• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So Armada is beating Hbox with Ylink.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
The problems Hungrybox had vs YLink had more to do with Bair not having a hitbox above Jigglypuff, his decision to delete WD OOS from his repertoire for the entire set, and missing a few Rest opportunities. The matchup might be fine for YLink, but Hungrybox is really not combating the character change effectively. Bairing and jumping around is poor against a character who combos off projectiles that hit through moves.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I disagree completely
The only characters that give YL serious problems are Sheik, Falco, Fox and Falcon(and a couple of others). Thats why he isn't very viable. I don't believe I've ever seen Hungrybox play any other characters in tournament besides Jigglypuff hence why I say its his main weakness.

The King

Smash Ace
He also needs to learn to stop chasing him in the air when he has a bomb.
^This lol. That pretty much sums up half the matchup on Jigg's side of it. Try to eliminate large stages like Dreamland & FD if possible, stick to closer-quarters stages. Then try to stay within about 3 character lengths away at all times, with your positioning priority being that you (Jiggs) are never directly underneath or located horizontally (while not shielding or in the air) of Ylink's bomb projectile arc. Aside from that, just stay close and be aggressive once Ylink lands. Pre-emptive Bair placement to where Ylink is landing, or Grab/SH Nair pressure if Ylink's already landed near you, and even Pound are great options for closing the gap.

If there's one thing Germ taught me, it's *DONT* challenge bombs, ever. Just wait til he tosses one or until it's about to explode, and play patiently.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
At top level is probably 50/50. ylink has a lot more potential to be tapped, whereas puff is nearing the peak of her metagame. Hbox needs to learn the mu, but i doubt that will be enough. even if he does get better he wont out play armada again. i think if armada swithces back and forth tween ylink and peach against hbox theres no chance. Hboxs adaptive skills are not near as good as armadas. hbox has been winning becuz he is a skilled,smart, player, not an adaptive one.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ylink is so ****

good advice from the king though

hbox needed to stay closer to the ground, cuz what goes up must come down. on FD he should've just covered armada's landing options

_Keno_

Smash Lord
When's Armada's next US tourny? MSU?

Also, it will be annoying when people think I'm playing YL cause armada did. =/

rhan

Smash Hero
It's going to be mad annoying when people start to jock off Armada and start using YL. That's what happened when people started noticing PP doing work with Falco. Falco made a comeback.

I hope people realise YL is harder then he looks.

PeachEater74

Smash Apprentice
That happened to me today at a local place where people play Smash.

I'd been practicing my Doc for like 2 weeks so when I go to use Yink like, all day for the first time in a while, people start cracking Armada jokes .-.

I'm no amazing player or whatever, but damn it I've been using Yink since I unlocked him when I got the game in 02', I'm almost offended.

rhan

Smash Hero
Sole YL players have Fox and Falco to worry about. And they're everywhere. I made it to 2nd round pools with just Young Link. I'm also not that great of a player. So if someone like Armada decided to actually learn more match-ups with YL it's possible.

And omg @ how much I hate seeing that Powerpuff girl in the Young Link boards...

Armada

Smash Lord
rhan: I will only use Y link for Puff (tournaments)

So don´t expect to see my Y link very often :p

rhan

Smash Hero
I figured as much. Congrats though bro. You actually further inspired me to keep playing Young Link. <3

Armada

Smash Lord
Thanks =).

But yeah maybe i can try to work on a couple matchups and give you guys information what i think about them.

I have been playing against Falcos for a bit (when people was tiered to try Puff against my Y link). but not much enough i think.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
If there's one thing Germ taught me, it's *DONT* challenge bombs, ever. Just wait til he tosses one or until it's about to explode, and play patiently.
Doesn't this kind of put the match-up in Y. Link's favor, though? Essentially, once the bomb is pulled, he has control of the pace and positioning of the match. Jiggs is on the defensive, and Y. Link has more space control options until the bomb explodes, and if that's about to happen, he can SH, toss that one and begin pulling another one.

I mean, it's no surefire means of controlling the match, and the bomb pull is the weakest part of Y. Link's control, but I think Armada showed that there's a lot of merit to being patient when the bomb is in your hand. The fact that Y. Link has the time to choose when he throws the bomb opens up a lot of opportunities for Jiggs to screw up.

vs. samus?
I've been waiting for Armada vs. HugS for a while. Here's hoping we see that at Genesis 2 instead of PP vs. HugS

PeachEater74

Smash Apprentice
vs. samus?
That's a pretty annoying match for Young Link. It's also just a boring *** match in general. He's got trouble killing Samus, and he can't do much to her on the ground for a while because she can just CC everything he does, and one of his best KO moves is his dsmash. You gotta keep her in the air and out camp her. He has options against her, it's really just she can kill him way easier than he does her.

HugS™

Smash Lord
Doesn't this kind of put the match-up in Y. Link's favor, though? Essentially, once the bomb is pulled, he has control of the pace and positioning of the match. Jiggs is on the defensive, and Y. Link has more space control options until the bomb explodes, and if that's about to happen, he can SH, toss that one and begin pulling another one.

I mean, it's no surefire means of controlling the match, and the bomb pull is the weakest part of Y. Link's control, but I think Armada showed that there's a lot of merit to being patient when the bomb is in your hand. The fact that Y. Link has the time to choose when he throws the bomb opens up a lot of opportunities for Jiggs to screw up.

I've been waiting for Armada vs. HugS for a while. Here's hoping we see that at Genesis 2 instead of PP vs. HugS
Both are on my top 10 list of dream matchups in tournament.

I'd love to play Dr. PP or Armada in tournament. Not saying I'd win, it's just nice going into a match up every now and then where there is no confusion or mystery behind the player. I know what they're all about, they know what I'm all about.

Should be fun.

And yes, I name search :)

Laijin

Smash Hero
I mm'ed Hugs with my YL at ROM actually. LOL.
I doubt he remembers. It was for a $1.
I played Sheik the first round and then YL and he was like "Are seriously playing Young Link...for that dollar?". I LOL'ed.
Came down to last stock on Pokemon Stadium. Its not a bad MU. You can out camp and edge guard Samus pretty effectively.

rhan

Smash Hero
55/45. Samus' favor.

Bomb combos work just like on Jiggs but since she's heavy it's much harder to kill her. She can CC everything so you have to keep her off the ground. Her recovery is next to godlike. Though arrows ARE actually the mist useful against it. But only when she's below the edge or horizontal with it.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
atage dependant ive done that mu about 9000000000000 times. samus wins it on fd, battlefield and fountain, ylink on yoshis, dreamland, dk 64 and rainbow. poke is tied.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
You guys need to relax man.

Ylink isn't suddenly a JP counter.

But we can all agree that Armadas Ylink is sexy...right?

rhan

Smash Hero
He kind of is.

Jiggs has a hard time. Even if the player is better then you by a significant amount.

AXE 09

Smash Master
I think I'm gonna start using Ylink more :)

Peach and Jiggs are my worst matchups, and I freakin love Ylink so much.

I won't use him against Armada though. I respect him way too much to try to camp lol.

Walt

Smash Ace
You should totally go Ylink vs Armada, Axe. Become known as AXEHOLE. AXEHOLE FOR AMERICA.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Armada will CP you with young link if you go younglink against his peach.

In the future, all matchups will be YL dittos.

Top Bottom