• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SNY 1. Birmingham, UK. August 10th-12th 2010. *Registration CLOSED* Hype! 111 People

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tero.

Smash Champion
IIRC Kone said he doesn't like the idea of countries teaming up and he'd rather let us play with less people (and the same number of stocks I hope).

pheX

Smash Apprentice
Course he is. SDB making guest appearances ala KOOP, GLADAM, COEY, SOS SCOTT AND JAM5.

phex...im being lazee and can't be bothered to look at my pms. When do you germans arrive and when did you need housing till again lol? dont worry its okay.

oh i just saw that.
did you read my pn?
We'll need housing till sunday! Since we're staying @ your place on thursday its just friday + saturday and we'll be leaving sunday in the morning.

Kone

Smash Master
Daaamn josh, that really sucks :/

Who's yujie teaming with now?

Also ed, said in the other thread a while ago but got no response, I can house them in my london house, I won't be there though. If you could give me their emails, that would be great :)
Was at work. Thanks so much tam :)

if Germany team with Finland could 8 teams if the UK field 2 teams, thatd be epic
Ill let finland and germany team and there will be two UK teams (A & B). I think four people i to small for crews. If both countries had five people it'd be different.

Holland v UK B
France v Germany/Finland

UK A v Italy
Sweden v Denmark

That is the single elim bracket.
IIRC Kone said he doesn't like the idea of countries teaming up and he'd rather let us play with less people (and the same number of stocks I hope).
oh i just saw that.
did you read my pn?
We'll need housing till sunday! Since we're staying @ your place on thursday its just friday + saturday and we'll be leaving sunday in the morning.
Tamoo is housing you for them nights. He posted above. Could you guys send him your emails and discuss housing with him that way or/and via pm. I replied to your message aswell.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Thanks Kone and Tamoo.
We'll be at at smashfest this WE but I'll try to get on msn sometime, my MSN adress is Tero@live.de

Ryuker

Smash Lord
So if I got this right the dutch cars should be arriving on monday morning/noon (Exa's car will leave on a seperate time I believe). Where should we go? The venue or your place Kone ^^. If it's your place then thanks in advance for housing!

Kone

Smash Master
Ryuker - what time is your ferry at? when does it arrive in the UK? I need that information to tell you where to go :)

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Probably this but shino is still discussing with ace. Dunno UK arrival times yet (but I asked for it)

Norfolkline
Price 94.00EUR, booked on 05/08/10
Depart: DUNKERQUE to DOVER 10/08/10 02:01
Return: DOVER to DUNKERQUE 13/08/10 02:00

MrOtter

Smash Journeyman
Go to dragon's lair, swedish smashers meet and play there regularly
Yes! Excellent news. Is there a strong scene there?

http://smashfonticulus.ecommunity.se/ register here and go to "sammankomster" and then "dragions lair" and just ask when people are gonna be there.. every1 understands/speaks english. we are playing there like 2-4 times in a week. where in stockholm are u moving?
Cheers for the tips man. I'll make sure to do so. I'm moving into Lappkarrsberget/Lappis. Hopefully there might even be a few smashers in my halls, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I'm really really looking forward to it, but I've only just started learning Swedish. I hope I can learn a bit quicker/magically become fluent when I'm actually there.

Yeniths

East Midlands!
Play more? Pay more?

I don't think you can stay on the night of the 12th if thats what you mean. Not at the venue anyway.

Kone

Smash Master
do we have to play more to stay on the night of the 12th?
Nope. We have to clear out the venue by 7pm thursday. They then clean the place friday for the next party saturday. You are welcome to come back to mine and stay the night there though.

Play more? Pay more?

I don't think you can stay on the night of the 12th if thats what you mean. Not at the venue anyway.
Yup.

Utto

Commander Keen
BRoomer
@Kone: Just booked the ferry. Exalador, Marc, Ivo and myself will be ariving at your house on the 9th around 21:30. Can you send me your address and phone number?

@Jolteon: UchihaJP will be the fifth personen to come along with us to London. Our ferry back leaves on sunday at 22:00, so we'll be leaving your place at around 19:00 that day. If there's something else we need to discuss we can sort it out at the tournament.

Kone

Smash Master
BAD NEWS & GOOD NEWS

BAD NEWS

I have mentioned a few times that there were some financial issues with the venue. This has been resolved today although it does not end positively. Basically, when I went to pay the venue the amount people had paid after the end of the first registration period the venue manager said I was short :urg:.

The amount I or we were short by was due to VAT. Personally, I had thought the price I had given to everyone included VAT and I argued this with the manager. In my opinion I hadn't received any information that it didn't. Anyway, the manager is cool/nice and she said to give her a week to talk to her manager and see if she could remove it.

Today she got back to me. As the venue is owned by Birmingham Council which is a business and government owned the money has to be paid. I am pretty annoyed at this but the owner has said that we are lucky, lol, to be using the venue as its normally for schools and universities only.

What does this mean? well, we have to pay the VAT to use the venue. However, it can be paid when we are there.

Therefore, I apologise to everyone, but I am going to have to ask everyone to bring an extra £3 to contribute to the costs. I apologise about this but it will be taken at registration.

I understand that this is painful for some people and that not everyone will have budgeted for this. But, I do remind people that I am putting food on for £1 which saves you £££ that you would have spent on expensive crap down the shops. Also, its only £3 :s. Just ask family or friends to lend an extra £3 it isn't a large amount that they should say no :(

GOOD NEWS

The venue is awesome and SNY is soon ;)

ps i ask everyone not to post if they feel negatively to this post. Just give it a little time to sink in and mull over. Please remember how much crap me and charles are doing for this and we would appreciate fairness :)

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
@Kone: Just booked the ferry. Exalador, Marc, Ivo and myself will be ariving at your house on the 9th around 21:30. Can you send me your address and phone number?

@Jolteon: UchihaJP will be the fifth personen to come along with us to London. Our ferry back leaves on sunday at 22:00, so we'll be leaving your place at around 19:00 that day. If there's something else we need to discuss we can sort it out at the tournament.
Ok, where is your ferry leaving from?

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Also have a few questions. I'll apogolize in advance as I have not kept up with the thread at all.

1. Jolteon and Kone, do I need to bring an air bed/sleeping bag to your place, or do you have sleeping places covered?
2. Will there be alternates during crews? AKA, can you change lineup inbetween crew battles? Would be more fun for some of our lesser players.

Kone

Smash Master
anyone *****ing about 3 pounds are just going to make a fool out of himself
**** happens,I'll pay of course.

*JD here*
From Dover, and we need to be there one hour before it leaves to check in.

@Kone: £3 isn't that bad, it's no problem to pay a little more for a tournament this size. Got your PM btw.
Thanks guys :) was nervous about announcing it. I know there maybe some slip ups this year as its the first time doing something this large but im trying my best.

Also have a few questions. I'll apogolize in advance as I have not kept up with the thread at all.

1. Jolteon and Kone, do I need to bring an air bed/sleeping bag to your place, or do you have sleeping places covered?
2. Will there be alternates during crews? AKA, can you change lineup inbetween crew battles? Would be more fun for some of our lesser players.
No problems Marc. Housing at mine is going to be packed on Monday (and not sure you guys are staying thursday or going straight to jolteons, you'll have to work that out with him).

Therefore, I am afraid that sleeping space is going to be on the floor. I only have two double mattresses which'll be taken and one couch. I would say to bring a blow up bed if you want decent sleep.

If you don't want to have to bring a sleeping bag I got some spare if you want one marc?

Crews - squad of ten, 7 to be chosen from the 10 for each match.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
These are our final ferry times:
Dunkirk (France) - Dover, Tuesday 10 august 2010 2:01 (arrive in Dover around 3:01 (cause of the time difference)
Dover - Dunkirk (France), Friday 13 august 2010 4:00

I heard it's about 2 hours by ferry. And 3,5 to birmingham. Could PM me your cell phone num? ^^.

Kone

Smash Master
Ryuker: http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/ is a good site to work out distances and how much petrol it will cost approximately. My address is 33 Grange Road, Stourbridge, DY9 7LE. It is a town south west of Birmingham itself and about 20 minutes from the venue itself (venue between stourbridge and Brum). You will need to come to my house on tuesday and crash there for a while as the venue doesn't open till 9am.

In terms of finding my house do you guys have a sat nav? regardless, if you get lost you just follow signs into stourbridge town centre. When you see 'stourbridge junction' train station signposted follow that. Just pull in their and ring me and ill get you :)

Otherwise, with the sat nav, you'll be taken onto my road and just park wherethe shops are.

Ferry is 1.5 hours i believe (actually travelling) and you'll do the journey to mine in three hours with no stops.

Kone

Smash Master
I need people to bring as many of the following as possible. Please appreciate I am doing my very best to put on the best tournament possible for 110 people. Understandbly I need your help aswell.

1. Gamecubes + Wiis. If you have more than on bring them. If each person in the UK brings their own cube/wii we will have enough setups per tv. If not WE DON'T.

2. Copies of melee. Please bring every copy of melee you have and/or your family and friends. More copies we have more than likely we will have enough setups running.

3. Powerpoints. Please bring any size powerpoints you have. 2 plug, 4 plug, 6 plug and 8 plug each. Doesn't matter how long or small they will come in useful. Most people use them in their rooms. If you are taken your setup to SNY you won't need them while your away. SO PLEASE BRING THEM.

4. TVS. Between me and Charles we have around 30 tvs at the moment. Please please please understand that it is paramount that the rest of the community help with this. It really isn't hard to put 2 small tvs in your car if you are getting a lift. Small tvs are fine. PLEASE BRING THEM.

5. Recording setups including handheld cameras/camcorders to get live footage of the tournament.

6. Microphones and amps. More the merrier.

7. Universal remotes. This is a huge must. Huge chances are most tvs don't have a remote. We need universal remotes to sort them out. More we have increases the chance of getting every tv working aswell as how quickly we get them working.

8. Does anyone have a projector screen that they can bring. Think friends/family and work. I have a projector but no screen. Also, any cables we may need for the projector (between setups/laptops etc).

9. Toilet Roll and Bin bags. I am seriously not joking here lol. Venue doesn't supply them. I encourage you to bring your own roll and bin bags you have lying around (give them to me please).

10. Scart Blocks

11. RF cables or ANY CABLE THAT GOES FROM THE BACK OF A CUBE/WII INTO AN AERIAL PORT.

ALSO THINK ABOUT BRINGING/DOING THE FOLLOWING

1. Deoderant
2. Shampoo
3. Towel
4. Toothpaste/Toothbrush
5. Sleeping bag/blanket
6. Pillow
7. Sticky labels on all your stuff
8. Getting my mobile number
9. Walking directions from google maps if you are getting into Longbridge station and I can't get you.
10. Printed bus details and walking directions if you are getting into Birmingham city centre and I can't get you.
11. Alcohol to chill and enjoy evening chatter. Not everyone will be geeking out in the gym hall with smash all night ;)
12. Toilet roll

Kone

Smash Master
Getting to the venue information

If you are arriving in Birmingham city centre;

You need to go to Birmingham New Street train station and get a train to Longbridge. Trains leave every ten minutes, take twenty minutes and cost £2.80.

If you arrive at Digbeth coach station you need to walk to Birmingham New Street train station.http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...=6.879233,26.279297&ie=UTF8&z=16&layer=c&pw=2

If you arrive at Priory Queensway coch station you need to walk to Birmingham New Street train station. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...95657&spn=0.006927,0.025663&z=15&layer=c&pw=2

When you get to Longbridge train station​

1. Ring my mobile. If I am available I will come collect you. Drive is only 5 minutes. Please remember that I will be very busy tuesday.

2. Phone for a taxi (do this in advance of arriving at Londbridge. The train from Birmingham city centre is 20 mins so ring before getting train). Try; 0121 476 5252 , 0121 476 5252 and 0121 475 1234 . Remember to get a quote before booking. The venue is only five minutes away so it should be less than £5.

3. Walk. Directions are: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...n=0.006939,0.025663&ie=UTF8&z=13&layer=c&pw=2 Takes 30 mins.

When walking you will eventually come to a small roundabout with a pub on it. Turn right and the venue is there. Look at the website to see how the venue looks from the outside.

Kone

Smash Master
I have spent so much of my time tracking down and picking up TVs. Im going to be MAD PISSED OFF if people don't bring setups. I NEED all BRITISH to bring theirs. Don't be a **** and not put yours in your bag.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Ryuker: http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/ is a good site to work out distances and how much petrol it will cost approximately. My address is 33 Grange Road, Stourbridge, DY9 7LE. It is a town south west of Birmingham itself and about 20 minutes from the venue itself (venue between stourbridge and Brum). You will need to come to my house on tuesday and crash there for a while as the venue doesn't open till 9am.

In terms of finding my house do you guys have a sat nav? regardless, if you get lost you just follow signs into stourbridge town centre. When you see 'stourbridge junction' train station signposted follow that. Just pull in their and ring me and ill get you :)

Otherwise, with the sat nav, you'll be taken onto my road and just park wherethe shops are.

Ferry is 1.5 hours i believe (actually travelling) and you'll do the journey to mine in three hours with no stops.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. We'll definetly have at least one stop I think. I've been look all over the place for your cell but I can't find it. Could you pm it to me? We'll find our way there :p

Kone

Smash Master
where do i go to get train tickets from london to birmingham? is it easier to do it there or internet?
Urgh, trains are notoriously expensive in the UK which is why you really should have booked them by now. If you can I would book them asap. Use www.megabus.com and if you book the Virgin trains from London Euston to Birmingham New Street you should be able to get it for £14 return. There are other options to Birmingham International but that is the airport so DONT go there. Also, there are cheaper options on the website but they are coaches and take twice aslong.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. We'll definetly have at least one stop I think. I've been look all over the place for your cell but I can't find it. Could you pm it to me? We'll find our way there :p
Getting to mine from Dover is pretty straight forward (it may not read like it is) but there isn't really anyway you can go wrong until Stourbridge as its quite straight foward motorways.

From Dover follow signs to M20 (signposted London)
Join M26 at Junction 3 and follow this onto the M25.
Leave M25 when M40 to Oxford/Birmingham is signposted.
Continue onto M42.
Leave M42 when M5 South West is signposted.
Then leave next junction signposted Stourbridge.
Follow signs to town centre.
When you see Stourbridge Junction train station signposted follow and pull up in car park.
Ill get you ;)

Don't go to the venue at that time as it doesn't open till 9am and no one will be there. Go to mine. Then you can follow me up to the venue.

07982248134 my mob for everyone.

ps I didn't stop from Newcastle to Ermelo for ZEST 4 ;) (except on the ferry).

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
From what I heard JD is losing pretty badly to one of our UK players called J3ly who mains Mario and he can barely beat and he ain't even one of the top 5 in the UK soooo whoelse is in the France crew cos otherwise you're gonna get *****.

I think they got
Makenshi
Porc
Ashura.....not really sure whoelse.....gonna be **** if we play them though lol :)

Slhoka

Smash Lord
1. Gamecubes + Wiis. If you have more than on bring them. If each person in the UK brings their own cube/wii we will have enough setups per tv. If not WE DON'T.
Up to 3 depending on how much space I have in my bag.

2. Copies of melee. Please bring every copy of melee you have and/or your family and friends. More copies we have more than likely we will have enough setups running.

3. Powerpoints. Please bring any size powerpoints you have. 2 plug, 4 plug, 6 plug and 8 plug each. Doesn't matter how long or small they will come in useful. Most people use them in their rooms. If you are taken your setup to SNY you won't need them while your away. SO PLEASE BRING THEM.
1 eight plug with an adapter (I'll use it for the GCs compatible with the french plugs).

7. Universal remotes. This is a huge must. Huge chances are most tvs don't have a remote. We need universal remotes to sort them out. More we have increases the chance of getting every tv working aswell as how quickly we get them working.

I'll confirm this ASAP.
bGin also has a Melee disc, and some other Frenchies should bring something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom