• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
Star Wars opinion time: In my opinion RotJ is not only the worst of the original trilogy, but actually just not a good movie. It has a handful of good scenes, but everything about it feels like a cluster**** and I never want to see those stupid bears again.
I agree. The first act is great, but after that it spirals out pretty fast. Han spends half the movie standing next to a door, The Leia sibling reveal is nonsensical, the defeat of the Emperor is fairly anticlimactic and I've never really bought Vader going from his Empire characterization of being persistent, megalomaniacal, and cunning to the scared lapdog of the Emperor.

The direction is also just very flat and uninteresting, especially compared to Empire. A lot of the imagery is just really undynamic with some ugly color choices too. There's nothing in Jedi like this:

Striga

Smash Journeyman
RoTJ might be the weakest of the trilogy, but the final confrontation between Luke, Vader, and The Emperor is one the greatest final acts of any movie I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
y'all ever forget that rhode island is a state

i swear, family guy is the only reason i know rhode island at this point

they never even mention real things about rhode island

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I agree. The first act is great, but after that it spirals out pretty fast. Han spends half the movie standing next to a door, The Leia sibling reveal is nonsensical, the defeat of the Emperor is fairly anticlimactic and I've never really bought Vader going from his Empire characterization of being persistent, megalomaniacal, and cunning to the scared lapdog of the Emperor.

The direction is also just very flat and uninteresting, especially compared to Empire. A lot of the imagery is just really undynamic with some ugly color choices too. There's nothing in Jedi like this:

I want to visit the timeline where the original trilogy is, like, 7 movies. Where Luke's sister is introduced as a different character from Leia, and Boba Fett is actually a character, and the conclusion isn't just a rushed "we're building the Death Star again, but without the exhaust port issue!" Then I'd swipe a blu-Ray Boxset and never watch RotJ again.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm currently looking up mythologies most notably Egyptian Mythology.

How cool would it be to have an Mythology Cinematic Universe set in a world on earth similar to Alderaan where the pantheons rules each of their land(Greek Gods with Greece, Norse Gods with Scandinavia, Egyptian Gods with Egypt, Japanese Gods with Japan, etc.) and functions similar to the United Nations and banding together whenever facing against greater threats.

The only thing is I'd leave some mythologies out such as Hindu Mythology since that's still an active religion and inaccuracies might offend its worshippers beliefs as Asura's Wrath did. Same with some indigenous people of Americas and Australian Aboriginals mythologies as despite popular belief that not all mythologies are public domain as their myths are still heavily guarded by their people to this day (Which I didn't actually know until recently) so out of respect would be best to leave those out. Have them only be mentioned or referenced at most indicating their existence but nothing more.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Also, I know I'm a zoomer here, but uh...

Ya'll giving me the stereotypical "The 90s were sooo much better" vibe that nobody really enjoys. I don't know if that was the intent, but I just feel that energy.
If it helps you feel better Spectacular Spider-Man's the best Marvel cartoon, and that was 2000's. Though I still like some of the 90's shows. And I enjoyed Young Justice a bit more than Teen Titans.

It's the same for every generation, selective memory regarding stuff that was good. No one remembers stuff that was crappy like the multitude of Sonic wannabes gaming-wise or the awful TMNT wannabies cartoon-wise for example.

Just remember Grampa Simpson wise words:
I will never forget the early 2000's having like 30 shows that look like a Schoolastic "How to draw anime" book in motion Martin Mystery and **** like that. And like you said, 90's shows with TMNT rip-offs, from Street Sharks to Mummies Alive.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Also, I know I'm a zoomer here, but uh...

Ya'll giving me the stereotypical "The 90s were sooo much better" vibe that nobody really enjoys. I don't know if that was the intent, but I just feel that energy.
As someone who didn't grow up in the 90s, I somehow enjoy the products of that decade the most when it comes to movies and video games.

StormC

Smash Hero
As someone born in 1991, a lot of my favorite anime are from the 80s. Not sure how that worked out.

Also Super Mario Bros. 3 and Mega Man 2 are both in my top ten, both being released before I was born.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
As someone born in 2001, I love tons of different stuff from tons of different generations. Not just the short period of time where I grew up.

Though I do have a soft spot for early-mid 2000s cartoons.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
821A8303-0516-4049-B8F1-6E64B8685C05.jpeg

:ultkirby:: “Yeah, you’re lucky my bro here is holding me back or I’d pound you so hard, the entire planet will crack right beneath you! Do you know how many gods I’ve taken down?! I will swallow you whole! Low tier my...”
:ultjoker:: “Kirby, please...”

Original tweet: https://mobile.twitter.com/kiravera8/status/1155719591122763776

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
90's guy here. I was born in 1992. Grew up becoming a fan of Godzilla and kaijus alone as well as cartoons like Beast Wars, Angry Beavers, CatDog, Godzilla: The Animated Series, Street Sharks, 80's Ninja Turtles and Kong: The Animated Series. Also was since young a sucker for killer creature flicks.

Obviously Disney movies as well most notably Lion King which has a special place in my heart due to being the first movie I saw in theaters.

On top of that the 2003 Ninja Turtles was without a doubt my favorite cartoon of the 2000's.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
View attachment 232788
:ultkirby:: “Yeah, you’re lucky my bro here is holding me back or I’d pound you so hard, the entire planet will crack right beneath you! Do you know how many gods I’ve taken down?! I will swallow you whole! Low tier my...”
:ultjoker:: “Kirby, please...”

