• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee PR 12/29/2013 Update

joeplicate

Smash Master
dude personally i always feel like ****en **** about power rankings, even when i go up

could just be me, but i don't think they're very positively motivating at all
it's always like "oh i should be above that player" or "**** i needa stop that guy from passing me up" or something like that

could just be me tho

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
15-20 is absolutely necessary. Take a second to look at the top 10 or so.

Did you check it? Good. Non-ranked players would abso-****ing-lutely get tossed by every one of those players. I think people would get ****ed up to the point where they'd think "there's NO possible way I'm going to be ranked if I have to beat Jkun (or whoever has the 10 spot right now I already forgot, but that's aside from the point)"

The point is with players like (no offense) Baka, Sunny, Jesse, Hyprid, etc. a lot of up and comers can actually feel like one day they may be able to get on the list. And I feel like it is worth "going out of your way" to put in 15-20 for not only those up and comers, but the the players on the bottom of the PR as well. I don't think it stops motivating them at all. Remember how pissed Baka was to be placed below Jesse. (Might not be positive motivation, but certainly makes things more interesting.) Once players are on the list, I don't think they're immediately satisfied.

As for my accomplishments: I beat Weston in one friendly at Genesis and then lost to the next scrub fox in the lineup.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
that...is a good point and makes a lot of sense. i think its true though, i felt the exact same way that pat described when i first entered the socal melee scene; having beatable, reachable players definitely helped me want to improve, and still now. pat why are you so amazing.

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
the current pr would be better with only 15 imo
if we have 20 legitimately good players what will make it out of r2 pools or into bracket at regionals, then we should list them
if theres a definite skill gap between, say, 16 or 17 and the rest, they shouldnt be listed

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
My only reservation with having top 20 is that I see more people who will be dropped due to inactivity or a lack of results than I see newcomers that can fill those gaps. I count five people on the current PR whom I think will be dropped; when I think of people who can fill those gaps, only Hyprid really stands out, with a record that's if anything slightly better than what he posted since he didn't list his win over Little England. Aside from Kevin, Pat actually did have a really solid record this period, with wins over Stab/Replicate/Hyprid(x2) and only one really questionable loss (Sheen), IIRC, and I wouldn't have any qualms with adding Sung or HugQ, provided their records are as respectable as I recall them being. This still leaves at least one awkward open spot that I can't think of a nice fit for, though.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
**** yeah i j666 made it to r3 at genesis! :) and he's pretty active i think

is jesse still active? iirc he did go to some tournaments and did ok right? idk

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
**** yeah i j666 made it to r3 at genesis! :) and he's pretty active i think

is jesse still active? iirc he did go to some tournaments and did ok right? idk
My last tournament was in May and these were the results.

Triweekly result
Singles
1: Fly
2: Zhu
3: MacD
4: Connor
5: Pat
5: Jesse
7: Pnoy
7: Stab
9: Okami
9: Maple
9: Hyprid
9: Spark
13: Jun
13: Eric
13: Sunny
13: Jkun
The Triweekly this past May was really the only one I've gone to other than GREV Whateverthe**** where I lost to you and did generally horrible all around. I haven't done much, really, and I'm not too concerned about being removed from the ranking after thinking about it today. This is all really about merit and I know I wasn't particularly strong with regard to traveling.

I just like winning. So I'll just try to beat everyone whenever I play them next and not think about this. hahaha.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
i think jesse did ok this period. iirc he beat pnoy and/or maple, and azn_lep. not sure but i think he may have beaten sung at that one grev, in pools though.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
i think jesse did ok this period. iirc he beat pnoy and/or maple, and azn_lep. not sure but i think he may have beaten sung at that one grev, in pools though.
I beat Pnoy and Maple at the Triweekly and I did beat Sung at GREV. I don't think I've played Pat in a real tournament in over a year.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
hahahahaha. But...

I did know about it, but I personally wouldn't count it. There were no players from other cities and I was the only currently ranked player in attendance. I think counting a tournament like this for the PR compromises its accuracy to some degree.

I was definitely trying in the set, but I can't help but see it as a glorified friendly given the circumstances and the players in the attendance (or lack thereof).

D

Deleted member

did u lose to some scrubby scrub or something i dont see why ur talking about it

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
What Jun. said.

I'm explaining to Baka why I'm not counting my win against Azn_Lep at a small tournament at UCSD.

D

Deleted member

my bad on my post, it was more directed to baka than u

anyways weird (on baka) to bring it up

baka4moé

Smash Champion
nah its just that if there still is a decision to make a 16-20, i feel that jesse should stay on given his performance, and beating pat is imo worth mentioning, considering who pat beat.

also i agree with connor whens this update happening?

altho i guess to answer johnnys question i didnt lose to a scrubby scrub iirc. the "worst" player ive lost to is stab this period. ill say my wins/losses when the update is actually gonna happen.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
While bored on a run, i thought of a star wars analogy for the top 8 (the prequels suck btw)

Johnny/Vader (Analkin) - Turned to the dark side of the force because he was consumed by his anger/hatred, and now uses that to crush his foes
Mango/Yoda - the wise master who you wouldn't guess is a wise master due to his appearance and way of speech
Joey/Obi Wan - Old expert who ***** johnny/vader (Analkin) in the past but gets killed by him in A New Hope (which is analogous to how their sets go nowadays)
C3PO/Fly - Very smart but doesn't exactly have the most personality. More concerned with duty (winning) than style.
Luke/Lovage - Started as your average farm boy, but through dedication and practice, became a powerful jedi knight capable of defeating the sith
HugS/The Emperor - Honestly, hugo doesn't fit that well into this analogy but the emperor is old and the mastermind of everything, and hugo seems like someone who could scheme well and be the mastermind behind a big plan (plus he's old)
Han Solo/Zhu - very practical guy and good with a blaster, is also a ladies man
MacD/Princess Leia - Though she's a princess, she is very forceful and sometimes un-ladylike. romantically involved with Han Solo/Zhu

Jun.

Smash Lord
While bored on a run, i thought of a star wars analogy for the top 8 (the prequels suck btw)

Johnny/Vader (Analkin) - Turned to the dark side of the force because he was consumed by his anger/hatred, and now uses that to crush his foes
Mango/Yoda - the wise master who you wouldn't guess is a wise master due to his appearance and way of speech
Joey/Obi Wan - Old expert who ***** johnny/vader (Analkin) in the past but gets killed by him in A New Hope (which is analogous to how their sets go nowadays)
C3PO/Fly - Very smart but doesn't exactly have the most personality. More concerned with duty (winning) than style.
Luke/Lovage - Started as your average farm boy, but through dedication and practice, became a powerful jedi knight capable of defeating the sith
HugS/The Emperor - Honestly, hugo doesn't fit that well into this analogy but the emperor is old and the mastermind of everything, and hugo seems like someone who could scheme well and be the mastermind behind a big plan (plus he's old)
Han Solo/Zhu - very practical guy and good with a blaster, is also a ladies man
MacD/Princess Leia - Though she's a princess, she is very forceful and sometimes un-ladylike. romantically involved with Han Solo/Zhu

wut.

Top Bottom