• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I guess ICs are "S Tier" now :) / :( ?

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Welcome to a competitive scene.
i know, right? GA people don't really play that gay (well, we have one wario that tries to play gay, but he's bad at it...), so it was new for me to be CP'd MK in friendlies... >_>

i just realized a lot of things at mlg, and not using ICs in comp play was one of them. i like how i play ICs and i don't intend on changing that just because i might get some money out of it. having fun with ICs is main focus, winning tourneys is only secondary.

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I play to win too. And in a competitive scene players will always do anything they can to win (as long as the ruleset allows it). And you really shouldn't complain about that.

If you just want to have fun, invite some friends, get beer, order some pizza and play with them. But don't attend at tourneys.

Edit: Oh and I have fun playing with how I'm playing. I feel very happy when I beat an opponent who really knows his/her character. I don't even like playing against someone who doesn't abuse his/her characters abilities to win.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
see, thats why i'm picking up g&w. i don't have a set style with im, and i don't feel any strong connection to the character that would keep me from playing gay. i do understand what you're saying. like i said, a lot of realizations. i want to get better at the game and i see now that ICs (even if i did play gay) can't really do that for me in a broad sense. smashfests are fun, but it gets old when all fo your friends are going to tourneys and getting better and ****** while you just sit there trying to get your grabs done faster.

Smoom77

Smash Master
I disagree on the fact that ICs can't improve. You make it sound like ICs are ALL grabs. I learn desyncs, practice them, find situations to use them in REAL MATCHES, learn matchups, help other people learn the ICs matchup. You're following the influence of others too strongly.

But if the influence is that strong, I guess you can go with it.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i just see gws as having a better chance in a competative enviromnet (desite now being near worthless now, but i digress). he has better stage options, a more varied list of positive matchups (though i will conced that his bad matchups do consist fo comon characters such as MK and snake), less of a necessity to rely on gimicks, better edge game, and crazy juggling abilities. coupled with his ridiculous kill power and abilty to live to high percents with good DI/bucket braking, it just seems like i could perform better using him and forego the whole "chase me" game that seems so prevalent vs ICs. (note, i'm not sayign he's a better character, i'm just noting that i personally feel i can do better and go farther with him in a true(er) competative environment.

like i said, i still fully intend to keep using ICs in friendlies/crews, but hopefully once i get better as a player all together, i can come back to them with less of a "stck it up" mentaility and more of a strategic play style. honestly, i'm very bad at most universal techs in this game, but playing ICs covers that up in a lot of situations. i'm hoping that developing a more complete set of tech skill will help me play ICs all the better, but with all the bull that they have to go through for tourney matches i don't really have that oportunity outside of friendlies or adapting with a new character. and since tourney players hate facing ICs, even in friendlies (nothing wrong with that), i'm kind of stuck.

Teh Future

Smash Master
i think playing only as ICs limits your ability to improve to some extent. I don't think there is any Ice Climber player that plays exclusively ICs. but you can pick up other characters to improve your knowledge of the game and still play ICs in tournament and in friendlies sometimes. I play other characters than ICs in friendlies more often than not and in MMs.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
thats true. i guess i just lost a lot of faith in my climbers this weekend. i mean, i'm seeing my friends playing incredibly well with DK, ZSS, yoshi, and luigi while i'm just gettign molested with a supposedly A teir character.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
I just came in here to send some shoutouts to all the Ice Climber mains at Raleigh. It was fun hangout with you all and watching you all play. Pretty sure you know who you are and some of you won't check this anyway :laugh:.

Vinnie

Smash Master
Frozenhobo, I'm doing the opposite of what you're doing. I don't find G&W fun anymore at all. I've been messing around with ICs lately, looking to main them, even after establishing a name for myself as a solid top G&W. However, I've realized the power of having both as a main. I'm completely in love with Rainbow Cruise as a counterpick... but guess what! When they ban Rainbow Cruise... I CP FD & ICs ^_^. Also against Falco, I ban SV, and if they take me to FD, I go ICS lol.

It's a really dangerous combo and it's awesome, and you can still play G&W in friendlies or whatever so you don't have to play ICs in friendlies if you don't want to. For me, I also play Peach and a few other characters, so I have a wide array of characters that I can choose from in friendlies. I find G&W too boring after 2.5 years of playing him :(. Also, if you do this character combo, you can also have a solid doubles character :D.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i was seconding gws before, but focusing more on him now. i loved that he could cover any bad stage i had with ICs. i definitely will go back to ICs, just probably not for a while/until i feel i actually feel i've improved some. right now i just feel that i'm overall a poor player and that won't change if i stick with my ICs (at least for the time being).

edit: i'm also disappointed that i didn't get to talk with you about gws while i was there :( could have helped me out a lot.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I mained GW for a long time and was considered the best gw by many when I did main him. As soon as I switched to IC's I started placing even better in tournaments though, I find GW by himself has way too many really hard match-ups(MK/Snake/Olimar/Marth/Diddy) that are really common and that just takes a lot out of you when playing in tournament.

Having him as a secondary for IC's though is great because of the stages. Snake still sucks to play against but I just usually go IC's for snake and win a good amount. GW isn't as good as MK/DDD for a secondary but he's way up there and he's a lot of fun to play :). It's been over a year since I've dropped GW and I've even picked up another secondary aside from him and stopped playing GW even in doubles but people STILL sometimes ban rainbow cruise instead of FD against me lol and it's almost never counterpicked.

Just people knowing that you have a good gw will make them not go RC against you.

meepxzero

Smash Master
I commend people for trying to learn a secondary with icies. Its essential at this point in the metagame. ic cant win alone anymore and to be honest I dont see their metagame evolving anymore every gimmik ic can do has been pretty much discovered and half the gimmiks can be avoided by just staying in the air.

I reccommend people play fox if they wanna play smarter with ics. They both have a very similar game because they have both have low priority moves and require a lot of thinking.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
...Huh? Ic's have some of the highest priority in the game with their disjointed hitboxes...

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
That still doesn't make sense. ICs have plenty of range and actually can beat out like every move that clashes because they have two active hitboxes.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Personally, I'm gotten much better since my DROPPED my secondary. I don't see the need for a secondary right now.

-looks at Lain at apex-

Also, why do you say the metagame is stalling?

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
Good luck FP. I hope a secondary helps you.
As a side note, I actually picked up Diddy and MK as my secondaries.

On another note, I went to a tourney on Saturday with only a few hours of sleep so I was playing really off that day in friendlies (dropping grabs and losing to link mains =/ and other players that I normally ****) and decided not to enter.
On the other hand, TC1 invited me to play some dodge brawl so I ended up teaming up with him, Catnip, Delphiki, VonDarkMoon, (or something like that) F8, and Ignis, against jeepysol, sake, arikie, a link main named Ninja, some rob main (Beast I think?), count (ddd) and a few other people I didn't know.
Anywayyysss, I went in second as IC and took out 7 stocks before losing my last to the rob main. We progressed nicely with our lead but then some people in our team started doing really badly. Eventually they sent in sake (super beast snake) and we sent in tc1. TC1 took out two of his stocks before he lost his last. Next we sent in catnip who took out sake but lost two stocks in the process. Next up was jeepysol who took out catnip and ran through a good amount of stocks before he was taken out. Finally we sent in our last player who had one stock left against count.
Needless to say, even with that lead I gave my team, we ended up losing =(
Should be up on youtube soon if not now, so I'll be sure to post it when it does.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I took 10 stocks in the last crew battle I was in and we still lost -.-.

Vinnie

Smash Master
Vinnie mains G&W, ICs, and Peach, but is trying to use ICs a LOT more.
Vinnie is 17 years old.
Vinnie is a top NY player.
Vinnie thinks ICs are the 2nd best character in the game.
Vinnie is really nice.
Vinnie's favorite color is red.
Vinnie is innovative.
Vinnie thinks IC CGs are kind of broke -_- but will do them relentlessly.
Vinnie loves smash.
Vinnie's favorite stage is Rainbow Cruise.
Vinnie thinks ICs only lose to MK, and possibly ROB.
Vinnie thinks ICs do decently on Rainbow Cruise.

Add me to the OP! O.~

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Me,Vinne, and Hylian.

anyone else do the Icies/G&W team?

lain

Smash Master
Personally, I'm gotten much better since my DROPPED my secondary. I don't see the need for a secondary right now.

-looks at Lain at apex-

Also, why do you say the metagame is stalling?
You need a good secondary for gay stages. Sure, IC's can probably win on them, but why put all of your effort into two games, the 2nd one being an almost guaranteed lose? Get them 2-0's son

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
lains right, when you lose game 2 on a gay stage, your momentum from winning game 1 has vanished and its pretty tough to get that 2nd win sometimes

thats why in melee hugs would sometimes forfeit game 2 and just **** on his CP so he could keep his momentum.

(i think it was Hugs)

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
edit: also, where the **** were you at Raleigh?
I pretty much quit smash. I'm tired of trying to get hyped up and go places and enjoy myself only to be shut down by my parents. I tried to go to Raleigh. I really did. I'm just done.
That still doesn't make sense. ICs have plenty of range and actually can beat out like every move that clashes because they have two active hitboxes.
I find this untrue. Many characters out prioritize and out range IC's. Or maybe just on the higher end of the tier list. But still.
You need a good secondary for gay stages. Sure, IC's can probably win on them, but why put all of your effort into two games, the 2nd one being an almost guaranteed lose? Get them 2-0's son
Second MK. O.o

Teh Future

Smash Master
ICs can win on RC.

imma try practicing on norfair, i dont think its that bad tbh. larry adhd they both do fine against mk on those stages w/ characters that people used to say are hopeless for them.

**** brinstar.

also lain come to ohio

edit:

examplesss: i did well at the last tourney i went to in ohio but i almost lost first round because i sd'd first game at like 30%. I won game 3 on RC against a lucario "tactical" i don't know if hes very good or not, but lucario ics is =(

Ive also beaten domo's mk on RC in tournament

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
i think RC is better than brinstar for ICs

brinstar forces you to be on that platform sometimes which is just gay...

and on RC you at least have a lot of room to run during the gayer parts

Top Bottom