• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashturbation! Melee. IT'S LIKE THE THING THAT JUST KEEPS DYING!!!!

alphameric

Smash Ace
07.08.04 - SMASHTURBATION BI-WEEKLY VIDEOS
DOUBLES
Grand Finals :
TEAM RYAN FORD vs. JAKE & DANIEL
R01 , R02 , R03, R04 , R05

SINGLES
Winners Bracket : Finals
UNKNOWN522 vs. DELORTED1
R01 , R02 , R03

Losers Bracket : Grand Finals
RAYNEX vs. UNKNOWN522
R01 , R02 , R03

Losers Bracket : Finals
RAYNEX vs. IB
R02 , R03

Losers Bracket : Semi-Finals
RAYNEX vs. DIVINEKNIGHT
R01
, R02

Losers Bracket : Quarter-Finals

RAYNEX vs. RUNAWAYFIRE
R01
, R02

Once again, my apologies for the quality.
I thought I could do real-time mp3 compression instead of doing uncompressed audio. The result was that video fps was missing record ~4% of the total frames, so I had vegas chop it to fit to the sound.
No Johns though.

And just so you have an idea of how long the rendering/compression/uploading process takes, it takes my
laptop ~40min from vegas to youtube per video. Tack another 10min for youtube processing once it's up.

You may not think that's a lot of time, but during the vegas/vdub process, I can really do anything on my computer, which isn't ideal since I have real work to do.

I've got settings prepared for this coming tournament, so it should all be good when uploading time comes around.

BTW, crowd footage is good and all when it comes to combo videos and crew battles, but it really doesn't work/fit well for single matches.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
let's do it.

Adrian: Thx for the vids
K I don't get it.

Anywhoo;

I think the current price for the biweeklies is grossly out of proportion. $10-15 per event for something that isn't even a real tournament!?

srsly, when did smash become a rich man's game? It think it would be MUCH better if it was something convenient and low like $2. be real here.

If you can find a good reason why it should be wickedly expensive, then go ahead!

If it is cheaper, people will actually be able to come to the biweekly and have fun, just because it is a bit cheaper doesn't mean you can't play at the same level as $10.

Marco the "sexy god of sex" agrees as well. People are not made of money, and there are things I would much rather spend my $40 or so dollars on every month.

and:

D

Deleted member

It's not wickedly expensive at all. If you have a problem with the prices, just don't enter.

D

Deleted member

I love playing smash and enjoy the community..what makes you say that? Why would I go through the trouble of making the PR with a bunch of others? Why would I go to Montreal twice, Ottawa once, and perhaps Calgary, for smash? I love it, I've spent months of my life playing this game. I would not play it if it weren't for the competition.

The entrance fee makes it competitive and the stakes are raised which makes it more intense and for a lot of people, fun. 2 dollar entrance fee tournaments seem kind of silly and I would be more inclined to go someone I'm not as good with, aka Marth, and kinda **** around.

You don't have to enter the tournaments..just pay the 1 dollar house fee and just play friendlies, if you don't feel like paying money.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
I think $10 for singles is a perfect price.
It really sucks when the entry fee is less, and you play really hard to get to a position and you walk out with like $10.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
I love playing smash and enjoy the community..what makes you say that? Why would I go through the trouble of making the PR with a bunch of others? Why would I go to Montreal twice, Ottawa once, and perhaps Calgary, for smash? I love it, I've spent months of my life playing this game. I would not play it if it weren't for the competition.

The entrance fee makes it competitive and the stakes are raised which makes it more intense and for a lot of people, fun. 2 dollar entrance fee tournaments seem kind of silly and I would be more inclined to go someone I'm not as good with, aka Marth, and kinda **** around.
LOL

You and I both know you are blowing smoke up my *** now. You said you wouldn't travel anymore, you went though a whole fit and everything.

Why not go to the upcoming Montreal tournament? Not fun? Smash? srsly?

You are making stuff up, because you have no, (let me bold that), no good reason why it shouldn't be cheaper.

It isn't even a real tournament, and makes it competitive? If you can't play competitively for $0, you are a sad person indeed.

I think $10 for singles is a perfect price.
It really sucks when the entry fee is less, and you play really hard to get to a position and you walk out with like $10.
I don't get it. Why is NNR ALL ABOUT THE MONEY?

Can't spend some time with people? Enjoy the game? Have a nice day?

I think you are just saying stuff to stay in league with Jake. You don't have to let him bring you down you know.

If this thing was a real tournament, I would be more inclined to keep it the regular price.

btw, I said 'like' $2

alphameric

Smash Ace
Since these aren't big tournaments, prices shouldn't be very high.
However, like Jake said, low prices don't really give the penalty of having something to lose. People would be entering tournaments with low tier characters like GAW. I mean, wtf does that.

