters gameplay is, the base idea “a character from Fire Emblem” has been done to death and people want something different.

I think it’s wrong to extend this to all “anime swordsmen”. But Fire Emblem specifically. Nah. I’d prefer they tread some newer ground.
We do have characters from first person shooters though. While you could debate :ultsamus: due to the 2D games, :ultdarksamus: is inarguably a character from a first person shooter.

And in general it just seems really dumb to call an idea stale because of the series a character comes from. Ridley wasn't suddenly less hype because we already had Metroid characters, or K. Rool because we had two DK characters. They brought something new.

And back on the genre thing, the first three characters in the fighter pass were from RPGs (Joker and Hero) and a platformer (Banjo), both of which are genres we have a lot of. Getting new genres is nice but it isn't a necessity to be interesting.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I would love Edelgard, I really would, but Three Houses is doing gangbusters and is awesome and everyone is super happy with Fire Emblem right now so I want it to stay that way and I know if El did get in it would be an absolute **** fest of non Fire Emblem fans just being unreasonably angry because a character they didn't want got in over someone they wanted and I don't really want to deal with that right now. Especially with how positive the FE fanbase is at the moment.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Why though?
Let me put it like this
Gwen doesn't think we're getting more DLC. Her friend Newg however, is outright expecting more DLC.
Scenario A, no DLC:
Gwen doesn't care about any potential Smash news and isn't disappointed. Newg however, is thinking "come on, any day now..." for weeks, months, potentially years even, waiting for Smash news that will never happen.

Scenario B, more DLC:
Gwen is surprised, she's excited and is now invested in Smash news again. Newg is merely excited as she figured it was happening

Gwen is cool, be like Gwen

Slime Master

Smash Ace
I don't like to think of characters as being boring choices because so many times I've thought that and then immediately been sold on their reveal trailer (or on giving them a try). But in terms of likelihood I think the timing for a 3H rep has passed; DLC would have been decided upon early enough that a 3H rep would have been picked as a promotional pick (you could certainly argue the other merits of one now, but not when DLC was decided), and I would think if they picked a character for promotional reasons they probably would have revealed them less than a month after the game's release.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's uncreative because FE is one of the easiest franchises to imagine adding newcomers in. On top of every game having a new cast, there's little debate on who the next character would be. That's because everyone already agrees that the character is gonna be either the main lord or the avatar, with Echo Fighters seemingly being the only route for a side character to get in. Heck, Three Houses is probably the most diverse game in terms of possible additions, and even then it's only four characters.

I don't think Doom or RE would be good choices either, but at least those two currently have the advantage of not having a character in Smash. If either were to get added, it'd come as a suprise to a lot of people. With FE, you typically predict one of two, maybe three options every time a new game comes out. It's become repetitive.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's uncreative because FE is one of the easiest franchises to imagine adding newcomers in. On top of every game having a new cast, there's little debate on who the next character would be. That's because everyone already agrees that the character is gonna be either the main lord or the avatar, with Echo Fighters seemingly being the only route for a side character to get in. Heck, Three Houses is probably the most diverse game in terms of possible additions, and even then it's only four characters.

I don't think Doom or RE would be good choices either, but at least those two currently have the advantage of not having a character in Smash. If either were to get added, it'd come as a suprise to a lot of people. With FE, you typically predict one of two, maybe three options every time a new game comes out. It's become repetitive.
Ok but here me out

Edelgard hot

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

But what's the point of complaining about a character being surprising so long as they bring something new?

BlueMonk

Smash Champion

You say this as if most games don't have one or two characters that are the most likely

I find it hypocritical that you think FE would be boring because it already has a lot of characters when you're out here stanning Zacien and Zamazenta

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I find it hypocritical that you think FE would be boring because it already has a lot of characters when you're out here stanning Zacien and Zamazenta
FE is just meme'd because of clones.

Even FE Warriors has clones.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I stay with my boy Dimitri up until the bitter end, but I sadly expect Edel to be the one to make it (if there is a FE character added in DLC that is), that, or Byleth, if Sakurai really want to troll us.

EDIT: Claude be cool too, since we never got a character that use a bow as his main weapon.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
But what's the point of complaining about a character being surprising so long as they bring something new?
Because there's an infinite number of characters out there who could "bring something new". Might as well strive for getting a character who's both unique and something completely unexpected. Or at the very least, someone like Inkling who would bring a ton of new content with them as a result of their inclusion.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Since we were talking about Sans earlier, how would he fight? What does he have for moves? My knowledge on Undertale is almost nonexistent.
His boss fight gives him tons of potential.

Projectile bones, giant skeleton lasers, teleportation for recovery, telekinesis, weaponized pranks.

I imagine he’d be slow, without many jumps. But he makes up for it in the sheer power of his moves.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Since we were talking about Sans earlier, how would he fight? What does he have for moves? My knowledge on Undertale is almost nonexistent.

Watch this and you'll basically understand literally everything that he's capable of. outside of making really bad puns anyway

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
We do have characters from first person shooters though. While you could debate :ultsamus: due to the 2D games, :ultdarksamus: is inarguably a character from a first person shooter.
I still stand by the fact that Duck Hunt is our first person shooter rep. :ultduckhunt:

That said my desire to see Doom Slayer (besides just being a fan/wanting to see the series' content in Smash Bros. hall of fame) isn't just because of the genre, but because he'd be cool to see outside of a FPS. I'd like Master Chief in a similar vein, but at least Halo's had crossovers with fighting games already (DoA and KI).

I'm not gonna say I'd be (that) upset if they don't happen, nor will I curse whatever we do get instead, but seeing it would remain as surreal to me as seeing Ridley.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Or at the very least, someone like Inkling who would bring a ton of new content with them as a result of their inclusion.
So are we just gonna ignore how TH has an entirely new cast (aka a lotta potential spirits), on a new continent (lot of potential new stages, and it'd be an actual location) with lots of its own music (which all slap hard)?

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I don't get why so many people place emphasis on reps for different genres, being from a new genre doesn't make a character inherently more interesting and its never been something that smash has placed focus on

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You say this as if most games don't have one or two characters that are the most likely

If that's what you took from my post, then you didn't understand what I was getting at in the slightest.

The three most popular Pokemon from Gen VII expected to get in Smash were Decidueyex Mimikyu, and Lycanroc, none of which got in. Even if you know a Pokemon character is getting in, you still have no idea who it could be. FE isn't the same. With each Smash game, everyone predicts a character from the latest FE game, and everyone predicts it will be either the main protagonist(s) or the avatar, which is usually just two characters.

My complaint goes beyond "Hur, too much FE and swords! FE bad!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom