• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SNY2 is cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kone

Smash Master
Luma - Not sure what your post is about so meh. Generally SNY1 was a large success. I would say most people would agree that the positives massively out weighed the negatives. Saying as this was the first time we had ran a European event (120+ people), catered for them all (what other tourney has done that?), ran ON TIME, had 40+ tvs AND personally supplied all the housing needs people needed pre + post tournament then yeah I am happy with that.

As I say I reckon no first large European tournament (in a series) was this good. As everything in life you learn from your mistakes. Our mistakes are very easily put right. Seeding will be co-ordinated next year through discussions with the well respected members of each European community pre-tournament. I did not do the seeding or bracket. It is something that I will do next year by taken the pressure of myself in other ways e.g. I ran 40+ tvs in a small peugeot 106. Next year I will have the finances to rent a van for three days. Will make life alot easier (this has been priced and already saved for aswell as the purchasing of a PA system).

Food has been discussed already and we will be expanding our kitchen crew. The re-thinking of meals, increase of choice and introduction of plastic plates and utensiles will increase the efficiency of the kitchen.

The rooms were simply going to be a nightmare. I had no way of knowing the layout of the venue pre-tournament. I had no room keys. People entered the venue before I did due to the road to the venue being closed (which meant I was an hour late getting there as I didn't know how to any other way :s). You really need to see the venue to understand how difficult the room situation was.

Regardless, the venue owners now trust me enough to give me the keys. When at the venue this year I went around it and made a room floor plan (for all three floors). Next year Im not going allow anyone into the venue till11-12. This will allow me from 9-11 to sort out the venue properly. With a van Ill get everything there I need me and the crew can set up properly.

The sleeping arrangement won't happen again. I think it actually only affected 6 people. Who, btw, did not come and see me about it. If I don't know I can't do anything about it. Right?!

The only other sleeping issue would be those wanting to sleep in international rooms. Except for the Swedes and Danes this happened. Ill make sure it allows for everyone next year (this was made awkward however by the fact the Swedes messed up their travel arrangements and got there very late and the Danes got in late aswell).

Regardless, we actually had a large crew for this. At times when we were serving food/washing up the crew was ten strong in the kitchen. Most of the issues aren't down to man power. Simply put, they were issues I didn't plan for either a. properly or b. did not expect. Now that I do I will. Seeding and sleeping arrangements are just logistical items that I can sort out pre tournament personally.

Next year we will have 60+ tvs. A PA system. Kitchen smoother. Beds sorted. It will be the best European tournament to date ;)

Luma

Smash Lord
well i've just read that some people werent able to sleep in a bed even though they payed for it and that either you or fuzzy just werent available

btw i never said it was a bad tournament or anything, just tried to give you some advice as a TO from the complaints i've heard

Kone

Smash Master
I know you weren't saying it was bad. The 'complaints' you've mentioned though are quite tedious. Firstly, as a TO, I am aware of what did or did not go well. Secondly, professionally I am a teacher. As a teacher part of my responsibility is 1. helping people and 2. organisation. I AM more than approachable. In fact, on more than one occassion, I went out of my way for others at this tournament. Ask the frenchies.

The people that paid for a bed and didn't get one were; unreal, jely, JD, Ace and a random Dane. At the tournament we served breakfast and dinner each day. The kitchen had a hatch that opened up to the dinning room. I would wake people for breakfast OR announc when the evening meal was served. People would then line up in the dinning room to be served their meal through the hatch.

Now, what does this have to do with the bed situation and approachability? It does so easily! twice a day I HANDED THE ABOVE FIVE PEOPLE their food PERSONALLY through a hatch. In this instance do you not think they could've said 'Kone could I have a word with you?'. If they did and mentioned the bed situation I would've sorted it. In fact, Jely, told me afterwards he never mentioned it as he could see how hard I was working and knew I would have sorted the situation easily for him. However, manly of him, he really didn't want to bother me about it as he could tell running a tournament was so much more of an issue.

Furthermore, Fuzzy was 99% of the time in the games hall and I was VERY present during the tournament. Be it in the hall, cleaning the kitchen, preparing food in the kitchen or tidying the place up. Heck, if you wanted to speak to me you could've.

JD said to me he couldn't find me when he went to bed at 2am. I am sorry, that is his fault not mine. He had all day to find me :s.

JD also asked me to refund him money for the bed 2 hours before the end of the tournament. He did this when very stoned, abruptly and at the entrance to the venue. Cornering me as I was in full flow trying to tidy the venue up/removing tvs. I said no. Which I stick to. He could've sorted his problem out within the first day by talking to me.

My point? I am approachable. BUT you HAVE TO ****ING APPROACHE ME.

lol

ddiz

Smash Journeyman
i completely agree with you! ur definately approachable......thats saying something cause i dont normally approach teachers....kone = awesome

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
ah kone finally said how i feel, and + I tried helping JD and someone said they'd give him the bed and he didn't ask them where it was -_- I even called out on the mic asking for someone to give up that bed.

The seeding wasnt biased, I asked a few people to check but there were some unknown players that should've been seeded that we didn't due to player knowledge. So stop saying they're biased please kthnx.

Remen

Smash Apprentice
I heard you gave yourself a top seed instead of Makenshi and look how that turned out, not biased at all!

Kone

Smash Master
Look at the results. I really don't think that matters much in terms of where makenshi and fuzzy finished?! they were both going to make top five and likely to play each other.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
thats not true remen, stop hearing bull**** and making up bull**** =) can you please READ when I say I didn't fix anything? Rather than instantly try and oppose my words like I'm lying

would you rather trust random people who have no idea or the person who actually made the seeds with a few others?

I infact didnt have that high a seed, I worked for my 5th place and had to play against ****ing fox players -_-

Luma

Smash Lord
ok then how did phex and panda had a random seeding in teams? phex peach is nearly as good as mine and panda isnt that bad either, so atleast you clearly ****ed up here =P

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
i didnt place makenshi above me in seeds, im 100% sure about this

i didnt change ANYTHING in the bracket apart from countries playing against their own players

the tournament was seeded fairly, the top seeds from pools got top seed, the second people got second seed and so on

if you're saying you shouldve switched me and makenshi then you obviously fix brackets to suit your OPINION

seriously STFU, I made the bracket fairly using all the pools information, check the tio file for yourself if you want (if its around)

Maybe you should look at the whole picture before being assuming

The brackets are just players names, when you realise that top 3 went through in pools the players are seeded accordingly to how they did in pools not by where are they placed in Europe or who beats who -_-

have some respect remen

Kone

Smash Master
ok then how did phex and panda had a random seeding in teams? phex peach is nearly as good as mine and panda isnt that bad either, so atleast you clearly ****ed up here =P
Doubles is always very difficult to seed especially without pools. To be honest unless you are well known names within your community, place well within regional tournaments or place well within international tournaments you will get seed ****ed. I have been regularly when travelling abroad to tournaments :s.

However, I have already mentioned that I will undertake a much more strenous seeding approach for SNY2. Discussing, in detail, the merits of each player entering via discussions with each community via their own boards.

thats not true remen, stop hearing bull**** and making up bull**** =) can you please READ when I say I didn't fix anything? Rather than instantly try and oppose my words like I'm lying

would you rather trust random people who have no idea or the person who actually made the seeds with a few others?

I infact didnt have that high a seed, I worked for my 5th place and had to play against ****ing fox players -_-
You know, it's pretty useless to keep lying when the brackets are posted for everyone to see.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/Drognan/SNYSingles.gif

Now tell me who had the top seeding in your part of the bracket(the part from Utto to Yeniths).
i didnt place makenshi above me in seeds, im 100% sure about this

i didnt change ANYTHING in the bracket apart from countries playing against their own players

the tournament was seeded fairly, the top seeds from pools got top seed, the second people got second seed and so on

if you're saying you shouldve switched me and makenshi then you obviously fix brackets to suit your OPINION

seriously STFU, I made the bracket fairly using all the pools information, check the tio file for yourself if you want (if its around)

Maybe you should look at the whole picture before being assuming

The brackets are just players names, when you realise that top 3 went through in pools the players are seeded accordingly to how they did in pools not by where are they placed in Europe or who beats who -_-

have some respect remen
Hmm you are being way to confrontational here Charles. Just to let people know I don't agree with it. As a TO try to be as approachable and tactful as possible imo.

What Remen is discussing is that as a TO you still need to rework the bracket outside of how well players performed in pools. I.e. using previous tournament results and generally known ability (common sense). For example, in the UK we would ensure you and VA were at completely different ends of the bracker EVEN IF tio did not randomise this. This is essentially one of the major gripes people express after some london events in terms of bracter seeding.

Anyway, to those reading this seeding will be much more accurate next event. Firstly, we will have much larger pre-tournament discussions regarding them AND I personally will make the bracket. At SNY1 I had other things to run and I know that with streamlining (working of lessons of sny1) I will have more time to put into bracket making etc.

Regardless, I don't think this is a topic that needs to be hot headed. There weren't even enough top european competitiors to really make seeding that important. I could've,accurately, named the top 7 before the event.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
If I remember well, the bracket was made by Armada and Fuzzyness. So I guess they both expected IVP to place a bit higher. I think that's the reason for this weaker WB quarter final.
The pools were made by Charles and me, and I must say I think he overrated a bit quite a few UKers, but overall I think the seeding was not that bad.

Luma : Phex teamed with Usleon, not Panda (not that it changes that much your point).

Anyway, I think that the various flaws that happened at this tournament are rather insignificant compared to the many positive aspects of the event. If you also add the fact that Kone appears to be taking into account every critic of SNY1 to prepare SNY2, then you can be pretty confident regarding the organization of SNY2.

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
about housing : it's been sorted out on the boards already, I admitted my responsibility in this story, and I still think that it could have been avoided with proper organization beforehand. cuz yeah, maybe it wasn't clear : the housing situation was not well sorted out. I believe next time will be great ^^.

about seeding : well I was pissed off not to have a top seed for pools, whereas professor pro had it. So I asked to be put in prof's pool and I beat him (by far :p). UK was clearly advantaged whereas only fuzzyness deserved a top seed in UK at this tournament.

pheX

Smash Apprentice
Yeeeesz Kone!! :)

Very nice that there is gonna be SNY2 .
I'm interested of course!!

The seeding was sometimes weird. I think i've proven myself to be not a random player at several german tournaments as well as in Lyon but somehow Usleon and me got bottom seed,
placing 9th though and beating "top teams like retroking and Joey". But you getting used to the fact that seeding is always difficult. And we did rock afterall, so whatever :p

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
retroking and joey just teamed for the hell of it lol, I wouldnt call them a top team epecially in europe xD

even me + prof wouldnt be one of the best teams in europe we somehow clash at times

Armada

Smash Lord
Slohka: I did a part of the bracket.

I seeded the top seeds only.

If we take top 8 i did like this
Armada/Zgetto
Faab
Fuzzy/Makenshi
IVP/Neutroni/Marc

This is like groups of the players so it means i took me and zgetto in different parts of the bracket amd Faab at the sam part like zgetto.

I took Marc in the same side as me (in quarter finals) becuase hes from holland and he "should" played against faab but hes alos from holland so i switch that.

Left is Neutroni so i placed him with zgetto and then Makenshi/fuzzy/IVP and Faab is left and yeah i can see the problem now but i am happy nothing bad happend in the end.

And i was so ****ing tired when i did the bracket so i am sorry for that part but give me some bad feedback to and not only fuzzy becuase it was my fault to.

But that will never happend again :p

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
Your only real mistake was not making me and fuzzy face each other in some way =(

VA

Smash Hero
dunno if i already said it, but ill most likely come:)
If you're coming we should team ;)

Also, is there any way this can be moved into the tournament discussion thread. I don't know what's going on with this but wouldn't it be good to hype it up with the Americans (you might already be doing this, but they won't look in here and are more likely to see it in the tournament discussion area). Plus if you put it there I'll set about inviting everyone I met/know from America.

VA

Smash Hero
Willz Says:

no eggz stay with me i like your music
Difference is I've stayed with Eggz in WA. And we gonna get ****ing drunk if Eggz stays at mine. If not I'll have other people stay and play smash etc.

Ramzeh

Smash Ace
Willz Says:

you live far away though and I live right near the main airports and the venue. and eggz knows that i am his biggest fan EVAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom