• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashturbation 4: July 26, 2010

idea

Smash Master
Weird, the last one was on June 26.

Monday, July 26.
Doors open at 12:00, Pools registration starts at 1:00.

__________:drmario::mario2::luigi2::bowser2: GTA :peach::yoshi2::dk2::falcon::ganondorf:
:falco::fox::ness2::popo::kirby2: MELEE :samus2::zelda::shiek::link2::younglinkmelee:
______:pichu::pikachu2::jigglypuff::mewtwo: LOCALS :gw::marth::roymelee:

Melee tournament to be held on:

June 26, 2010

Date is subject to change - If weekday (Thursday, Friday - Wednesday, Tuesday, and Monday cannot work) or Sunday is more convenient for the bulk of people, I have no qualms with switching it if notified in advance and it is also doable for me.

The location:

58 Bertha Avenue
Scarborough, ON
M1L 3M2
We have a (partial) basement.

Contact Information

PM my Smashboards account if further details are needed. I am also reachable by [my Smashboards account]. lawl. Don't worry, I check it often.

On request, I can provide a home phone number.

Details:

Doors open at 12:00 am (pm? the lunch one) for setup. Tournament registration begins at 1:00 PM.

No cap at the moment, but we'll see. I mean, the only real constraint is the size of my house. On second thought, tentative cap at 30 people.

Entry fee is $5 and covers both singles event and doubles event. You may choose to not enter singles or doubles respectively but the cost does not change and remains at $5. Tournaments will be done in Double Elimination bracket style, with pools if population can support it. (In other words YOU MIGHT AS WELL ENTER BOTH BECAUSE IT'S MORE MATCHES FOR FREE. Also, while tournament matches are being played, TVs are not free for friendlies, so it's not like you can go bug someone for matches while everyone else is playing out their sets.

Because of the cap, if you do not intend to enter the tournament, I would encourage you to not come. We host an extremely large amount of casual events as it is and it is more than likely you could host one or put one together with ease. The fee ($5 for one event or $2.50 for each event if you enter both) is very inexpensive. [Yes Marik, you can still come, haha]

Similarly, if you say "Maybe", I will not list you in the attendants list. I don't want "Maybe" people clogging the list when I have such limited space (physically, and in terms of possible attendants).

Pot splits will accommodate whether you entered singles and doubles or simply one of them. If you enter singles only your money will only be used in the singles pot.

Tournament Rules:

- Tournament matches take priority over MMs, friendlies, and anything else you can think of. If you are requested to vacate a setup for an official tournament match and are not in an official tournament match, you are obligated to do so immediately.

- Stocks set to 4, Time Limit set to 7:00, Friendly Fire "On" in teams, No items, Life Steal is permitted in teams, Pause "Off" in teams.

- All tournament matches will be called out. It is then your duty to go to the assigned setup and play your match (setups will be labeled). 5 minutes will be given for the opponent to also arrive at the setup. After this 5 minute period, if your opponent fails to arrive at the station he or she will forfeit the set.

- No excessive stalling. Use of the Infinite Wall Bomber to stall (more 30 seconds), Rising Pound offstage to stall (more than 30 seconds), Wobbling beyond 200%, Infinite Wall Kick below Battlefield (more than 30 seconds), constitutes this and will earn you a warning. A second warning will earn you the loss of the set.

- Wobbling is legal, but capped at 200% or it constitutes excessive stalling. [TAKE NOTE, LEGIONS OF TORONTO ICS PLAYERS]

- Pausing is illegal. Accidental pausing will not be tolerated and held against you as if it was intentional. Once will earn you a warning and your opponent may request you drop a stock. A second warning will earn you the loss of the set. Pause can be turned off and is awkwardly in the center of the controller. There is no excuse for accidental pause.

- Pound 4 Rules: Double blind character select and stage strike stage game 1. The winner then bans a stage for the set (this only occurs per each player once). Loser then either calls random or a stage, winner picks his or her character, then the loser selects character. (The latter 2 do not apply in the case of a random match call).

- Sets are Bo3 for all rounds until Winner's Semis, Loser's Semis, which are Bo5. Winner's, Loser's and Grand Finals are also Bo5. [So yes, Semi's are still Best of 5]

- Pools will be done if requested and if there are 16 or more people. Otherwise there will only be a double elimination bracket with only the top 4 - 8 players seeded by power. Regional seeding will be applied regardless.

- Pools may not eliminate players depending on request, and time constraints. A 24 man bracket may be produced. Similarly, a 16 man bracket may also be produced.

Stage Rules:

~~~ Random / Game 1 Stages ~~~

Fountain of Dreams (singles exclusively)
Pokemon Stadium (teams exclusively)

Yoshi's Story
Dreamland 64
Final Destination
Battlefield

~~~ Counterpick Exclusive Stages ~~~

Pokemon Stadium (singles exclusively)
Kongo Jungle 64
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar

This tournament will employ the use of Stage Striking.

Dave's Modified Stupid Rule is implemented: You can use stages you've lost on as counterpick but not the stage you last won on.

After characters are selected, players will Rock Paper Scissors (bo1) for whether they pick first, with the winner choosing to be the First Striker or the Second Striker. Order of striking will go as follows:

First Striker - 1
Second Striker - 2, 3
First Striker - 4

Stage ban is done by the player that previously won, after the win, and before counterpicks occur. Stage bans occur once per set. You may counterpick to the stage you have banned, but not the one your opponent(s) have banned.

In Grand Finals, bans and counterpicks reset if it extends to a second set. A completely new set is played.

~~~ Example of Stage Rules ~~~

NOTE: On a gentleman's agreement, other stages not listed here may be played or used in the tournament.

Etiquette Rules:

- Bring Your Own Controller. You will not be supplied one and others are not obligated to donate one to you. You are responsible for your ability to participate. We are a fairly friendly as a community, but many of us are very protective of our controllers as we require them to perform. Please respect this.

- Please respect the venue. Small things like [throwing stuff out] are very appreciated. Please keep the house clean. Property damage will additionally not be tolerated.

- Drugs and alcohol inside the venue will not be tolerated.

- Show respect to your fellow players. We're all here for the same reason.

Pot Split

Singles
60 / 30 / 10

Teams
60 / 30 / 10

The pot split, like most things here, are subject to change.

Food Options:

~ McDonald's, 10 minute or less walk - Intersection: Victoria Park and St. Clair
~ Grocery store by the McDonald's
~ Subway Sandwiches by the McDonald's
~ Noname burger place - Pharmacy and St. Clair
~ Domino's Pizza, absurdly close to my house
~ Weird Caribbean or some such place, in the same plaza as the Domino's
~ Convenience stores nearby all of the above places

Tentative Schedule:

Doors open:

12:00 am (pm?)
Enter the venue, warm up, play friendlies.

1:00 pm - 1:30 pm...ish
Just don't be late, okay? If you are significantly late and entering you in the tournament would mess up the pools, it becomes questionable whether or not you can still get in. Furthermore, what a waste--you could have spent those hours playing smash bros with us.
note to self: stop being so late to things <_<

Singles Pools:
12:45 pm - 4:00 pm
Three hours is more than enough time to get pools done on the conditions that:
1) we refrain from mass Jigglypuff-dittoing every game on Dreamland complete with Planking
2) people do not dawdle and play their matches

I honestly expect this to be done in two and a half if time is not wasted. Do not waste my time or the time of your peers. The faster pools finishes, the sooner we can eat, and the sooner the tournament is over. Which, in turn, means the sooner we can actually play friendlies.

IMPORTANT TO NOTE: If we have a shortage of set-ups (less than 6) we will not do pools and do a double elimination bracket immediately. Please bring setups if possible. 6 is necessary to finish pools efficiently whether we do 4 pools of 8 or vice versa. Assuming maximum capacity, 6 setups is necessary. Please do your part.

Meal Time:
4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
You have an hour to get your food. It is advised you do not waste it. Plan efficiently. You can eat food in the basement and in the Dining Room here, if you are initially indecisive. If your pool finishes early, you do not have to stay, moreover, so efficiently working through pools means you get more time to eat (or play friendlies during Meal Time if you're not hungry).

Doubles Event:
5:00 - 8:00 pm
Pools (if requested) and brackets for teams are done in this time. This is more than enough time, especially because we have, at maximum, 12 teams entering doubles. There is no reason teams should take this long.

Singles Bracket:
8:00 - Finish
Singles players have been seeded at this point, and the bracket has been corrected, and produced. Singles finishes when it finishes.

IMPORTANT TO NOTE: Following singles I'm going to request 5 minutes of everyone's time (yes, two whole Fox dittos on Pokemon Stadium) to help clean up the house. There will be garbage everywhere (from experience) and I will provide bags to dispose of it. I only want the necessary amount of volunteers to help me bring the bags out to the garbage dump, which is a 2 minute walk (at most). It may very well turn out only I have to go after the bag has gone around and people have deposited their trash in it. However, this is very important to me, and my ability to host more of these hinges on your cooperation in this endeavor.

NOTE: I am 100% okay with altering this schedule and doing singles prior to doubles if that is what the majority wants, or doing the entire doubles event so that people can eat and then go to singles pools. Changes are perfectly acceptable. However, this is not an excuse for spending gratuitous time playing friendlies or going off for a lengthy lunch break when tournament matches need to be played. I am reluctant to add extra time for food when the tournament could be finishing. As far as I am concerned, most of the allocations are generous given the 24 man cap.

NOTE: Other events (such as draft crews, a crews tournament, regional crews) can be suggested (on the boards or on the day of), organized, and accommodated very easily into this schedule if we do not dawdle and systematically work through the regularly scheduled events. The venue officially closes at midnight but I do not mind letting people stay later if conditions allow it. However, that is not an excuse to hold up the tournament and there will be repercussions for doing so, including disqualification and possibly a suspension from future events.

Registration List:
Player____TVs____Consoles____Melee Copies

00 ~ Idea - 3 TVs - 2 cubes - 2 melee discs :)
01~ Sanuzi - ???
02 ~ I.B. - ???
03 ~ Summonedfist - 1 cube - 1 disc :)
04 ~ Riddlebox - 1 cube - 1 disc :)
05 ~ Ministry - 2 or 3 cubes + discs between him and steve :)
06 ~ MadJ - ^ :)
07 ~ Guru - ???
08 ~ Zen - 1 tv - 1 cube - 1 recording stuffs :)
09 ~ TheMightyKiwi - 1 tv - 1 cube - 1 disc :)
10 ~ Europhoria - ???
11 ~ EternalDawn - ???
12 ~ Kirbykaze - ???
13 ~ Sleaf - ???
14 ~ Unknown522 - ???
15 ~ Raynex - ???
16 ~ Anthony - ???
17 ~ Cyan - ???
18 ~ Jagg - ???
19 ~ Windrose - ???

You get a happy face if you bring things.

Sanu

Smash Champion
Also, has anyone seen my silver controller? It had a rubber band on the controller jack, it went missing last Smashturbation at Kyle's (Ideas) place... it was my best controller to date and it appears like someone up and ****ing stole it.

Please let me know thanks :)

SolDarkness

Smash Cadet
****, I have to leave to go back to waterloo that Sunday, so for now put me on some backup list in case u don't meet ur 30 cap. I would totally come if ur singles didnt end so late =/

idea

Smash Master
dammit, smashboards ate my post.

okay, so all that info is copied from KK's thread on the first smashturbation. none of it is set in stone. if you have to be a little late or something then it's probably fine, just tell me about it in advance. that said, it's not like singles events usually end early =P

(but if you already have to go back on the sunday then i guess you couldn't come on monday anyway?)

idea

Smash Master
oh no =(

yeah it's on monday since a whole bunch of people can't make sunday and i'm not free saturday.

well, anyone else wanna team >_<

Riddlebox

Smash Journeyman
~ I'm in probably. Cube and Melee, potentially another set up should I magically come in contact with another disc + We need to get your reg done Kyle. In for Dokapon too if 4 slots aren't already taken. My girl Snowbunny da bess.

Sleaf

Smash Cadet
uhhh sauce, i'm pretty sure you can still make it to this if you have work at 6. Just leave a bit earlier than usual

idea

Smash Master
hmm...i guess i'll put you on the list for now, josh.

lol kyle i'll try teaming with you =\ if you don't find it mad awkward since we've never teamed before haha

confirm me too with a cube and disc
yeah, sure. we can just do some teams friendlies at some point beforehand. and don't worry, sauc3 rested me then got rest punished himself last time, and we still won that match :laugh:

~ I'm in probably. Cube and Melee, potentially another set up should I magically come in contact with another disc + We need to get your reg done Kyle. In for Dokapon too if 4 slots aren't already taken. My girl Snowbunny da bess.
okay. is it max 4 players? unfortunately i think we already have 4 (me/david/ryan/bernard?) but who knows.

sauc3

Smash Lord
uhhh sauce, i'm pretty sure you can still make it to this if you have work at 6. Just leave a bit earlier than usual
I'd have to leave early if i wanted a ride home from hamilton go, cuz my parents go to sleep mad early, and also, i really hate forfeiting bracket matches :p. I don't mind the lack of sleep, its the fact that i wouldn't be able to get a ride home past 9 once i get to hamilton.

my money situation isn't helping either haha, i wanna go but it looks very bleak :(

idea

Smash Master
double post because it's my thread and I DO WHAT I WANT

david - whenever you see this - how would you feel about me setting a cap at X number of people, and if it exceeds that amount, then it could be moved to your house? i have pretty limited space and all.

nick - assuming i remember to go to the bank before monday, i'll pay you back for the hotel room at this. if not, i'll try to do so the day after, when i can reasonably leave my house to go to a bank. but mostly i'll just try really hard to remember to go tomorrow.

idea

Smash Master
Alright, so I'm gonna have to set a cap on the # of people, since david can't host for sure and since we can't use the basement.

There's still a fair amount of space upstairs, though. I'm going to say 20 people, tentatively. Attendance already looks pretty high.

Might be a little tight for a while, but whatever, it always is =P

oh, and as always, brings tvs and setups. so far we have 4 tvs and 3 or 4 setups, something like that, but that's clearly not enough for 20 people.

idea

Smash Master
okay, are either of you entering? cause...i don't really have the space for too many people who aren't entering. (like if one of you doesn't want to then that's okay, but that would be about it, since the basement isn't usable)

Europhoria

Smash Lord
I'm gonna enter since I know I'll be able to come on time now. I'll do teams if Marco goes or something. I dunno if he'll want to do singles.

idea

Smash Master
hi mike =D

and yeah kyle we can team lol, i won't rest you :p
alright, so let's brainstorm stupid teams combos to do...

fox upthrow to rest...fthrow to rest...dthrow to rest...upair to rest when the upair would have killed them anyway :laugh:

or something like dair > shine > rest

i'm noticing a pattern here.

i forgot to mention before, she's my favourite one =3

idea

Smash Master
notice: i went to the bank today, so i can pay people back for apex-related things =)

Kyle, can I help out?

If the cap exceeds it's cool, next time.
hmm...i'm gonna say yes, and you can be the last person who comes but doesn't enter.

so everyone else from now on has to either enter or not come.

stupid small house >_<

i don't know kyle... i don't see the point of those combos

i'd say you rest them off the stage while i go out and shine spike :laugh:

or rest -> laser
rest to anything, really.

Airbender Gyatso

Smash Rookie
hey, i just got into this game. is there any way i could come to this? or is it full? there are a lot of posts in here x_x

Top Bottom