• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So you're getting pressured.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Find me a new thing to do for these habits when you're getting lol'd. Some of them, I still do. Others, not so much, but who knows, maybe you guys might have them.

1) Spring > D-air spam (you're getting juggled)

2) Down-B spam (you're getting pushed off the edge)

3) ???Homing attack??? (why?)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I sometimes do the first one, but sometimes I just abuse SDSC for no apparent reason...

I find the best way to avoid Spring > Dair spam is that once you get punished for it, it should be a clue that you're not doing it at the right time.

So maybe instead of Spring > Dair, you could simply Spring > Freefall, or maybe even position yourself do Dair ONTO the Spring for Spring Canceled Aerials.

:093:

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Here's a weird thing I do, Spring, face one way but DI the other way, then Dair onto people. o_O

Tenki

Smash Hero
well, the one I'm most concerned with personally is the Spring D-air spam because that's the most common and most punished move I do.

The situation is where you're being juggled.

So like, if you get hit, you're probably about to get hit by something even more painful if you don't do something about it.

Main reaction is to spring. But of course, after you spring, you might want to D-air down.

If you don't play your cards right, you will either get hit out of your D-air, or you'll float down but get grabbed out of your landing.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I often get punished for upB->dair.
I really gotta learn to ease up on that.

Oh, but check it Tenki:

UpB when getting juggled, and if you could time it right, fall toward the opponent and footstool.

It's much more reliable that I initially thought.

Tenki

Smash Hero
but you see, BigLou would shield the spring, jump in front of your D-air and be like,

"**** your priority Sonic" and B/F/U/N(? maybe)-air you out of it.

Also, I don't think you can do anything to ROB's U-air other than airdodge.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I often get punished for upB->dair.
I really gotta learn to ease up on that.

Oh, but check it Tenki:

UpB when getting juggled, and if you could time it right, fall toward the opponent and footstool.

It's much more reliable that I initially thought.
What did I tell you ****ers yesterday on the Sonic tech lab >_>

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sometimes a falling Nair works. Falling Nairs can also lead into a grab or a jab combo if you hit it right.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I find that if you're getting juggled and you've done a number of spring > dairs, if you just do a dair, it'll hit em because they wouldn't be expecting it and you can get out of the lag before they can retaliate.

Getting pushed of the stage... well, that would mean that you're constantly shielding, constantly having that shield hit, and constantly getting back on, doing the lather, rinse, repeat thing. Try a spotdodge.

Why Homing Attack? Because no one expects you to use such a godawful move.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Getting pushed of the stage... well, that would mean that you're constantly shielding, constantly having that shield hit, and constantly getting back on, doing the lather, rinse, repeat thing. Try a spotdodge.
Maybe powergrab more? Instead of just letting the shield constantly take hits, react with and out of a powershield.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Well, I know why and when you can use HA, but I don't really see the situation where you'd habitually start spamming it lol.

Like, I can understand spindashes, since for some reason, when people get hit while charging down-B, they tend to charge it again. Or if you get hit while doing a side-B recovery, you'll side-B again.

To clarify, I mean I want alternative movements to do when:

1) Getting juggled (because currently, spring>D-air is a rather poor move to do to escape lol)
2) Getting hit/pushed off the stage (usually SH aerials push you off while you charge/try to do side/down-B. This usually leads to getting hit out of your spindash charge a few times.)
3) ?? (can't think of any reason why someone would reactively do homing attack too often)

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
ok.

1) Airdodge. lol.
2) Hmmmm... I've not been in this situation, so I wouldn't know.
3) ?? (my guess would be that they taught themselves wrong)

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
Find me a new thing to do for these habits when you're getting lol'd. Some of them, I still do. Others, not so much, but who knows, maybe you guys might have them.

1) Spring > D-air spam (you're getting juggled)

2) Down-B spam (you're getting pushed off the edge)

3) ???Homing attack??? (why?)
Weird, my Sonic doesn't do any of those. :confused:

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
wow, i actually dont know how to respond to that oof the bat, maybe its because i do a whole bunch of things, or maybe it is I dont get juggled too much. All I can say is, if you can find any of my vids, feel free to use that and see what I do, because i would have to do the same thing before i tell you. but i know i do spring dairs alot, but honestly its more of a zoning tactic for me...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Has anybody thought of a aerial SpinDash yet?

Wouldn't the hop and the invincibility frames get you out of a tight spot if you decided not to switch up your Spring game?

Still I'd rather use a Spring all the time.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
The time it takes before you get that frames you'll be long time. And it depends on if your shield get pressured, or you're actually being hit. Spring > SD

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
sideB's hop can definitely get you out of a tight spot when timed correctly... otherwise you'll still get hit. Keep ur cool when doing it.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
that kind of comment make me :( . jk
so far ive had one every month since the thread came out... cool...
It wasn't meant that way.

When I look at the combo video, I'll occasionally scope back and forward a view pages to see what's up, but I don't get involved too much.

That, and because I was unaware that what I said was already mentioned there.

I really should take a look in there more extensively..

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Pressured? The most common thing i would do was Spring, but NO DAIR. i never do that, at all. I am more of a footstooler when i try to come down with the spring. But, i rarely get juggled. Pressured, yes. And I also ASC cancel when i am pressured. Thing works like a charm. :)

Side B in the air? Sounds risky...But, if you guize say so, i'll try it. Lets hope the infzy frames work.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I usually bair when being pressured. Then again I'm usually the offensive one, so that's pretty rare.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Side-B is no good Speed.

I've been thinking about it, and Spring Jump really is the best thing you have.

I mean if you're already being juggled, why not just try to escape the **** and hope you can score a free 4% on the way out? The only thing that can happen is you keep getting juggled, but there's nothing to lose in that case since you're just restarting with your opponent potentially being 4% closer to death.

*nod nod.*

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Side-B is no good Speed.

I've been thinking about it, and Spring Jump really is the best thing you have.

I mean if you're already being juggled, why not just try to escape the **** and hope you can score a free 4% on the way out? The only thing that can happen is you keep getting juggled, but there's nothing to lose in that case since you're just restarting with your opponent potentially being 4% closer to death.

*nod nod.*
yeah, i hoped someone would get get on me for that. It sounds so risky...I always spring, but i just cant dair. I've seen too much punishment on other Sonics from dairing. So, Springing is really the best option we've got here. Dair if you dare.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Spring in desired direction and fair to push yourself further away then dair? Bair usually can push them back if they try to shield grab. I don't know. I guess if you know they will punish you hard for springing/dair maybe you should consider just DIing out of their or springing and dairing as soon as possible.

Foxtrot>Shield+Forward

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. spring and freefall and bair them.
its a kid theory, bait goes through a lot of smashes and tilts that people use to punish free fall

2. fair
if you are facing a physical character without any range augmentation (i.e. without a sword) fair works well as a combo breaker. try it against kirby pika, yosh, and other characters like that

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Pressure? Oh, I just up b out of shield and mix up my landings. I also do aerials out of shield depending on whatever.

infomon

Smash Scientist
2. fair
if you are facing a physical character without any range augmentation (i.e. without a sword) fair works well as a combo breaker. try it against kirby pika, yosh, and other characters like that
lollllll

playing Sonic, I always forget that we even can use aerials out of hitstun as a means to avoid being juggled. Because our aerials are rather mediocre at it, lol. I should try it more though, I could prolly escape a lot of stuff with Fair or even Uair that I'm just not trying.

So thanx for mentioning this.

The BlackChrimson

Smash Apprentice
I suppose on your fighting style in a match really depends on how your response to being preasured/juggled would be.

To be honest, I do Spring -> dair a lot...and I mean a lot...
However, I sideB more to juggle my opponent, so being juggled myself is rather rare...

For the homing attack, I find it tto be the most versitile attack there is; it gets you back on the stage without burning up any other jumps! It's funny too, because there are those who try and ledgehog/fsmash (or any other attack like Falcon "PAWNCH") because the homing attack would likely hook around to the back of them, and is at times too fast to be struck by the attack your opponent is trying to use to klnock you away again.

..Heh, just saying.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
If they can't hit you out of HA, or at least sheild and punish, they're doing it wrong. Be wary of spring dairing as eventually you're opponent will start hitting you out or on landing if you get predictable with it.

PhoenixoKaZe

Smash Ace
NNID
Toffykun
even, so it`s better to mix up spring> d-air and other recovery options, and d-airing towards a oppenent charging a smash atack usually ends up getting hit again

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Spring to Dair can be alright if you space it so you land without any lag. Aside from that and even including that, people catch on after about the 2nd one. I tend to start throwing out tilts way to much as well.

And on the topic of HA, if you are getting pressured in a timing game (ie that are using laggy moves but predicting you flawlessly) you can use it to screw with their timing. EG You are getting Utilt juggled, just before you enter their range you use HA they wiff the utilt/usmash and get hit. So next time you go above them they are wary of the HA so you shorten it and again they shield/dodge/attack too late and get hit. But that only works once or twice on decent players.
Tbh I'd love to find more uses for HA but they seem limited to suprise moves only. Maybe once a set for some steak if it hits?

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
When someone is juggling me...I usually DI tenki

What could ROB or whoever hes playing be doing that U cant possibly DI the followup for? Springs are for guarenteed hits, characters that cant chase and have u in something mid-air or a mix-up. If you are going to spring though...make sure its a reverse up-b.

Just because ur sonic...doesnt mean u must spring out of everything.

(also fair or upair are nice c-c-c-combo breakers)

When coming back to the stage...i cant say much cause i often go into autopilot and down-b/side-b spam.

The BlackChrimson

Smash Apprentice
On the HA subject, I think the it's the most enderestimated move around...
I mean, it has descent range (actually it's very good), so it can be used for recovery, it can be used to cancel an opponent from spaming one attack over and over, and because of it's range, it's not a bad recovery tool to get back onto the stage.

Heh, I have a few fun combos with both Spin Dashes and Homing attack that could possibly leave your opponent confused and with high damage. Of course it really wouldn't require you use as much patients and skill as much as you need you opponent to be careless, unless you need practice with SD and HA...

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Yes, HA has its uses, but if HA is shielded, prepare yourself.

Top Bottom