• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee Community

Kira-

Smash Champion
just curious, cause there was a thread like this on the sheik boards:

but what kind of style do I have? aka what runs through your mind when you're playing against me? for example, gay, campy, just abuses/spams cheap moves, wont approach, doesn't know how to play, gets lucky, mindgamey, patient, stupid technical, camps ledge, copies other players, waits for one opening then combos to death, hit and run, etc. or you could describe in your own way or relate me to another player or whatever describes it the best for you.

Gishnak

Smash Ace

but what kind of style do I have? aka what runs through your mind when you're playing against me? for example, gay, campy, just abuses/spams cheap moves, wont approach, doesn't know how to play, gets lucky, mindgamey, patient, stupid technical, camps ledge, copies other players, waits for one opening then combos to death, hit and run, etc. or you could describe in your own way or relate me to another player or whatever describes it the best for you.
you gay

joeplicate

Smash Master

standard

with a side of pretty good

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I don't remember what I think, but it's probably something like "usually smart, but intermittently dumb" since all I ever do against you is wait for you to do something stupid and then grab you. I can say the same thing about a ton of people, though, so that's probably not very helpful.

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
i also watched SHARK WEEK and i learned that you should punch a shark in the GILLS rather than then NOSE because either way youre going to **** them up, but this way you cant **** up and suddenly have 1 arm.

a guy tried to punch one in the nose but it moved and he basically just dragged his arm along its teeth.

Lovage

Smash Hero
found a cool aerial interrupt with falco

on yoshi's story with falco, if you short hop from a side platform to the top platform, you will barely not reach it (similar to falcon's forward full jump from the ground to the top platform on yoshi's barely not getting there.) but if you do a d-air right when your body is rising to the platform, you will land on the platform with no lag. you don't get the aerial lag, or any landing lag, ur just standing on the platform, and you can dash/jump/drop thru/fsmash or whatever instantly

try it a couple times and you'll find the timing

embracethe12

Smash Lord
doesn't falcon have something like that?
he short hops from the side platform to the top but doesn't make it unless he neutral airs

or is that something different?

Lovage

Smash Hero
thats his nair changing his hitbox so he lands on top w/ aerial lag

this is teleporting from slightly below the platform to the top of the platform, standing, with no landing lag

embracethe12

Smash Lord
oh then i've seen that before with doctor mario

stand under a platform then time your second jump under the platform
sometimes doc will just warp on the platform standing with no lag

i don't know the reason why, but it happens

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
How do you know there's no landing lag? I would guess that what's happening is you're getting the auto-cancel frames of the move. Most aerials have autocancel frames for before the hitbox actually comes out, which gives you the same lag as regular landing lag, 4 frames (except Pichu who only has 2). Falco's dair comes out on frame 6, so you will autocancel if you land during the first 5 frames.

Lovage

Smash Hero
How do you know there's no landing lag? I would guess that what's happening is you're getting the auto-cancel frames of the move. Most aerials have autocancel frames for before the hitbox actually comes out, which gives you the same lag as regular landing lag, 4 frames (except Pichu who only has 2). Falco's dair comes out on frame 6, so you will autocancel if you land during the first 5 frames.
theres no landing lag because u can instantly drop thru
or dash or fsmash or whatever

its similar to a perfect land, like when falcon does a >100% ledgejump on kongo jongle and lands with no lag on the top platforms

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
which of these uses the correct terminology?

you can auto cancel marths fair in a short hop.

if you jump thru a platform and nair with bowser, you can auto cancel on the platform and have landing lag.

if you do an aerial too close to the ground and the move does not have enough time to come out, it will simply auto cancel

pockyD

Smash Legend
1 - this is technically correct, though it's not what people typically mean when they say it like this; if you do the fair right as you SH, the entire move finishes before you land, which is why you can do another fair or waveland... if you start your first fair a bit later, you can do the legitimately autocanceled fair, although there's no real point to it
2 - it's possible that this is correct, i'm not sure about the properties of bowser's nair, but it can be correct for a lot of moves
3 - this is correct like 99% of the time

basically, most moves have a window at the start and at the end of the move where if you land during that time, it auto-cancels and you get your standard landing lag (4 frames for most characters), so auto-canceling is simply landing during either of those frame windows

the other, less correct interpretation of auto-canceling is finishing the move entirely before you land which has the same effect (but even better since you can do other actions) but isn't technically auto-canceling since you're not canceling anything

joeplicate

Smash Master
moves have frames in them that act like jump lag, where if you land during them it'll act like you just came down with a jump

marth's nair has them in the middle, which is why you can jump up, nair immediately, and fast fall down without l-canceling and still be fine

if you did a fullhop nair, though, the "jump frames" at the end of the move would take up air time, and you couldn't do another move before they were all finished

in my experience, any time you land with these jump frames is an autocancel
(and there's the brawl status, which is ffing right after the move ends, like sheik's early fair into tilt)

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
i knew about autocancel frames and the like. i just didnt know if those 3 examples were all called the same thing, even though they are all using the same mechanic

GSUB

Smash Lord
I think that's the exact definition of latter, but I think it cna be applied to anything multiple, not too sure.

And the bowser one would be a platform cancel, not an autocancel, unless you're autocancelling it ;)

Jun.

Smash Lord
I just found something

When you're playing as marth and you shorthop, you can fair real quick and at the end of the duration of the initial fair you can input another fair resulting in two fairs in a shorthop.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
And the bowser one would be a platform cancel, not an autocancel, unless you're autocancelling it ;)
wouldn't that platform cancel still be an autocancel, just that it's called a platform cancel cuz it's on a platform?

like missile canceling

Kira-

Smash Champion
wow that was surprisingly interesting. thanks. fly made me laugh the hardest though

found a cool aerial interrupt with falco

on yoshi's story with falco, if you short hop from a side platform to the top platform, you will barely not reach it (similar to falcon's forward full jump from the ground to the top platform on yoshi's barely not getting there.) but if you do a d-air right when your body is rising to the platform, you will land on the platform with no lag. you don't get the aerial lag, or any landing lag, ur just standing on the platform, and you can dash/jump/drop thru/fsmash or whatever instantly

try it a couple times and you'll find the timing
that is amazing

tech chasing just became broken. does the dair hitbox come out at all? as in can you hit someone with that cancelled dair

and moves can autocancel before they come out? that is also amazing. ima use audio mindgames and **** you all up

I just found something

When you're playing as marth and you shorthop, you can fair real quick and at the end of the duration of the initial fair you can input another fair resulting in two fairs in a shorthop.
lol jun. that was the shlt in 2004. but gj for figuring it out yourself instead of stealing it from some scrubby combo vid

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
tech chasing just became broken. does the dair hitbox come out at all? as in can you hit someone with that cancelled dair

and moves can autocancel before they come out? that is also amazing. ima use audio mindgames and **** you all up
You can't get the early autocancel frames on any aerial once the hitbox has come out, and generally the sound won't come out either until the hitbox does. One exception might be GW's fair, which autocancels only the first 2 frames, but the hitbox doesn't come out until frame 10, so if you land during frame 3-9 of the aerial, no hitbox comes out but you still have to lcancel; it looks like you just appeared on the ground holding a box for no reason, and I think the sound might come out a bit earlier than frame 10.

Donkey Kong's fair is the only aerial that has no autocancel frames.

Y'all should know about this site:
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/superdoodleman/frames.html

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
I just found something

Time traveling Ken thanks you

Fabian

Smash Journeyman
I just found something

try fair and at the end throw an uair against like a space animal
its cool cuz the uair messes up their tech timing and they'll just fall

Top Bottom