• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee PR 12/29/2013 Update

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
i guess i look relatively young because all i can grow is scruff
but like last year i shaved in the morning cuz it got itchy and that evening went to the olive garden
and she asked if i wanted to see the wine list and i was like wtf

Alex19

Smash Journeyman
ILL BE BACK SOON....mang0 here i come lol ***** you never bought me a shake Haha

ResidentWaffle

Smash Lord
None of you guys have ever explained why you operate this why.

A PR should represent the best players from a region. If there's a big tourny with out of region competition, who would do the best?

Basing off of tourny results just leaves you 2-4 weeks behind every single update. Stop being noobs.
The whole point of the PR is to motivate people to get better within the region, not impress other states with our list.

Sure, we could base it off who would do the best out of state, but since that happens very infrequently, it would be all theory.

Also, basing the list of people we "know" are better (with lack of results), is a bad idea. People trying to get ranked will get discouraged that they'll never be able to replace them.

Alex19

Smash Journeyman
you can't lose to psychomidget and hope to make the list
I'm not depending on my skill as of right now, aaaand I wasn't talking about making the list Lol, even though i think i will be able to once i play mango alot hahaha

Over here I play someone once every two months if I'm lucky, and the only characters ppl main over here are like falcon, marth, ganon, and peach. I know I got *****, there wasn't much I could do. I wasn't ready...but before I moved both my fox and puff game were better you could even ask midgey I used to be able to beat him almost all the time when I lived over there, I will get better qhen I move

One Word Extinguisher

Smash Apprentice
The whole point of the PR is to motivate people to get better within the region, not impress other states with our list.
No, the whole point is to rank the best players who still play the game. The former will automatically occur, you don't make a list to say, "Hey, what would make the list ****ty enough so that even ****tier players think they have a chance to get better so they can make it?"

Sure, we could base it off who would do the best out of state, but since that happens very infrequently, it would be all theory.
Speak for yourself. We play Norcal all the time.

Also, basing the list of people we "know" are better (with lack of results), is a bad idea.
Way to put words in my mouth.

People trying to get ranked will get discouraged that they'll never be able to replace them.
Everyone in the community knows how good everyone is. The good players, that is.

ResidentWaffle

Smash Lord
Speak for yourself. We play Norcal all the time.
One Word Extinguisher said:
A PR should represent the best players from a region. If there's a big tourny with out of region competition, who would do the best
Well, yeah you said out of region like EC or MW, if you meant to say ranking it off how we do against norcal/ourselves then im all for that.

Way to put words in my mouth.
Sorry that line was directed to more of the thread in general.

One Word Extinguisher said:
None of you guys have ever explained why you operate this why.
Yes, we have, it's just not in this thread and haven't been around long enough to hear the reasons.

No, the whole point is to rank the best players who still play the game. The former will automatically occur, you don't make a list to say, "Hey, what would make the list ****ty enough so that even ****tier players think they have a chance to get better so they can make it?"
I agree, it's not about making the list "****ty." It's about making the list based on people who really care enough about the game to play frequently.

I think this is geared towards more of the thread in general.

The real debate is "who is considered active?" If Ken came back and placed first in one tournament should he be ranked? What if he came back and didn't place well but we all knew he was gonna start playing again so we put him at 2nd because we know he *****? What if he just decides to play friendlies but doesn't enter in any tournaments?

We need to make a list of criteria on what it takes to be active.

One Word Extinguisher

Smash Apprentice
Well, yeah you said out of region like EC or MW, if you meant to say ranking it off how we do against norcal/ourselves then im all for that.
Norcal is 400 miles away. That's out of region.

Yes, we have, it's just not in this thread and haven't been around long enough to hear the reasons.
No they haven't. Lovage was saying he agreed with me on the majority of my opinion of how a PR should be, so he was either lying to me (doubtful) or there's a serious disconnect between the panel (sup Mango).

I agree, it's not about making the list "****ty." It's about making the list based on people who really care enough about the game to play frequently.
That has nothing to do with talent. If Hugo is going to show up to big tournies and place better than people like Tofu and myself and Connor who go to three tournaments a month, how is he not worthy of being placed on the list? Refute his logic before repeating what has already been refuted.

The real debate is "who is considered active?" If Ken came back and placed first in one tournament should he be ranked?
If we had an implication he would stay active, yes.

HugS' implication is that he will be attending Genesis.

nicaboy

Smash Champion
So I got two questions out of curiousity. I remember loveage saying he wanted to see a top 15 . Does any one oppose it? Where im coming from this community is huge and i just think it could fit. Also why no honorable mentions list? I seem other pr do it so I wonder why don't we. Is it that the list is just cut and dry or no one cares enough?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
15 is too much cuz theres not that many good ppl in socal LOL

the pr should be top 5 IMO

bbb

Smash Champion
midgey

I'm gunna beat yo *** in falcon dittos <3

BFF
Blue Falcon Forever

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i was just making a joke about socal being really bad, but theyre not that bad, theyre ok i guess

just mango/lucky/zhu, and a bunch of space animals

oh wait

mango/lucky/zhu are space animals

San Diego Reaper

Smash Journeyman
the ranking is not and should not be completely based on the talent of the region, you also have to be a frequent player. Otherwise, purely based on talent, Ken should still be ranked (hes still better than "most" of the PR).

If your not very active you miss out on the rankings.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Maybe he was just posting for post count One Word Extinguisher, cut him some slack IMO, he never did anything to you.

Besides you're just a Mar '09 poster who got into melee for the cool factor when you'll never really reach high levels this late in the game, and you should've just played Brawl since the community is much bigger, more accepting, and plays the less dated game.

Why are you posting in the west coast region when your location says East Coast 4 lyfe?

choknater's acting is 2 good
bad

Top Bottom