$10 isn't terrible, but that's $10 tacked onto transport, so that can add up for some people.
I think $10 is the sweet spot really. Not a lot to make you rich if you win, but not so little that transport costs more than the pot.

Playing friendlies are for every other day that isn't tournament day :p

D

Deleted member

LOL

You and I both know you are blowing smoke up my *** now. You said you wouldn't travel anymore, you went though a whole fit and everything.
Woah there man, calm down.. I never went through a fit. I did say I probably wouldn't travel for smash again..but that's because mainly because I've run out of cash flow and desire to go. I mainly traveled to keep my spot on the EC PR, but when I realized that the EC PR is quickly becoming the MTL PR, Noah and I pretty much decided that it's not worth the $200 plus round trip, which is a lot of money for us. Neither of us have jobs.

Lanowen said:
Why not go to the upcoming Montreal tournament? Not fun? Smash? srsly?

You are making stuff up, because you have no, (let me bold that), no good reason why it shouldn't be cheaper.

It isn't even a real tournament, and makes it competitive? If you can't play competitively for $0, you are a sad person indeed.
Wait wait, so just because it's in someone's house, it's not a real tournament? I like the house tournament atmosphere a lot more, it feels very comfortable and welcoming - besides, there's no fee.

Do you think people who play competitive poker for money whine about antes and joining a game? Why is smash different?

Lanowen said:

I enjoy the game all the time. Last smashturbation, which you didn't come to, was a lot of fun and almost no one was there.. did you see me complaining at all??? No. I had a great time and I saw people that I hadn't in a while.

Lanowen said:
I think you are just saying stuff to stay in league with Jake. You don't have to let him bring you down you know.

What are you talking about. .............................

Lanowen said:
If this thing was a real tournament, I would be more inclined to keep it the regular price.

btw, I said 'like' $2
The venue doesn't make or break the tournament status my friend

Runawayfire

Smash Lord

btw, I said 'like' $2
Oh shut up, first off. How many times have I travelled out to play and money wasn't involved? Plenty of times, ask around, those are the facts. So there you go, you just made yourself look ****ing stupid. Good Work.

Also, I love how you dont even respect my post enough to have it qualify as my own opinion.... Jake had nothing to do with it. Even though we've both given you reasons why we want it as more money. And for your clarification, a bi-weekly is a real tournament.

Deep down you want it as $2 because you know you dont have a chance in winning. How about having some consideration for those who do actually have a chance and stop whining. You sound like a 12 year old.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Woah there man, calm down.. I never went through a fit. I did say I probably wouldn't travel for smash again..but that's because mainly because I've run out of cash flow and desire to go. I mainly traveled to keep my spot on the EC PR, but when I realized that the EC PR is quickly becoming the MTL PR, Noah and I pretty much decided that it's not worth the $200 plus round trip, which is a lot of money for us. Neither of us have jobs.
Nor do I have a job.

Wait wait, so just because it's in someone's house, it's not a real tournament? I like the house tournament atmosphere a lot more, it feels very comfortable and welcoming - besides, there's no fee.
I am pretty sure that I didn't say house anywhere in there. Straw man much?

Do you think people who play competitive poker for money whine about antes and joining a game? Why is smash different?
Good job, comparing real gambling with a video game 'tournament'.

The venue doesn't make or break the tournament status my friend
I know that.

Oh shut up, first off. How many times have I travelled out to play and money wasn't involved? Plenty of times, ask around, those are the facts. So there you go, you just made yourself look ****ing stupid. Good Work.
Hey there. You know how much I've travelled? No, you are making yourself look stupid.

Also, I love how you dont even respect my post enough to have it qualify as my own opinion.... Jake had nothing to do with it. Even though we've both given you reasons why we want it as more money. And for your clarification, a bi-weekly is a real tournament.
The same reason? You always seem to agree with Jake. I didn't say that you two were consorting direction. I think it is something that just happened over time.

Deep down you want it as $2 because you know you dont have a chance in winning. How about having some consideration for those who do actually have a chance and stop whining. You sound like a 12 year old.
Me not have a chance? I think I have more of a change than more than half the people there do. You really don't understand? I am sure I mentioned it. I don't have money, and I really don't care about winning, if it were up to me, it would be free and everyone can have a good time regardless of any payout.

D

Deleted member

I am pretty sure that I didn't say house anywhere in there. Straw man much?
Then what reason do you consider the bi-weeklies to be not real tournaments? What's your reason? All you've said is, "if it was a "real" tournament, then it would be a little more acceptable". So what makes a tournament real? Also, you don't know what a straw man argument is. Just because I'm assuming something that I thought was very obviously implied doesn't make it a straw man

Please correct me, what makes the bi-weeklies not real tournaments? You haven't stated this yet

Lanowen said:
Good job, comparing real gambling with a video game 'tournament'.
Have you honestly not had a bunch of buddies over at your house to play $5 dollar a game poker? The tournaments we host is gambling, no matter what you call it. I'm not talking about WPT, I'm talking about local poker, it's very easily comparable to smash.

Lanowen said:
Hey there. You know how much I've travelled? No, you are making yourself look stupid.
If I may BacoNate

I'm sorry, but are you dumb? He's not stating that you haven't, or saying anything of the sort - he's showing proof that he's not all about the money. We've spent tons of money on smash trips and didn't make any money, nor did we hope to. What do your trips have to do with anything?

Lanowen said:
The same reason? You always seem to agree with Jake. I didn't say that you two were consorting direction. I think it is something that just happened over time.
I honestly have no idea what you're going on about here

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
This doesn't discredit my point at all. When did I say you didn't travel? You said I was all about the money, and I pointed out the fact that you sound retarted, seeing as how I've travelled for non-money events many times.
Am I going to have to explain a third time before you get the point?
Edit: Wow, even Jake has told you now, do you get it?

You dont make any sense, first you said I was doing it cause of Jake.
And now you're saying I'm not?

Holly ****, me and Jake agree? It must be all that secret NNR brainwashing... it couldn't be because we both actually think its a good idea to have it as $10.... and have logical reasons backing ourselves. :psycho:
Holly crap Alphameric agrees? He must have gotten in on those brainwashing sessions too!

Me not have a chance? I think I have more of a change than more than half the people there do. You really don't understand? I am sure I mentioned it. I don't have money, and I really don't care about winning, if it were up to me, it would be free and everyone can have a good time regardless of any payout.
If you dont have money then dont enter, bottom line. Its very selfish of you to ruin it for the rest of us. Not everyone agrees with you that 'no payout' = fun. You ever tried playing poker with your friends for no money? Not fun.

You've got tons of games and stuff.... AND had the money to do all that travelling you were talking about. Why the **** should we all suffer cause you just dont have enough money this time? That has nothing to do with us.
You're ****ing selfish, no matter how noble you try to portray yourself.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Then what reason do you consider the bi-weeklies to be not real tournaments? What's your reason? All you've said is, "if it was a "real" tournament, then it would be a little more acceptable". So what makes a tournament real? Also, you don't know what a straw man argument is. Just because I'm assuming something that I thought was very obviously implied doesn't make it a straw man

Please correct me, what makes the bi-weeklies not real tournaments? You haven't stated this yet
You should know by now that I don't imply things like that.

Anyway, what makes this not like a real tournament? The people. I didn't really want to say it, but the number and caliber of the people, isn't worth $10. The venue plays only a small part. I don't want everyone to loose so much money when they really don't need to. You obviously don't care about them because you really only seem to care about NNR in every situation.

Have you honestly not had a bunch of buddies over at your house to play $5 dollar a game poker? The tournaments we host is gambling, no matter what you call it. I'm not talking about WPT, I'm talking about local poker, it's very easily comparable to smash.
I didn't say it is gambling, but competitive poker does not compare to competitive SSBM, you now are just trying to change what you said earlier. first competitive, now local. Make up your mind.

If I may BacoNate

I'm sorry, but are you dumb? He's not stating that you haven't, or saying anything of the sort - he's showing proof that he's not all about the money. We've spent tons of money on smash trips and didn't make any money, nor did we hope to. What do your trips have to do with anything?
I suppose I was trying to imply that it gives me the right to ****-talk.

EDIT: Let me just tac this on...//

brainwashing stuff
Hey, couldn't have said it better myself :)

If you dont have money then dont enter, bottom line. Its very selfish of you to ruin it for the rest of us. Not everyone agrees with you that 'no payout' = fun. You ever tried playing poker with your friends for no money? Not fun.
We are talking about a ****ing video game. Not a gambling game which IS all about the money

You've got tons of games and stuff.... AND had the money to do all that travelling you were talking about. Why the **** should we all suffer cause you just dont have enough money this time? That has nothing to do with us.
You're ****ing selfish, no matter how noble you try to portray yourself.
That is a good argument, but that is only directed at me. Still rather good.

Although, I still find it sad that you need money to motivate you. What do you do for things that do not have money involved? Chores, homework, schoolwork, hobbies?

unknown522

Some guy
so true. Anything with placing money is gambling. We should keep it @ $10, even though I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna win money from singles but it's worth a shot.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
That is a good argument, but that is only directed at me. Still rather good.

Although, I still find it sad that you need money to motivate you. What do you do for things that do not have money involved? Chores, homework, schoolwork, hobbies?
Everyone does chores, schoolwork = homework, and as for hobbies I've been a part of the Toronto breakdancing scene for about 3 years now.

Which is something that I travell all around the city to practise 3-4 times a week. All of this involves no money (unless you're actually good enough to win an event, which only a smaller percentage of bboys are.)
Its a lifestyle more dedicated and harder to do then smash, and involves like 20x less the money.

Besides that I also play chess with a fairly wide variety of people. Of course, no money involved.

There, you just made yourself look stupid again.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Everyone does chores, schoolwork = homework, and as for hobbies I've been a part of the Toronto breakdancing scene for about 3 years now.

Which is something that I travell all around the city to practise 3-4 times a week. All of this involves no money (unless you're actually good enough to win an event, which only a smaller percentage of bboys are.)
Its a lifestyle more dedicated and harder to do then smash, and involves like 20x less the money.

Besides that I also play chess with a fairly wide variety of people. Of course, no money involved.

There, you just made yourself look stupid again.
But I just made my point.

You don't need money to enjoy yourself and motivate yourself with this stuff.

Thanks. :laugh:

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
You seem to change your point as you see fit.
Your point seems to be that no matter how much we explain things to you, you still want to ruin things for everyone else.

Alphameric already put it well, " tournaments are not for friendlies". Its about a reward for doing your best and the tournament actually meaning something. By your logic the olympics shouldn't award metals, and just announce that " They're all winners!"

How many times do we have to explain things to you? Its insulting that you're letting your emotions blind you from our point like this.

I'm off to bed, I think you should get some sleep too.

D

Deleted member

Andy, this is so not like you. Normally your points are good, but I dont even know with some of the things you're saying right now. What's up?

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
You seem to change your point as you see fit.
I am not changing my point, I said it is sad that you need money to motivate you, $10 in this case for a SSBM event. You said you do stuff that doesn't require money and you still have fun/do it or whatever.

I made my point, you can still do things for little or no money, so maybe I was right with your agreeing with Jake. I don't think you really care about this as much as you are letting on.

Alphameric already put it well, " tournaments are not for friendlies". Its about a reward for doing your best and the tournament actually meaning something. By your logic the olympics shouldn't award metals, and just announce that " They're all winners!"
No, not by my logic, you don't understand what I am saying. This event is far from the olympics, FAR from being a tournament of any mention to good people that play SSBM. Stop making things up and commenting on which you do not understand.

How many times do we have to explain things to you? Its insulting that you're letting your emotions blind you from our point like this.
You are so everywhere on your point, it is hard for even I, who have no emotions to see your point.

Andy, this is so not like you. Normally your points are good, but I dont even know with some of the things you're saying right now. What's up?
I don't really understand how you can't.

These phrases are rather boggling!

My points are solid! You are the ones who keep chaning you points of views.

Comparing this smash event to a competitive poker game, then denying it and telling me you were REALLY talking about local games with buddies at your place!

whatever

Vegetto2k2

Smash Journeyman
ok umm... i have no idea what the argument is about, but whatever the reason.. you should seriously think about the better things in life... you know.. like combs... and uhh.. brooms.. you know.. stuff that people use for doing stuff... yeah... combs are good.... ..

Bread-Butterer

Smash Ace
OK, I may be a little drunk right now, but Andy you're acting like an ***. Is anyone else complaining about prices? I've paid at least this much to enter several tournaments and win nothing. In fact, I've paid much more than this to win nothing (200$ round trips to Montreal, as Jake mentioned). What you pay for is the competitive experience. No one will try if there's little to no prize, so where's the fun in that? If everyone steps up and agrees with you, then fine, but until that happens, you're arguments seem petty and bitter.

Biweeklies are here to make us all better. We can't get better unless we all try our hardest, and that won't happen unless there's a prize. It may not be fair, but it's true. Sorry man, but I have trouble seeing how money is an issue for a guy who travels to American events, which I assume costs a little more than 10$?

coolhat

Smash Journeyman
YEA MY m3 SIMPLY SHIPPED TODAY!!!!!!!!!

which was hard to afford with these incredibly expensive biweekly prices...

and adrian whats a maata you
the new stage ROCKS

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
*sigh* I wish people wouldn't tack insults onto what could have been a normal discussion :(

Anyway... I don't even know where to start, so whatever. I'll just ramble.

1st off: I don't consider smash to be gambling because gambling is chance based and a good smash bracket isn't (doubles at caketown was a bad example XD). It's true money adds competative edge, which is awesome. I'm torn between both points: I love having that intensity, but I hate it when people get too serious over the $10 they paid to enter (It's happened where people have gotten mad during matches and it's just not worth it). I work really hard to study the game and improve so I can win, and honestly if I ever won a tournament I wouldn't care too much about the money in comparison to how happy I would be for winning a tournament. The highest I've ever placed is 13th out of 47 entrants, and if I ever made the top 5 in a tournament I would be really happy. I know some of you are used to winning so you'll look at things differently, but for the reason I just expressed above (very badly so, I'm sorry if it made no sense, I'm kind of tired) I have to agree with Andy's sentiments as well. So I'm still undecided. Yay for useless posts?

btw Nate: it's cool that you can breakdance. you should show us :laugh:

EDIT: yes, I know there have been two posts since the end of that discussion, but I wanted to say some things that have been on my mind, however irelevant they might be. Mainly just that money may be making competition too serious.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I'll never leave these boards unsupervised again.

1 page of random argumentative dialogue?
geez...its

EXACTLY what we need before a tournament. KEEP IT UP.

D.B

Smash Ace
I agree with Andy here, this is just a bi-weekly it's not necessary to pay 10$ to single then another 5 for each doubles partner and even for food. IT IS JUST A BIWEEKLY! It shouldn't cost nearly as much as it does, people can do just as good with lets say 5$ per person for singles in a pot. I know the NNR members like it 10$ because you win the pot and congrats on that, but forthe rest of the people that aren't NNR it's just like "here take our 10$".

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
I come off on this discussion like the Sheik vs Marth matchup.

Should I quit this arguement right now?

60/40 for Less.

I know this sudden burst of posts out of nowhere is lulz but I hosted a smashfest today and a good portion of us Sauga people where around. We spoke around about it and agreed here about the prices. That being said I do agree that more that's on stake, the more serious you want to play, the better you game comes from playing with so much grit. That's given, but =/ money is sorta tough and it would be nice to sorta tack down the entry fees for biweeklies. Biweeklies should be the spot between smashfests and tournaments. That's my opinion.

I would probably have more support on this, but I am sorta tired and shiz. I personally hope there are no grudges from this arguement. I will a couple of things. If there is anyone who busts their *** interms of travelling for non-profit smashing, it's definately Nate. I wouldn't say he's in for the money, it's more for high stakes for him. Jake, after playing him at the last biweekly I will say he has some **** fun playing this game, can see that. And Andy just likes to do what's best for the community, and has been doing that for quite awhile with this game's history and scene. -__- **** this, i'm nappin' now.

coolhat

Smash Journeyman
I know this sudden burst of posts out of nowhere is lulz but I hosted a smashfest today and a good portion of us Sauga people where around. We spoke around about it and agreed here about the prices. That being said I do agree that more that's on stake, the more serious you want to play, the better you game comes from playing with so much grit. That's given, but =/ money is sorta tough and it would be nice to sorta tack down the entry fees for biweeklies. Biweeklies should be the spot between smashfests and tournaments. That's my opinion.

I would probably have more support on this, but I am sorta tired and shiz. I personally hope there are no grudges from this arguement. I will a couple of things. If there is anyone who busts their *** interms of travelling for non-profit smashing, it's definately Nate. I wouldn't say he's in for the money, it's more for high stakes for him. Jake, after playing him at the last biweekly I will say he has some **** fun playing this game, can see that. And Andy just likes to do what's best for the community, and has been doing that for quite awhile with this game's history and scene. -__- **** this, i'm nappin' now.
Hmm, I like that point about how a biweekly is between a tourney and a smashfest. Once in a while tournaments are great and anyone is willing to pay 10 dollars +++++++++. But when it comes to a biweekly when its going to happen every 2nd week it gets really hard to keep pouring out that money with all that transportation and ****.

Ok, and please understand i am NOT saying no one else has the same problems, because i know plenty of toronto and CoS has the same problem, but shoudnt that give more fuel to the "bring down the biweekly to 5 dollars" train.

No one here is trying to be a ****, or a whiner, or a *****, or a *****, the fact of the matter is, we're poor................. and you could say then just dont come, but then that would suck.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
I think its funny how everyone seems to be forgeting that the normal price for singles is $15. This is already a step down.

We're just as broke as the rest of you. Its not like we're sitting at a round table of rich white gentlemen wearing monocles and smoking from pipes.

Honestly though, $2-$5 is rediculous. How would you feel if you bust your *** and get second..... and your prize is like $10..... or even less. Hmm?

Top Bottom