• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SNY 1. Birmingham, UK. August 10th-12th 2010. *Registration CLOSED* Hype! 111 People

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dax

Smash Journeyman
All right i'm discussing with the italian players (aldwyn, vincent, melt and some others are probably coming). We need some little infos =).

1st: is there hosting pre\after tournament? I'll check asap the flies so i'll know when we may need it.

2nd: how many ppl are needed for the crew tournament? Btw we will be at least 6, I think.

3rd: what 'scares' us a bit is that maybe flying to london is not that expensive but london - birmingham looks mad expensive (not more than the fly ok lol not that). Uk doesn't know what cheap trains are, mh? :urg:

Any helps bout that?

Thanks!! :)

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
3rd: what 'scares' us a bit is that maybe flying to london is not that expensive but london - birmingham looks mad expensive (not more than the fly ok lol not that). Uk doesn't know what cheap trains are, mh? :urg:

Any helps bout that?

Trains are pretty **** pricey over here, best option is to get a coach from london to birmingham for a fraction of the price.

X1-12

Smash Champion

Any helps bout that?

www.nationalexpress.com OR www.megabus.com - book early and you should be able get rael cheap coaches - the latter is probably cheaper, if you book now you should be able to get one for around £1 - £5 each way

Dax

Smash Journeyman
thanks guys. Watching our flights, rome and milan flights have similar hour, but we Will Need hosting for the 9th and (maybe) 12th evening otherwise we can't come I think.

edit : f**k ryanair -_- atm on the 9th we'll arrive on evening, better would be at 23.30 (in Stansted, and I have no idea how long it takes to go to London) otherwise at like 19, but then we would need hosting directly in london in both cases:\

Only other option is to come directly on the 10th and we'll be at 11 at london stantsted but then I don't think we'll make it for crews and we don't want to miss this!

on the 12th, of course we will need hosting in birmingham unless the tourney ends really earlier =\. In that case we would try to catch an early flight (6.40) from London on the morning of the 13th and spend the night at the airport lol

X1-12

Smash Champion
thanks guys. Right now i'm having some problems because some italians fly from Rome and some from Milan. This means that our flights will have different times but at least 3 or 4 of us Will Need hosting for the 9th and 12th evening otherwise we can't come =(
If you want housing you will probably need to say which airport you are flying to, as there's smashers spread out around london - I also understand Kone is planning to start a thread specifically about housing when he gets back (less than 2 weeks time i think)

Yeniths

East Midlands!
Thats hardly fair, you will just be carrying him.

Get yourself and the LC guys to register soon :)

A housing thread for everyone coming from afar would be a great idea to.

Dax

Smash Journeyman
If you want housing you will probably need to say which airport you are flying to, as there's smashers spread out around london - I also understand Kone is planning to start a thread specifically about housing when he gets back (less than 2 weeks time i think)
Yeah sorry things changed a bit, actually what I can say for sure is that:

it would be Fantastic if we could get housed in London on the 9th evening. The problem is that our flight arrives in London Stansted at 23.30 O_o. And I don't know how long it takes to get to London and if we can go somewhere at that hour of the night lol. =(

The other problem is that our flight on the 13th leaves at from London 6.40 but I don't care anymore about this, if we manage to solve that problem ^ we'll just pay a lil more for coming back and get another lol

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
out of interest, how much money did the venue cost (for the 3 days) as it looks amazing ;p

grayfox

Smash Champion
Just seen this thread!!!! Probably come along if other Scots go so I've got travel buddies, whats the deadline with paying and beds available?

grayfox

Smash Champion
Ah what theres FLOOR SPACE AVAILABLE! No rush for me then someone else can have a bed, I'll reg once I hear from the Scots, sure a few will be up for it.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
yo Ed try get on msn tomorrow so we can change the paypal buttons to your paypal ones and I can give you the money + details so far
you just gotta be prepared for updating the player list though

Kone

Smash Master
How much we looking at atm charles? i have the venue owner wanting a sizeable amount as soon as possible as I had basically told her we would be paying mony to then in smal amounts regularly rather than paying it of in one huge sum. THing is though...that hasn't been happening so i need to get something to her that is appeaseable now :)

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
lol right now we only got like 5 people booked cause its only been a day, if you need the money now ed I'll just give you it from my own pocket cause I have enough so no worries ^_^"

guys registration is up and you can book! the earlier you book the more chance you have of having a bed

Kone

Smash Master
All right i'm discussing with the italian players (aldwyn, vincent, melt and some others are probably coming). We need some little infos =).

1st: is there hosting pre\after tournament? I'll check asap the flies so i'll know when we may need it.

2nd: how many ppl are needed for the crew tournament? Btw we will be at least 6, I think.

Any helps bout that?

Dax: firstly awesome to see yourself and other italians interested. In terms of housing I can house anyone in Birmingham Monday night and Thursday night (sunday at a push before the tournament but would prefer not, please ask nicely lol. Other than that, I will attempt to find you housing in and around london if needed and am going to start a housing thread very soon. Either way, I dont think if you booked now you would be left without some form of housing for when you need it.

Trains are terrible in the uk, there is literally no point looking at them. You are looking at getting coaches with; www.nationalexpress.com www.megabus.com www.easybus.co.uk (this one is specifically for cheap coaches from london airports into london itself. Best option is to do that then get a coach with megabus or national express from london city centre to birmingham).

If you need specific help on how to get to the tournament email me at ceddon@hotmail.com. I cant get on smashboards at school (am a teacher) because gaming sites are blocked. Hence, lack of updates at the moment AND where Im staying at the moment as no net access. I can reply via email though.

Can someone please explain why
10 august, Gatwick Airport (11:50) - Birmingham (14:27) (http://www.thetrainline.com)
is so incredibly cheap compared to pretty much any other time?

Absolutely no idea. UK trains are weird. But, if its cheap I would book it. Trains are much quicker than the coach option. Coaches are very cheap in the uk for the distance they travel but do add on a lot more time to travel. Hence, why im offering plenty of housing.

www.nationalexpress.com
www.megabus.com
www.easybus.co.uk

thanks guys. Watching our flights, rome and milan flights have similar hour, but we Will Need hosting for the 9th and (maybe) 12th evening otherwise we can't come I think.

edit : f**k ryanair -_- atm on the 9th we'll arrive on evening, better would be at 23.30 (in Stansted, and I have no idea how long it takes to go to London) otherwise at like 19, but then we would need hosting directly in london in both cases:\

Only other option is to come directly on the 10th and we'll be at 11 at london stantsted but then I don't think we'll make it for crews and we don't want to miss this!

on the 12th, of course we will need hosting in birmingham unless the tourney ends really earlier =\. In that case we would try to catch an early flight (6.40) from London on the morning of the 13th and spend the night at the airport lol
Check the coach times from london to birmingham, you maybe surprised that they run all night and day. Also, as ive mentioned, I can house monday to friday if needed though i want everyone out my house by late friday night. Im going to start a housing threaf very soon to ensure everyone gets housed. Im confident we can meet everyones needs though. Please remember we still got plenty of time :) to arrange these things.

Kone

Smash Master
Yeah sorry things changed a bit, actually what I can say for sure is that:

it would be Fantastic if we could get housed in London on the 9th evening. The problem is that our flight arrives in London Stansted at 23.30 O_o. And I don't know how long it takes to get to London and if we can go somewhere at that hour of the night lol. =(

The other problem is that our flight on the 13th leaves at from London 6.40 but I don't care anymore about this, if we manage to solve that problem ^ we'll just pay a lil more for coming back and get another lol
Alex - how would hey get to yours if you could house them? then could you take them to the venue on tuesday or something?

Kone

Smash Master
out of interest, how much money did the venue cost (for the 3 days) as it looks amazing ;p
There is no set amount will. Basically, ive got to fill all 80 beds regardless to have the venue. Two weeks before the venue is to be used I have to give the venue owner a total number of people coming. This will then be used to generate the total due for the venue. I then have to pay that ithin five working days. Hence, why everyone who wants to come has to pay by two weeks before or else they cant come.

Kone

Smash Master
Sorry for triple posting. www.nationalexpress.com currently has REALLY REALY CHEAP COACH TICKETS. THESE ARE CALLED FUNFARES. THEY ARE LIMITED AND ARE AS CHEAP AS £3 ONE WAY (£6 RETURN). FOR THOSE COMING FROM LONDON/FLYING INTO LONDON BOOK THESE NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW FOR CHEAP TRAVEL TO THE TOURNAMENT!!!!

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Alex - how would hey get to yours if you could house them? then could you take them to the venue on tuesday or something?
I think Stansted have their own rail service which goes to Tottenham Hale. From there the route would be: Tottenham Hale (Victoria Line) --> Vauxhall (South-West Trains) --> Surbiton. It would take about 2 hours to get there at half 11 since there's no Waterloo & City line running at that time.

Standsted's pretty much the opposite side of London from me. :|

Dax

Smash Journeyman
Kone, thanks a lot. You don't know how much we appreciate what ur doing =)
If you think that even though we reach London Stansted at 23.30 we can still get somewhere, we'll book immediately. I think we'll be like 8 though, hope that's not a problem for housing, but we're smaaall :embarrass :laugh:. We only need that. Also, I read on the main page that on the 12th housing is at the venue, so no problem at all.

Also, i started checking the coaches you mentioned. Sadly, for national express the last run was at 00:30 and we can't make it. So we really need hosting in London if possible on the 9th =(

Oh and, We'll def use Easybus for going to London from the airport, luckily that goes ever hour, but uhm, I don't know, can't we do the ticket when we are there (since for example maybe the plane has some delays or stuff) ? I mean, if we make the ticket when we are near the bus itself, will the price go higher than what's on the website?

LAST thing (I swear XD): on megabus it says like: 8 seats = £8.00 does that mean that that's the Total? :O

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
Can someone please explain why
10 august, Gatwick Airport (11:50) - Birmingham (14:27) (http://www.thetrainline.com)
is so incredibly cheap compared to pretty much any other time?

Absolutely no idea. UK trains are weird. But, if its cheap I would book it. Trains are much quicker than the coach option. Coaches are very cheap in the uk for the distance they travel but do add on a lot more time to travel. Hence, why im offering plenty of housing.
Why I'm asking is because it includes a train trip with Gatwick Express, plus one from London to Birmingham, both of which are more expensive than this package which also includes a subway trip between these two trains...

Oh, and it's even cheaper than taking a 1£ bus, because it's so expensive to get from the airport to where the bus leaves. Going to take the train on my way back too...

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
wohooo, hyped...

Jolteon: sounds awesome, we just have to figure out how to get there ^^ really apreciate the offer since we didnt get any answers so far :D

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
I might be able to help a few before, like 2/3 more people but I promised armada + aniolas housing after SNY so thats taken ^_^"

guys book! the earlier you book the more chance of there still being beds :p

there are..like 70 beds left, once those are gone you have to sleep on the floorspace :p

Tero.

Smash Champion
Most important for us is housing on monday evening, because we'll arrive to late to take a bus to Birmingham.
I think we'll even be arriving at about the same time as the Dax and the other italians (on the same airport).

Kone

Smash Master
ajp you said:
Oh, and it's even cheaper than taking a 1£ bus, because it's so expensive to get from the airport to where the bus leaves. Going to take the train on my way back too...

I dont understand how it is more expensive. Im worrying incase i am missing something for other people now. Could you elaborate please?

Bristols_link64

Smash Cadet
Wow would definatly be worth going to this just for the experience alone :o. I'll try and book the wednesday off work seeing as thats the only day that will be getting in the way for me.

Will if I do end up making this I'll be driving. So if anyone from Bristol wants a lift up let me know... actually saying that only person around here would be L-j. Will have a talk with him when I can xD

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
ajp you said:

I dont understand how it is more expensive. Im worrying incase i am missing something for other people now. Could you elaborate please?
The bus from London to Birmingham costs between 1-3£. But to get from the airport to where this bus leaves costs a lot more.
There are a few 2£ buses with Easybus if you're lucky, but none of those work for me.

I need to get from Gatwick to Victoria Station in 2 hours. Bus is too slow, train costs 9£. Total 12£ with the bus to Birmingham.
Taking a train from Gatwick to Birmingham is 9.50£.

imoneofthem

Smash Apprentice
Alternatively european smashers could travel to East Midlands Airport which is closer to birmingham

Kone if you need help with staffing the event I'd be more than willing to sign up and assist you + fuzzy

imoneofthem

Smash Apprentice
Just a suggestion - LAST MINUTE travelling by air
option 1
Countries that East Midlands Airport cover

Shuttle service which transports you to East Midlands Parkway station - 2 journeys @ £4.50 = £9
Flying off on holiday? Fast track to the airport from East Midlands Parkway with our great-value taxi transfer service, operated by Arrow Cars, for only £4.50 per person each way. To book your taxi, simply fill out a booking form and select the shuttle bus option (in place of East Midlands Parkway station). You can then print off your booking confirmation and present it at the taxi office at the station/airport. You will need to book a minimum of 12 hours before travel.
Go onto nationalrail.co.uk and search 'East Midlands Parkway' to 'Birmingham' - A return ticket is £15.90

£9 + £16 = £25

option 2
Go onto nationalexpress.com and search 'East Midlands Airport' to 'Birmingham' - £15 or £22 (depends on the time you travel)

--Both coach and train will require you to change once
--These are standard prices which will remain the same even when last minute!

East Midlands Airport/Parkway is closer to Birmingham
------------
hope this helps :)

Kone

Smash Master
ajp - £9.50 from gatwick to birmingham by train seems very very reasonable btw. I know that when ive flown into sweden and had to pay for a coach from airport to city centre ive paid similar amounts for a smaller journey distance wise. book it now before it goes up.

Thanks Gary, id also appreciate your help a lot at the event.

REMEMBER THAT SOME PLACES FLY INTO EAST MIDLANDS AIRPORT AND BIRMINGHAM AIRPORT. YOU COULD ALSO FLY INTO DUBLIN THEN INTO EITHER OF THE ABOVE AIRPORTS. MAYBE CHEAPER THAN AND QUICKER THAN GOING INTO TO LONDON.

Coaches to check from london to birmingham;

www.easybus.co.uk
www.nationalexpress.com
www.megabus.com

Italians - Ive been thinking. By the time you get to anyones house in london your probably looking at around 2 hours imo. Then im going to have difficulty as I have to find somewhere that can house 8 of you. More likely that ill have to split you guys up between others.

What i think maybe best is you guys flying into stansted. By the time you get through the airport your looking at around 12pm. Book a bus with www.easybus.co.uk into london city centre. It'll probably take upto 2 hours to do this as london stansted isnt in london at all (like alot of airports ryanair flies into i.e. think the cheap stockholm/gothenburg airports). So your looking at 2.30 am ish. Book the earliest national express (www.nationalexpress.com) or megabus (www.megabus.com) bus from london to birmingham (be 6am). Get to birmingham then to mine or the venue. Venue opens at 9am. You could either get to mine and crash for ages and then make your wy to the venue for the evening (i aint running anything till evening tuesday) or get yourself to the venue for 9am, book a bed and just go to sleep for 6/7 hours as i wont start international crews till like 6pm.

Furthermore, try looking at trains on www.thetrainline.com incase you get lucky or try the coach websites ive given you from london stansted to birmingham.

imoneofthem

Smash Apprentice
REMEMBER THAT SOME PLACES FLY INTO EAST MIDLANDS AIRPORT AND BIRMINGHAM AIRPORT. YOU COULD ALSO FLY INTO DUBLIN THEN INTO EITHER OF THE ABOVE AIRPORTS. MAYBE CHEAPER THAN AND QUICKER THAN GOING INTO TO LONDON.
--The city where the tournament is being hosted has its own airport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom