• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SNY2 is cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
..T....t....this is already up.....I'M PRACTICALLY THERE ALREADY lol.

Hungrybox it would be great if you could make it, a few people are going back to London afterwards to look at the sights so you could also do the same.....Also Zhu previously presented interest in making this event so speak to him about it if you can.

Think you could get interest any other Americans or know any who are or would be???

Edit - Wow I just realized this is LITERALLY one year away.......Oh well, lots of training time and planning for the tournament lol.

Kone

Smash Master
I think you can count me in.

See you guys there, hopefully. This is like a month after Genesis 2!
If you make it I will tell you the secret.

..T....t....this is already up.....I'M PRACTICALLY THERE ALREADY lol.

Hungrybox it would be great if you could make it, a few people are going back to London afterwards to look at the sights so you could also do the same.....Also Zhu previously presented interest in making this event so speak to him about it if you can.

Think you could get interest any other Americans or know any who are or would be???

Edit - Wow I just realized this is LITERALLY one year away.......Oh well, lots of training time and planning for the tournament lol.
Yeah it is ages away but I have it booked so I may aswell let people know ;)

Very interested, I'm already missing SNY1... I'll try my best to come.
Yeay Mahie missing you already. More pub action for you X_o

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Anyone moans about breakfast this time and I'm using lethal force.
The breakfast was GREATTT.....even I didn't expect it to be good with the money paid but I really think it was pretty good and a good start to the day.

The only thing I didn't honestly like was the spaghetti bolognese because I feel that meal needs a lot of seasoning and different spices and sauces to taste good, money which can't be used for such a large amount of people and MANYYYY people felt the same....No offence but I think that's the one meal that should not be done again.

BUTTT I do feel the food input for SNY2 should be atleast £3 for everyone this time since you got a lot with £1, imagine having 3 times that much plus MORE people actually coming to the event.

That's my opinion on the feedback on the food anyway, I thought every other meal was pretty good and worth keeping again.

Kone

Smash Master
The breakfast was GREATTT.....even I didn't expect it to be good with the money paid but I really think it was pretty good and a good start to the day.

The only thing I didn't honestly like was the spaghetti bolognese because I feel that meal needs a lot of seasoning and different spices and sauces to taste good, money which can't be used for such a large amount of people and MANYYYY people felt the same....No offence but I think that's the one meal that should not be done again.

BUTTT I do feel the food input for SNY2 should be atleast £3 for everyone this time since you got a lot with £1, imagine having 3 times that much plus MORE people actually coming to the event.

That's my opinion on the feedback on the food anyway, I thought every other meal was pretty good and worth keeping again.
Yeah, I agree with all of this. The spag bol became a big problem. The mince was really cheap and kept on producing ALOT of water. So, even though we added a basic tomato sauce and seasoned with salt/pepper the flavour got massively ruined. Add that the mushrooms and onions lacked any real flavour then it was a major flop. It won't be on the menu again.

The breakfast will stay exactly as it is except an increase in portions per person. We will look into providing proper veggy dishes and have this an option when registering so we know how to buy etc.

Will have to think about what we will make to replace the spag bol. Maybe some form of a stew, soup or meat + mash option.

Going to fry instead of using the oven for chips next time which should speed up the cooking time and warmth/taste of the chips.

Potentially, we are thinking of adding a sandwich/crisps lunchtime meal aswell. Depends on money and whether I can organise a larger kitchen team (rather than Kate with SDB when serving). Got a few girl friends that have offered their help.

But yeah there is likely to be a cost increase at this event. Could be a flat £30/£20 split (bed/not).

Lastly, looks like there is going to be a date change to the weekend after the dates posted.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
tbf i didn't mind the spag bol lolol :D

pretty hyped for this all ready
.....WOWWW

Obv not living a luxurious life lol :).....Jkin loool

Kone - I think the cost for food should be £4/£5 now to think about it if bigger portions are to be served and since people are getting fed twice for three days, so basically 6 meals which is less then £1 per meal that's undoubtably not a unreasonable amount to ask for.

And i'm not sure what could be replaced with Spag Bol, wouldn't be toooo much to put the same meal on the first and the last day down if you couldn't think of one since it ain't a restaurant so people shouldn't be TOOO picky.

And also any meal which is sauce/spices/seasoning based (stew) has extreme potential for disaster imo lol...so you could do a stew but just as long as it is isn't really reliant on seasoning and all that other stuff and really easy to make.