Original tweet: https://mobile.twitter.com/kiravera8/status/1155719591122763776
Joker_Provides_Emotional_Support_For_Kirby_After_Getting_In_A_Fight_With_DeDeDe_On_Fountain_Of_Dreams_And_The_Stage_Still_Lags.wav

Noipoi

Howdy!
Who was this *******!? Nobody ****talks my friends and gets away with it! :hulk:
What’s their name?

We’ll make them cry.
I don’t wanna name names. If you really wanna know just go back ten pages or so.

I made a couple jokes at Hero’s expense, pissed someone off, he really tore into me but to be quite honest I found it very funny.

It’s been settled anyway. No need to drag it out.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Honestly, while I'm a fan of the older Star Wars, I still liked most of the newer ones. The Force Awakens, Rouge One, and even Solo I still had fun watching those movies as I liked the characters they introduced and there were some great scenes within them such as the destruction of the Republic in TFA or the climax in Rouge One.

The only one I can say I didn't care for was The Last Jedi as I had a major problem with the secondary plotline involving the fleeing rebels. Canto Blight is not a good arc as Finn's arc is redundant so it's pointless for him to go through the same motions he did in TFA with little else added and it leads nowhere since it backfires and even ignoring that it was unnecessary since there was another plan. Even the reason why it happens feels poorly handled as Holdo withholding information the way she did comes off as questionable when all it does is seed anxiety and mistrust in her subordinates. I also didn't like how the non-Kylo Ren villains were handled, and I do agree with Mark Hamill over some of the criticisms on Luke's handling.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don’t wanna name names. If you really wanna know just go back ten pages or so.

I made a couple jokes at Hero’s expense, pissed someone off, he really tore into me but to be quite honest I found it very funny.

It’s been settled. No need to drag it out.
Oh alright then. Good to know then sorry then I always jump to the fray when it comes to my friends like you. Also thought this was someone in your normal life.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

Hey, so long as it was in a joking manner and wasn't entirely malicious, make as many jokes as you want. Offense is one of the driving sources of all comedy, regardless of who's being targeted. It's why shows like South Park and Tosh.0 exist.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Alright, fair enough.

Wouldn’t have been able to win that fight anyways...

D

Deleted member

If it helps you feel better Spectacular Spider-Man's the best Marvel cartoon, and that was 2000's. Though I still like some of the 90's shows. And I enjoyed Young Justice a bit more than Teen Titans.

I will never forget the early 2000's having like 30 shows that look like a Schoolastic "How to draw anime" book in motion Martin Mystery and **** like that. And like you said, 90's shows with TMNT rip-offs, from Street Sharks to Mummies Alive.
The best Marvel cartoon IMO is Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
You know what would make a perfect trailer for a hypothetical RE character reveal?

If it was a continuation of the Belmont’s trailer picking up on the horror theme similar to how :ultbanjokazooie: ‘s was a sequel to :ultkrool: and :ulthero:‘s was based WoL.

Just imagine at the end of the Nintendo Direct, a CGI trailer (not actual gameplay footage) starts as we see :ultluigi::ultsimon::ultrichter: walking on a dark and stormy night entering a city, we then find out that a sign says “Racoon City” and then suddenly the trio gets attacked by zombies (which are toned by to keep the E10 rating) Luigi cowers while the Belmonts get prepared to fight until they all get overwhelmed causing Leon Kennedy (with Jill/Chris/Claire as alts) to show up and save them!

*cue gameplay footage*

Thoughts?

Striga

Smash Journeyman
You know what would make a perfect trailer for a hypothetical RE character reveal?

If it was a continuation of the Belmont’s trailer picking up on the horror theme similar to how :ultbanjokazooie: ‘s was a sequel to :ultkrool: and :ulthero:‘s was based WoL.

Just imagine at the end of the Nintendo Direct, a CGI trailer (not actual gameplay footage) starts as we see :ultluigi::ultsimon::ultrichter: walking on a dark and stormy night entering a city, we then find out that a sign says “Racoon City” and then suddenly the trio gets attacked by zombies (which are toned by to keep the E10 rating) Luigi cowers while the Belmonts get prepared to fight until they all get overwhelmed causing Leon Kennedy (with Jill/Chris/Claire as alts) to show up and save them!

*cue gameplay footage*

Thoughts?
That would be the best. Though I dont see Chris, Jill, and Clarie as alts for Leon.

osby

Smash Obsessed

*cue gameplay footage*

Thoughts?
I'd rather not.

RE and Castlevania isn't like Banjo and K.Rool, they appeal to different people. Let trailers return to being unique.

You ever let Youtube run on autoplay for so long that the algorithm ends up pulling out some strange gem from the depths of the internet?

Well ...

... i can't stop listening to it now... send help.

StormC

Smash Hero
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Nintendo Of Europe confirmed the update is coming out July 31st.

#TeamJuly

Shroob

Sup?
I mean....

TECHNICALLY both teams win, right?

It's July for us, but August for Japan.

Unless this is the 31st for Europe, which would be the 30th for us, aka AFTER THE PRESENTATION.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I mean....

Unless this is the 31st for Europe, which would be the 30th for us, aka AFTER THE PRESENTATION.
If it was right after the presentation it would still be the 30th in Europe.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean....

This can only mean one thing: Sakurai actually is a guest in here, knows about our little debate and wants to make both sides happy.

...please buff Robin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom