• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMASHPOCALYPSE:: SPOC IX in February? Link to SPOC VIII results in OP

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
If someone brings a Nintendo 64, I'll be doing Mario Kart 64 money matches. I'm still waiting for someone to beat me in a Super Mario RPG knowledge money match.
I'd probaly bring it. Although, Xzax said he got it on his wii, but I'll still bring in just in case.

I also have a Snes. :]

oh, new rules. Hmmm, never done that before. Imma study this.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
agreeing on a stage(icicle mountain) and agreeing on a ruleset are totally diff.
Why is it different and why does it matter? If me and tec0 want to play with bomb-ombs on very high on Green Greens, what can anyone do about it? Chibo said he'd DQ people but how would anyone know? Me and tec0 could just claim it's friendlies or a MM if someone asks.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
HAHA knew it was him lol who won?
I went marth

he got 2 stocked

Why is it different and why does it matter? If me and tec0 want to play with bomb-ombs on very high on Green Greens, what can anyone do about it? Chibo said he'd DQ people but how would anyone know? Me and tec0 could just claim it's friendlies or a MM if someone asks.

im not down with the DQ thingy FYI.

ppl agreeing on a stage is them both seeing some benefit in it. or just fun. A ruleset that dramatically changes the integrity if the meta game seems to explain itself. Theres no way in hell that I would agree to the scar rule set against an IC player. Theres no benefit for me because what I want is already in the current set. with stage agreement both players want something that is outside the boundaries of the rules. Furthermore, the ruleset agreement effects the whole set directly. While the stage agreement is highly variable and can effect the set alot or a little bit.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
ive been practicing tons and tons of melee recently

im better than ive ever been right now.

vanz, lets **** this ****.

everyone else: get ***** in singles. -.-

Alukard

Smash Hero
LMFAOOOOOO hangtime ... i love that game ... me and DJN will **** anyone in that or NBA Jam ... dead serious

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
forcing people to use the rules is ********... if both sides wanna play their tourney match on icicle mountain, what are you gonna do about it?

Anyway, I really hate counterpick stages recently so I like the rule set for myself, but I'm not sure how I feel about it in general. I too am curious about how these rules will affect the results.
Tournaments have rules. Not following them skews results, even if they both have people agree to it. Rules are there for a reason.
For instance: I had Spammer ask me if him and Lord Knight could do their tourney set at BtL in Melee instead of Brawl+. While it's a funny (and almost better) alternative, no I'm not gonna allow that. Say someone goes through Scar's bracket and gets like every single person to agree to old rules with him. Then he gets to a losers bracket match where the opponent forces him to use Scar rules, and he loses. He's going to complain that he would have won if he could have used the old rules the entire tournament.

Four actually. I went to CoT2 also.

I am sick and tired of asking you "Hey Chibo, can you tell me why your rules are this way?" or giving a reason why they shouldn't be the way they are and hearing "I don't give a ****, shut up and don't come if you don't like the rules" from you or "I NEED MATCH EVIDENCE THAT NORFAIR IS UNFAIR". Sure, you can run a tournament with a bad ruleset, but there is no point in pissing off a lot of people by doing that.[/IMG]
I actually remembered CoT2 right after I posted that, but hoped you wouldn't bring it up for your own sake lol. Nothing was wrong with that. Sure it only had like 6 setups or so, but it wasn't really advertised as a big thing. It was the 2nd Smashboards ran tourney GOTM and I had ever hosted. And who DIDN'T have fun? lol
It was pretty ballin' being there till like 2-3am playing Action Replay Melee with Super Peach and Super Zelda/Sheik and me and LK's Sonic Adventure 2 Battle MM :)

As for the other part of your post I quoted, assuming you mean the stage rules and the MK ban at my DSO...
1. I did provide reasons. Just because you didn't agree with them doesn't mean they are invalid reasons.
2. You were arguing about a tournament you had no aspirations of attending.
3. I wish your posts were as kind and gentle-hearted as "Hey Chibo, can you tell me why your rules are this way?" We all know that's not how you approached it.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Oh right, I forgot (don't know if I ever said it) But of course I'll be bringing a Cube, smash, memory card. Just probaly not a tv. :] I don't think my mother would like the idea.

Yeay I'm getting some moneys so hopefully I can enter and play some smash with some people.

Scar

#HarveyDent
You're only supposed to ban things when the game comes down to "this one strategy is 100% unbeatable."

this is the part that i disagree with and for 7 years people have been morons IMO and have encouraged random factors playing a part in tournament sets

it just doesn't interest me at all and i have seen way too many sets come down to stage selection to determine the winner, and competitive gaming isn't about that for me.

everyone pointing out my "if both players don't like my rules" clause, i really dont care lol i feel no need to enforce my ruleset if 2 people don't want to play by it, it's not half-***** at all, it's the rules. but there are also tourney rules that say MFGAR is in effect unless both players agree to a stage, it's something like that.

anyways i think that enough players love SPOC enough to come out to it regardless of stage rules, the level of competition will still be high, turnout should be great, and payouts as always will go to 5th place money back

SPOC or die

Scar

#HarveyDent
also anyone who says the new rules are "unfair to characters" *vanz*

i disagree 100%

it was unfair when they were given the advantages of the nonneutral stages, and my final point is that fox does so well on every cp stage in existence that i think it's stupid to penalize every OTHER character in the game just to make life easier for peach and jigglypuff and canadians

anyways you guys all know how i feel and i think 80% of the people in this thread are indifferent to the new rules, so no point in arguing, this is what's going down and i hold that if both players voice their desire to play by the old SPOC stage rules they can do so

swift i like your rules too but then it's basically standard stages + kj64 and brinstar, but **** brinstar so it's basically my rules anyways

unless you meant keep rainbow cruise and floats but i don't see those being significantly better than corneria when compared to the neutrals

GOTM

Smash Champion
just throw in a curveball and make icicle mountain neutral and unbannable.

just test it out

ill do it. i don giva ****. ill do it

Scar

#HarveyDent
i ***** isai @ FCD

pakman idk what i'm doing for teams, i think i'm fine with neutrals and some cp stages but im not sure which, kj64 will certainly NOT be a legal r1 stage and neither will FoD (obvi)

maybe i'll make it
r1:
DL64, FD, Battlefield

cp stages
Stadium, Yoshi's, KJ64

r1 by stage strike (whoever has slot 1 bans first)

bans in the beginning of subsequent rounds

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Great bay is an awesomely fun stage for doubles. I'm being dead serious.

Scar

#HarveyDent
great bay is mad fun all doubles matches are played on termina

DAAAA DADADADA DA DAAAAAAA

DADADA DAAAAAAA

DA DA DUM!

zelda theme *****

idk for teams im gonna do something not controversial so scratch that. prob the same as singles except 5 stages: kj ps fd dl64 battlefield.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
great bay is mad fun all doubles matches are played on termina

DAAAA DADADADA DA DAAAAAAA

DADADA DAAAAAAA

DA DA DUM!

zelda theme *****

idk for teams im gonna do something not controversial so scratch that. prob the same as singles except 5 stages: kj ps fd dl64 battlefield.
Yaaaaaay =)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
HEY.................. YOU BETTER HOLD L AND R. SARIA's ThEME IS WAY BETTER

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
il hack melee so the zelda theme plays on every stage

does port priority even matter in melee like it does in brawl? its a HUGE thing in brawl, but i never knew it to be influencial in melee, esp for choosing who strikes first. just do it by like if u ask whataya srike first and they do it lol. or if theres a disagreement who strikes first, do RPS BO3

Alukard

Smash Hero
wait ... WTF is up with this ruleset ... i want to see the final choice on wats happening so i can sumhow burn it in my brain and abuse it too lol

Scar

#HarveyDent
no port priority doesn't matter but id rather do it like that than by rock paper scissors, **** takes too long

edit: it doesn't matter as much as ****in gay brawl, it's not gamebreaking, but it does matter enough to offset something else that doesn't really matter like who gets the last ban when both players get 3 strikes

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
I actually remembered CoT2 right after I posted that, but hoped you wouldn't bring it up for your own sake lol. Nothing was wrong with that. Sure it only had like 6 setups or so, but it wasn't really advertised as a big thing. It was the 2nd Smashboards ran tourney GOTM and I had ever hosted. And who DIDN'T have fun? lol
It was pretty ballin' being there till like 2-3am playing Action Replay Melee with Super Peach and Super Zelda/Sheik and me and LK's Sonic Adventure 2 Battle MM :)
How about the part where we had to waste time writing **** on slips to enter? How about Ryoko not getting paid for doubles until after singles started, making it impossible for him to enter? How about you NOT BEING THERE at the announced tournament starting time? It wasn't trash like CoT4 but it was definitely nowhere near Scar level.

As for the other part of your post I quoted, assuming you mean the stage rules and the MK ban at my DSO...
Among other events.

1. I did provide reasons. Just because you didn't agree with them doesn't mean they are invalid reasons.
Bad reasons that I clearly prove wrong are not valid.

2. You were arguing about a tournament you had no aspirations of attending.
So? I might go to future events. I don't bad rules becoming standard at a tournament series I could very well end up going to.

3. I wish your posts were as kind and gentle-hearted as "Hey Chibo, can you tell me why your rules are this way?" We all know that's not how you approached it.
That was how I approached it in the beginning. Then when I got obvious garbage as a response like "lolol don't come to CoT4 if you don't like the rules lolol" when I was explaining why certain stages shouldn't be allowed instead of getting a logical explanation for them I'm obviously not going to be nice about how I ask you things in the future.

this is the part that i disagree with and for 7 years people have been morons IMO and have encouraged random factors playing a part in tournament sets
There is nothing random about Poke Floats. There is nothing random about Rainbow Cruise. I can agree with random not having an effect on tournament sets so I don't like Green Greens or Jungle Japes. However, almost no counterpick stages are based around random events.

it just doesn't interest me at all and i have seen way too many sets come down to stage selection to determine the winner, and competitive gaming isn't about that for me.
me said:
Mango vs M2K wasn't decided by counterpick stages. Armada vs M2K wasn't decided by counterpick stages. Restrictions are only supposed to be put into place when the game is ruined without them and top level players never lose solely because of counterpick stages.
Rules are supposed to be designed around high level play. NOT based on if Inui and DC Scribz losing to random peach #1928390123892 on Mute City.

Scar

#HarveyDent
ok well i didnt watch your armada vs lunin example but apparently chibosempai pointed out what i'm about to point out

armada is probably the best player in the world right now besides mango

lunin is a good fox player... but sry WC i don't think he's going to be winning pound 4 or anything

so why does one of the best players have to BARELY beat someone that otherwise he should just totally garbage assrape

it's not that you can't win on cp stages and it doesn't even matter that they're random, it just takes away from the spirit of the game

being able to not get hit and laser for 90% because the stage is big and moves around changes the dynamic of melee, round 1 stuff like that never happens so why should it be allowed to happen in rounds 2 and 3?

i think that stadium and DL64 give fox enough room to run around and shoot at peach etc, why does anyone need the added advantage of a pokefloats?

cp stages provide an advantage for a player who just lost a match. SPOC gives you no advantage for losing besides choosing which relatively unbiased stage the next round will take place on. and that's final. :)

if you want an advantage for sucking go play mario kart. spam lightning.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
I don't care how the rules are gonna be for this and whatnot. I'm still gonna attend this, ****, and have an amazing time.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Wait, so based on what I've read... is Great Bay not on?

:'(

Top Bottom