• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashturbation! Melee. IT'S LIKE THE THING THAT JUST KEEPS DYING!!!!

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
Post if you are going to come. I want to know what I'm looking at in terms of numbers. If you post a "maybe" please check back to confirm yourself as "yes" or "no".

This is a Melee tournament. Therefore, it is strongly advised to NOT come to this if you are only interested in playing Brawl.

Results:
Results for the first one can be found here.
Results for the second one can be found here.
Results for the third one can be found here
Results for the fourth one can be found here.
Results for the fifth one can be found here.
Results for the sixth one can be found here. I'm pretty.
Results for the seventh one can be found here.

Videos:
The Video Archive Thread is located here. MOST OF THE VIDS HERE ARE REALLY OUTDATED AND THIS ISN'T BEING UPDATED ANYMORE

THE NEXT BIWEEKLY WILL BE ON
lololololol

THE BIWEEKLY WILL BE HELD AT

Times: 11:00 am - whenever (time limit is not set in stone but I'm likely going to evict you at ten to eleven)

HOW THE F*CK DO I GET THERE
TTC: Take the 53 Steeles East to Henderson (other side is Maxome). This will be between Bayview and Yonge. Walk the path North to the townhouses. There will be a public school (Henderson Ave Public School) on the other side of the street that 85 Henderson is on. You cannot miss it. I'm unit 20. TWENTY.

By Car: Go to Google.ca. Go to maps. Go to "Get Directions". In the destination box, punch in "85 Henderson Thornhill ON L3T" (my address). In the other box, punch yours. "85 Henderson Thornhill ON L3T" in the destination box will yield my address every time I have tested this four times. Alternatively use mapquest.

If you use mapquest:

mapquest --> get directions

fill in start location accordingly. i don't know where you're coming from.

in end location/destination or whatever mapquest uses do the following:

in City put "Thornhill"
in ZIP put "L3T"
in State put "ON"
in address or intersection put "85 Henderson"

This will yield my address.

COSTS
Singles: $10.00 (let's be honest; an $80.00 pot is meh and we're going for singles more than anything)
Doubles: $5.00 / person (ergo $10.00 for a team; math is fun)

Prize Distribution
Singles: 60 / 30 / 10
Doubles: depends

Event Times (not set in stone):
Pools come first. We almost always get 20+ people so we do four or more pools depending on the number. This is to eliminate people so we get a 16 man bracket and to ensure that our newer players or weaker players get a chance to play at least X tournament sets. In addition to this it lets me do bracket with no bias, since people are seeded in bracket according to pools results.

Pools happen from 12:30 to whenever they finish.

After pools, which is generally done around 4-5, we get doubles (sometimes we do a break and then doubles but whatever this isn't set in stone). Doubles has no pool or seeding so brackets can be gay but typically this isn't a huge issue. When doubles is finished (usually around 6 or 7) we have a break for food because honestly people will want food.

After that we do singles bracket and that wraps the tourney up. Single bracket ends when it ends.

Rough Time Estimation:
Singles Pools --- 12 : 30 -- 4 : 30
Doubles --- 5 : 00 -- 7 : 00
Food --- 7 : 00 -- 8 : 00
Singles Bracket --- 8 : 00 -- 11 : 00

These times assume things go slowly. We've finished around 10 before with a 24 man turnout (which is about average) and had time for a draft crew battle that ended at 12. We're awesome like that.

Rules:
- No excessive stalling. Use of the infinite wall bomber or rising pound or whatnot constitutes this and I, as a referee, will get angry. And possibly disqualify you if you camp underneath battlefield as Jigglypuff and use infinite rising pound.

- Wobbling is legal. People who hate IC or play IC or have morals against Wobbling may want to indulge in a scream of terror or a scream of joy depending on your perspective. Or you could be like most of us and not care too much because we only seem to have 3 IC players anyways.

- Pausing excessively or using it to break chain throws or what should have otherwise killed you forfeits your stock or, in the case of the former, disqualifications.

- Neutrals on Random (singles) are: Fountain of Dreams (off in teams due to lag), Dreamland64, Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Story and Pokemon Stadium.

- Stages on Counterpick are: Corneria, Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, Pokefloats, Mute City (Off in doubles), Jungle Japes, Kongo Jungle (DK64), Mushroom Kingdom II (Doubles only), and the Neutrals.

- Dave's Modified Stupid Rule is implemented: You can use stages you've lost on as counterpick but not stages you've won on.

-Advanced slob picks: Double blind character select and random neutral stage game 1. Loser then either calls random or a stage, winner picks his or her character, then the loser selects character. (The latter 2 do not apply in the case of a random match call).

- Sets are Bo3 for all rounds until winners, losers and grand finals which are Bo5 (grand finals are Bo11; person from losers has to win two sets whereas person from winners needs one set).

- Pools if there are 20 or more people. Otherwise just bracket with seeding.

- Bring Your Own Controller. You will not be supplied one.

- All matches are 4 stock, 8 minutes. Life stealing on in teams, friendly fire on in teams, etc. You know all this crap and I'm writing it out as a formality.

- Behave or Adam will hurt you, and I may do something worse mentally. No alcohol. I realize most of us probably drink anyways, but we have children here too who are not drinkers, etc. No smoking. Mike will kill you and I may be tempted to **** your corpse.

- I'm sure there's other crap but I can't remeber it right now and you probably know already anyways.

Equipment:

You guys need to bring some stuff. I'm looking to run 4-8 tvs at once with 6 being the most realistic and likely number.

TV:
1) Dragon_Hawk
2) Dragon_Hawk
3) Dragon_Hawk
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Gamecube/Smash/Memory Card:
1) Dragon_Hawk
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Feel free to bring your own VCR or whatever if you want to record your own matches.

People coming:
1) KirbyKaze
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25)
26)
27)
28)
29)
30)
31)
32)

Contacting the Important People:
PM Me for my email or # if appropriate. Make sure to give me your # because I'm trying to compile a list so this stays organized and stuff.

I have an alternate account floating around called KirbyKaze. PM that account.

Please post if you intend on making this or if you can bring something so I have an idea of numbers and what we're working with.

DLSix

Smash Rookie
Well if I can come (aka if I'm not working on saturday), I'll be happy to bring a wii along with smash and a memory card. (Don't have a GCN anymore.)

However...I've been working saturdays pretty consistently lately so don't count too much on it. I'd really love to come though, we'll see what happens.

Btw, I live at Islington and Rexdale, I assume I can take the Islington bus up to steeles and transfer onto a steeles bus there that will take me to your place? >_>

It's times like this I wish people held events on Sundays. :(

180OP

Smash Journeyman
Aug. 4th sounds good I might make it if my bro will drive me. I'm not a fan of the TTC. I live in North York (don mills and finch).

I can bring a TV and a cube. My TV is small though, maybe 12-14 inches. It is 15 years old but all the color and everything is normal.

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
@ DLSix

If sundays turn out to be more unanimously convenient for the community I'll move it. I'm flexible like that. Really, I'm trying to iron out these inconsistencies in the early stages.

You're at islington? I'd get to Islington station and ttc it to finch and then take the Steeles East (53). However, if you wanted details I'd ask Lone Wolf (aka TyrantWolf) for TTC information given he basically lives on the TTC.

@1800P

Any TV is great lol. Believe me, I'm not going to complain about how big a TV is. Should I mark you down under TVs or wait on you for a final answer?

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
Aug. 4th sounds good I might make it if my bro will drive me. I'm not a fan of the TTC. I live in North York (don mills and finch).

I can bring a TV and a cube. My TV is small though, maybe 12-14 inches. It is 15 years old but all the color and everything is normal.

You're not too far off actually.

The first big street after Finch would be Steeles. And Don Mills from Bayview-ish isn't that big of a gap.

What you need to do is get to Steeles somehow, and I'm pretty sure that won't be hard since there are tons of buses that get to Steeles. And then once you get to Steeles you take the 53 bus going to Finch station (ask the driver if it does) what you would ask the bus driver is to call out Henderson. If he's unfamiliar with the street (he really shouldn't) ask him to get you off @ Maxome. But it should be the stop after Bayview, really.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
Sometimes I feel sorry for that guy giving rides like he does. But Ambrose is made of <3.

Seriously, he's made of "less than 3"

Well if I can come (aka if I'm not working on saturday), I'll be happy to bring a wii along with smash and a memory card. (Don't have a GCN anymore.)

However...I've been working saturdays pretty consistently lately so don't count too much on it. I'd really love to come though, we'll see what happens.

Btw, I live at Islington and Rexdale, I assume I can take the Islington bus up to steeles and transfer onto a steeles bus there that will take me to your place? >_>

It's times like this I wish people held events on Sundays. :(
Take the Islington bus to Islington station. Take the subway going Eastbound (duh, lol) and get off at Yonge/Bloor. Then take the subway going Northbound (it should tell you the next stop is Rosedale) and now you just get comfy and wait till Finch. Once you get to Finch take the 53 bus (never the express, it skips through Henderson) and ask the driver to call out Henderson. If he doesn't know where Henderson is, tell him to get you off @ Maxome. Henderson is across the street from that street, lol.

DLSix

Smash Rookie
Well sunday would be about 500% more convenient for me because it's the ONLY day I know I don't work...and I tend to work a LOT of saturdays. If I come like I said I'll happily bring a wii, smash, and memory card, but I can only be certain I'm coming with sunday. At any rate I think I'd take the islington to finch and ride the finch west to finch station, it'd be much faster than riding the subway from islington station to finch station....that's a lot of stops. I'll check out the TTC bus route to make sure there isn't a faster way, however.

At any rate I think it would probably be a smart idea to take an informal poll or something asking if sundays would be better, worse, or the same, as far as people's schedules go. Other than that, this sounds awesome and I can't wait to finally play some competitive smash.

DLSix

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't.

*In deep voice* "I wouldn't."

*In high pitched voice* "I wouldn't."

*In demonic voice* "I wouldn't."

Well!! Looks like it's unanimous!

<_< >_> <_< >_>...Why are you all looking at me like that? *runs*

Oh but seriously, on that note, I'll also have a friend coming with me as well that has wanted to play some competitive smash for a while. And once august is over, I'll have two, cause one's in argentina at the moment. So glad I stumbled across this forum today. ^_^

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
Sometimes I feel sorry for that guy giving rides like he does. But Ambrose is made of <3.

Seriously, he's made of "less than 3"
Ambrose is made of the best parts of the internet and the best parts of the worst parts of the internet!

Also if more people need sunday I will switch. I don't mind.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
First it was MADNAN

Then it was SADNAN

Then it was GLADNAN

Then it was FADNAN

Now... ZADNAN..?

Wth is a ZADNAN?!

<3 Andy

DLSix

Smash Rookie
Well as of now you've got me and my friend. Not too many, but eh, we'll see. :p

Anyway I'm gonna head off to bed...I'm tired. >_> G'night folks!

180OP

Smash Journeyman
Sunday is good for me. I'll talk to my brother tonight to get a confirmation (he might enlist as well) and check back.

I suggest making the start target time like 10:30 or 11:00 instead of Noon. There are always delays.

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
Sunday is good for me. I'll talk to my brother tonight to get a confirmation (he might enlist as well) and check back.

I suggest making the start target time like 10:30 or 11:00 instead of Noon. There are always delays.
dammit i have to get up early now.

okay. i'll edit that.

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
Before I take my leave, I'm probably going to keep it to saturday this one time. >____>

I'm sorry DLSix but I told people saturday at the rnaking battle and my smashfests and whatnot so people have plans sunday. for future events I will discuss sunday > saturday because i want you to come out too. but this first one will likely stay saturday unless there's an enormous overhaul.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Just for the records, I created Adnamadh.
The whole real-life fusion aspect I'll leave up to you guys.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
Sauga manz!

Okay, so as of now I think we have

Me
Andy
Imadh
Chris
-
-

We'll organize this **** up. Make a call if you plan to travel with the group.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
GTA biweeklies? Hell yeah!

I can't make it to the next one though cuz I'm busy on Saturdays. >< I'll see if I can make it if you make the next one on a Sunday though.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
GTA biweeklies? Hell yeah!

I can't make it to the next one though cuz I'm busy on Saturdays. >< I'll see if I can make it if you make the next one on a Sunday though.
Man, if it weren't for you chasing me down for that money match at Anime North I would honestly think you try to avoid playing us D: but lol it may never be on Sunday due to poor public transportation. (omg, we got so lucky @ TransCan)

rofl I like how this topic went from biweeklies to "What do you call Adnan?"

Europhoria

Smash Lord
David's going to change it to Sunday for next the second bi-weekly since that seems to be more convient for everyone else. The TTC still runs on Sunday people -.-

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I might be able to come.

A more detailed location would be this, right?
85 Henderson Ave, Thornhill, York, Ontario L3T, Canada
I was using Google Maps and wasn't really sure, since there was 2 addresses matching 85 Henderson Ave, but I think this one makes more sense.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Man, if it weren't for you chasing me down for that money match at Anime North I would honestly think you try to avoid playing us D: but lol it may never be on Sunday due to poor public transportation. (omg, we got so lucky @ TransCan)

rofl I like how this topic went from biweeklies to "What do you call Adnan?"
I have the most horrible luck when it comes to smash events. :/ Something always comes up when there's something going on, and sometimes the tournament even gets canceled when I can make it (the old transcan tournament >_>).

Top Bottom