Kone

Smash Master
Well there will be four meals like at the first SNY. Can't possibly do two on the first or last day for setting up time needed and tidying up time. Potentially I may had more but they will be lunchtime sandwiches + crisps on the second and third day.

In terms of the replacement meal stew would be okay. Its basically stock + a variety of veg + some form of meat. Aslong as the veg is real then flavour wise it'll be fine. If I can find somewhere that sells already peeled potatoes then a meat + mash + frozen veg dish would be easy. Potentially a soup dish would also work.

Soup or Stew could also be prepared prior to sny, chilled and reheated ;)

Kone

Smash Master
Examples? lol. Its easy to say you can replace the meals but alot harder to find a substitute that works in the kitchen we have. There is very little over and hob space aswell as prep that can go into it ;). Then working the costings out etc.

One thing that will definetly be worked into the food costings for SNY2 are disposable plates and cutlery. Myself, Gary and Kate wasted waaaay to much time cleaning in the kitchen. Disposable plates will save alot of hassle.

Im also going to run an Amateur bracket at this ala Pound V style as it seems a great idea. We will have more than enough tvs for this. Ill also create a friendlies only zone during tournament play aswell as an ingenious sticker system that will prevent people from playing non-tournament matches at inappropriate times.

Utto

Commander Keen
BRoomer
I hate to be a party pooper, but Marc and I both feel that it's too early to sticky this thread. Somewhere during the beginning of next year seems like a more appropriate moment to sticky it to me.

I'll sticky the Spanish tournament instead.

Kone

Smash Master
Of course Utto as there are sooooo many large European tournament threads going on ;). If we stickied them all who knows what might happen. People would get lost and not know which one was next :o.

Kone

Smash Master
I don't need it to be massively active just to make others (more importantly hosts) aware that I have already booked the venue and thus aiming to host the large European tournament of the Summer.

We will be able to have 200+ at this event AND I am involved in sorting out sponsership for this event.

I know it'll be stickied later, that is fine. I just don't see why it can't just settle under the stickied 'European information thread' which is also rarely posted on. As I say, there is not much activity within this area of the forum anyway. Pretty much everyone uses their own boards except the UK anyway :)

jalued

Smash Lord
Im definately going to be coming to this :D should start practicing harder ;)

And Kone, i really think i could help you this time in the kitchen, portioning, ideas for meals etc etc.

oh and soup is a great idea

Looking forward to SNY 2! :)

Kone

Smash Master
Hey Ed :). Sorry I never texted you back. I planned to but had a ridiculous amount of texts, voice mails and missed calls unanswered after SNY. Literally, my phone was absolutely full memory wise and instead of wading my way though it all I just deleted my phone memory.

Anyway, thank you very much for the message. Was appreciated and I enjoyed your banter aswell. Hope you slept somewhat comfortably in the small room. I was impressed with how well balanced the tvs on the shelf were despite your merry few.

In regards to helping in the kitchen, since I now know your profession ;), any help you could give would be HUGELY appreciated. Money of food is all yours lol.

x

jalued

Smash Lord
Hey Ed :). Sorry I never texted you back. I planned to but had a ridiculous amount of texts, voice mails and missed calls unanswered after SNY. Literally, my phone was absolutely full memory wise and instead of wading my way though it all I just deleted my phone memory.

Anyway, thank you very much for the message. Was appreciated and I enjoyed your banter aswell. Hope you slept somewhat comfortably in the small room. I was impressed with how well balanced the tvs on the shelf were despite your merry few.

In regards to helping in the kitchen, since I now know your profession ;), any help you could give would be HUGELY appreciated. Money of food is all yours lol.

x
Yeah was a great night. I sobered up by watching armada and aniolas playing friendly doubles, and then took aniolas' place. Slept from about 4-6, so didnt have enough time to knock the TV's off ;) Lets just say i was so tired i appreciated any sleep i could get. Thanks again for all the banter and hospitality

Ofc i will help in the kitchen, it would be my pleasure (i'm being very selfish really, cause i enjoy it haha)

ivootjes(nr18)

Smash Lord
what about making the breakfast european style, with bread, toast or baguettes, and topping like jam, ham, chocolate paste, or cheese. Just serve it on the tables and people will be able to decide what they want to eat on their bread theirselves. And also how much they want to eat ;)

I think only the english manage to eat sausages at breakfast :lick: Not that it's that bad. It's just that my stomach, and with me lots of others, isn't used to eating beans at breakfast

Also saves the time of cooking, and is relatively cheap.

cereal would be nice too.

Edit: lol, i'm going to make a trip next year that's ****ing nuts
7th of august off to sziget festival
15th of august fly to birmingham
18th of august back to the netherlands, instantanous to lowlands festival
21st of august back to home

maybe i can plan some more stuff before going to sziget to make it to best trip ever =D

jalued

Smash Lord
what about making the breakfast european style, with bread, toast or baguettes, and topping like jam, ham, chocolate paste, or cheese. Just serve it on the tables and people will be able to decide what they want to eat on their bread theirselves. And also how much they want to eat ;)

I think only the english manage to eat sausages at breakfast :lick: Not that it's that bad. It's just that my stomach, and with me lots of others, isn't used to eating beans at breakfast

well the main problem with toast is that it is hard to cook in large quantities, takes up precious oven space and is hard to keep warm. Bread could be fine though. It really depends what is possible to buy in large bulk that is suitable for the kitchen. What else do you have for breakfast?

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
This summer I did:
June 19-22: Smash (Dreamhack)
June 27-07: Portugal
July 13-20: Smash (STIIG)
July 20-27: Finland
July 28-09: Smash (APEX)
Aug 10-13: Smash (SNY1)

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
oh btw this time I wanna help in organizing... meaning I wanna be in the actual hosting crew...
I have 14 tournaments and many smashfests of hosting experience, plus I know how to cook for many people (never did it for 100 people though) and I'm really motivated into making this better ! :)
Kone, talk to me on msn if you want my help, for real bro.

Kone

Smash Master

maybe i can plan some more stuff before going to sziget to make it to best trip ever =D
I am really glad to see you are already planning to make SNY2 Ivo. Try make it the day before so that you can come down the pub with me and the lads.

In terms of food I am wanting to implement greater choice. When you register on the website for SNY2 you will get choices for each meal and will select what you want. From that, we can work out costings and portions needed. I won't ever put food on the tables for 'people to help themselves' as food will run out this way ;)

We will have a British and Continental breakfast. It isn't had to get bread + cereal + spreads for you guys. I, however, would much prefer having sausage etc in my belly ;)

As Jalued said toast is an amsolute nightmare in the kitchen :S

well the main problem with toast is that it is hard to cook in large quantities, takes up precious oven space and is hard to keep warm. Bread could be fine though. It really depends what is possible to buy in large bulk that is suitable for the kitchen. What else do you have for breakfast?
Exactly. You're help in the kitchen is going to be amazing. Professional kitchen anyone?!

This summer I did:
June 19-22: Smash (Dreamhack)
June 27-07: Portugal
July 13-20: Smash (STIIG)
July 20-27: Finland
July 28-09: Smash (APEX)
Aug 10-13: Smash (SNY1)
Yup thats amazing. No wonder you looked shattered ;)

oh btw this time I wanna help in organizing... meaning I wanna be in the actual hosting crew...
I have 14 tournaments and many smashfests of hosting experience, plus I know how to cook for many people (never did it for 100 people though) and I'm really motivated into making this better ! :)
Kone, talk to me on msn if you want my help, for real bro.
Will discuss via msn :)

jalued

Smash Lord
Exactly. You're help in the kitchen is going to be amazing. Professional kitchen anyone?!
haha don't expect gordon ramsey :p I just enjoy it and make sure that it tastes good and all appears at the same time (in theory ;) )

btw my msn is jalued@hotmail.com if u want to chat bout meals etc :)

you can also do pretty cheap, healthy and light foods, like potato salads, onion salads etc to accomodate people that are not used to meat all the time. Plus i also know that alot of french cuisine is butter based, so i can come up with lots of nice butter, egg and brown sauces etc to make everyone happy :)

The main problem of cooking for so many people is that most meats and general base of any common meal are too expensive and require too much room. The best meals are stews like Bourguignon, cassoulets, Ratatouille and pasta meals in bulk such as lasagna (if there is enough room to reheat), cabonara and tomato sauces are all good as well. However i warn you that cream is more expensive than petrol at the moment, so we'd have to water it down a bit with milk ;)

I'd also like to cook some tai red curry for everyone, cause its tasty as hell and is pretty cheap if its vegitarian (prob cost about 40p per person)

Legend-of-Mitsuki

Smash Cadet
I'm happy to help out with cooking as well if need be.

