• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMYM 7 (Champaign, IL March 24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathos

Smash Champion
And on the flipside of that, I get a lot of comments about how good people think I am. I'm complimented a lot on my playstyle, on how smart I play, and how I'm inspiration for those that aren't good at technique. I'm not sure if that last thing is a compliment or not, but I'll take it ^_^
I like how you play Jeff. :)

Big C: Owned (logically and grammatically)

Mars-

Smash Champion
By saying that people need to adapt their playing style to avoid the woobles clearly states that you know it is a problem. If the only way to beat something is to avoid it, then I think it is worth banning. You say that people have beaten wooblers, well guess what, they are pros, and we aren't. They don't get caught in it because they know how to not get hit period. You can't expect everyone to stop playing the way they enjoy playing just to beat somebody.

KishSquared

Smash Master
ROFL, why was i singled out in the NY trip? i believe all of the MW that went got owned.
I said I meant no offense, and I only singled you out because Big C did so. You're on top of the Midwest, everyone knows that. I only used that example because everyone, yourself included (correct me if I'm wrong), came back from that trip complaining that the Midwest needs to get better.

also, Trail was sucking ALL day in crews at FC. i dont think i have to say that, since your self, jeff, was there watching all the MW crew battles. i beat trail at FC with my shiek as well.
Ummm.. first, I said SMYM Crews. Second, I didn't get to watch your crew at FC because I was playing in my own match.

Third, saying Trail sucked only proves my point. I used Drephen as an example of how playing good technically can be better than "playing like me", "Kish style", "intelligently", or however you want to call it. If you're saying that Drephen shouldn't have stood a chance, then you're saying he needs to play like me to win?

Watty

Smash Lord
Sheik cannot chain grab me, I play Samus she cant do it i can DI terrible and it wont matter she cant do it. IC can wobble me no matter who I am which is the problem.

FOR THE RECORD WOBBLING IS NOT A PLAY STYLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Defensive, Spamming, Camping, Evasive, Aggressive, are styles. I play spamming/aggressive samus.

Wobbling is a move that is it. Not a style like some people are calling it, it is a move. Big C said something about ti taking 4 lives, and I hope to God some1 doesn't get it 4 times on u because it has to be set up by the right circumstances for it to even work.

But having nana right there with u on a grab isn't impossible, it happens all the time so it could happen once or twice. But that alone to me is enough, getting grabbed one time with nana right there and your dead at 0% is BS IMO.

Big C is also correct in the first match is so crucial because you will ban a neutral, the IC will ban a moving. First match random is always a neutral disadvantage u. U lose counter pick RC and win. Guess where ur going???? another one of the many neutrals and u are at a severe disadvantage.

the thought of the move in a match is also annoying as hell, you not only have to worry about IC other attacks, but ur worried about 1 grab that is it lol ur gonna be thinking 1 grab and im done omfg.

Like I said I am nto against it although i sound like I am, I think tis stupid and stupid that we have to wait for some1 to win FC with it b4 its a problem, thats what bugs me.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Guys, we aren't saying that it's broken and that we aren't going to ban it until it's used to win. The fact is that it HASN'T BEEN PROVEN AS BROKEN YET. No one has consistently won events using it. If someone does, then we can decide if it's truly broken. We aren't against banning it, but we're against preemptively doing so.

If we banned everything because it "looked" broken, the Sheik would be banned. If people do this with Brawl, we're going to have 10 characters banned before the first year pans out, because I can guarantee that things will "look" broken.

The fact is that you need to give something time to pan out to see if it's broken or not. If people had banned Sheik and chain-throwing 3 years ago, the DI game might never have been developed as well as it has been. You never know what's going to happen, and until there's a solid reason to ban something, we should wait and see what happens.

That's all I got. Agree or disagree, this is our stance.

Tink

Smash Hero
ROFL, why didnt you respond to my middle paragraph jeff :p.

also, im not talking about regular crews, im talking about the regional ones. that show trail just sux in crews. i believe that trail beat drephen at fob.

edit: see, heres the thing though, theres NO WAY to get outta the wobbles when you get grabbed. its instant death. i could see if you could get outta it, but you cant.

Watty

Smash Lord
I got 1 more thing on it. than i am also done. U cannot DI it, and there is a difference between banning a character like sheik and chain grabbing which can not be done to every1 like wobbling can, and banning 1 move that wouldn't matter to the character as a whole because IC have other chain grabs that can be used, that with DI could be gotten out of or made harder to do. Wobbling once ur in it ur in it unless they tap the button at the wrong time.

Wobbling juss came out, first big tourney the guy went to he got top 10, second 1 he won the whole thing.

Husband

Smash Lord
You know what I like.... I like when I go home with more cash then I came with. Or receiving a check in the mail from MLG.

I dont care how I got that money or how I played to get it. Its not about how you get there, Just as long as you make it to your destination.

I might not have had fun for 3-4 stock in one of my matches. But I always have fun when I go out to dinner after a tourney and knowing that I just earned that dinner. 3-4 stock of not having fun is worth the fun Im going to have spending that money.

mathos

Smash Champion
Isn't wobbling banning conversations supposed to go to a different thread. This thread is for SMYM7, AOB said its not banned so that should be the end of it.

And why do I only see big CoK sigs on this page.

Husband

Smash Lord
I want to point out that nowhere in my post did I even say the word that we can get warned for saying. I was just commenting on how I like money

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
Meh. I'm against wobbling, but I can deal. Nana is stupid, anywho, and it's fun to smack her away. ^_^

Really, if you're doing what you're supposed to do to the ICs in the first place, it shouldn't come up too often. Wobbling is the sign of a desperate man, so I take it as a really big compliment if someone HAS to bust out that cheapness to win against the other person.

I'll keep playing the way I do, though, and have fun doing it. At least if I lose to it, I know I'll have gone out in my own way, and not having to conform. That's noooo fun. ^_^

Cra$hman

Smash Lord
edit: see, heres the thing though, theres NO WAY to get outta the wobbles when you get grabbed. its instant death. i could see if you could get outta it, but you cant.
theres NO WAY to get out of shinespike once you get shined, i could see if you could get back to the level but you can't

viperboy_74

Smash Master
You're not the ultimate deciding factor on what's fair and what's not.

And Tink is a bad example. No offense to Tink, but he went out to NYC and got beat pretty bad. All of you guys (these are YOUR words) complained about how bad the Midwest is, and how our best can't compete with other regions' best.

point 1 - and you are?

point 2 - at least we went... we had a **** good time and really enjoyed ourselves, all of us. one of us that went doesn't really even play smash... we just went and had fun... the MW WILL eventually beat the other coasts, thats our goal. that was my first time traveling outside of the MW, really (except SA) trail and i losing to a DK and tink losing do a G&W doesn't really matter, we enjoyed ourselves. isn't that the main point?

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
just watched all the cataclysm 3 vids(so far) and I only saw chu able to wobbles like 3 times over 4 matches. KDJ went marth against him and beat him on the IC stages not even counterpicks...

Learn a half ***** marth that can fight IC's

Anybody willing to go a little out of there way to Bloomington IN to pick up 3 very grateful smashers?:( We can give you money...:confused:
Haha, already tried that yo and I got no response except by one person and he can't go now. So I decided that I'm gonna just rent a car. If you really want to go you could all chip in for one and just drive to Champaign, that's probably your best bet.

KishSquared

Smash Master
I sincerely apologize. I never meant to insult, and I apparently did.

Yes TJ, you may be surprised that I agree with your entire post. I never said it was pointless to go. I never said you guys sucked. Big C used Tink as an example as not needing to "play like me", and I responded with "how can you say that - he loses just like the rest of us". That's all I meant.

No one determines what's fair because no one will ever agree. The only objective thing we can all agree on is that the winner of the match is who the game says wins. However you get there is up to you. That's all I believe, and that's all I've ever claimed. I get there my way, Tink his, and Trail his. None of us are "cheap".

That's all.

BIG C

Smash Master
here we go if wobbles isn't banned by mid may or w/e when im supposed to have my tourny tink and I will have the first ever IC infinite banned rule

and to that last post jeff everyone loses

and also for the difficulty in doing the infinite I think we should get someone who has actually experienced it in here. I'll try and talk to caveman and get his views on it in here.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
ok im not gonna quote everything thats been posted but let me get some points out

1. jeffkish, your style is NOT getting more popular. idk wtf the local scrubs are doing in indiana or the mw as a whole for that matter, but it is NOT getting more popular. look at the top 8 players in the NATION (aka where it counts, and who we lose to, THE REST OF THE ****ING NATION). ALLLLLLL of them have a super aggressive playstyle EXCEPT for hugs cuz he plays samus and that is near impossible to do and be successful. is pc chris running away with lasers? is kdj camping on platforms counterpicking to rainbow cruise? i dont think so kish...

2. wobbling = freeze glitch. there is no difference. the only difference is, it's easier to perform. you know this is true when joel mastered it by practicing against a lvl 9 in ONE ****IGN MATCH. also, you cannot "semi-ban" a move. you cant say "oh you can use this technique but only to 300%". otherwise that would be like saying to someone "oh if you get freeze glitched you cant smash di ok? im trusting you here!".

3. wobbling is NOT like any other chaingrab / combo in the game. ALL other chaingrabs are escapable (yes even ic). all other infinites require more than just a measly grab. considering ic's entire game is composed of wd dsmash and grabbing, they will get a grab off. that brings me to my next point

4. you WILL get grabbed. anyone good knows this. saying "dont get grabbed" is like saying "don't get hit". so,

"dont get grabbed" = failure

"dont get grabbed" = change playstyle (and yes this is true)

change playstyle = failure

now this is not to say you wont be successful every time. sure you will get a win here and there. but you could have gotten a win by changing your playstyle against ic even EASIER if they didn't wobble. why? because the ic WILL grab you, but they won't do wobbles. that's the point of #4. an ic WILL grab you. wobbling just makes it so that when they DO get that grab, its instant stock no matter what character, no matter the DI, no matter how many ****ing times you rotate those sticks, no matter what % you are.

5. to crash:

shine spike requires a player make MANY mistakes in advance. fox's game also doesnt revolve around shinespike.

-in contrast-

wobbling requires a grab. as i stated before, this will happen against an ic because that is their entire game. this will happen probably every stock if they know what the **** they are doing.

6. to people who dont wanna ban wobbling because "it hasn't become a problem yet"

A. someone who is not that good just got $700 due to wobbling
B. there is no guarantee you will get a girl pregnant when you have sex with her, but it's better to not take that risk and wear a ****ing condom. ITS A METAPHOR.

7. to bigc:

actually I AM THE FIRST ONE TO BAN WOBBLING IN MY TOURNEY THX.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
Big C, because of the way you typed that mess of words, I'm now going to spend the rest of the week learning how to Wobbles just so I can use it against you and no one else.
Press the enter key, man!
lol get froed,

1. i will not have fox players call anything cheap lol

2. wobbles shouldnt be banned..... no one in mw even does it so who cares.

3. you do w/e it takes to win, you have personal feelings against it then dont do it, but others will so you gotta be ready.

4. lol trail sucks ******* in crews lol this is true

5. drew stanton >> brady quinn

6. ima be munchin on some foxes ...just munchin on their legs as if they were cheese.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
Hey guys, really quick...

What's your opinion on wobbling? Can you explain the pros and cons, as well as the distinctions from other moves and whether or not it should be banned?

Thanks!

SamDvds

Smash Ace
Hey, quick question for those staying at AOB's friday...me and 4 other stlouis smashers are getting dropped off at aob's friday night, but our ride is staying at a hotel...can anyone possibly give us a ride 2 the tourney on saturday morning?

Drephen

Smash Master
in trail style.........

1.) I am very stubborn, i use my style until it works. If the downsmash doesnt work the first time, its gonna work the second!!!

2.) Brady Quinn blows

3.) OMG i hate how OSU pulls everything outta their *** at the last second

4.) Playing for money is gay. Doesn't apply it to the whole community only to like 5% of it.

5.) Wobbling takes the fun outta the game

6.) Somebody pick up forward

Zjiin

Smash Master
Hey, quick question for those staying at AOB's friday...me and 4 other stlouis smashers are getting dropped off at aob's friday night, but our ride is staying at a hotel...can anyone possibly give us a ride 2 the tourney on saturday morning?

Don't do it! She's takes you to Jungle Japes!

mathos

Smash Champion
Big C wobbling has been banned at several tournaments prior to it being coined "wobbling"

And when did this topic change from SMYM to wobbling? Don't argue with the host, or he could ban you just like Joshu banned Big C.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
What?!? This is absurd. Stay with your ride at the hotel instead of abusing my hospitality.

You are all lucky that I didn't really have any way to put a cap on housing. I would charge a door fee, but you *******s like to arrive long after I've gone to bed.

On the off-chance that there is a SMYM 8, there will be no free housing.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Alright, escaping wobbling isn't rocket science.

Step 1. Ban FD. That's half the battle right there.

Step 2. Learn to move your fingers quickly. You can get out of a grab before they even hit you at 20%, and after one hit until after 40%. I can do it every time, and it isn't a lie. Ask Kel. :p

Step 3. Learn to ****ing play against the ice climbers. If you get grabbed, you're screwed. Period. That's how the ice climbers work. Ganon and Link can both be 0-death easily by sheik's downthrow. How do they play? The don't get grabbed.

-Stay in the air.

-Stay on platforms. Waveland off of them to aerials for best effects.

-If you have a grab with splash damage, use it to seperate the two, and then add % to nana.

-If Nana's % is much higher than Popo's, they shouldn't ever, under any circumstances, be together.

-Learn to use jabs, shines, up+B's, grabs, and any other quick move after an aerial to push the ice climbers away

-learn to light shield. This makes it extremely difficult for the Ice climbers to follow you, and even harder to grab you. A jab from nana pushes you out of grab range

-learn to counter-pick. People learn Fox and Falco to kill sheik, and everyone that wants to kill the ice climbers can learn peach, ganon, marth, Samus or zelda. Hell, if the only thing you are worried about is wobbling, learn link or young link and just hold a bomb in your hand. GG wobbling.

-learn a counter-pick stage that would be good against the Ice Climbers. I suggest Brinstar. They can't even Wobble because of the lava. If not Brinstar, try Corneria or Green Greens. Both are good against the Ice Climbers.

-learn to play ice climbers yourself. 100% of all people *****ing about Wobbles are people that do not play ice climbers. Ice climber players that would LIKE to wobble but CAN'T are supportive of the technique because they know it is difficult. If someone actually PLAYED the ice climbers in a tournament and attempted to wobble to win, they would get creamed unless they had a very solid ice climber game to being with. Don't give me the crap about Joel learning it in one match against a level 9 computer. I could care less. If Joel wins SMYM7 by wobbling with his new ice climbers, I could still care less. I'd consider him a prodigy in ice climber play and want to ask him all sorts of questions.

-learn to play ice climbers again because if you can play ice climber dittos, the other ice climber player is screwed sideways if they rely on grab combos.

-use projectiles. The following characters have projectiles that can prevent the ice climbers from approaching on the ground and/or approaching together in a way that they can wobble:

Falco
Sheik
Doc
Mario
Peach
Link
Young Link
Ice Climbers
Samus
Pikachu
Pichu
Zelda

and in rare occurances
Ness (pk thunder, pk fire)
Bowser (flame)
Kirby (retreating up+b)
Yoshi (egg)
Mewtwo (when shadowball fully charged)

Fox's blaster even works wonders if the fox player is smart enough to run away and shoot lasers.

Grabs are deadly. If you haven't picked up on that yet, you need a wakeup call. I was sitting next to IK_Ghost (DA Dave's registered MLG name) when he was playing Bum. Bum lost.

Why did Bum lose? Because DA Dave was smart enough to stop rushing him and shoot lasers. One grab would kill Dave, or at least bring him to a dangerous %. Dave adapted.

If you can't adapt to wobbling, you're either stubborn or bad at melee.

To be wobbled, you have to be at at least 40% (if you are paying attention), nana has to be in posistion (difficult since most grabs the IC get are after wavedashes or dashes), there can be no outward obstacles (bombs, wind, moving platforms, moving stage), and you have to get the timing right from the get-go.

If the person is only mediocre at wobbling and has to do it after a dair combo or a blizzard, that means you have all that more time to get out.

Hell, look at the neutral stages.

-Final Destination (immediately banned, or is used as your one reset)
-Dreamland 64 (large platforms, wind to move ice climbers)
-Yoshi's Story (platforms, shy guys to desynch the ice climbers if they are doing a grab combo on platforms)
-Pokemon Stadium (ever changing landscape, always platforms)
-Fountain of Dreams (moving platforms)
-Battlefield (3 large platforms)

and in some cases, Rainbow Cruise, which is a no brainer.

You've got options on every single one of the stages. Even in FD, proper spacing and mindgames make it difficult for the ICs to wobble. It is still an uphill battle, but you can take steps to work on it.

All the others? You have plenty of platforms to help you out, and most of them even have more than that.

Just do your best. If they ban wobbling, they need to ban sheik because hse's the reason most low tiers can't be effectively used. They might as well ban captain falcon too, because he can tech chase anyone from 0 to death off of one grab or two stomps. Fox's down+b and upthrow-uair too, since both of them are effective and nigh impossible to escape a combo once the move goes in place.

Yeah, they can mess up, but people can mess up wobbling too.

Just play good smash. No one worth their salt is going to lose to wobbling unless the ice climber player is good in the first place. Chu gets a consistent 5th-2nd in every tournament because people just don't know how to play against the Ice Climbers. As time has gone on, he's been forced to innovate. He's even playing a Fox now.

All this whining about a move that 90% of the people here haven't seen or had used against them in a tournament anywhere near them is making me worry for Brawl's rulesets.

"No Snake because his rocket is too cheap"
"No Pit, he's marth with wings"

:\

Cra$hman

Smash Lord
my car might have room for 1 or 2 (have to check with the driver)

Tink

Smash Hero
ROFL, i thought we said no more talking about the wobbling in here <_<.

also, this is going to be too good, but ima be happy when chu comes and beats everyone while doin the wobbles =). its make my day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom