• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMYM 7 (Champaign, IL March 24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mars-

Smash Champion
If you don't ban wobbling then everyone is going to start picking up ice climbers for tournys. Can you imagine the only char you can win a tourny with would be Ice climbers.

Mune

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
Mune#719
the scrubs are the people saying "dont get grabbed" and you can avoid it, cause its nearly impossible to not get grabbed.

people are afraid of the wobbles because its just NOW being used alot, but for us space animal players, we've had to deal with the infinite for quite some while now, so i dont think its going to make a big difference(for us atleast :p).

i do love how people are just now seeing the "wobbles" and saying that he made the techinque, when it was found out a LONG time ago, and just agreed upon most Icies to just not use it.
I remember wobbles almost two years ago. Why's it just now becoming a problem?

Mars-

Smash Champion
Because people only recently learned how to use it, and then it spread across the boards quickly.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
There has already been plenty of discussion on the issue, and no one in the midwest uses the technique anyway. No ban.

I will give out imaginary warnings to anyone else who posts about wobbling.

BIG C

Smash Master
Do what now?

heh i wish i was the first person to really learn and amster wobbles i planned to be but then i was like naw thats way too gay to use in tourny

Overswarm

is laughing at you
heh i wish i was the first person to really learn and amster wobbles i planned to be but then i was like naw thats way too gay to use in tourny
Translation:

Was unable to effectively implement it into my gameplay at a professional level.

HEYOOOOOOO!

Just kidding. ;)

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
yeah id say for THIS particular tournament wobbling should be banned. I actually learn how to do this garbage in 1 match against a lvl 9 computer, GG
LOL
There has already been plenty of discussion on the issue, and no one in the midwest uses the technique anyway. No ban.

I will give out imaginary warnings to anyone else who posts about wobbling.
y not ban it then? better safe than sorry.

Tink

Smash Hero
well, if anybody is going to be comming through by me, and wants to chill over here and go down there in a big group, just lmk. my parents are going outta town this weekend, so we can chill for awhile.

Husband

Smash Lord
Wow, So much was said. I dont really know what to reply to.

Tink is cool

Dope should go to TJs where Husband should not

I love watty

Andy- More ppl are coming then just Midwest. I offered Chu a ride two nights ago and he said he was thinking about it. Just giving a heads up

Dopey

Smash Lord
yea, just to show you how broken wobbling is, joel wobbled me for 2 stock last night in a fox vs IC match, and joel won. ive spent more time beating off than joels spent playing ICs, this just goes to show that wobbling is pretty much the easiest wakest tactic that anyone can use, and there is nothing special about it if anyone can do it. so **** wobbling, its garbage, and ppl will be using it at the tourny. and AOB, what do you mean no one uses it anyway? i assure you we will see about 400% more IC players doing this wakness, and if we dont, then im dumb, if we do, i toldja so =p

mathos

Smash Champion
I'd like to see how beating off is less "wak".

I don't think AOB will ban wobbling anytime soon. Dope just man up and learn to play.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Ban FD and stay on the platforms. It works. I'd rather ban Peach's downsmash.

Ultimately, you can't ban anything until it's been used in broken ways. People used to cry out for a ban on Sheik's chainthrow, and now it's not seen as anything remotely threatening. If it had turned out to be broken, it would have been banned.

If wobbles breaks a tournament, it'll get banned. For now, we'll have to wait and see.

BIG C

Smash Master
it already did at evo south where wobbles won by guess what wobbling

he beat caveman and doc is supposed to be a difficult match for ICs and caveman being the best doc and wobbles only getting good and winning bcuz of the tactic makes it ultimately super gay and not every1 likes to play like u jeff and u cant just change ur whole playstyle for one match

AS Money

Smash Lord
BIG C your one to talk

your climbers beat my marth by wobbling but not my falco WTF my falco blows

yes all in friendlys THE LARGE 1 HAS NO HONOR

Husband

Smash Lord
yea, just to show you how broken wobbling is, joel wobbled me for 2 stock last night in a fox vs IC match, and joel won. ive spent more time beating off than joels spent playing ICs, this just goes to show that wobbling is pretty much the easiest wakest tactic that anyone can use, and there is nothing special about it if anyone can do it. so **** wobbling, its garbage, and ppl will be using it at the tourny. and AOB, what do you mean no one uses it anyway? i assure you we will see about 400% more IC players doing this wakness, and if we dont, then im dumb, if we do, i toldja so =p
Im not going to lie. I spend more time then Jaking off then Woobles and Chu spend playing IC put together

KishSquared

Smash Master
not every1 likes to play like u jeff and u cant just change ur whole playstyle for one match
Then you lose. You do what it takes to win, period. This is true in every competitive competition - the winner is the one who is able to adapt to the situation and overcome his opponent.

The good players are able to adapt. That's just a fact. Refusal to play a certain way or to be willing to change your playstyle will make it so you lose. We don't need to change the rules of the tournament so people can feel safe in their bubble of a playstyle.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Then you lose. You do what it takes to win, period. This is true in every competitive competition - the winner is the one who is able to adapt to the situation and overcome his opponent.

The good players are able to adapt. That's just a fact. Refusal to play a certain way or to be willing to change your playstyle will make it so you lose. We don't need to change the rules of the tournament so people can feel safe in their bubble of a playstyle.
This man, this man, everyone pay attention, this man is a genius.

If you want to beat the infinite, there are tons of ways to do it with every character. Just figure it out. Or ask somebody. I bet Wobbles could tell you exactly when he can and can't do wobbling, and what can stop it. I bet just about everyone in this thread could, really.

and Big C....... I don't believe you. I will money match your climbers if you would like.

No one, and I mean no one, that can win a tournament and leave with a three or four digit check is going to say "ya know, I sure do love money, but I would rather not use this move". No one.

BIG C

Smash Master
I would I'm sorry to tell you and Jeff you know I will not play peach the way Iggy does sure maybe I would win if I did, but the fact is I find it really stupid and not fun to play that way. So I don't play that way because it's not fun I view a game has having fun. Basically what Overswarm is saying about doing anything to win is that if an NBA player was in the championship he would stab a guy just so he could win but, he wouldn't would he. Wobbles is just as bad as the freeze glitch except you can't run out time with it. Also I know plenty of good players who take at least a match to adapt and realize what they were doing wrong and anyone who has played a best of 3 match knows that the first match is very crutcial in winning the set. The wobbles quite possibly takes that first match away from you unless you can adapt halfway through the match and come back from a 2 stock defecit. According to everyone to get around it don't get grabbed I would like to see everyone in the tournament not get grabbed in at least one match against a player of their caliber and then I'll believe it's possible. And Jeff you know that Tink the person with the most points would not play like you do against him so I don't see how the best is defined as what you said Tink just keeps on doing the same stuff over again basically until it works. Sometimes it doesn't work and he gets beat like against Drephen perhaps. I come back to my main point the only real difference between the freeze glitch and infinite is you have rhythmically tap the A button woo man that's alot harder. But hey if you can play this game without getting grabbed go for it but, if you are like the rest of the community I think you would agree with the absurdness of the move. I mean to the ship and overswarm it's a legitimate technique but, the kishes and overswarm are also frowned upon for their levels they counter on and their playstyle for some reason I think this has something to do with their decision compared to most other people's. Watch Chu come and **** the tourny with wobbles beating everyone that tries to go stupid characters on him then you will see how ******** it is. I'm sure if you got grabbed four times in a match and were killed for it on each grab you would care. I mean if four grabs is all it takes what's the point I doubt that there will be anyone who does not get grabbed four times in a match unless it's jeff vs trail then maybe.

oh overswarm I would not MM you with my ICs because they suck I play them for fun sometimes.

Mrobinson587

Smash Apprentice
just watched all the cataclysm 3 vids(so far) and I only saw chu able to wobbles like 3 times over 4 matches. KDJ went marth against him and beat him on the IC stages not even counterpicks...

Learn a half ***** marth that can fight IC's

Anybody willing to go a little out of there way to Bloomington IN to pick up 3 very grateful smashers?:( We can give you money...:confused:

Joshu

BRoomer
BRoomer
Big C, because of the way you typed that mess of words, I'm now going to spend the rest of the week learning how to Wobbles just so I can use it against you and no one else.
Press the enter key, man!

KishSquared

Smash Master
Big C, so much of what you said is subjective. Just because you don't have fun "playing like me" doesn't mean I don't. I love my playstyle, and like it or not it's becoming more popular. Does that mean people owe me an apology for "looking down on my playstyle"?

But I don't care. Your argument is that you want to have fun playing, and my response is that I do.

To me, traditional chain-grabbing with IC is MUCH cheaper to me than (Oh my goodness!!) jumping on top of a platform. I played an incredibly difficult game against Trail at FRI2. While I had to maintain a very difficult position, all he had to do was grab me once to kill me. It was a terribly close fight - I slowly whittled him down and he grabbed me twice for instant kills. Now, from my perspective, whose playstyle should be looked down upon? Obviously Trail's, but when I beat him I got a TON of comments on how "cheap" my strategy was. I was completely caught off guard by that!

I'm proud of that match against Trail. Your opinions don't matter to me. Big C, I used to think that people looked down on how we (the ship) play. The truth is that it's only a select few, mostly your Chicago crowd. You're not the ultimate deciding factor on what's fair and what's not. Big names would laugh at you for "looking down on my playstyle". Guess what? THEY'D SLAUGHTER ME. That's because they're good and they don't care about how I play.

And on the flipside of that, I get a lot of comments about how good people think I am. I'm complimented a lot on my playstyle, on how smart I play, and how I'm inspiration for those that aren't good at technique. I'm not sure if that last thing is a compliment or not, but I'll take it ^_^

Your NBA example is terrible, by the way - killing is obviously illegal in Bball. A better example is to look at the end game, when a team keeps fouling the other team for a chance at victory. People HATE that strategy, but do they still do it? Heck yeah! In fact, they'd get in trouble if they GAVE UP A GAME rather than do what they could to win.

And Tink is a bad example. No offense to Tink, but he went out to NYC and got beat pretty bad. All of you guys (these are YOUR words) complained about how bad the Midwest is, and how our best can't compete with other regions' best. It's possible that Tink doesn't adapt well in a match. You can't assume that he does - saying that he doesn't play like me doesn't prove your point at all.

If anything, Drephen would better prove your point. I love Drephen - he really doesn't care about playing like I do. In his match against Trail at SMYM Crews, he REFUSED to play "Kish Style" - he charged Trail on flat terrain as if there was no threat of a chain-throw. And you know what? He's SO GOOD at l-canceling that he RARELY got caught! And when he did, he DI'ed toward a platform and was able to get away. Drephen doesn't care about stages or disadvantages. He whines a bit, then he mans up and wins. He goes out to major East Coast tournaments and WINS THE WHOLE THING.

Anyway, just thought I'd respond to Big C. I'm not sure why we still have these debates. I know I'm right, I'm too old to change my opinions. And Big C and his camp knows their right, so it all seems silly.

Watty

Smash Lord
I personally dont care about the wobbles its stupid i don't like it but imma juss play dirty to some1 who does it. But if u guys say u wont do anything until it becomes a problem, why wait for it to be a problem? Stop it b4 it starts is my thing. You want some1 to break it by winning a major tourny that, that person is undeserving a winning b4 you think its a problem and show be banned. That is ********

let it be known that from now on all National sports (football, basketball, hockey, baseball, soccer) anything that is on tv that is a sport must be approven by a commity of people who know wtf there talking about b4 using it to compare to smash.
cause big c lol i love ya but ya failed son that was terrible

btw the comment about fouling made by squared has been referred to the shaq attack. For those who don't know what that is, it is when a team is having trouble defending another teams o they let the ball go to there worst free throw shooter and just foul him, because he sucks so bad at free throws. It happened to Ben Wallace 2 or 3 yrs ago in the finals i believe.

it is called the shaq attack because shaquille o'neal sucks at free throws and it became a big strategy because of him. btw shaq is top 3 centers of all time

Tink

Smash Hero
ROFL, why was i singled out in the NY trip? i believe all of the MW that went got owned.

also, i guess that that ONE tournament means that i cant adapt, though i went to many MLGs and did very well <_<. as well as FC, a BIG EC/MW tournament. i do have my bad days, but you cant say because of 1 tournamnet, that i shouldnt be an example here.

also, Trail was sucking ALL day in crews at FC. i dont think i have to say that, since your self, jeff, was there watching all the MW crew battles. i beat trail at FC with my shiek as well.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I personally dont care about the wobbles its stupid i don't like it but imma juss play dirty to some1 who does it. But if u guys say u wont do anything until it becomes a problem, why wait for it to be a problem? Stop it b4 it starts is my thing. You want some1 to break it by winning a major tourny that, that person is undeserving a winning b4 you think its a problem and show be banned. That is ********
Not just by winning A major tourney. Winning several. Winning one tournament is no big deal.

There are tons of things that could have been potentially banned in the past if you did the whole "stop it before it starts" thing. Any and all chain throws, sheik the character herself, any stage that isn't final destination (helloooooo east coast), peach's downsmash, etc., etc.

You wait and see if it is a problem. The tournament scene is still evolving. It could very possibly be that every player is going to have a backup ice climbers, just like everyone has a backup space animal. Maybe characters like mario and doc will mkae a strong showing in the near future because they do decent against both, and are therefore not too bad of a starter pick. Maybe ganondorf will become the next big craze because he can do well against ICeys (especially bad ones that like to sheild grab). Hell, maybe people are going to realize that zelda can destroy the ice climbers and just bait out the ice climbers with sheik and then switch to zelda. Who knows?

All we know now is that the "wobbles" move hasn't been the predominant thing in any tournament to date. None worth mentioning anyways.

And as for my playstyle..... yeah, it's really, really "cheap". It's that way on purpose.

I beat JV at FC6 on Green Greens, my falco vs. his ice climbers. I made the mistake of fighting him head on and got chain-grabbed and smashed to death until he had 3 stock and I had one. I then decided to play smart and ran away and lasered a lot. ICs weren't fast enough to catch up, they got slammed by bombs and I took every opportunity to gimp nana that I could. I won, JV got knocked out. He wasn't able to adapt.

I beat Needle of Juntah at Game Junkie not too long ago. First match? He 4 stocked me. Easily. Second match I urked out a victory, and third match he chose DK64. I ran away and lasered when on the ground level, and stayed at the top of the two side platforms and the rotating platforms. If he jumped towards me, I jumped away. If he went to the other side, I let him jump up and then I lasered him for about 20% until he got near me. Then I either dropped down and ran away, or jumped over him to the other side. It was very boring to watch, and I was having a lot more fun than Juntah. I won, and moved on. He wasn't able to adapt.

I played nooblube69 (Tayo) for the first time a long time ago, and he was MUCH faster than me. He was the first "fast fox" I had ever played and was destroying me in our initial matches. He suggested we record matches, and we played a set. I won by camping the ledge with doctor mario, spamming pills, and jumping out and bairing or caping him. Every game was just me taking % and running away throwing pills until i got one grab, and then an edgeguard game that lead to one of us dying. I won our first set. He was better than me in every way, but I just played smarter. He refused to adapt.

I played Azen for several matches in a row at MLG NY before anyone else was even in the venue, and I only took off 2 stock for the majority of the games. Every once in a while I'd take off three, but never really thought "i could have had him that game". It wasn't that I didn't try to do "cheap" things, I did. Azen just saw them coming from a mile away. He laughed and said "Okay..." and then just shuffled aerials and refused to advance when I had the advantage, or would mindgame me out of my position. He adapted, laughed about it, then beat me easily. Again and again and again.

There's nothing wrong with my playstyle. Every game I play I try to postpone "real playing" for as long as possible after I've sized up my opponent. I just throw up one brick wall after another, and all the bad players are horribly hindered by them. They might be better than me via experience, might be better than me via technical skill, but I'll still win because they can't figure out what to do when Fox decides to constantly run away and laser you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom