• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So does Samus suck now, or am I missing somthing

VirisKnite

Smash Journeyman
Samus should be immune to tripping. Seriously she can run at the speed of sound and plow throw practically everything. The power suit has ultimate traction.

But yeah gum that sucks.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
I've seen some good Samus's, though in my opinion I think the low amount of hitback her smashes and even her fully charged beam, and even the questionably short length of her grapple beam kind of contradict the fighting style she seems to be engineered to gear towards which just seems like programmer blunder to me.

I mean...even looking at this from a totally clueless point of view, you'd think a character that seems to be long range would have an even slightly longer grapple right?

Losing a match to tripping would make anyone quit so don't worry about that.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
well the thing about it is like what if that was more than just a little money match ya know? It could have been a really big tourney with a big cash pot. The fact that it happened and we were playing for money means that it can happen to anyone playing any match for any amount of money, and that in itself is bull**** my freinds.

Coldfront

Smash Apprentice
Yea, that's true. I wonder why they put that in the game, or at least why didn't they give us the option to turn it off.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
well the thing about it is like what if that was more than just a little money match ya know? It could have been a really big tourney with a big cash pot. The fact that it happened and we were playing for money means that it can happen to anyone playing any match for any amount of money, and that in itself is bull**** my freinds.
Don't quit because of that, Gum. It can be very demoralizing to lose against another person, even by a slip up. I've never been to any tournaments, but I'll tell you that there have been many times when I just wanted to quit, Gum. Do you remember that one time when I posted a thread called, "I'm a noob"? I was so frustrated and so angry for losing against my friend a lot. I had only won one match out of like ten matches total. It was especially demoralizing when I had lost against his Samus, which I doubt he ever plays as or mains.

The point is that even in all of this, I have made several comebacks. I've showed that I wasn't as bad as I thought I was, and there are times when I do wish to quit. Don't quit because of this one thing. Don't you recall the time you said you were asked by a fellow, "Who do you play as?" and then you said, "Samus." The guy, according to you, said, "Doesn't she suck?" and you told him, yes, Samus is a terrible character in Brawl. Yet, after that, you went out and destroyed those Marths and Meta Knights.

I know it's your choice on whether you wish to quit or not. I'm just hoping you stay.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
One thing I hate the most is that her ground grapple is half the length of her aerial grapple. Give the move no lag in the air, but 100 times more lag on the ground. Sakurai is on drugs. Kojima could make a better smash game if he tried >.>

Crystanium

Smash Hero
One thing I hate the most is that her ground grapple is half the length of her aerial grapple. Give the move no lag in the air, but 100 times more lag on the ground. Sakurai is on drugs. Kojima could make a better smash game if he tried >.>
Super Metroid, anyone? Samus' Grappling Beam comes out and returns really, really fast. Why not the same for Brawl? :dizzy:

Cyan Yoshi

Smash Rookie
Look you just suck with Samus I kick butt with Samus it just matters about your skill with the character your are cause I kick butt with her but I suck with Ike but someone else may be good with Ike but sucks with Samus it really depends on your skill though they should of gave Samus more like ice beam.

Ravin

Smash Lord
Ive actually noticed a huge improvement with Samus <.< To be honest.

1. Mindgames - She has sick Midrange long Range mindgames, with the New Zair as well, its hard for your opponiet to be able to tell whats going on, considering you have two extra moves over them (If you want to include homing and smash missiles along with Zair.

2. Combos - Her Uair hard to hit? nonsense. Apply pressure, platforms are a most, BF, Smash, So forth. A simple Fair into Dtilt follow with a Uair into smash missile to keep the pressure on them hardcore.

3. Edgegame. - Samus is excellent off the ledge. Her recovery as boosted and bomb jump is a little useless outside of mindgames.

4. Pressure. - Samus is not like anyone else. Links or TL and so forth with projectiles. Too keep your oppionet air dodging when trying to recover or when your recovering. It keeps those peskey edgers off you and allows you to take advantage of the frame when they airdodge into a landing. A quick shoulder or Zair smacks them good.

5. - Dspike - Sweet Jesus I cannot say how sexy it is when you combo someone into a nice 55% hit them off, then run over, shorthop Dspike without them even knowing what is going on. A samus spike is always a well needed practice.

<.< Just need to adjust, there is plenty of game for Samus, don't let your hopes down. Ill be more then happy to play some matches with people and show them some sexy combos and edgegames.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Look you just suck with Samus I kick butt with Samus it just matters about your skill with the character your are cause I kick butt with her but I suck with Ike but someone else may be good with Ike but sucks with Samus it really depends on your skill though they should of gave Samus more like ice beam.
now who exactly is this post directed at?

Gum

Smash Journeyman
Don't quit because of that, Gum. It can be very demoralizing to lose against another person, even by a slip up. I've never been to any tournaments, but I'll tell you that there have been many times when I just wanted to quit, Gum. Do you remember that one time when I posted a thread called, "I'm a noob"? I was so frustrated and so angry for losing against my friend a lot. I had only won one match out of like ten matches total. It was especially demoralizing when I had lost against his Samus, which I doubt he ever plays as or mains.

The point is that even in all of this, I have made several comebacks. I've showed that I wasn't as bad as I thought I was, and there are times when I do wish to quit. Don't quit because of this one thing. Don't you recall the time you said you were asked by a fellow, "Who do you play as?" and then you said, "Samus." The guy, according to you, said, "Doesn't she suck?" and you told him, yes, Samus is a terrible character in Brawl. Yet, after that, you went out and destroyed those Marths and Meta Knights.

I know it's your choice on whether you wish to quit or not. I'm just hoping you stay.
Yeah I definitely get what you are saying, but its not so much the fact that I lost that is the problem. Its the fact that I lost because of tripping while playing for money that is the problem. Something extraneous and random caused me to lose money, which is not good in a game that is competitive. Of course we know that Sakurai didnt want Brawl to be competitive, so I guess its my own fault. This just says to me that I shouldnt be playing competitively with game that wasnt meant to be competitive.

VirisKnite

Smash Journeyman
Okay I don't know if this has been said in any of threads on how to save or improve brawl or the SSB4 thread, but Gum's last post made me think of one thing: Super Smash Bros Brawl Tournament Edition. Lol, j/k but still it probably would be a good improvement... hopefully... maybe not... sigh.

The real reason Im quitting is that I lost a money match to tripping. that in itself ruins it for me. I tripped into an ike fsmash.
Oh Boo Hoo >_>

I've placed money on matches myself and have lost because of tripping (Tripping onto a Snake C4/Landmine, DDD Fsmash,Falcon Punch etc.), I can guarentee you I have worse luck than many people in this thread <_<.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
Oh Boo Hoo >_>

I've placed money on matches myself and have lost because of tripping (Tripping onto a Snake C4/Landmine, DDD Fsmash,Falcon Punch etc.), I can guarentee you I have worse luck than many people in this thread <_<.
Exactly, so to continue to place money down in tourneys if you keep tripping into stuff is silly. Thats exactly my point. Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice...

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I feel like they nerfed everything and buffed 3 things

zair
d-tilt
dair

My entire samus game now revolves around playing ***** and spacing with zair. punishing with d-tilt and luring them off the edge for meteors. It actually works.....

w0re

Smash Rookie
He isn't as good as The two previous games. But I guess you really need to know the Character well & adapt all it's moves if you want to be good.

I don't have much of a problem with him now, TBH. But I haven't used him enough. Dark Night is my favourite - Quick & effective.

brg

Smash Ace
NOTHING comes close to the awesomeness of melee samus

Maybe dedede to some extent but thats it

Gum

Smash Journeyman
He isn't as good as The two previous games. But I guess you really need to know the Character well & adapt all it's moves if you want to be good.

I don't have much of a problem with him now, TBH. But I haven't used him enough. Dark Night is my favourite - Quick & effective.
Errr...'him?' Please don't tell you think Samus is a dude. That would be an epic fail on your part.

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
It was one of the first things I noticed when I got brawl. Samus it just a hole lot weaker on the whole. At first I told myself I just needed to adapt to the new game but its been a couple mounts now. I've throughly adapted my Jigs and Peach, my Zelda got a automatic boost and not much adaption was needed. Samus however still seems to lose horribly. I don't know what to do now. I don't want to drop her, she's my favorite character, always has been from going back to the 64 days. But now I even have difficulty defeating a L9 CPU with her. I'm in desperate need of advice.
A good Samus played right is a Snake-killing character. You may need to watch other people do some of the more fancy techs before you get the hang of it, but she is actually a viable character against some of the higher tiers.

So you have a few options: Stick around with Samus and master all her advanced techs, then decide what to do. Or move her as your secondary character and find a new main. Or just drop playing Samus altogether.

ADHD

Smash Hero
A good Samus played right is a Snake-killing character. You may need to watch other people do some of the more fancy techs before you get the hang of it, but she is actually a viable character against some of the higher tiers.

So you have a few options: Stick around with Samus and master all her advanced techs, then decide what to do. Or move her as your secondary character and find a new main. Or just drop playing Samus altogether.
Says the person who fell for my spamus tactics.

I tried the same way on another snake and I failed :(

Azorpatch

Smash Cadet
"I didn't know that about the using the Zair while in air dodge, but alot of times its to late to do it again. It seems to happen most ofter when trying to use it grape the edge of the stage or hit someone who's edge guarding and by then I end up in the pit. Not usually when I'm on the stage though."

Do as I do and use shield, then A to grab. I'm a wiimote/nunchuk user so I'm used to not having a grab button.

Lovely

Smash Lord
I play better with Samus in Brawl then Melee. All I wanted to do is graple gard -> b-air so they won't come back. It works well with me, but I'm not sure if others thought of this. But however, the Super Missiles are harder to kill someone with, but the bigger Charge Blast makes up for. I would go on, but someone could explan things way better then I can.

0RLY

Why do all the "Samus sucks" thread attract noobs? Almost nobody other than a select few Samus mains I frequently see on this board know what they're talking about. Adept Samus players know Samus isn't that good and an average potential. Everyone else posting here thinks that the great Samus users are downsizing Samus' potential. If you think Samus is good, try playing against an actual human player with actual skill. Samus is a pretty average character, don't go around saying she iz top tierz just because you beat your friend with her. Go to a real tournament and see how you fare.

TaurusOxford

Smash Rookie
Why do all the "Samus sucks" thread attract noobs? Almost nobody other than a select few Samus mains I frequently see on this board know what they're talking about. Adept Samus players know Samus isn't that good and an average potential. Everyone else posting here thinks that the great Samus users are downsizing Samus' potential. If you think Samus is good, try playing against an actual human player with actual skill. Samus is a pretty average character, don't go around saying she iz top tierz just because you beat your friend with her. Go to a real tournament and see how you fare.
Ok, Samus is not a top tier character, but she in no way sucks. Also, I have played against human players who have equal skill as me, and have used Samus to beat their Metaknights and Snakes and Falcos etc etc.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
^This

Seriously, I rarely see Samus placing well, and the people who do well with her say she's not that great.

Whenever someone talks about beating their friends, I laugh my *** off.

w0re lost the game.

Julz

Smash Apprentice
I'd be happy with middle tier. Not overused for that surprise factor but not crap to the point where that advantage is meaningless. The one thing I can't stand is the lack of priority with her moves at close range.

Julz

Smash Apprentice
dair, fsmash and bair. fair doesn't work on some characters despite it being buffed. I can't use dtilt on it's own anymore.

0RLY

Ok, Samus is not a top tier character, but she in no way sucks. Also, I have played against human players who have equal skill as me, and have used Samus to beat their Metaknights and Snakes and Falcos etc etc.
I never said she sucks. Why would I main her if she sucks?

If your friends can't beat you with top tier characters, then they obviously don't have equal skill as you.

TaurusOxford

Smash Rookie
I never said she sucks. Why would I main her if she sucks?

If your friends can't beat you with top tier characters, then they obviously don't have equal skill as you.
Well ok, maybe I said that wrong. I just get tired of hearing constant crap from people who keep calling Samus a bad character.

Hive

Smash Lord
Well ok, maybe I said that wrong. I just get tired of hearing constant crap from people who keep calling Samus a bad character.
people are always gonna say stuff like that about samus in brawl no matter what .... just hold your head up and let them eat lazer whip. :)

but yea.... its really hard to pull off a good tournament samus compared to other characters... but I think most samus users now are sort of determined to stick to samus anyways just cuz they love the games so much... ^^

M@v

Subarashii!
She'll be very lucky to make middle tier. Actually, low tier might be a struggle for her --__--.

Top Bottom