I think the earlier mentioned bolagnaise problem was due to the large quantity and lack of time for it to simmer, as the simmering process helps to boil away the excess fluid. The deep shape of the pan would not have helped much either, due to reduced surface area, but that is just my thought...

As for alternatives, keep it simple. Fish-finger sadwiches could be good for lunch... as could bacon ones (though not for me :p).

One way of sorting the food situation could be to have a menu, on which there are two options; one of them contains meat, the other, of course, doesn't. Before the tornament, everyone would need to say what option they would be going for, so that the correct amount of ingredients can be purchaced.

I also agree with the continental style breakfast. If need be, and I can some how get it transported up to the venue, my mum has a cost cutters card, which could possibly prove helpful, if it gets renewed for next year. Buying in bulk from places like that would work out cheaper. ^_^

Kone

Smash Master
Not to be rude , just blunt, everything in the above post was already conteplated/thought about/put into action for sny1 or action planned for sny2.

e.g.

I own a makro card. Food was bought in bulk from there etc.

We can't do much about the cooking equipment in the kitchen. We made best with what we had.

You wouldn't fit the quantity of food needed in one car run. Trust me. We did several journeys. Food for 120+ is huge.

I asked prior to the tournament whether people wanted a vegetarian option. Only two people answered. This will be improved by putting the option into the registration process.

Continental option will be added. However. I still expect majority of the UK would prefer a British breakfast. Option will be added to registration.

If you meant fish figners/bacon sarnies as an option for one of the meals then no. One of the aims, of serving food, is to AVOID people leaving the venue too frequently (which gets in the way of running the tournament). Also, to cut down on litter in the venue. We need to make meals more appealing/larger.

Lunch option maybe added but they'll be sarnies/pop and crisps. As we can pre-make them.

SvL

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm new to this, well not melee, but I've been trying to find somewhere that does a tournament in the uk for ages, and this looks amazing, when can we register? me and my brother will be up there in a flash, can't wait :)

Ramzeh

Smash Ace
Hi, I'm new to this, well not melee, but I've been trying to find somewhere that does a tournament in the uk for ages, and this looks amazing, when can we register? me and my brother will be up there in a flash, can't wait :)
Willz Says:

There was a tournament in London 3 days ago, to find information on UK tourneys just check the regional section found here;
http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=223

Legend-of-Mitsuki

Smash Cadet
Not to be rude , just blunt, everything in the above post was already conteplated/thought about/put into action for sny1 or action planned for sny2.

[...]

If you meant fish figners/bacon sarnies as an option for one of the meals then no. One of the aims, of serving food, is to AVOID people leaving the venue too frequently (which gets in the way of running the tournament). Also, to cut down on litter in the venue. We need to make meals more appealing/larger.
Okay, I apologize for cluttering the thread. I was just trying to be helpful, without having read the thread in as much detail as I should have done.

One thing I don't get though is why you turned down my sarnie idea. Is it because they are not popular fillings?

Kone

Smash Master
We didn't run a lunch option at SNY1. We did morning and evening meals. A sarnie option isn't substantial enough for either imo. As I said, the major aim of the food is to be appealling enough to warrant people to wake up in the morning, to not leave the venue regularly for food and to minimise litter in the venue.

I don't think an evening meal of a sarnie is enough. However, we are contemplating lunch sandwiches (with crisps and pop) for SNY2. They will however be cold and prepared.

ps you aren't cluttering ;) any discussion is good discussion atm.

Legend-of-Mitsuki

Smash Cadet
We didn't run a lunch option at SNY1. We did morning and evening meals. A sarnie option isn't substantial enough for either imo. As I said, the major aim of the food is to be appealling enough to warrant people to wake up in the morning, to not leave the venue regularly for food and to minimise litter in the venue.

I don't think an evening meal of a sarnie is enough. However, we are contemplating lunch sandwiches (with crisps and pop) for SNY2. They will however be cold and prepared.
I meant the sarnies as a lunch option >_<

Luma

Smash Lord
you def need a larger crew for all that stuff you are doing, it doenst care how small it seems to you, its always better to have too much helping people, even if some of them arent much needed in the end
(some people complained about how you or fuz had no time for the whole room problem, with more people you would either have people to prevent that problem or to solve it)

and you HAVE TO get help with the seeding by some european TOs since everyone overrates his own country and there are just some quite unknown but really good people aswell
(the seeding was seriously bad xD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom